• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon Burning Shores |OT|

I played for like an hour again just trying to get back used to the game since I literally hadn't touched it after running through the main game when it first launched. It looks nice so far but I didn't really dive into missions or anything(LIterally went around gathering what I could, buying stuff, and I started one of the little sidequests one of the women in the new area gives out then turned it off to cook)

Should be free tomorrow so im going to try and give it a few hours in the afternoon

scydrex

This game looks incredible in balance mode. Played a bit today. Met seyka of whatever and saved at the quen post. The new weapons looked awesome and the armors too.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
I’m disappointed at how slow the flying still is. Went up to the clouds. Looks pretty but the slow speed just kills it for me. Can’t wait for avatar. Its clear that they reduced it to limit the pop in which is a big issue this time around because of the way the levels are designed. But i think they should’ve reduced their native 4k 30 fps target if they can’t manage the pop in at such high resolutions.

So far I’m not a fan of how much climbing they want us to do in this game. This isn’t uncharted guys. At least upgrading weapons didn’t require a million parts this time around.

I’m disappointed at how slow the flying still is. Went up to the clouds. Looks pretty but the slow speed just kills it for me. Can’t wait for avatar. Its clear that they reduced it to limit the pop in which is a big issue this time around because of the way the levels are designed. But i think they should’ve reduced their native 4k 30 fps target if they can’t manage the pop in at such high resolutions.

So far I’m not a fan of how much climbing they want us to do in this game. This isn’t uncharted guys. At least upgrading weapons didn’t require a million parts this time around.
Water wing is a little faster.

Tommi84

Flying is fun
MWpEAbq.jpg

Last edited:

Nydius

Just watched the credits roll and finished the Epilogue for 100% completion and... I'm kinda disappointed.

Too short, too many graphical glitches, insane amounts of pop in and lighting problems, Los Angeles just wasn't as interesting a location as it could have been, the Waterwing was a massive nothingburger, the new weapons (including the Zenith one) were pretty bad compared to the NG+ and Arena weapons, and the antagonist was pretty crap.

And, of course, the illusion of choice ending.

Further thoughts below the spoiler tag, but it's late and I'm a bit scatterbrained so apologies if they ramble.
First, the biggie: Aloy & Sekya romance.

I couldn't care less about Aloy being a lesbian -- I had suspicions since the first game when she was coy around Avad. That doesn't bother me at all. What does bother me is how hurried and forced the entire 'relationship' was. Unlike games like Mass Effect or Dragon Age where you spend dozens of hours with the characters prior to a romance arc, I spent a combined 4 hours total with Sekya over the course of my 9 hours in the Burning Shores. This whole thing was the epitome of I just met you, and this is crazy, but here's my Focus, kiss me maybe.

And what was the foundation of their romance? Not much. Just the fact that Aloy looked at Sekya and saw herself (and vice versa). There was no real romantic build up between them, the game just kept hammering home the point that Aloy and Sekya were the same, so the entire relationship is built on a flawed, borderline narcissistic, foundation. They don't really know who each other is, just that they see themselves reflected back. Meh. In real life, those kinds of relationships tend to fizzle fast.

I reloaded the save and tried all three ending options and it's clear it's an illusion of choice and, moving forward, the relationship will be canon.

Okay, that out of the way, some other thoughts:

No Tallnecks at all. What the fuck.

Too many collections padding the playtime, not enough world building side quests. Though finding the Oktoberfest ornament for Stemmur made me smile. A holiday about beer and food? For an Oseram, that's heaven.

Very little about Los Angeles stood out. LAX, the Chinese Theater, the Hollywood sign, and Capitol Records building was about it. Most of it was just generic lava and jungle.

The Waterwing was pointless. You needed its functionality for one quest. After that, there was no useful purpose to diving under water. I expected it would open up a whole new way to explore, areas we wouldn't be able to see otherwise. Nope. Just a reskinned Sunwing with a trick.

The geysers for the shieldwing and the skiff could have been great additions had they committed to keeping you out of the air for most of the DLC. But they let us get Sunwing back pretty quickly, which made those new features rather unnecessary except when they were included as part of a story mission.

For all their pre-release hype about the graphics, I found entirely too many graphical glitches -- texture pop in, shadow pop in, textures not loading properly (especially where buildings met water or lava), etc. Sometimes the foliage and tree pop-in was atrocious.

