• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon criticized by Native American writer for "brave", "savage", other terms

i think it would've been cool if Aloy was of Native American heritage even though horizon takes place in the opposite span of time - future, not the past

I agree it would've been fantastic, but I don't see why a native american in the future would be any more notable than a black or asian or white character? We're still around fortunately.

I know you probably just meant the native americans of the past before white colonists came along, but I think most Americans (and probably Europeans) do seem to see native americans as historical legend at this point, like vikings or Celts, whose culture they can just do what they want with. This invisible aspect of native americans in American culture keeps the Redskins and Braves around and white girls wearing native headdresses to music festivals, and natives like the author writing pieces to bring up these issues.

geordiemp

I dont understand, Horizon is set in the future, so surely it has nothing to do with any modern or past human cultures and people just assuming references.

There are some words and phrases that have clear connotations and should be used sparingly and carefully, but as a progressive it's really frustrating when people grasp at anything to ether stir up controversy or use it as a tool for discussion despite potentially hurting the reputation of the person or work of fiction that they are calling into question.

Maybe I'm just a white guy who doesn't get it. Reading things like this about the use of tribal and savage makes me not take the author serious as opposed to critically thinking about the topic being addressed. It just seems like fake outrage, although outrage isn't how I would describe this particular piece.

Two Words

But once you leave you meet black npcs, asian npcs, and indian npcs who are all named who are also not related. In fact I'd argue that you start to see less and less white NPCs as you go on.
Yeah, I acknowledge that I'm still pretty early on. Just saying that seeing the first 3 names black NPCs be that way wasn't the best start.

There are some words and phrases that have clear connotations and should be used sparingly and carefully, but as a progressive it's really frustrating when people grasp at anything to ether stir up controversy or use it as a tool for discussion despite potentially hurting the reputation of the person or work of fiction that they are calling into question.

Maybe I'm just a white guy who doesn't get it. Reading things like this about the use of tribal and savage makes me not take the author serious as opposed to critically thinking about the topic being addressed. It just seems like fake outrage, although outrage isn't how I would describe this particular piece.

The author is very vague in the descriptions of how it would be harmful. "might be" and "could be" are those vague statements you can insert into almost anything.

Now it's damn unpleasant when your culture and heritage is being co-opted by others for intentions you do not like. I understand the upset. It kills me to see Neo-Nazis rallying behind nordic mythology, runes, germanic scripts and other things norse. So I get it. We have a connection to our past.
Even though I am of the opinion that cultural fetisism can be dangerous (like nationalism) I sympathize. I really do.

I think clear examples of cultural appropriation when it's appropriate to be annoyed is when you see someone takes inspiration from a Tang Dynasty era warrior and calls it a Samurai. That to me would be a clear example of not even doing the minimal amount of research, and confusing things cultures- Not as a intentional mix, but out of ignorance. That sort of handling of other cultures- Like not knowing the difference between a Sikh and a Muslim. You should know these things and do the research.

Having not played Horizon I do not know if the game makes a mockery of tribe people. I've let my dissatisfaction be known in prior threads about not liking Ahoys character design. To me it looks like a weird mix of celtic, pictish, irish, icelandic, inka and aztec all rolled into one. I don't sense native American inspiration from the trailers I saw, but regardless, if the game is a big mixed pot of all sorts of different things it is what it is.
On one hand you could say that even if the tribe people in the game are not designed to be native Americans it might still hit close to home and that is a valid point I think.

The main character being white- Is that cultural appropriation or just an example of white supremacy in culture? Perhaps both? I'd imagine that a decision like that was made early and to maximize appeal. The only other native American character I can think of (in a game I've played) is Connor from AC3 and even he was half-white- Presumably to make the white majority audience feel more relateable to the characters. An argument you could probably also make for a movie like The Last of the Mohicans.

I'd imagine Ahoy working as a native American. I don't like a her plum look or hairdo. But I've not played the game- I just find her character design off putting. I am speculating if I would have warmed up to her design if she had been native American. I imagine I still would have been put off by the weird fusion of pelts, and futiristic garbage trinket and ornaments.

