• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon Burning Shores |OT|

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Downloaded this last night and was surprised to see no OT for this. Here is a simple one to get the discussion started:
9752d-16795025490677-1920.jpg

Game looks absolutely insane. There is a lot of pop-in while you're flying in the intro scene or are on a boat, but otherwise, this game looks pristine and unlike anything else out there.

You can use a boat to go from island to island. Didnt see much reason to explore other than getting the new currency to buy DLC weapons. Most enemies so far are the same. Frozen Wilds had you face a brand new enemy pretty much right away so this is kinda disappointing but hopefully they are saving it for the story missions. There are exploding barrels/pillars you can shoot to cause environmental damage. Really good to see some destruction in the game. The lava looks gorgeous.

I am a big fan of the Frozen Wilds DLC so excited to give this one a shot.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Alright I gotta get used to the controls again. Called my Sunwing, flew up high, pressed the wrong button, hopped off, and fell to my death because I couldn't remember how to use the glider. I haven't played since a couple weeks after release.
Turn on auto glide in the settings. She will pull the parachute before she lands.

Auto pickup is also very helpful.

On reeee one dude only did the story and ended after 6 hours, he said that if you do everything it's probably 12 hours.

It could also depends on what difficulty mode you chose.
A little dissapointing, but only because I'll take all I can get.
I've voted w/my wallet regardless and am looking forward to it.

GymWolf

I only played like 30 min in quality mode\balanced and i didn't notice much graphical difference with the vanilla game except for the clouds and thunders tbh, the game has the exact same strong points and weak points, some textures are really questionable after seeing the rocks in the ue5 mountain demo, i guess we have to wait for horizon 3 for that level of geometry and perfection.

I'm gonna have a more clear idea about the graphical improvement tonight after a couple of hours.

If i can say something, many people haven't turned the game on since last year so they could be more easy to impress because they don't remember how the game looked or they played with the faulty perf mode or when balanced mode wasn't even a thing, but i played the game for like another 15 hours before the dlc to upgrade all my stuff so the vanilla graphic is pretty fresh in my mind.

Maybe i just didn't played enough or it was too late and i was sleepy (doubt it)

Spyxos

I installed the game over 40 min from the bd and only after installing it downloads the patch for another 40+ minutes. Is it really that hard to do both at the same time?

Haha and now downloading Burning Shores Dlc for another 30+ minutes. It doesn't get any more stupid than that.

Kvally

Banned
So far, it's pretty good. Really don't notice much graphically other than clouds/weather. No biggie. It's fun. I am glad I get to cruise around on a boat now though :) And I get sad when I hear Lance :(

Any non-guessing comments on length yet?

(Already installed and stoked to play later today)

Other forum I am on said 5 hours for the campaign/story. He is now going back to get the side stuff done.

Humdinger

Don't notice much graphically besides the weather? Well, maybe there's a big showcase fight coming up.

If he says 5 hrs, I'll play at least 10. That's a good deal for $20.

Last edited:

skit_data

Got too much of a backlog to play this atm, but I’ll be back in a couple of months for the lesbian drama I’m already seeing making the rounds on twitter

GymWolf

A little dissapointing, but only because I'll take all I can get.
I've voted w/my wallet regardless and am looking forward to it.
I knew that the lenght of the dlc would have been around 15 hours if you do everything on ultra hard so i'm not that upset.

Many dlc for other games cost more and last way less, only witcher 3 does better.

FUBARx89

The new bird machines are absolutely rancid on higher difficulties, tied with Clamberjaws for being annoying on first encounter with them.

Enjoying it so far, even if its more of the same

Last edited:

Drizzlehell

Banned
Is this really going to have one of those giant squid things walking around? Or is this just a cheap tease?

Every time I stumbled upon one of those giant husks embedded in mountain faces, I thought to myself how much of a wasted potential those things were. Because how awesome it would be to actually square off against one of them or at least have some kind of a set piece featuring those monstrosities? Kinda like Reapers in Mass Effect.

Last edited:

Markio128

I’m 30 minutes in so far and I haven’t started the first mission yet. I decided to get in the boat and explore some of the small islands near the settlement. I’ve killed a rat with an arrow strong enough to take down a snap jaw and chased dozens of tiny birds from the beach.

It could be me, but I feel like they have dialled up the DualShock rumble with this update. A nearby waterfall caused it to rumble pretty hard and I hadn’t noticed that before.

GymWolf

Is this really going to have one of those giant squid things walking around? Or is this just a cheap tease?