I liked the new elite weaves which allow for greater flexibility for armor loadouts, but despite buying all of them I stuck with my good old upgraded Nora Hunter armor or wtfever it's called from the Arena. Though I will permanently keep it transmogrified as the Quen Marine outfit, which I really like the looks of.

Seemed like most of the music was recycled from the base game? I didn't hear very many new tracks.

Not a fan that this new patch has erased all of our original characters from their post-game locations and replaced them with "notes" (with exception to Beta and Sylens). We won't be able to see Erend, Kotello, Zo, or Alva again until the next game. And, of course, we have no idea what's going to happen with Sylens given the real life loss of Lance Reddick (RIP).

Overall, I doubt I'm going to play this again. I've seen everything it has to offer. Definitely a big step below HZD's The Frozen Wilds, IMO.

BiLusob.jpg

Last edited:

GymWolf

Thanks for this, I'm straight ass at this game and need some guidance.

I really want to use some of my other cool weapons but they are so expensive resource wise I don't bother. Imagine missing a shot with something that cost 20% of your total resource to reload it.

Also I held out hope they would return the image quality to 1.0 which had the best clarity ever and you can pinpoint texture detail a mile away, individual leaves you can see all the strains on them but they never did. Patch after patch I got excited. Its slightly blurry in comparison but makes all the difference.
That's why i use that build, the arrows for a war bow only cost like 5 shards and 2 pieces of wood so you can spam them all you want.

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
Just watched the credits roll and finished the Epilogue for 100% completion and... I'm kinda disappointed.

Too short, too many graphical glitches, insane amounts of pop in and lighting problems, Los Angeles just wasn't as interesting a location as it could have been, the Waterwing was a massive nothingburger, the new weapons (including the Zenith one) were pretty bad compared to the NG+ and Arena weapons, and the antagonist was pretty crap.

And, of course, the illusion of choice ending.

Further thoughts below the spoiler tag, but it's late and I'm a bit scatterbrained so apologies if they ramble.
First, the biggie: Aloy & Sekya romance.

I couldn't care less about Aloy being a lesbian -- I had suspicions since the first game when she was coy around Avad. That doesn't bother me at all. What does bother me is how hurried and forced the entire 'relationship' was. Unlike games like Mass Effect or Dragon Age where you spend dozens of hours with the characters prior to a romance arc, I spent a combined 4 hours total with Sekya over the course of my 9 hours in the Burning Shores. This whole thing was the epitome of I just met you, and this is crazy, but here's my Focus, kiss me maybe.

And what was the foundation of their romance? Not much. Just the fact that Aloy looked at Sekya and saw herself (and vice versa). There was no real romantic build up between them, the game just kept hammering home the point that Aloy and Sekya were the same, so the entire relationship is built on a flawed, borderline narcissistic, foundation. They don't really know who each other is, just that they see themselves reflected back. Meh. In real life, those kinds of relationships tend to fizzle fast.

I reloaded the save and tried all three ending options and it's clear it's an illusion of choice and, moving forward, the relationship will be canon.

Okay, that out of the way, some other thoughts:

No Tallnecks at all. What the fuck.

Too many collections padding the playtime, not enough world building side quests. Though finding the Oktoberfest ornament for Stemmur made me smile. A holiday about beer and food? For an Oseram, that's heaven.

Very little about Los Angeles stood out. LAX, the Chinese Theater, the Hollywood sign, and Capitol Records building was about it. Most of it was just generic lava and jungle.

The Waterwing was pointless. You needed its functionality for one quest. After that, there was no useful purpose to diving under water. I expected it would open up a whole new way to explore, areas we wouldn't be able to see otherwise. Nope. Just a reskinned Sunwing with a trick.

The geysers for the shieldwing and the skiff could have been great additions had they committed to keeping you out of the air for most of the DLC. But they let us get Sunwing back pretty quickly, which made those new features rather unnecessary except when they were included as part of a story mission.

For all their pre-release hype about the graphics, I found entirely too many graphical glitches -- texture pop in, shadow pop in, textures not loading properly (especially where buildings met water or lava), etc. Sometimes the foliage and tree pop-in was atrocious.