Over designed, busy work. Reminds me of belt buckle galore final fantasy character design. where Instead of making a more interesting basic character, they just go to town with strapping all kinds of crap and bullshit. That's not a slant specifically on Horizon, but just a lot of character designs in general and also in a lot of pop culture animated films.

snoopers

I am multitalented
America is so used to being the center of the world and the apex of pop culture that the very idea that other peoples independently dared use leather from animals and feathers from birds without their consent baffles them.
And that vision of the world leaks of course to its opressed people. That's why you have pan-Africanists claiming everything is really a black invention, and why you have this bullshit.
Because let's face it, the article stems from the flawed assumption that Aloy and her pals are indeed based on Native Americans.
It's not like the 95% of the World's population are not American, the 99.9% are not native Americans, and ALL of those other people happen to have ancestors who were hunters-gatherers.

Are we seriously supposed to believe Horizon's world was not inspired - at least in part - by Native America/Americans?

1bQ9Hb1.jpg

And btw yes, America is the center of the world when it comes to entertainment and pop culture. It's also the biggest market for PS4.

I agree it would've been fantastic, but I don't see why a native american in the future would be any more notable than a black or asian or white character? We're still around fortunately.

I know you probably just meant the native americans of the past before white colonists came along, but I think most Americans (and probably Europeans) do seem to see native americans as historical legend at this point, like vikings or Celts, whose culture they can just do what they want with. This invisible aspect of native americans in American culture keeps the Redskins and Braves around and white girls wearing native headdresses to music festivals, and natives like the author writing pieces to bring up these issues.
because (if horizon takes place on the north american continent, i'm not sure if it does or not) it would be kinda symbolic of the first group of humans who showed up to this land, which we call native americans, the protagonist of this series be descended from that same race of people, be one of the last still surviving in the land.

i'm of the opinion also that america should represent native american culture more in its actual culture. they were the first americans.

Are we seriously supposed to believe Horizon's world was not inspired - at least in part - by Native America/Americans?

1bQ9Hb1.jpg

And btw yes, America is the center of the world when it comes to entertainment and pop culture. It's also the biggest market for PS4.

Isn't assuming cultural appropriation of Native American culture stereotyping? Guerilla is a European studio, and it's entirely reasonable to believe one of the inspirations for Horizon's people and culture were European primitive societies? Furthermore, mixing those ideas and characteristics with Native American ones shouldn't be seen as cultural appropriation of Native Americans. If it is, then I have a fundamental disagreement with anybody who feels that way.

That I guess is one of my biggest issues with these sorts of complaints. An artist should be able to use aspects of other cultures without the risk of offending people who are sensitive to negative stereotypes of those cultures unless the specific elements are presented in a way that is somehow clearly nefarious or harmful.

I've been sitting this one out, because I'd never heard of 'cultural appropriation' before, but I've got to respond to that massively sweeping statement:

Land of the courageous, home of the free? Sure.
Centre of the entertainment world?
Nope. Specific types, maybe. In general? No.

Pancake Mix

Copied someone else's pancake recipe

1bQ9Hb1.jpg

What on Earth?

Guerrilla is a Dutch studio, first of all. We don't know that North America is the largest market for PS4 either, as Sony is always king in Europe while Nintendo and Microsoft do disproportionately well in North America.

Secondly, the only things that might be borrowed there are the necklaces, the rest is a stereotypical cavewoman outfit. Those patterns don't look like indigenous American designs.

I said "inspired".

But it's not, not really. You're making stuff up.

Bulbasaur

Banned
The uncritical use of words like “primitive” and “savage” to describe appropriated cultural signifiers on large media platforms serves to reinforce racist and colonialist ideas about indigenous peopl

Yeah, I agree with that tbh

I want to read this article in full now that I finished the game last night. I find it interesting that the bad guys in this game call Aloy and her people savages, so it is definitely used in a degrading way. But because the bad guys are using the term in a negative way...does that make it more OK? Not sure.

