• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon: Forbidden West truly has the best in-game character models ever and its not really close

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
FMqpGBNWYAQzZFk

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
I'm pretty sure you will come up with some BS by the end of the day

"No you are wrong and to prove my point I will talk about something totally different, ignoring as usual the title and topic of the thread ...All that because you guys are all sony warriors."
I feel like it is the template to each and every of his posts.
Seeing Sony games get praise seems to get his blood boiling lol

azertydu91

Hard to Kill
Seeing Sony games get praise seems to get his blood boiling lol
No you don' get it,we're not worth his explanations, just his hatred.And if we are lucky he might greet us with us with his unproven rebutal/denial based on nothing but his bias and we should be grateful for that.
Simply for being in the presence of his lightmade being that knows the one and only truth.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
I intentionally mentioned shaders just to see if someone would jump at the word because I know it's blatantly false. HFW doesn't have any superior shaders to *all* games. Sorry.. one of the best shaders to have that will drastically change visuals is ambient occlusion.. and guess what? We still see our glowing rocks friend yet again just like in the last Horizon. They increased the light probes but that isn't enough to normalize the lighting equation. Glow is still apparent.
The headline is clear when he mentions in-game character models, but you're looking for a reason to disagree by talking about animations, shaders, etc. in separate categories.

People on NeoGAF are always talking about which game looks the best, but it seems that you really have a problem whenever Sony fans make this claim about a Sony exclusive.

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
Hobby, what good is it for me to name a game and it become a thread of subjective comments? We been down this road before. It's a waste of time. No one here is willing to be open-minded or open to accept that something else not a PS exclusive comes with the goods. So it's a waste of time.
Have you ever considered that if the majority of gamers here that have played the game, think it has the best character models, it just might be true

azertydu91

Hard to Kill
They do and make the game's lighting last gen looking. If you guys can't criticize any PS exclusive because you are so fanatical about the plastic, then you guys might as well create your circle jerk thread and stay in it.
And you really and actually think there's a conection between rocks and character model?Maybe if you stepped down from your ego you would finaly be able to read the title or the posts in this thread.
Because listen man I'm a dumbass, I quit school around sat due to health problems, I'm anemic af, fresh out of chemo just got covidd and I am high too.
Then explain to me how I can school you on another language about relevance in a tech thread where you barely posted anything relevant beside straight rebutal and goalpost moving?I mean I'm not a veteran of anything tech related yet I was more constructive with my jokes than you ever were in this thread.
Don't get me wrong I would correct you bullshitting in any other thread but you seem laser focused on sony games but heey it's better to call the other a fanboy than being relevant or provingyour claims. So keep going I guess this is a war that matters to you for me consoles and pc are just a means to an end...Playing games.That's why I can even find qualities in games I hated,you on the other side can't even admit when you were totally and unmistakenly proven wrong, maybe do a little introspection next time instead of standing on your ego hill of unproven opinion.
I can be wrong and have been more times than I can count(so probably more than 4) so do yourself a favor admit it too and progress as a human being.

T0minator

For me it's the the skin and the way it looks in motion that gets me. Thats some damn good skin!
KaZ6BGB.jpg

Aside from TLOU2 and possibly Uncharted 4. There aren't many in-game, controlling the camera, zooming in out graphics with character models (that's what this thread is about) than Horizon Forbidden West.

People that are saying that's not true...prove it. Where are the shots or even name the game and I'll look up the shots of the game...it doesn't exist

onQ123

KaZ6BGB.jpg

Aside from TLOU2 and possibly Uncharted 4. There aren't many in-game, controlling the camera, zooming in out graphics with character models (that's what this thread is about) than Horizon Forbidden West.

People that are saying that's not true...prove it. Where are the shots or even name the game and I'll look up the shots of the game...it doesn't exist

I can see the reflection of a glowing rock in her eyes 3/10

Sygma

because what the fuck is this

FMS-wzXXoAMwJaa

FMS-wzVXEAMU2zo

FMS-wzTXwAcPr_D

FMS-y08WQAkiekl

None of these are from cutscenes, they are legit in-game character models, during gameplay, zoomed in, captured myself during play time last night.

God bless Guerilla.

This is a gigantic leap forward and we are in for an insane generation.

All in all, the game looks like a playable Micheal Bay Transformers movie and I don't think the media made it a big enough deal. Its filthy.

FMS_HrRXEAoCthv

yay graphics.

cp 2077 utterly demolishes Forbidden West's character models. its not even close

Last edited:
No it's not because I have seen just as good character models. And no, I'm not going into naming them because it won't matter. I'll be trolled for even mentioning the games. So enjoy..
That's weak, so you don't even stand behind your own opinions.