I liked the new elite weaves which allow for greater flexibility for armor loadouts, but despite buying all of them I stuck with my good old upgraded Nora Hunter armor or wtfever it's called from the Arena. Though I will permanently keep it transmogrified as the Quen Marine outfit, which I really like the looks of.

Seemed like most of the music was recycled from the base game? I didn't hear very many new tracks.

Not a fan that this new patch has erased all of our original characters from their post-game locations and replaced them with "notes" (with exception to Beta and Sylens). We won't be able to see Erend, Kotello, Zo, or Alva again until the next game. And, of course, we have no idea what's going to happen with Sylens given the real life loss of Lance Reddick (RIP).

Overall, I doubt I'm going to play this again. I've seen everything it has to offer. Definitely a big step below HZD's The Frozen Wilds, IMO.

BiLusob.jpg

Graphically this game is top notch, but Aloy is butt ass ugly 🤷‍♂️ Does she still grunt talk like shes holding in a massive shit?

Last edited:

GymWolf

I was feeling the same thing. The Machines are so large that even if you dodge properly they just land on you lol.
You people need to start using slide+roll.

It covers way more distance and the invulnerability frames are higher when you start sliding compared to rolling.

Turn the always run toggle so you just have to press square to slide while running.

GymWolf

It would feel more original for her to be straight at this point with how many Sony games already do that.
Nathan drake is straight
Joel was straight like a golf club
Kratos is straight
Deacon was super straight
Selene from returnal is straight
Ratchet wank on furries but he is technically straight or asexual at the very worst
Jin from sushima was straight
Ellie...like to use straight dildos.
Peter parker is straight
Morales the Chipmunk is straight

We know that all the big western producers are performative woke but straight protagonists is a no problem for sony.

SlimySnake

It covers way more distance and the invulnerability frames are higher when you start sliding compared to rolling.

Turn the always run toggle so you just have to press square to slide while running.
Or just give us the long dodge that Horizon Zero Dawn had.

I hate the fucking choices they made for the combat. Hey, lets make enemies more aggressive AND have them jump at you at all times AND give them all ranged attacks AND limit your dodge roll. Whoever is the combat designer for this game should be fired and forced to work on fortnite.

Tripolygon

Banned
Nathan drake is straight
Kratos is straight
Ratchet wank on furries but he is technically straight or asexual at the very worst
Peter parker is straight

We know that all the big western producers are performative woke but straight protagonists is a no problem for sony.
I think the difference is, they don't wanna fuck any of those guys, so it doesn't count. They want more "straight" women they can put their sexual fantasies on. Lol

Abby is straight.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Or just give us the long dodge that Horizon Zero Dawn had.

I hate the fucking choices they made for the combat. Hey, lets make enemies more aggressive AND have them jump at you at all times AND give them all ranged attacks AND limit your dodge roll. Whoever is the combat designer for this game should be fired and forced to work on fortnite.
I don't mind that at all, my build is super op, without hyper aggression and a lot of moves to look for the game would be a joke.

Thank god for having an open world action rpg where no matter how op you are, enemies can still fuck you up and you can't play in a careless way, it's pretty rare these days.

In sushima i was god on earth after 15 hours.

But yeah i miss the long roll.

The slide + roll covers more ground tho, you just need to get used to press square instead of circle or you can remap square on circle.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

I don't mind that at all, my build is super op, without hyper aggression and a lot of moves to look for the game would be a joke.

Thank god for having an open world action rpg where no matter how op you are, enemies can still fuck you up and you can't play in a careless way, it's pretty rare these days.

In sushima i was god on earth after 15 hours.
there has to be good defensive options no matter how hard the game is. They needed to add a shield, and maybe a parry after HZD but instead of doing that they removed the long dodge and added fuck all in terms of defensive options.

Imagine souls and god of war without parry and shield. I get that this is a shooter but with just how long it takes to load and shoot arrows and just how aggressive the enemies are at charging you, it plays like a melee shooter hybrid.

IIRC, Infamous 1 gave you a shield around half way through the game and that was a non-traditional shooter too. I dont mind hard games. I dont mind aggressive enemies, but i need to be given tools to combat them.

Yea I think that's partly of the problem. Most of the time I only ever roll. But I did realize last night that you can slide unnaturally long distances. Once I started doing that against the Frog monster I had a much easier time avoiding it.