Also, I really like when you find out why they are called Nora Braves.
"Go out and learn. And be brave."

Big0Bear

What on Earth?

Guerrilla is a Dutch studio, first of all. We don't know that North America is the largest market for PS4 either, as Sony is always king in Europe while Nintendo and Microsoft do disproportionately well in North America.

Secondly, the only things that might be borrowed there are the necklaces, the rest is a stereotypical cavewoman outfit. Those patterns don't look like indigenous American designs.

But it's not, not really. You're making stuff up.

Cave woman outfit? The first thing I thought when they showed this game is that it had heavy inspiration from Native American culture

snoopers

I am multitalented
What on Earth?

Actually the necklace is one thing you could say was borrowed from the Vikings.

Viking-clothes.jpg

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
The author is very vague in the descriptions of how it would be harmful. "might be" and "could be" are those vague statements you can insert into almost anything.

Now it's damn unpleasant when your culture and heritage is being co-opted by others for intentions you do not like. I understand the upset. It kills me to see Neo-Nazis rallying behind nordic mythology, runes, germanic scripts and other things norse. So I get it. We have a connection to our past.
Even though I am of the opinion that cultural fetisism can be dangerous (like nationalism) I sympathize. I really do.

I think clear examples of cultural appropriation when it's appropriate to be annoyed is when you see someone takes inspiration from a Tang Dynasty era warrior and calls it a Samurai. That to me would be a clear example of not even doing the minimal amount of research, and confusing things cultures- Not as a intentional mix, but out of ignorance. That sort of handling of other cultures- Like not knowing the difference between a Sikh and a Muslim. You should know these things and do the research.

Having not played Horizon I do not know if the game makes a mockery of tribe people. I've let my dissatisfaction be known in prior threads about not liking Ahoys character design. To me it looks like a weird mix of celtic, pictish, irish, icelandic, inka and aztec all rolled into one. I don't sense native American inspiration from the trailers I saw, but regardless, if the game is a big mixed pot of all sorts of different things it is what it is.
On one hand you could say that even if the tribe people in the game are not designed to be native Americans it might still hit close to home and that is a valid point I think.

The main character being white- Is that cultural appropriation or just an example of white supremacy in culture? Perhaps both? I'd imagine that a decision like that was made early and to maximize appeal. The only other native American character I can think of (in a game I've played) is Connor from AC3 and even he was half-white- Presumably to make the white majority audience feel more relateable to the characters. An argument you could probably also make for a movie like The Last of the Mohicans.

I'd imagine Ahoy working as a native American. I don't like a her plum look or hairdo. But I've not played the game- I just find her character design off putting. I am speculating if I would have warmed up to her design if she had been native American. I imagine I still would have been put off by the weird fusion of pelts, and futiristic garbage trinket and ornaments.

Over designed, busy work. Reminds me of belt buckle galore final fantasy character design. where Instead of making a more interesting basic character, they just go to town with strapping all kinds of crap and bullshit. That's not a slant specifically on Horizon, but just a lot of character designs in general and also in a lot of pop culture animated films.

Alloy being a native american would not have made the tribal imagery any more palatable in the context of the story, its not taking place in the past. Alloy could have been any race and it would not have made a difference. The Nora themselves are a tribe of mixed races because they are part of whats left of the US and bonded and settled together for the purpose of survival

The Lamp

I'm so sorry, I don't remember the last time I read this thread and I haven't read it all, but someone in the spoiler thread mentioned that the braves are named braves for a fairly straightforward and non-Native American reason in the plot...although it stands plainly obvious, with the tribal culture in this game, that it was intentional to have a connection between the word "braves" and tribal culture.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
Ahh, the historical accuracy argument is still alive I see. GG can take inspiration from wherever they want.
It's not even historical accuracy it's that questioning the notion of Native American influence is ridiculous.

admartian

Seems like Guerrilla is being attacked from all sides about the apparent political and social philosophies it carries. Right wing gamers all over calling it SJW propaganda, and on the other side it's now being accused of cultural appropriation

How about it's just a good story that borrows elements from all cultures, genders and races and gives them all equally significant presence within the world
Yeah this.

