• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon: Forbidden West truly has the best in-game character models ever and its not really close

Lots of the characters outside of Alloy, are just downright fugly. Yes, good clean crisp resolution and detail, just to accentuate they are fugly. I skip most of the cut scenes just to get back to the action Because of this.
Zo is very attractive IMO.

Corndog

Banned
The character models are reduced in performance mode?
Probably taken in photo mode where developers can use higher lod then in game. I assume this is the case but someone who owns the game would know better then me.

Last edited:
Probably taken in photo mode where developers can use higher lod then in game. I assume this is the case but someone who owns the game would know better then me.

It could be like Ratchet where the assets are the same. What would get a boost is the DRS though which would make the IQ much better.

When it comes to HFW I don’t believe there’s a massive difference between fotomode and gameplay shots. At least not from what I’ve seen.

UnNamed

Banned
People can argue what are the flaws of Horizon, but in terms of characters is simply unmatched. In fact, many people (me included) can still remember quests because they recognize the characters in them.

I remember almost everyone after six years, despite lot of them are characters you meet only once:

horizon-character-art-npc-collection.jpg

rofif

Banned
Nope but very close.
Best character model till goes to Die Hardman and some other Death Stranding characters:

Sorry, I onlygot my old ps4 slim screenshots. Really want to replay DC with 4k finally.

kQ4WvUm.png

iB8Jeat.png

Technically these are cutscene models. but cutscenes are real-time.
So in that case, for in gameplay model, Aloy might in fact win. But Death Stranding's Sam also is no slouch

Corndog

Banned
It could be like Ratchet where the assets are the same. What would get a boost is the DRS though which would make the IQ much better.

When it comes to HFW I don’t believe there’s a massive difference between fotomode and gameplay shots. At least not from what I’ve seen.
I’ve seen drastic differences in photos posted including highly zoomed in shots that would never look that good in gameplay. I was hoping someone could post a fair comparison. Do a regular screenshot and then photomode of the same area and compare it.

I’ve seen drastic differences in photos posted including highly zoomed in shots that would never look that good in gameplay. I was hoping someone could post a fair comparison. Do a regular screenshot and then photomode of the same area and compare it.

The problem is you don’t play with the game zoomed in like that. So it’s not like even with that detail level your going to notice it through regular gameplay. The system doesn’t need that LOD if your not going to see it.

Freeman76

Ive certainly never played anything so visually amazing as this. I wish Aloys voice acting matched the visuals, she sounds depressed, uninterested, out of breath, monotone, and bored every time she speaks.

Iorveth

Banned
Maybe in photo mode but, really, not even there. The characters still look plastic and the character lighting is so unnatural.
Does anyone remember TLoU Part II? Because that game did faces and animations better than Guerilla will manage in the next decade. Cyberpunk characters also look way better, and not just in photo mode. This is a low res screenshot I've found googling and even that rivals HFW.
rogue-thumb-1607291822254.jpg

I posted a video and even in performance mode, its the best in game models ive seen.

Yeah seems like it’s a repeat of fur gate for some people. I don’t own the game but I’ve seen plenty of screens from gameplay and the models really do look that good. Not sure why people keep using the fotomode argument when there are actual gameplay shots available.

Three

Maybe in photo mode but, really, not even there. The characters still look plastic and the character lighting is so unnatural.
Does anyone remember TLoU Part II? Because that game did faces and animations better than Guerilla will manage in the next decade. Cyberpunk characters also look way better, and not just in photo mode. This is a low res screenshot I've found googling and even that rivals HFW.
No offense to CDPR but how does that look good?

Iorveth

Banned
No offense to CDPR but how does that look good?
It's just a non-RT screenshot I've found on Google. And it's better looking that HFW's non-photo mode faces which nobody even posted yet. OP says they took screenshots in gameplay yet they're obviously photo mode which cranks up the resolution and settings to maximum possible quality.

A.Romero

Yeah seems like it’s a repeat of fur gate for some people. I don’t own the game but I’ve seen plenty of screens from gameplay and the models really do look that good. Not sure why people keep using the fotomode argument when there are actual gameplay shots available.

I haven't really looked into it but at first glance I have the impression that the pics shared by OP are photo mode. I think it's worth it to put up some real gameplay pics without photo mode to compare.

They look good for sure and I'm not even sure if photo mode changes things that much but at least in games like Spider Man the difference is noticeable.

Banned
Completely agree OP. Best character models/facial animation I have ever seen. No other game out there right now comes close.

is this satire? I can't tell if this is a serious comment. the facial animations in this game are fucking comical at times. it has, what I call, Power Rangers syndrome. where every character swings around their heads with every word and they often have completely dead eyes (not focusing on anything but instead smoothly turning with the head)

there are so many games with better animations it's like, not even top 20

Last edited:

Romulus

That nose looks rubber and the lighting looks flat to me. Overall I don't think it's close. If it was running on a base Xbox one I would believe it outside of resolution.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Season 9 No GIF by The Office

This has to be a joke post

lmfao

The Fartist

Gold Member
ateu-fora-fora.gif

Gamerguy84

Wow Sony first party puts in the work. Impressive shots. HFW character models are great but I have to agree with whoever posted Die Hardman.