I then cheesed it because I found out that it couldn't jump off a ledge due to an invisible wall that only I could pass though when traversing the space.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Yea I think that's party of the problem. Most of the time I only ever roll. But I did realize last night that you can slide unnaturally long distances. Once I started doing that against the Frog monster I had a much easier time avoiding it.

I then cheesed it because I found out that it couldn't jump off a ledge due to an invisible wall that only I could pass though when traversing the space.
I personally loved the new frog enemy, if you don't attack him he use his robo-tongue to eat the small robots, it is so fucking cool.

I got stomped a lot before starting using the slide, sometimes i forget about it.

Last edited:
I personally loved the new frog enemy, if don't attack him he use his robo-tongue to eat the small robots, it is so fucking cool.

I got stomped a lot before starting using the slide, sometimes i forget about it.
Same! Yea it was actually pretty cool. I did notice that though, it lays the eggs, the mosquito bots hatch and then it eats them haha. Which, in the context of the machines being made to help the environment makes really no sense but it still was epic to look at.

And I just noticed in on of your comments above that you mentioned the long dodge roll was removed. So stupid! I didn't know that and partially where my confusion was coming from! I kept holding the dodge button down thinking I was doing that and never noticed otherwise LMAO!

Why the hell would they remove that. It was a great feature.

there has to be good defensive options no matter how hard the game is. They needed to add a shield, and maybe a parry after HZD but instead of doing that they removed the long dodge and added fuck all in terms of defensive options.

Imagine souls and god of war without parry and shield. I get that this is a shooter but with just how long it takes to load and shoot arrows and just how aggressive the enemies are at charging you, it plays like a melee shooter hybrid.

IIRC, Infamous 1 gave you a shield around half way through the game and that was a non-traditional shooter too. I dont mind hard games. I dont mind aggressive enemies, but i need to be given tools to combat them.
I cannot stress enough how much they really, Really, REALLYYYY should have made the glider shield a MOTHER FUCKING shield for Alloy. They really blew it with that one.

I mean what the fuck Guerilla, we fight an enemy who is using as a shield to aquire that item and then can't use it as a shield? Only as a glider. What kind of game design sense does that make!?

Last edited:

GymWolf

Same! Yea it was actually pretty cool. I did notice that though, it lays the eggs, the mosquito bots hatch and then it eats them haha. Which, in the context of the machines being made to help the environment makes really no sense but it still was epic to look at.

And I just noticed in on of your comments above that you mentioned the long dodge roll was removed. So stupid! I didn't know that and partially where my confusion was coming from! I kept holding the dodge button down thinking I was doing that and never noticed otherwise LMAO!

Why the hell would they remove that. It was a great feature.
It make sense because those are robots that search resources to bring them into other facilities like cauldrons.

You can see the class of the robots in the notes.

Not every robot actively heal the planet, they all have different purposes.

People love to shit on horizon lore and writing but the amount of care and details to make everything "believable" is astonishing.

It make sense because those are robots that search resources to bring them into other facilities like cauldrons.

You can see the class of the robots in the notes.

Not every robot actively heal the planet, they all have different purposes.

People love to shit on horizon lore and writing but the amount of care and details to make everything "believable" is astonishing.
Ok yea that makes sense then. The lore certainly isn't really an issue with the game.

GymWolf

Sure i would love a shield, not sure if it would make the game too easy or if parrying a big ass robot would look and sound utterly ridicolous tho, balancing a game with so much going on must be hell.

The dlc has shields that you can put on the ground ala halo infinite, useful if you use a sharpshooter bow and fight from long distance.

Guerrilla listened to the many critics people made to the first one (even if some fix were crap) so i'm sure that a shield is gonna be at the very least discussed during the next horizon 3 meetings.

Last edited:
If you played the main game in Ultra Hard on New Game Plus, you either have to play Burning Shores on Ultra Hard or start a whole new New Game Plus on a lower difficulty and play all the way through the story before you can play this on a lower difficulty.

Salz01

Played a bit of the dlc. This series remains one of the most overrated bloatware Sony products out there. My least liked Sony Franchise. Also, all the swimming in that armor she wears is totally stupid. You can’t swim in that…. But sure can’t give her anything that resembles a skin tight wetsuit, oh god no can’t do that….

FeastYoEyes

Nathan drake is straight
Kratos is straight
Peter parker is straight

Fair enough -- I was wrong. Thank you for calling me out.