Honestly this is 100% reach. I'm a "left" leaning person (should that matter) and the reaction seems fairly sensitive to me.

We can see ANYTHING when reading between lines. Especially if we sub/consciously decide to jumble up the words to match how we already feel...

Writer is right, hard to do anything that doesn't offend ANYONE (on all scales of the spectrum).

kpaadet

It's not even historical accuracy it's that questioning the notion of Native American influence is ridiculous.
So why mention where the game takes place? It doesn't matter because it's fiction and GG can and have taken inspiration from all over the world, including the native of American, which I haven't seen anyone deny.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Gamers defending cultural appropriation and worse, pretending it's not an actual thing, is a lot worse

Cultural appropriation is absolutely a thing, but people tend to use it a lot in the wrong situations.

1bQ9Hb1.jpg

I think it's more accurate to say that Aloy and the Nora were created from a pastiche of historical and current "traditional" societies. I haven't played the game, only seen some streams, and I'm not an anthropologist, so I can't pinpoint where different elements came from. I doubt anyone could with certainty without seeing GG's design documents. The colors in that picture of her beads and scarf look more Incan to me? But again I'm not sure. Someone earlier in the thread said their archaeologist wife identified the beadwork as similar to Burmese beads.

I think regardless of a specific native american influence, I think a general question that could be raised is that a Dutch studio (a country that was a major player in the history of white colonialism) has taken cultural traditions from seemingly several different cultures -- some of which were the target of colonialism themselves -- and applied them to a fictitious culture where those people are not represented. So it's sort of not a good look in that respect.

A more artistic criticism I would personally make is that it all comes off as a bit lazy. It doesn't seem like there was much attempt to make the Nora a truly unique outgrowth of some post-apocalyptic future. Instead GG mixed up a bunch of design elements taken from other cultures. TV show The 100 features a post-apocalyptic tribal society as well, but at least they were a bit more inventive with the clothing design, and they came up with their own language, unlike Horizon, where the Nora seem to speak (as far as the footage I've seen) with a perfect neutral American accent, which makes no sense considering how fast language evolves. It just seems like GG didn't spend much time really creating a unique culture.

because (if horizon takes place on the north american continent, i'm not sure if it does or not) it would be kinda symbolic of the first group of humans who showed up to this land, which we call native americans, the protagonist of this series be descended from that same race of people, be one of the last still surviving in the land.

Yeah, I agree, that would be a good through line. Supposedly the Nora live in what used to be Colorado, so seeing native americans there wouldn't be far-fetched.

I'm so sorry, I don't remember the last time I read this thread and I haven't read it all, but someone in the spoiler thread mentioned that the braves are named braves for a fairly straightforward and non-Native American reason in the plot...although it stands plainly obvious, with the tribal culture in this game, that it was intentional to have a connection between the word "braves" and tribal culture.

Of course that is what makes this talk really less of a debate and more of finger pointing by people who haven't played game or gotten far enough in story.

Spoilers of course

The term braves were taken from the servitors (think cyporg nannys) who had to release children from cryogenic chamber (Mothers cradle) because of lack of resources. When the adolecents ask what will the do in the unknown outside the servitor responds "You will be brave and you will learn"

It really is that simple and humans tend to form tribes on their own for survival purposes. There are examples of this all over the world and not specifically aimed at native American tribes.

I think regardless of a specific native american influence, I think a general question that could be raised is that a Dutch studio (a country that was a major player in the history of white colonialism) has taken cultural traditions from seemingly several different cultures -- some of which were the target of colonialism themselves -- and applied them to a fictitious culture where those people are not represented. So it's sort of not a good look in that respect.

This is not really rue in all respects and that is why it is important to play the game.

1. Given the nature of the preservation of humans it is entirely possible that there are native americans you encounter. You most likely cant tell just at a glance, there is a purposeful choice to include many different looks in the game and one of the reasons is to imply that every culture on face of planet survived. In addition people continue to say create and fictional when in is implied that this is evolution of things "learned"

Pancake Mix

Stone or beaded jewelry are not exclusively Native American for that matter.

