• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon: Forbidden West truly has the best in-game character models ever and its not really close

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year
Funny, in HFW they look like animatronics to me.

You can say as much as you want, but nothing about the CP characters looks realistic, not to mention the skin shaders. A lot of people use reshade to make it look better, but out of the box..Forbidden West shits over CP character models. There are even other games with better character models then CP.

100% Gameplay
USpudCA.jpg
Mblv8iE.jpg
spDRguM.jpg
OMfllwu.jpg

SSfox

In fidelity sure, thats just more polygons. But with red dead 2, really felt like they were real people and not puppets. Very subtle things Rockstar does in their animations that cant be matched since they have unlimited money . I mean..

I know what mean, i think Horizon purely graphic wise is better, but there is something lacking compare to RDR2 or Uncharted 2, God Of War maybe it's because im bigger fans of Kratos, Nathan or Arthur than Aloy, but there is something special about the latest games. But Horizon looks great still, but i wouldn't put it as the level of God Of War or Red Dead.

Last edited:
You can say as much as you want, but nothing about the CP characters looks realistic, not to mention the skin shaders. A lot of people use reshade to make it look better, but out of the box..Forbidden West shits over CP character models. There are even other games with better character models then CP.

Yeah, they’re honestly not even in the same league and i like cyberpunk

sankt-Antonio

:^)--?-<
Is it just me or do the NPC in the later stage of story mission look worse than the very first Merchants? Especially
Ceo

Played Cyberpunkt for the first time yesterday, holy shit do Models look bad compared to HFW.

Markio128

I can hand-on-heart say that I haven’t played a game as stunning looking as HFW. The amount of work that must have gone into this game by the artists is absurd. Even the wildlife is hyper realistic. It doesn’t matter where your allegiances lie because it’s this pushing of the envelope that will drive the industry forward as a whole in the visual department and benefit everyone. It isn’t about terraflops and jiggerypokery’s, it’s about talent and nothing more.

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
Last of us 2 and rdr 2 are still the high marks for me. I would say this is on par aith guardians of the galaxy.
I should have put this in the OP.

TLOU 2 is my fave game of all time (by far, nothing comes close for me) and I still think it has the best facial animations in the industry. Meaning the way the faces move in TLOU 2 is more natural, and convincing than any other game.

this thread is about character models IN GAME. And overall visual fidelity. Horizon has the crown.

Kuranghi

Its sad that someone might now get into trouble for putting chebs/nipples on a pixel woman that would never normally even be seen anyway.

As a side note, I bet no one has ever fondled those boobies, she aint even got time for heavy petting, shes gotta save da world!

Iorveth

Banned
v9czRN4.jpg

Without Photomode this game is absolutely incredible. Just standing there she looks like CGI in motion.

Photomode highlights the astounding work Guerilla put into this game.

Those of you posting Cyberpunk screenshots thinking it's more impressive are just kidding yourselves and you obviously haven't played Horizon Forbidden West
Needs more fog.

Reactions: pab

Kuranghi

He'll probably say it's because the game doesn't look like it does it in Photomode. But Horizon Forbidden West is one of the few games where in game is the exact same character model. Photomode is just a great way to see the game from better angles.

Also in photomode there could be some accumulation/supersampling happening but the degradation of the photo from the compression when capturing it probably makes the screenshotted photomode look similar to the way the real-time game looks natively on a good screen.

Tripolygon

Banned
Also in photomode there could be some accumulation/supersampling happening but the degradation of the photo from the compression when capturing it probably makes the screenshotted photomode look similar to the way the real-time game looks natively on a good screen.
What is rather fascinating is that the vast majority of games do not do that, only a few games especially racing games do that where they supersample to give a cleaner image. What photo modes allow is curated camera angles and might allow you to adjust the light position for a more flattering shot. In the end, the same model present in gameplay is used.

Last edited:
Fidelity yes. Motion capture animation no.

Vick

This guy..

Imagine enjoying copy paste derivative open worlds about robot dinosaurs... in 2022. Sorry for expecting more of this industry than this ridiculous garbage.
Wouldn't be the first time a garbage game sold well just because the platform owner shoved it down everyones throat. Play more games. This Clash of Clans x Transformers garbage is the most bottom of the barrel open world cancer I've ever played.

Loves Cyberpunk 2077.

lt0nya-don-draper.gif

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
I kind of doubt God of War Ragnarok could surpass HFW in terms of graphic, judging by the trailer, its not a major improvement over the 2018 GoW, we'll see when it release, and I certainly hope it does.
There was one trailer for Horizon Forbidden West where people also said it didn't look that impressive

I think we should wait to see the end product with God of War Ragnarok, chances are it's going to look really good

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
It's a good thing this game looks awesome regardless. During gameplay it's top tier quality still

qK9Fd4w.jpg
jHza20S.jpg
UeHDDWe.jpg
Oa9mjCC.jpg
Thanks for this.

I took a ton of screen shots during gameplay, because the first thing I saw was ppl bringing up photo mode.

Needs more fog.

Ya know...there are many places you can go in the game and check out the draw distance. Up high or on the ground.

T0minator

They've alwayd been a graphics powerhouse. Shame gameplay never follows suit.

I know which I rank higher.

Serious question: Have you played through Horizon Forbidden West yet?

It's absolutely incredible especially as the game goes on. The gameplay definitely follows suit. Those types of comments usually come from someone that hasn't fully played this game

Last edited:

Utherellus

Forbidden West not only features very high-quality assets, it also uses hyper-realistic visual style hence pleasing the eye in a "tasty" way.

But in terms of raw asset quality, Squadron 42 is still unmatched, being targeted as PC hardware exclusive.

They pioneered 3D spline hair pipeline in characters, bloodflow wrinkle maps and unprecedented quantity of poly count as well as animation joint quantity, exceeding even TLOU2.

And these are outdated models from 2018, their pipeline improves every 2-3 years.

wm2Lwr8.jpg

YOzkzNA.png

PIT5Hwo.png

Topher

Gold Member
Forbidden West not only features very high-quality assets, it also uses hyper-realistic visual style hence pleasing the eye in a "tasty" way.

But in terms of raw asset quality, Squadron 42 is still unmatched, being targeted as PC hardware exclusive.

They pioneered 3D spline hair pipeline in characters, bloodflow wrinkle maps and unprecedented quantity of poly count as well as animation joint quantity, exceeding even TLOU2.

And these are outdated models from 2018, their pipeline improves every 2-3 years.

wm2Lwr8.jpg

YOzkzNA.png

PIT5Hwo.png

I disagree. I'm sure the visuals will improve since, as you say, these are four years old, but right now what you are showing here is simply not on par with HFW, imo.

Utherellus

I disagree. I'm sure the visuals will improve since, as you say, these are four years old, but right now what you are showing here is simply not on par with HFW, imo.

I'm waiting for arguments because I fail to see that.

As CG enthusiast I see high quality mesh, incredible material work, unconstrainted hair pipeline and nice sub-surface scattering.

And please, don't mention how HFW looks "tastier and more appealing" to the eye. I will immediately discard that. These two games have absolutely different design targets. HFW uses hero lighting and other exaggerated techniques. That's design choice. I am talking about raw graphical character fidelity.

Top Bottom