Last edited:

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Nah, man. This is my screenshot of the game running at max settings on PC. Character models are amazing but HFW is just something else.

UEeq2pF.jpg
Yep. The jacket's edges (collar) looks so odd. The chain looks like it's floating and does not even create any shadow and the ear has weird jaggies. The hairs are all jumbled and mixed. CP2077 character models are excellent, no doubt, but they do not compete with HFW's.

Besides, we should be comparing the PS5 version of CP2077 and the PS5 version of Horizon Forbidden West. Not sure why people even bring $3,000 PCs to compare with $400 consoles. Do they also race against 3 year olds and then celebrate their victory when they "win"? lol.

In the HFW photo I posted above, you can see shadows, no jaggies or weird edges, and the skin just looks way more real. HFW has better character models (and most other visual things for that matter) than any other game currently available on the market.

Last edited:

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Yep. The jacket's edges (collar) looks so odd. The chain looks like it's floating and does not even create any shadow and the ear has weird jaggies. The hairs are all jumbled and mixed. CP2077 character models are excellent, no doubt, but they do not compete with HFW's.

Besides, we should be comparing the PS5 version of CP2077 and the PS5 version of Horizon Forbidden West. Not sure why people even bring $3,000 PCs to compare with $400 consoles. Do they also race against 3 year olds and then celebrate their victory when they "win"? lol.

In the HFW photo I posted above, you can see shadows, no jaggies or weird edges, and the skin just looks way more real. HFW has better character models (and most other visual things for that matter) than any other game currently available on the market.
Agreed, but compared to how some PS2 and PS3 games looked, trait still taken by some Japanese games today, one critique I can make is how most games feel smaller than they should because they concentrate detail very close to the player and post process the heck out of things further out in the distance which optically makes the field of view / world feel less open and vast than it should feel.
U4pbi3F.jpg

Last edited:

Vick

This time VFXVeteran VFXVeteran truly outdid himself.

"There are better characters in other games, but i won't even tell you which. Enjoy."

Amazing.

Nah, man. This is my screenshot of the game running at max settings on PC. Character models are amazing but HFW is just something else.
Aloy boobies have more polygons/higher resolution textures than any in Cyberpunk 2077 despite the fact you're never even supposed to see them.

That's an utter dominance display by GG in my book.

Ozriel

M$FT
I think the next big leap will be when studios start using Unreal Engine’s MetaHuman creator. Some of the models they’ve shown off are truly spectacular.

For games that are out now, I think it’s a clear win for Forbidden West.

It’s going to be a great gen for visuals once the next gen pipeline gets fully going.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
This time VFXVeteran VFXVeteran truly outdid himself.

"There are better characters in other games, but i won't even tell you which. Enjoy."

Amazing.

Aloy boobies have more polygons/higher resolution textures than any in Cyberpunk 2077 despite the fact you're never even supposed to see them.

That's an utter dominance display by GG in my book.
Agreed.

Separated by teraflops; united by boobs.

Data Ghost

Best character models indeed! :messenger_heart:

0hJHO6B.jpg
Honesty, if you can't appreciate the beauty, art direction, and technical mastery on display here then you either hate Horizon (for some personal reason) or you are a blind fanboy. I have always been a multi-platform gamer, and I have openly leaned towards XSX so far this generation for various reasons, but this is unmatched. Simple as.

EDIT: And whether you think the characters look realistic or cartoony doesn't detract from just how good they look on the eyes. I feel like I am getting a constant eyeball massage. I feel like my eyes are being slowly made love to while HFW whispers to them how much it needs them.

Last edited:

VFXVeteran

Banned

In your comparison, CP's character isn't using ambient occlusion and it shows when the character is in shadow. To make that test equal, you have to put Aloy in shadow as well where there is no direct sunlight and then compare if it has AO for the clothing items.

azertydu91

Hard to Kill
I can't see the model, the rocks glow too much, maybe if I squint my eyes I'll be able to see if it is next gen.
Back on topic it's a great looking outfit, too bad that the perk it comes with weren't compatible with my playstyle, because I think it is the trap focused armor right ?
One thing I do regret though, is I would've liked the armor to visually change with upgrades (a bit like in Ghost of Tsushima, were you can even select previous appearence even when fully upgraded).

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
In your comparison, CP's character isn't using ambient occlusion and it shows when the character is in shadow. To make that test equal, you have to put Aloy in shadow as well where there is no direct sunlight and then compare if it has AO for the clothing items.
Fair enough. People who think CP2077 has better character models than HFW should then come up with their OG in-game screenshots (with the right/equivalent setup and environment) so we can compare the two.

Top Bottom