Nor are braids, bows, and fur clothing.

Are you saying there wouldn't be a single Native American reference in any moodboard or art direction document produced by Guerrilla during the making of this game?

No, I didn't say that, but what we see in-game is not distinctly Native American. It's an amalgam of a lot of cultures.

There's something wrong in this section of your post: are you saying that the colonial past of The Netherlands has influenced the design of this game?

Does the colonial history of the Dutch mean that a specific group of individuals producing this game are more likely to appropriate the culture of another people, but a studio based in a location less tainted by 'white colonialism' wouldn't be?

Nabbis

Are you saying there wouldn't be a single Native American reference in any moodboard or art direction document produced by Guerrilla during the making of this game?

Are you sure that after more than a century what the American media or diluted local customs portray is even accurate of the original Native American culture at this point? How would you know if half the material out there has not been plagiarized from research done in the rest of the world regarding aboriginal settlements or vice-versa in a periodic manner?

Here's a reconstruction of a Finnish stone age settlement. Seems rather similar for my untrained eye. http://www.saarijarvi.fi/palvelut/kivikauden-kyla

snoopers

I am multitalented
There's something wrong in this section of your post: are you saying that the colonial past of The Netherlands has influenced the design of this game?

Does the colonial history of the Dutch mean that a specific group of individuals producing this game are more likely to appropriate the culture of another people, but a studio based in a location less tainted by 'white colonialism' wouldn't be?

It's called culture bias. What's wrong with this statement?

truly101

I got grudge sucked!

They are genetically predisposed to culturally appropriate I guess.

To me, I think GG aped most of the look from the wildlings of Game of Thrones, right down to Ygritte for Alloy.

No, that's not what I was saying. What I meant was that a group of people who live in a country with a problematic past towards colonialism should be careful about how they take from another culture, especially when that culture was exploited and harmed by colonialism in the past. GG's attitude seems to be that they can take from whatever culture they want, which is sort of the attitude of white colonialism.

From wikipedia on cultural appropriation:
Cultural appropriation may be perceived as controversial or harmful, notably when the cultural property of a minority group is used by members of the dominant culture without the consent of the members of the originating culture. This is seen as misappropriation and a violation of intellectual property rights. Often unavoidable when multiple cultures come together, cultural appropriation can include using other cultures' traditions, fashion, symbols, language, and cultural songs without permission.[7]

According to critics of the practice, cultural (mis)appropriation differs from acculturation, assimilation, or cultural exchange in that the "appropriation" or "misappropriation" refers to the adoption of these cultural elements in a colonial manner: elements are copied from a minority culture by members of a dominant culture, and these elements are used outside of their original cultural context—sometimes even against the expressly stated wishes of representatives of the originating culture.

snoopers

I am multitalented

I agree. But then again the "Hollywood Indian" trope works with any native culture really. That's how I read the author's criticism anyway - beyond the native american argument.

It's called culture bias. What's wrong with this statement?

It's a massive generalisation, that's what's wrong with it.

You can't take the history of a country and use it to infer the motivations of individuals: "They appropriated the culture of the Native Americans, but what do you expect? They're Dutch!".

snoopers

I am multitalented
It's a massive generalisation, that's what's wrong with it.

You can't take the history of a country and use it to infer the motivations of individuals: "They appropriated the culture of the Native Americans, but what do you expect? They're Dutch!".

No one is doing that - but cultural bias is a real thing.

No one is doing that - but cultural bias is a real thing.

Not sure about cultural bias. The problem I see here is conflating the location of the studio with the colonial history of the country it's located in.

I think a general question that could be raised is that a Dutch studio (a country that was a major player in the history of white colonialism) has taken cultural traditions from seemingly several different cultures -- some of which were the target of colonialism themselves -- and applied them to a fictitious culture where those people are not represented. So it's sort of not a good look in that respect.

