• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon: Forbidden West truly has the best in-game character models ever and its not really close

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
For those saying RDR2, you gotta come with evidence. That game has been topped.

FWIW, I still think TLOU 2 has the best facial animations in cutscenes. Meaning, the characters in TLOU 2 animate more realistically and naturally than any game ive seen in cutscenes.

This thread is about in-game character models more so than cutscenes. And overall fidelity in gameplay, in which this game rises above everything quite easily imo

Last edited:

GymWolf

Gold Member
For those saying RDR2, you gotta come with evidence. That game has been topped.

FWIW, I still think TLOU 2 has the best facial animations in cutscenes. Meaning, the characters in TLOU 2 animate more realistically and naturally than any game ive seen in cutscenes.

This thread is about in-game character models more so than cutscenes. And overall fidelity in gameplay, in which this game rises above everything quite easily imo
Tlou2 takes the cake but it is not an open world games with like a hundred of npcs and it doens't have side content with cutscenes, the only cutscenes are in the main story.

I think in terms of details, h2 characters are better than tlou2, skin details on aloy are better than skin details on ellie.

Last edited:

TxKnight7

because what the fuck is this

FMS-wzXXoAMwJaa

FMS-y08WQAkiekl

None of these are from cutscenes, they are legit in-game character models, during gameplay, zoomed in, captured myself during play time last night.
Graphics looks like SC ?
not sure
9NSs5e8.jpg

Rc3FwYL.jpg

Ef3DOWa.jpg

myVYnWy.jpg

It's almost an uncanny Valley feel with how well it's mocapped with the facial animations and eye trackings.
I dont think its mocapped. I think they have have sets of expressions and have mouth matching. Saves from having to having all that data for all these side characters.

Corndog

Banned
because what the fuck is this

FMS-wzXXoAMwJaa

FMS-wzVXEAMU2zo

FMS-wzTXwAcPr_D

FMS-y08WQAkiekl

None of these are from cutscenes, they are legit in-game character models, during gameplay, zoomed in, captured myself during play time last night.

God bless Guerilla.

This is a gigantic leap forward and we are in for an insane generation.

All in all, the game looks like a playable Micheal Bay Transformers movie and I don't think the media made it a big enough deal. Its filthy.

FMS_HrRXEAoCthv

yay graphics.
Are those photo mode are actual gameplay? Obviously can up the quality for photo mode since it’s not having to update at 30 or 60 fps and the image is not moving. That said they do look good.
Edit: let’s see a screen capture compared to photo mode. Screen capture will show what it really looks like in game.

Last edited:

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
You haven't played it and yet you're trying to rank it. I've played both. Horizon is unquestionably better. I can't imagine anyone playing both and disagreeing unless they were a Rockstar fanboy. Not taking a shot at RDR2, it was very well done, but HFW is the next level.
Like I said it's based on what I saw for HFW. My opinion can change once I play the game.
I think that rdr2 is still the king for so many things, but characters details (especially anyone outside of arthur) and facial animations are beated in h2.

Voice acting is still better in rdr2 imo, arthur is way more nuanced than aloy.

They are the only 2 open world games that use mocap for basically any quest or sidequest, and it shows.
Yep that's seems to be a good analysis, and now hat I think about it CP 2077 could be on the 3rd place. This game has some incredibly detailed models.

GymWolf

Gold Member
Like I said it's based on what I saw for HFW. My opinion can change once I play the game.

Yep that's seems to be a good analysis, and now hat I think about it CP 2077 could be on the 3rd place. This game has some incredibly detailed models.
Cyberpunk models looks a bit plasticky to me except for some rare occasions.

Very detailed indeed but i was never wowed out.

Vaelka

Too bad that the characters are so ugly and bleh.
I dunno why people play games to see and play as frumpy or average people.

Vaelka

Oh no I upset people.
I didn't say that they can't make these characters the way they are or that people can't like them, I just don't get it.
I actually think it makes it less interesting and the graphics less impressive because it's more generic and uninteresting like real life.
These graphics would be more interesting and appealing to me if the people themselves weren't so '' average '' to me it's just kinda like what's the point I play games for fantasy and to get away from reality.

I kinda feel like the more realistic graphics get the less exciting and appealing the actual designs themselves are.

Belthazar

This game is the reason all the complaints about cross gen games are stupid... Those are the best assets in the industry up to this point

Salz01

Lots of the characters outside of Alloy, are just downright fugly. Yes, good clean crisp resolution and detail, just to accentuate they are fugly. I skip most of the cut scenes just to get back to the action Because of this.

fallingdove

No. I haven’t played the game.

But that has nothing to do with what you said earlier.

It’s unquestionably the best looking game out there on any platform. But saying you’re not going to get better visuals this gen is weird talk.

You might even see Ragnarok surpassing it this year.

Ahh, I see where you are coming from. Completely agree.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
Oh no I upset people.
I didn't say that they can't make these characters the way they are or that people can't like them, I just don't get it.
I actually think it makes it less interesting and the graphics less impressive because it's more generic and uninteresting like real life.
These graphics would be more interesting and appealing to me if the people themselves weren't so '' average '' to me it's just kinda like what's the point I play games for fantasy and to get away from reality.

I kinda feel like the more realistic graphics get the less exciting and appealing the actual designs themselves are.
No, we were laughing at such a ridiculous comment. lol

It's not a mystery.
They had the time to make these models, this is fundamental. More than having modelers and artists that are good on their job it's to give them time to do the work. And from what we head they worked without crunching much, so they worked while not being stressed.
Also, now video game machines have enough power to use these high quality models most of the time without needed to resort to lower detail LOD. Little by little this will become a standard in this generation, I think.

Pagusas

Elden Member
You cannot be serious with this.
No. I haven’t played the game.

But that has nothing to do with what you said earlier.

It’s unquestionably the best looking game out there on any platform. But saying you’re not going to get better visuals this gen is weird talk.

You might even see Ragnarok surpassing it this year.
Not a single announced game has shown in-game cutscene charecter model + animation + lighting all come together this well. It'll be years till we see that aspect of the game topped, and most likely it will be Guerilla themselves who do it. I'm only talking about specifically the topic of this thread, NPC's and in-game charecter models/interaction/in-game dialogue.

Many other games will beat it in other areas for sure this gen. But no other dev has or currently is putting their artist and technical power towards this specific section of games. We won't see that again for years from anyone else.

Last edited:
Top Bottom