However I think this is the best looking game I've ever played. R and C, DS, MM are pretty close.

I impressed More so because I always thought GG would always be known for Killzone and they pit out HZD and HFW, two of the best games I've played.

The control of Aloy and combat is another level as well. It's just a great series.

fallingdove

is this satire? I can't tell if this is a serious comment. the facial animations in this game are fucking comical at times. it has, what I call, Power Rangers syndrome. where every character swings around their heads with every word and they often have completely dead eyes (not focusing on anything but instead smoothly turning with the head)

Riiiight. Where are these 20 games you speak of green rat?

Corndog

Banned
The problem is you don’t play with the game zoomed in like that. So it’s not like even with that detail level your going to notice it through regular gameplay. The system doesn’t need that LOD if your not going to see it.
Correct. That’s my point though. While the graphics are very impressive using photomode to show how good they are is disingenuous. Just like developers using in engine trailers to show their games.

Correct. That’s my point though. While the graphics are very impressive using photomode to show how good they are is disingenuous. Just like developers using in engine trailers to show their games.

The thing is they are still extremely impressive even without photomode. So I don’t understand what your issue is because the visuals are incredible.

Last edited:

Name me 5 of them.

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
Wow Sony first party puts in the work. Impressive shots. HFW character models are great but I have to agree with whoever posted Die Hardman.

However I think this is the best looking game I've ever played. R and C, DS, MM are pretty close.

I impressed More so because I always thought GG would always be known for Killzone and they pit out HZD and HFW, two of the best games I've played.

The control of Aloy and combat is another level as well. It's just a great series.
Guerrilla just elevated themselves big time with Forbidden West

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
kp4OChl.jpg
WvZVd9x.jpg
ZJk8QNn.jpg
6raLcmH.jpg

Anyone in this entire thread that says this game doesn't have the best character models I'm gaming right now has not actually played the game on a PS5 on an OLED. I'd love to see a post of a game that's better. The facial animations are also top tier. What's better? I'd really like to know 🤔
They just don't want to believe it but it's true

Cryio

People were hyping Horizon Zero Dawn to kingdom come and back in regards to visuals and I don't even think it looks as good as Rise of the Tomb Raider.

Best facial animation ever for HFW? Give me a break. If they at least manage Resident Evils 4 face animation, it would be an improvement.

They still need to beat Last of Us Part 2, Red Dead Redemption 2, Spider-Man Miles Morales, Cyberpunk 2077, Hellblade and Gears 5.

Last edited:

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
People were hyping Horizon Zero Dawn to kingdom come and back in regards to visuals and I don't even think it looks as good as Rise of the Tomb Raider.

Best facial animation ever for HFW? Give me a break. If they at least manage Resident Evils 4 face animation, it would be an improvement.

They still need to beat Last of Us Part 2, Red Dead Redemption 2, Spider-Man Miles Morales, Cyberpunk 2077, Hellblade and Gears 5.
This thread is about in game character models. Not facial animation. Nothing is touching TLOU 2 in terms of facial animation.

But in terms of in game character models and overall graphics/visual fidelity this is the GOAT easily. Aloy looks like a CG character in gameplay. The environments are the most dense ive ever seen. everything looks goddamn incredible.

Last edited:

T0minator

Again I say...

"Anyone in this entire thread that says this game doesn't have the best character models in gaming right now has not actually played the game on a PS5 on an OLED. "

The only game I've seen match and exceed the facial animations is The Last of Us 2. The rest of those games you mentioned don't match Horizon Forbidden West in either models or animation. I would know, I've played all the games mentioned and Horizon Forbidden West. You have not, obviously.
m3NwLaI.jpg

The variety of animations for each personality type is at the top of the industry especially considering it's an open world game.

These new generation of games overall look better than the last generation of games but I expected a lot more; I've honestly been disappointed across the board with the newer titles.

Arkham Knight gameplay assets in photo mode. This game released 7 years ago!

Bat 1 by Peanut Butter, on Flickr
Bat 6 by Peanut Butter, on Flickr
Batak by Peanut Butter, on Flickr
Bat 10 by Peanut Butter, on Flickr
Bat 4 by Peanut Butter, on Flickr

Epic's Matrix demo is the only thing that met my expectations, it looks awesome but it's just a demo..🤷‍♂️

Rykan

This game makes the "60 FPS modes will destroy fidelity in graphics!" crowds look like the complete fools that they are.

Top Bottom