• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon Forbidden West - Digital Foundry Tech Review - A PS5 Graphics Masterclass

giphy.gif
You're getting menstrual over the appearance of a fictional character. I was joking I know woman have peach fuzz lol.

Kenneth Haight

Gold Member
I can't believe this month of games ..sifu, dying light 2, cyberpunk next gen, horizon, eldin ring, gt7

Best month of gaming ever

I honestly can't say when I last time bought four games (new) within the span of two weeks.
I have just bought HFW, GT7 and have Elden ring pre-ordered for next week also.

That’s 3 brand new releases which I know i will not be able to dedicate time to but I’m buying them all anyway. It makes no sense but I just want to see the new bells and whistles of the PS5 being pushed a bit. Good times!

Hunnybun

I've been toggling between perf and res for a bit. As much as I love the detail and how everything pops in res, performance will be the way to go for me. It looks great as is on my OLED display. No complaints so far.

How sharp does it look then? Can you compare it to anything else e.g. the Insomniac games in performance RT or Demon's Souls at 1440p?

Thanks

saintjules

How sharp does it look then? Can you compare it to anything else e.g. the Insomniac games in performance RT or Demon's Souls at 1440p?

Thanks

You can definitely see the difference between the two modes. It is still quite good in performance, but def not as sharp/detailed as the resolution mode. It's still good though.

If I had to make a guess in comparison, perf mode would look more like how Uncharted 4 PS5 version looks in terms of detail. Demon's Souls and Insomniac look a bit better, but I'd have to do a comparison to see. It comes down to design choices I guess. FW in performance mode is at 1800p with checkerboard rendering.

All in all, I'd gladly take the hit in performance to get 60fps because it does look great. 30fps just feels too jarring after playing so many 60fps games lately.

I'm still in the first area of the game and have yet to see the whole atmosphere in the open world.

Last edited:

rolandss

They could introduce a mode that lowers the resolution and pushes the visuals forwards. Or just more modes in general. Like a normal and rt mode. However it probably gets confusing then for most people so its understandable. I would just have made different choices.
I’d happily play in 1080p with better visual effects….

Cos I’m still playing my PS5 on a 1080p tv.

Banjo64

cumsessed
Ascension and Gow3 looked better than TLOU.

Way bigger scale, way more effects on screen, better textures and zero LOD whereas rocks from only a few meters ahead in TLOU often had to load in.
Whilst I think GoW 3 is one of the most impressive looking games of its day, and it’s set pieces are unrivalled, TLoU literally made me think ‘how the fuck can the PS3 even run this?’ - anyway, both stellar games visually so there’s probably no wrong choice

Hunnybun

You can definitely see the difference between the two modes. It is still quite good in performance, but def not as sharp/detailed as the resolution mode. It's still good though.

If I had to make a guess in comparison, perf mode would look more like how Uncharted 4 PS5 version looks in terms of detail. Demon's Souls and Insomniac look a bit better, but I'd have to do a comparison to see. It comes down to design choices I guess. FW in performance mode is at 1800p with checkerboard rendering.

All in all, I'd gladly take the hit in performance to get 60fps because it does look great. 30fps just feels too jarring after playing so many 60fps games lately.

I'm still in the first area of the game and have yet to see the whole atmosphere in the open world.

Thanks. It's a bit of a shame they couldn't have done more with this tbh. You don't typically need to be that close to 4k to close the gap, perceptually. Seems like the checkerboarding isn't exactly helping the clarity. I don't know why they couldn't have just reduced a few settings and gone for like 1620p or so. Ah well, I'll see how it looks. Tbh the 30fps has looked pretty smooth in all the footage I've seen.

Last edited:

Ev1L AuRoN

visuals aside, what would have benefitted if this was purely a ps5 game?
They could upgrade greatly every aspect that is CPU related, better world simulation, physics, AI, animation, denser environments, more NPC's etc... The downgrade from the GPU is quite linear since the game doesn't use RT or any RDNA2 specific tech, but on the CPU side that most compromises had to be made.

NinjaBoiX

Just watched the video, holy shit they’ve done a good job! Outstanding tech once again.
Its fine to be clueless, don't drag my comments down to your level tho.
Completely at a loss as to why they didn’t just click the magic “add ray tracing” box, but I’m clueless…

Come on bro, no need to get spiky. It’s obvious why they didn’t add ray tracing, they blew their rendering budget on EVERYTHING ELSE!

They’re clever folk at GG, but they aren’t magicians.

Ev1L AuRoN

Mostly like RT was out of question due the cross-gen nature… just my guesses.

They didn’t want to make two different render that is like what cross gen games do.

Cross gen limit the scope of you game unless you double the time (and money) to do the same thing in two different ways.
I don't think being a cross gen title is the reason for not implementing RT, plenty of games already did just that, the problem is the cost of it. The game would need to scale down to free up resources for RT to work, mostly in resolution and shader performance, since RT is quite hard on memory bandwidth and compute power.

TonyK

Playing it just right now in resolution mode. Sharpen filter is too aggresive (and unnecessary) for my tastes. Why a sharpen filter in a 4k image? I have sharpen at 0 in my TV, this is like putting sharpen to 100.

Shmunter

Playing it just right now in resolution mode. Sharpen filter is too aggresive (and unnecessary) for my tastes. Why a sharpen filter in a 4k image? I have sharpen at 0 in my TV, this is like putting sharpen to 100.
Why would they put a filter on it? It’s probably just sharp being native 4k. Play in performance for slightly less sharpness perhaps?

