• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon: Forbidden West truly has the best in-game character models ever and its not really close

Topher

Gold Member
I'm waiting for arguments because I fail to see that.

As CG enthusiast I see high quality mesh, incredible material work, unconstrainted hair pipeline and nice sub-surface scattering.

And please, don't mention how HFW looks "tastier and more appealing" to the eye. I will immediately discard that. These two games have absolutely different design targets. HFW uses hero lighting and other exaggerated techniques. That's design choice. I am talking about raw graphical character fidelity.

You can discard whatever you want. You can talk whatever tech stuff you want too. I'm telling you that I'm looking at the "raw graphical character fidelity" of the images you presented and they don't look nearly as lifelike or realistic as what I'm seeing in HFW or the images others have shown here.

Edit: Wait.....isn't "hero lighting" the light that follows the character during game play? How is that a factor when it comes to up close facial character models? What "other exaggerated techniques" are you talking about? And what does it matter either way as long as the final product looks better?

Last edited:

Utherellus

You can discard whatever you want. You can talk whatever tech stuff you want too. I'm telling you that I'm looking at the images you presented and they don't look nearly as lifelike or realistic as what I'm seeing in HFW or the images others have shown here.

Discard away. I can do that just as easily.

Again, two very different design and mood targets.

Characters in Squadron42:

1. Don't have hero lighting. Everything is illuminated like it should, without invisible light sources.
2. They don't use makeup or accessories and they don't make Aloy's expressive faces to give you the "lifelike" immersion. They are navy officers.

Game has down to earth, settled Wing Commander/Navy design direction and rarely exceeds this kind of character performance:

P.S. Liam Cunningham here looks impressively realistic. I have no idea what are you talking about.

wm2Lwr8.jpg

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member

1. Don't have hero lighting. Everything is illuminated like it should, without invisible light sources.
2. They don't use makeup or accessories and they don't make Aloy's expressive faces to give you the "lifelike" immersion. They are navy officers.

Game has down to earth, settled Wing Commander/Navy design direction and rarely exceeds this kind of character performance:

Squadron 42 is set in space and so lighting should be quite different. If your entire point is that Squadron 42 has more realistic lighting then that might be a reasonable argument, but I have no idea why the fact that they made characters in HFW more "expressive" is somehow a negative. Aloy and the rest are not "navy officers" and so they are not acting like "navy officers". That the characters in Squadron 42 are acting according to the characters they are playing is fine, but what does that have to do with what is being discussed?

Kimahri

Banned
Serious question: Have you played through Horizon Forbidden West yet?

It's absolutely incredible especially as the game goes on. The gameplay definitely follows suit. Those types of comments usually come from someone that hasn't fully played this game
I played Killzone 1, 2 that PS4 launch turd, and the first Horizon. I'm done with giving them a chance.

Utherellus

Squadron 42 is set in space and so lighting should be quite different. If your entire point is that Squadron 42 has more realistic lighting then that might be a reasonable argument, but I have no idea why the fact that they made characters in HFW more "expressive" is somehow a negative. Aloy and the rest are not "navy officers" and so they are not acting like "navy officers". That the characters in Squadron 42 are acting according to the characters they are playing is fine, but what does that have to do with what is being discussed?

I never said HFW more expressive characters are negative. I said those are very different games in what they want to achieve.

HFW wants to achieve that blockbuster, eye-candy, colorful high contrast art direction.
SQ42 has very little of that.

At the beginning I compared two games strictly in terms of graphical fidelity. I stated that as a PC exclusive they can afford top tier pipeline budget, not available in last-gen console targeted games.

You took it to different direction. HFW characters look more eye-pleasing. Because they have make-up, beautiful, diverse, casual(handmade looking) accessories and clothes for different tribes.
SQ42 characters look more photoreal, strict and formal in sense of spaceship's bland, artificial lighting.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
I never said HFW more expressive characters are negative. I said those are very different games in what they want to achieve.

HFW wants to achieve that blockbuster, eye-candy, colorful high contrast art direction.
SQ42 has very little of that.

At the beginning I compared two games strictly in terms of graphical fidelity. I stated that as a PC exclusive they can afford top tier pipeline budget, not available in last-gen console targeted games.

You took it to different direction. HFW characters look more eye-pleasing.
SQ42 characters look more photoreal in sense of spaceship's bland, artificial lighting.

And I said that if we had more up to date images then I might agree with you, but the ones you showed us from four years ago are way behind. I'll agree to disagree.

Utherellus

And I said that if we had more up to date images then I might agree with you, but the ones you showed us from four years ago are way behind. I'll agree to disagree.

Well, let's wait for their updated tech to match next-gen standards as they go closer to release. They are well known for upgrading tech.

IBGcDxl.jpg

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year

P.S. Liam Cunningham here looks impressively realistic. I have no idea what are you talking about.

wm2Lwr8.jpg

These are already old assets from a few years ago. The models look much much better now.

Last edited:

Vick

I'm waiting for arguments because I fail to see that.

As CG enthusiast I see high quality mesh, incredible material work, unconstrainted hair pipeline and nice sub-surface scattering.
They are entirely missing what Naughty Dog regard as Next-Gen features (time-stamped):

Present for the most part in Forbidden West.

What you posted is really not that technically different from Quantic Dream's work this gen.
I know, these models will probably improve.. but it's Star Citizen after all. I remember people using to disregard Naughty Dog work in The Last of Us. The first one, on PS3, in 2013.

VFXVeteran

Banned
I don't know how to address this.

"Best" at what? Shaders? Art Concept? Complexity? Animation? Are we talking in-gameplay without photomode on? Are we comparing cinematics or just the raw gameplay character while running around?

