• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon: Forbidden West truly has the best in-game character models ever and its not really close

Lupin25

C'mon mate, How is this not funny? The guy who was screaming over 60 FPS modes destroying fidelity is now creating threads where he's drooling over the graphics of a game that has a 60 FPS mode.

That’s not what you said in your last post lol.

Azurro

Banned
Do you do that in real life too?
Especially when it's one of your family members?

We could say it the other way around, if you want to see ugly fuckers, you just need to look outside from your window, no need to have them in-game as well. ;)

Last edited:

Corndog

Banned
The thing is they are still extremely impressive even without photomode. So I don’t understand what your issue is because the visuals are incredible.
The only issue I have is showing photomode shots and people thinking it’s what gameplay looks like. If the graphics are incredible let’s see them outside of photomode to see what the game actually looks like.
I’m sure it still looks good. But not bullshot good.

Edit: you say also that this is some fur gate. How? Posting photomode and saying that’s what the game looks like is deceptive. It is already possible to hide defects with a still shot(no checkerboard). Even more so with photomode. Let’s be honest. Regardless it still is a very good looking game.

Last edited:
Serious question, I've just reached no mans land more or less, so I've still got plenty of game time before me.
I've seen people often praising those facial animations, I on the other hand found them more then often underwhelming.

Do you guys think this is an uncanny valley issue or are those animations just not precise and good enough for those detailed characters?

Topher

Gold Member
Serious question, I've just reached no mans land more or less, so I've still got plenty of game time before me.
I've seen people often praising those facial animations, I on the other hand found them more then often underwhelming.

Do you guys think this is an uncanny valley issue or are those animations just not precise and good enough for those detailed characters?

I think you are just in the minority here. I agree with the OP. The facial animations are about as lifelike as I've ever seen. I am continually in awe of how realistic they are. Not saying your perception is wrong, but I'm certainly not seeing what you are.

I think you are just in the minority here. I agree with the OP. The facial animations are about as lifelike as I've ever seen. I am continually in awe of how realistic they are. Not saying your perception is wrong, but I'm certainly not seeing what you are.
Could be true, I'm pretty sure though I found the facial animations in TLOU2 more convincing / real life.
I wouldn't be surprised though if thats just my experience with the game.

Gameplay Only
fwikIsw.jpg
DbR5Er3.jpg
SnJoe7F.jpg
aRILStO.jpg

Guilty_AI

They did up facial animation tech from the previous game following the criticism (though i still don't find it particularly amazing compared to other games out there). However, what might be giving you this impression is Aloy's facial animations specifically.

Take a look at this video:

Notice how every character EXCEPT Aloy has an actor/actress with matching facial features. This Difference in facial structure between Aloy and her actress is what causes this uncanniness you're noticing. It also becomes more noticeable when you consider faces are more detailed than in older games.

Last edited:
2Bi7x8f.jpg
l9kGMsS.jpg
u0pvx2S.jpg

Non are Photomode. Aloy during gameplay is the same character model as Photomode unlike some other games. Giving better angles for some great pix 👌🏼

Yes it’s what I’m seeing as well. The thing about fotomode is that it allows you to get the perfect shot which is something that’s hard to do during regular gameplay. But regardless if there’s a change in visuals I’m not really seeing it from those shots. The assets and the detail seem to remain unchanged. It’s not like fotomode is magically boosting the visuals way beyond what the gameplay is like.

I don’t believe it’s dishonest to share fotomode shots but people should keep in mind that shot alignment can make it look better than your typical gameplay screen.

platina

The only issue I have is showing photomode shots and people thinking it’s what gameplay looks like. If the graphics are incredible let’s see them outside of photomode to see what the game actually looks like.
I’m sure it still looks good. But not bullshot good.

Edit: you say also that this is some fur gate. How? Posting photomode and saying that’s what the game looks like is deceptive. It is already possible to hide defects with a still shot(no checkerboard). Even more so with photomode. Let’s be honest. Regardless it still is a very good looking game.
Just for you :) uncompressed .png gameplay no photo mode. This is what she looks like close up and at normal gameplay distance.
Edit: you must download the images to view them in full 4:4:4

51901257141_13f23f5c3f_o.png

51901587349_1a30334850_o.png

51901348353_46c78ba67d_o.png

Last edited:

Juras

Maybe in photo mode but, really, not even there. The characters still look plastic and the character lighting is so unnatural.
Does anyone remember TLoU Part II? Because that game did faces and animations better than Guerilla will manage in the next decade. Cyberpunk characters also look way better, and not just in photo mode. This is a low res screenshot I've found googling and even that rivals HFW.
rogue-thumb-1607291822254.jpg
Isn't it some prerelease bullshot? Look at date (part of link adress), 4 days before official release. Also how it is possible to take shot like this straight in game without any zoom tools, even it is fpp genre?

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
C'mon mate, How is this not funny? The guy who was screaming over 60 FPS modes destroying fidelity is now creating threads where he's drooling over the graphics of a game that has a 60 FPS mode.

You realize every shot posted in this thread, and all the gloating about the graphics, are from the 30fps quality mode right? The game looks awful at 60. Massive quality difference. My point was made with this exact game. If it was only 60 it would be awful. The performance mode was an afterthought just like I said it would be. And that will only continue going forward with games like this.

Even DF said to play it at 30.

You were wrong as usual.