Every time I stumbled upon one of those giant husks embedded in mountain faces, I thought to myself how much of a wasted potential those things were. Because how awesome it would be to actually square off against one of them or at least have some kind of a set piece featuring those monstrosities? Kinda like Reapers in Mass Effect.
I don't think the ps4 was powerfull enough to have this thing as a set piece battle.

I mean, they could do it but they probably had to cut corners here and there.

This was one of the reasons why people were mad that fw was crossgen.

Last edited:

Valt7786

I'll fully accept that I'm just bad, but how on earth do people cope with the combat in this on Ultra Hard? Everything feels Ultra-aggressive, even on normal, everything slows or knocks you down. I'm clearly missing something, what is it? >_>

GymWolf

I'll fully accept that I'm just bad, but how on earth do people cope with the combat in this on Ultra Hard? Everything feels Ultra-aggressive, even on normal, everything slows or knocks you down. I'm clearly missing something, what is it? >_>
You just need to have your build on point.

Right now i'm using a legendary warrior bow (the fast shooting one usable in close range) with coils that can guarante 6% of change of instantly frozing an enemy no matter how resistant is an an enemy to ice attacks (but you can chose other elements aswell), and since my rate of fire is super high, the enemies stay frozen for most of the time, then i use the shotgun technique for that weapon mixed with the valor surge that grants you more change of critical hits to do a truckload of damage in very short time.
I also have an armour that greatly enhance melee damage and the blue explosive thing that you build on enemies, so i just fuck up small and medium dinos with ease (i use the bow for the bigger ones), the armour also guarante a huge bonus for the shooting if i smack an enemy with melee first, it's all connected like a good build should be.

The game is an action RPG, all the weapons type are viable and super OP if you nerd on your build.

Watch some weapons and skill guides in the arktix channel if you are confused.

Last edited:

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
Debating this. I’d have to relearn all the controls again I haven’t played the game in a long time. It’s been what 2 years? Depends on if the new weapons and armors make it worth it to go back. I probably wouldn’t do it just on jumping back on to experience the gameplay alone.

Humdinger

I'm about an hour in, and it's good so far. More of the same, so if you didn't like the base game, never mind, but it's good for anyone who likes the base game.

Rac3r

Not to nitpick, but the DLC outfits/armor are even worse than the base game outfits, which weren't great to begin with. Guerilla are masters at the technical part of game development (one of the best in the industry), but have been lacking on the creative aspects. They play it way too safe.

Anyways, overall I'm having fun with the DLC. Well worth the $20 for me.

Robbinhood

Banned
You just need to have your build on point.

Right now i'm using a legendary warrior bow (the fast shooting one usable in close range) with coils that can guarante 6% of change of instantly frozing an enemy no matter how resistant is an an enemy to ice attacks (but you can chose other elements aswell), and since my rate of fire is super high, the enemies stay frozen for most of the time, then i use the shotgun technique for that weapon mixed with the valor surge that grants you more change of critical hits to do a truckload of damage in very short time.
I also have an armour that greatly enhance melee damage and the blue explosive thing that you build on enemies, so i just fuck up small and medium dinos with ease (i use the bow for the bigger ones), the armour also guarante a huge bonus for the shooting if i smack an enemy with melee first, it's all connected like a good build should be.

The game is an action RPG, all the weapons type are viable and super OP if you nerd on your build.

Watch some weapons and skill guides in the arktix channel if you are confused.

Thanks for this, I'm straight ass at this game and need some guidance.

I really want to use some of my other cool weapons but they are so expensive resource wise I don't bother. Imagine missing a shot with something that cost 20% of your total resource to reload it.

Also I held out hope they would return the image quality to 1.0 which had the best clarity ever and you can pinpoint texture detail a mile away, individual leaves you can see all the strains on them but they never did. Patch after patch I got excited. Its slightly blurry in comparison but makes all the difference.

Last edited:

mitchman

Gold Member
You can use a boat to go from island to island. Didnt see much reason to explore other than getting the new currency to buy DLC weapons. Most enemies so far are the same. Frozen Wilds had you face a brand new enemy pretty much right away so this is kinda disappointing but hopefully they are saving it for the story missions. There are exploding barrels/pillars you can shoot to cause environmental damage. Really good to see some destruction in the game. The lava looks gorgeous.

I am a big fan of the Frozen Wilds DLC so excited to give this one a shot.
Didn't run into the jumping frog yet, I gather. I met that right away and had to fight a really tough enemy that is brand new to the DLC.

sncvsrtoip

I usually prefer 40fps modes but after Guerilla learned how to make good res reprojection 60fps looks so insane in motion its a sin not to play using this mode ;d

Last edited:
Top Bottom