There's a high probability that some of the workers at GG weren't resident in The Netherlands during colonial times, but rather than looking at individuals the poster has generalised on the basis of the physical location of the studio, without any reference to the cultural make-up of the team.

Mesoian

I dont understand, Horizon is set in the future, so surely it has nothing to do with any modern or past human cultures and people just assuming references.

While true, Horizon HD is basically a soft retelling of clashing of 1700's American cultures.

Plus, the game goes to a lot of effort to explain why inclusion in future stories makes more sense than everyone being segregated by race.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
Cultural Bias is something I would say happened with the writer of the original article and not with the Dutch developers.

This could be true as well as the author may see that Horizon checks off boxes that he sees as troublesome without going further as to their actual influences or applications in context of the story. And to be fair to him, its not like the concern is without merit or cause.

No, that's not what I was saying. What I meant was that a group of people who live in a country with a problematic past towards colonialism should be careful about how they take from another culture, especially when that culture was exploited and harmed by colonialism in the past.

People who live in a country with a problematic past?

I live in England. We have a colonial past; problematic is probably a fair assessment. There was a time when the sun never set on the British Empire.

Should I tell friends of Polish and Indian background who live here that they need to be careful, because of things that happened before any of us were born? How many generations need to pass before they can start to share in our colonial shame and watch what they say and write in case they're accused of cultural bias?

The Lamp

Of course that is what makes this talk really less of a debate and more of finger pointing by people who haven't played game or gotten far enough in story.

Spoilers of course

The term braves were taken from the servitors (think cyporg nannys) who had to release children from cryogenic chamber (Mothers cradle) because of lack of resources. When the adolecents ask what will the do in the unknown outside the servitor responds "You will be brave and you will learn"

It really is that simple and humans tend to form tribes on their own for survival purposes. There are examples of this all over the world and not specifically aimed at native American tribes.

This is not really rue in all respects and that is why it is important to play the game.

1. Given the nature of the preservation of humans it is entirely possible that there are native americans you encounter. You most likely cant tell just at a glance, there is a purposeful choice to include many different looks in the game and one of the reasons is to imply that every culture on face of planet survived. In addition people continue to say create and fictional when in is implied that this is evolution of things "learned"

Exactly.

But it's amusing watching people who haven't played enough of the game scold the developers. At least be familiar with the context of how this story is told.

But of course, it's fine to criticize any creative work. It's just the criticism surrounding the term "brave" falls more flat than some people would like it to.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
So why mention where the game takes place? It doesn't matter because it's fiction and GG can and have taken inspiration from all over the world, including the native of American, which I haven't seen anyone deny.
It's that native americans seem to be the biggest influence.

Cultural appropriation is absolutely a thing, but people tend to use it a lot in the wrong situations.
It's more like more often than not white people try to tell minorities what counts as legitimate cultural appropriation.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
GG should have just set the game in Europe with the same cast diversity & avoided all this in a stroke.

Changing the setting to Europe changes nothing in terms of the criticism as long as the game is still released in NA.

According to who? Is there an actual quantifiable metric to reference here? There are a bunch of Native American tribes past and present that had their own cultural dress, language, iconography etc, what did Horizon take thats unique to them and no other culture in the world?

snoopers

I am multitalented
Not sure about cultural bias. The problem I see here is conflating the location of the studio with the colonial history of the country it's located in.

The problem you should see is how dominant cultures treat minorities in their work of fiction.

Works in the real world too.

Ps: Since you were wondering about the team: director of the game is Mathijs de Jonge, dutch. Art director is Jan Bart van Beek, dutch. Screenwriters are John Gonzales and Gavin Jurgens-Fyhrie, both americans.

Pancake Mix

GG should have just set the game in Europe with the same cast diversity & avoided all this in a stroke.

You are correct.

I guess they'd have to change a couple articles of clothing too since because of those 1 or 2 items, some people don't understand it's an amalgam of various cultures (not just indigenous American) combined with caveman stereotypes. 1 or 2 items of clothing that are more specific to the Americas are causing hysterics.

This is nonsense.

Top Bottom