I think the difference is, they don't wanna fuck any of those guys, so it doesn't count. They want more "straight" women they can put their sexual fantasies on. Lol

Abby is straight.
Oof. Ouch. So reductive. And used the tired ass 2002 stereotype of gamers are sexually bankrupt moms basement losers who wanna Jack off the pixels.

Now I won’t deny that maybe there’s a portion of gamers that might fall into what you’re saying, but what it really is, is that for male characters sans Spider-Man because they basically have to do the MJ romance, Nathan drake who had the Elena romance baked in from before the industry went woke, and deacon which a lot of gaming journalist tore apart for being horny for his own wife, no male characters act on their sexuality or display it like the gay females get to.

For example, last of us 2, very open gay relationship, aloy here, very open, makes out at the end. It’s great! I thought it was very sweet. We switch to our male characters and they’re a little more sanitized. Joel gets a small throwaway little subtextual line in the first game implying something maybe with Tess. Blink and you miss it. Then gets his romance in the sequel gets cut out. Jin never shows any emotional or sexual attraction to the opposite sex. We never see kratos do anything with his wife except row a boat and walk and talk. Which were good scenes don’t me wrong, and I don’t think anyone is asking for a kratos sex scene but we never see him and his Deborah Ann wolf wife kiss ever. I think it’s more about just parity for most people.

Last edited:

Nydius

I hate the fucking choices they made for the combat. Hey, lets make enemies more aggressive AND have them jump at you at all times AND give them all ranged attacks AND limit your dodge roll.
Don’t forget how they all now have multiple knockdowns and knock back attacks. Far more than they did in HZD. My biggest frustration playing the game were these knock backs and how, no matter how carefully you approached a fight, there’d inevitably be one point where you’re repeatedly rag dolled around and can‘t do anything until the machine jumps far enough away.

Spyxos

I don't understand why there's so much pop-in in Burning Shores when the main game didn't suffer from that. Anyone have a possible explanation?
It had much more pop in main game. In my case, sometimes entire buildings have not loaded or loaded late. In that desert area.

diffusionx

Gold Member
I am playing HFW and was thinking I would just go straight into this afterwards but yea I'm happy to skip it. I really liked HZD but can't help but feel HFW is a massive misstep and a major disappointment the more I play it, and it seems lie this is more of the same.

Mossybrew

Yeah. I've focused on maxing out those concentration skills, so I spend a lot of time in fights with generous slo-mo aiming, which really makes these beasts manageable. Sure sometimes I'll get knocked down and Aloy always seems so slow getting up, but I find the challenge just right, the dinos make me work for the kill, but it never feels too frustrating.

GymWolf

Yeah. I've focused on maxing out those concentration skills, so I spend a lot of time in fights with generous slo-mo aiming, which really makes these beasts manageable. Sure sometimes I'll get knocked down and Aloy always seems so slow getting up, but I find the challenge just right, the dinos make me work for the kill, but it never feels too frustrating.
Especially when you have multiple way to stop them in their tracks between ropecaster and the new glue element that stops them from jumping and doing big melee attacks.

I don't use those, but i'm not sure why other people don't use them, if they have such an hard time with super aggressive enemies, the game really gives you all the tools to deal with the dinobots and then some.

I cannot stress enough how much they really, Really, REALLYYYY should have made the glider shield a MOTHER FUCKING shield for Alloy. They really blew it with that one.

I mean what the fuck Guerilla, we fight an enemy who is using as a shield to aquire that item and then can't use it as a shield? Only as a glider. What kind of game design sense does that make!?
Sure i would love a shield, not sure if it would make the game too easy or if parrying a big ass robot would look and sound utterly ridicolous tho, balancing a game with so much going on must be hell.

The dlc has shields that you can put on the ground ala halo infinite, useful if you use a sharpshooter bow and fight from long distance.

Guerrilla listened to the many critics people made to the first one (even if some fix were crap) so i'm sure that a shield is gonna be at the very least discussed during the next horizon 3 meetings.
Guerrilla said in the game guide book that Aloy was going to have a shield but they had to drop it because the controls got to complicated.

So yeah it's hard to believe that they will not find a way to implement a shield in the third game when they already wanted Forbidden West to have one. It was the same thing for the glider that was supposed to be in the first game.

Last edited:
Top Bottom