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year

"Best" at what? Shaders? Art Concept? Complexity? Animation? Are we talking in-gameplay without photomode on? Are we comparing cinematics or just the raw gameplay character while running around?

in-game or photomode...they are the same.

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
There's always a PC gamer in denial whenever a console game leads in visuals. In this case its night and day the best we've seen. I saw some insecure sap try to claim Dying Light 2 had better environments than HFW2!!! DL2 which half the time looks like an average last gen game.

I'm primary a PC gamer and I was very impressed with visuals in this game. The only area where it's lacking is lighting. Indoor lighting most of the time looks atrocious. But character models? Damn boy, they are next-level stuff.

CvLjKeY.jpg

Utherellus

They are entirely missing what Naughty Dog regard as Next-Gen features (time-stamped):

Present for the most part in Forbidden West.

What you posted is really not that technically different from Quantic Dream's work this gen.
I know, these models will probably improve.. but it's Star Citizen after all. I remember people using to disregard Naughty Dog work in The Last of Us. The first one, on PS3, in 2013.

Except Cloud Imperium was ahead of anything on the market until next-gen standards came. And

Their animation rigging budget and geometrical fidelity was highest in the industry.
Ellie's head has 350 joints and 20K polys. Squadron42 had 600 joints and 40K polys back in 2016

Only thing we are left with is wait and see how they upgrade Star Engine for next-gen.
Paralleled with SIGGRAPH presentation you posted, which was about Naughty Dog's next-gen plans, not what was shipped on PS4 generation.

1Y5OGQk.png

Last edited:

Vick

Paralleled with SIGGRAPH presentation you posted, which was about Naughty Dog's next-gen plans, not what was shipped on PS4 generation.
?

This should make it clear: Star Citizen doesn't feature peach fuzz on characters, which Naughty Dog regard as a Next-Gen feature in the SIGGRAPH video posted. Forbidden West does.

Last edited:

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.

Character models in-game and photo mode which are practically the same in HFW

Last edited:

VFXVeteran

Banned
Why would you want to address things about a game you haven't played in the first place?

You can't manage to hold your need for downplaying it until the PC port hits?
Wow. A troll attack when I haven't even said anything worthy of attacking.. is this how every thread about a Sony exclusive is going to be?

KungFucius

King Snowflake
It looks nice but runs like shit some times. The PS5 is really underpowered and the game is glitchy as fuck. I lost L2 and X responsiveness once. I have never seen such a thing. It was the context aspect that was broken. Reloading fixed it, but C'mon. And the fucking audio is a mess. I am crossing my fingers that this bullshit is due to cross gen.

because what the fuck is this

FMS-wzXXoAMwJaa

FMS-wzVXEAMU2zo

FMS-wzTXwAcPr_D

FMS-y08WQAkiekl

None of these are from cutscenes, they are legit in-game character models, during gameplay, zoomed in, captured myself during play time last night.

God bless Guerilla.

This is a gigantic leap forward and we are in for an insane generation.

All in all, the game looks like a playable Micheal Bay Transformers movie and I don't think the media made it a big enough deal. Its filthy.

FMS_HrRXEAoCthv

yay graphics.
She looks good that i want to bang her so bad. I normally don't say this about video game characters, but GG such a good job. Just waiting for PC port to enjoy Aloy focused sexy mods :p

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year
But you don't "play" in photomode. With the camera being far away from the player, the detail isn't the same.

If it was possible in gameplay, it would still be the same. The details are the same in gameplay and photomode. Photomode doesn't change anything by default. You just have more control over the camera then in gameplay mode.

Last edited:

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially

PCMR representative here. I played it on PS5 in res mode. I confirm that these models are best at all the things you mentioned. During gameplay. During cutscenes. And yes, in photo mode as well.

T0minator

I don't think Aloy looks realistic at all tbh

Does every game need to be "real"? That would be boring. Horizon is going more artistic beauty. Touches on realism but goes deep into the fantastical lush art style. It's 💯 amazing on PS5.

I'll stress again like I've said before in this thread. If you haven't played HFW on a PS5 there's no way to really appreciate what this game actually does. It's absolutely incredible the things this game achieves

VFXVeteran

Banned
PCMR representative here. I played it on PS5 in res mode. I confirm that these models are best at all the things you mentioned. During gameplay. During cutscenes. And yes, in photo mode as well.
I intentionally mentioned shaders just to see if someone would jump at the word because I know it's blatantly false. HFW doesn't have any superior shaders to *all* games. Sorry.. one of the best shaders to have that will drastically change visuals is ambient occlusion.. and guess what? We still see our glowing rocks friend yet again just like in the last Horizon. They increased the light probes but that isn't enough to normalize the lighting equation. Glow is still apparent.

Last edited:

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
I intentionally mentioned shaders just to see if someone would jump at the word because I know it's blatantly false. HFW doesn't have any superior shaders to *all* games. Sorry.. one of the best shaders to have that will drastically change visuals is ambient occlusion.. and guess what? We still see our glowing rocks friend yet again just like in the last Horizon. They increased the light probes but that isn't enough to normalize the lighting equation. Glow is still apparent.

Rocks are not people.

Is it that hard to see and admit that these character models are the best we've seen in a video game yet?

azertydu91

Hard to Kill
Rocks are not people.

Is it that hard to see and admit that these character models are the best we've seen in a video game yet?
"No you are wrong and to prove my point I will talk about something totally different, ignoring as usual the title and topic of the thread ...All that because you guys are all sony warriors."
I feel like it is the template to each and every of his posts.

Top Bottom