Iorveth

Banned
Isn't it some prerelease bullshot? Look at date (part of link adress), 4 days before official release. Also how it is possible to take shot like this straight in game without any zoom tools, even it is fpp genre?
Yes, all prerelease Cyberpunk footage was without raytracing and only at 1080p, probably to avoid another "downgrade" controversy.

RTX 4K Cyberpunk makes Horizon Forbidden West look like a PS2 game.

MiguelItUp

It's awesome seeing facial animations just get better and better. Guerilla is definitely one of the few on the forefront when it comes to that.

sendit

Maybe in photo mode but, really, not even there. The characters still look plastic and the character lighting is so unnatural.
Does anyone remember TLoU Part II? Because that game did faces and animations better than Guerilla will manage in the next decade. Cyberpunk characters also look way better, and not just in photo mode. This is a low res screenshot I've found googling and even that rivals HFW.
Decidied to load up CP to check if nostalgia is at play here. Attached are some CP shots with the highest settings + ray tracing at psycho (from a 3090). And it comes nowhere close to the character details in HFW:

rnizD3.jpg

rnieW0.jpg

rninVD.jpg

rnivvq.jpg

TidusYuna

Whats crazy is games are looking amazing and we are still in the early life of the PS5. Games are currently being developed with both the PS5/PS4 in mind due to covid's effects on production. Meaning as good as HZDFW looks, the games are going to look even better in the future when they shift development exclusively to the PS5.

Last edited:

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
Yes, all prerelease Cyberpunk footage was without raytracing and only at 1080p, probably to avoid another "downgrade" controversy.

RTX 4K Cyberpunk makes Horizon Forbidden West look like a PS2 game.
Lmaoooo. No game looks as good as Horizon 2. This game wipes the floor with CyberPunk graphically. Even on your 3080 at ultra settings. No contest.

Last edited:

Mahavastu

I went and looked for myself, I'm actually blown away by how good performance mode looks.

not sure if it is only youtube, but it seems that in performance mode the details in the distance are shimmering. I guess this would be somewhat annoying, but I have not started the game yet (it is already on my disc though)...

Last edited:

Romulus

not sure if it is only youtube, but it seems that in performance mode the details in the distance are shimmering. I guess this would be somewhat annoying, but I have not started the game yet (it is already on my disc though)...

It's very slight, but it's such a small trade-off to me considering it's 2x the performance.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Character models in Cybperunk look like trash but ingame at least when driving around, the city looks magnificent in ray tracing mode.

Horizon has its own strengths. Hard to compare a game set in an urban futuristic world vs a game set in the wilderness. I'd say both are equally on par with Horizon taking a slight edge due to its character model rendering.

T0minator

v9czRN4.jpg

Without Photomode this game is absolutely incredible. Just standing there she looks like CGI in motion.

Photomode highlights the astounding work Guerilla put into this game.

Those of you posting Cyberpunk screenshots thinking it's more impressive are just kidding yourselves and you obviously haven't played Horizon Forbidden West

Could be true, I'm pretty sure though I found the facial animations in TLOU2 more convincing / real life.
I wouldn't be surprised though if thats just my experience with the game.
Same. I think its because they over exaggerate a bit. Might be tlou2 and red dead 2 really aim for realism and horizon is about robo dinos.

Rykan

You realize every shot posted in this thread, and all the gloating about the graphics, are from the 30fps quality mode right? The game looks awful at 60. Massive quality difference. My point was made with this exact game. If it was only 60 it would be awful. The performance mode was an afterthought just like I said it would be. And that will only continue going forward with games like this.

Even DF said to play it at 30.

You were wrong as usual.
You apparently need a quick reminder of the actual bullshit that you've spouted. Allow me to fresh up your memory.

You argued that the very inclusion of 60 fps modes in games would destroy graphical fidelity. No, not games that only offer 60 FPS. You specifically went after games that offer a 60 FPS mode.

It's time to face the music, buddy: You were wrong. like, hilariously wrong. Having a 60 FPS option was never going to destroy any game for those wanting to play at 30 FPS/Fidelity mode. The fact that you of all people made this thread, gawking over the visuals of a game that comes with a 60 FPS mode from day one, is hilarious.

"The GaMe LooK AwFul at 60" Actually no, it doesn't. It has some cutbacks, as is reasonable, but the difference is minor. Definitely not worth the sacrifice in fluidity, thats for sure. Ofcourse, I'm talking from the perspective of someone who actually plays games as opposed to someone who plays photo modes and wants games to be movies and judging by your example, bad movies at that.

The performance mode was an afterthought? Fucking LOL mate. Please inform us how the performance mode is an afterthought. These are some dark days so we could all really use a good laugh.

"EvEn DF SaId To PlAy At 30" Actually no, they've said they prefer the high fidelity mode. Which is totally fine, ofcourse.

Last edited:
No. I haven’t played the game.

But that has nothing to do with what you said earlier.

It’s unquestionably the best looking game out there on any platform. But saying you’re not going to get better visuals this gen is weird talk.

You might even see Ragnarok surpassing it this year.
Ragnarok won’t look better…

Sorry this doesn’t come close…

gamer82

this game looks incredible, I haven't played the first one yet so I will wait as I have a habit of buying games and then not getting round to them. so I'll look forward to trying it out when I get some time. I wish I had bought this first instead of dying light 2 to be honest. its crazy I can't even play on quality mode in ps5 it's so slow , skipping frames and looks terrible on that mode for me totally unplayable. then i'm amazed how good this games looks running on the same system.

Last edited:
Top Bottom