TonyK

Why would they put a filter on it? It’s probably just sharp being native 4k. Play in performance for slightly less sharpness perhaps?
No no, I played a ton of 4k native games in PC. And also Valhalla, Spiderman, Ratchet, etc un 4k 30fps modes in PS5. This game has a sharpener filter. And it's worse because, as usual with aggresive sharpener filters, it adds a white halo around any detail. So, when you move the camera and it adds motion blur (disabling it doesn't solve the problem), those white halos disappear, so luminance of the image vary from brighter to darker each time you move the camera. It's very distracting and something I didn't read in any analysis.

Three

The issue is that whenever VFX and literally anyone else on this board get into a "graphics generation" discussion it starts from very different viewpoints.
I don't buy this idea, sorry. The only viewpoint difference seems to be "Sony tech/game bad". If he was interested in tech he would have been far more receptive of the UE5 reveal and far more receptive to fast storage and virtualised geometry. The tech displayed there was not only new but pretty amazing wouldn't you agree? He didn't, he downplayed that tech demo reveal. I'm sure I don't need to say why.

Shmunter

No no, I played a ton of 4k native games in PC. And also Valhalla, Spiderman, Ratchet, etc un 4k 30fps modes in PS5. This game has a sharpener filter. And it's worse because, as usual with aggresive sharpener filters, it adds a white halo around any detail. So, when you move the camera and it adds motion blur (disabling it doesn't solve the problem), those white halos disappear, so luminance of the image vary from brighter to darker each time you move the camera. It's very distracting and something I didn't read in any analysis.
Ok, can’t argue with what you’re seeing with your own eyes

Dodkrake

Banned
It doesn't. It actually renders at 4k and has an upscaler on top for added fidelity.

Kenneth Haight

Gold Member
Are any of you guys buying the $60 version from the online store or are u just gonna pay the $10 ransom to be able to play at 12 am?

I'm torn
Anyway my internet is pretty crap and I’m not staying up so I will just download next gen update in the morning and it will be ready to roll tomorrow. Looks glorious but I hate this shady shit by Sony. Don’t try and nickel and dime me you fucks.

no way GIF by BBC

You sir are an idiot if you think my post was about whether I can afford $10. Do you really need someone to explain it to you? Because I can. There are too many people like you out there ready to sign off on companies who act shady like Sony is doing here.
Morgan Freeman Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

Last edited:

TonyK

It doesn't. It actually renders at 4k and has an upscaler on top for added fidelity.
It can be an upscaler, I believe you, but the visual result is the same than cranking up the TV sharpen to max.

What a silly and tiny effect, one new that I never had seen before in my life, and it has ruined the game for me. It even gives me eyes strain. Now I understand people that doesn't like motion blur or chromatic aberration, effects that don't bother me. I just discovered the effect that bothers me and I didn't know 😪

vpance

Sounds terrible. Any screenshots?

Banned
btw. REMINDER! don't get scammed by buying the PS5 version of the game.
it seems Sony removed the PS4 version from the PS5 store, at least I couldn't find it anymore. you have to buy the PS4 version either on a PS4 or using the PS App on your phone.

the PS4 version includes the PS5 version but is 10€/$ cheaper than buying the PS5 version

EDIT:

Are any of you guys buying the $60 version from the online store or are u just gonna pay the $10 ransom to be able to play at 12 am?

I'm torn

I see I am not the first one reminding people lol

Last edited:
It can be an upscaler, I believe you, but the visual result is the same than cranking up the TV sharpen to max.

What a silly and tiny effect, one new that I never had seen before in my life, and it has ruined the game for me. It even gives me eyes strain. Now I understand people that doesn't like motion blur or chromatic aberration, effects that don't bother me. I just discovered the effect that bothers me and I didn't know 😪

Yes, whatever the effect is, I also noticed it immediatly. Started the game in resolution mode and when I move the image flickers ever so slightly. Never had that in a game before. When i switched to performance mode it was a lot better.
Also, the image gives the feeling there are a lot of jaggies even though I don't see any. Weird.

I'm only just an hour in so maybe it will get better.

TrebleShot

Erm this game looks absolutely ridiculous on fidelity mode this is the new graphics king on all platforms no question and it’s the first true next gen feeling I’ve got. Wow

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
What tv you got?
If lg oled then sharpen 0 is sharper than sharpen 10 :p

Aaron Olive

WARNING !!! LG C1 owners there might be a HDMI HDR handshake issue with the PS5 which will washout contrast, to fix disable hdmi deep color and re-enable and re-enable HDR in PS5 settings. do not mess with RGB levels on tv or console.

HDR
HGIG

Black Level
Auto/Auto

Smooth gradation OFF, blurs image quality when on.

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
WARNING !!! LG C1 owners there might be a HDMI HDR handshake issue with the PS5 which will washout contrast, to fix disable hdmi deep color and re-enable and re-enable HDR in PS5 settings. do not mess with RGB levels on tv or console.

HDR
HGIG

Black Level
Auto/Auto
thanks for heads up!
The game supports hgig?

TonyK

What tv you got?
If lg oled then sharpen 0 is sharper than sharpen 10 :p
I have a LG CX. But. wait, what? I mean, that has no sense and you can see, moving the slider, than 0 adds less sharpen than 10. Also, 0 has no input lag penalty, meanwhile any value adds a bit of added input lag.

Do you have a link explaining what you are saying?

Top Bottom