• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon Forbidden West will launch on PS4 too

Yoboman

Sony in June: "we believe in generations"
Gamers: "So do we!"
Sony in September:

Jl003EA.png

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Cross posting from the spiderman thread.

What a load of fucking shit. Now era is saying that even Horizon Forbidden West is cross gen. Demon Souls is coming to other consoles which means thats also cross gen because as a first party games its defintely not going to Xbox.

And the worst part is that they lied to our faces. We believe in generations my ass.

Apologies to all the xbox fanboys who got perma'd over this. they were right about Miles being cross gen and now with pretty much everything else looking cross gen, its time to bring them back. They were right, we were wrong. Time to suck it up and revoke their perma bans. they werent spreading fud, they were just talking sense.
Just about every game is cross gen the first year or two. Ok, there might be a Resogun or KZ SF or KIller Instinct, but no corporation is going to bet the farm on games only being developed for a console with a launch base of under 10 million the first year.

Bojanglez

The Amiga Brotherhood
It being on another system does not preclude me from enjoying it on another. Bring it to PC as well for all I care. Especially if this brings in more money to invest in more game dev in the future. Hopefully there will come a point where games are developed solely with SSD and faster CPUs in mind, but it seems that time is not yet.

CamHostage

How?!

Looks pretty next-gen to me. I guess the PS4 version will be more of a demake. That's fine too.

Yeah, if it's an external studio collaborating with Guerrilla then fine; if they're having the same studio doing both versions though then I'm nervous for Guerilla's time and management, their eyes should be fully on PS5.

Forbidden West so far is visually "next-gen" to me (there's not much if anything that challenges it even) so it's more of a bad impression of the news than a few that the PS5 version won't be maximized, but it did feel like this and Ratchet were planting a next-gen marker and now it's frustrating that the chains are being moved back again.

Yeah, I would have preferred them investing money in making only the PS5 version.

I mean, if it makes money then fine (and there will still be a lot of PS4s out there.) I'm more concerned about the manpower and priorities, but if the engine still scales despite the upgrade and there's an outside or skeleton crew porting it down then whatever. It'd feel better just offhand if it was PS5-first and then finished-later on PS4, but I'm not sure the PS4 market has the time to wait...

Last edited:

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year
While this is a bit weird. If i compare this to xbox....they have nothing really worthwhile for a very long time.

cormack12

Gold Member
Got to be honest though a lot of those faces and stuff we saw didn't look like a generational leap. At all. Outside of particles, lighting and effects they didnt look a world away from what we have now.

Having said that, COVID and the economy probably forecasts slow uptake after the initial front loaded early adopters. Games are for everyone and if you have invested in Xbox or PlayStation then its nice they feel a duty of care to look after those in that position

Batiman

Banned
God of war is next. I can’t really think of a reason why it wouldn’t? Doesn’t seem like the type of game that needs next gen ssd for impossible things that can’t work on PS4. It’ll probably just be a downgraded version of the ps5.

Arun1910

Has no one ever been around for the start of a new generation?

Games will be cross gen for ages, that is obvious. And with the PS4 outselling the Xbox more than 2:1 why on earth would Sony cut off that playerbase at the moment?

We are in a transition phase, both companies will do it, because that's how it's always been.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
On the plus side, Sony is giving people 2 months notice on these cross gen games.

What they could have done is pull a Driveclub and get gamers preordering systems and games and then a month before launch, they delay the game till next year when they could have told gamers months ago it wasn't coming out. With a month before launch, the game should already be pressed and in 1000s of wholesale boxes ready to open. And they kept their mouths shut.

Yoboman

Has no one ever been around for the start of a new generation?

Games will be cross gen for ages, that is obvious. And with the PS4 outselling the Xbox more than 2:1 why on earth would Sony cut off that playerbase at the moment?

We are in a transition phase, both companies will do it, because that's how it's always been.
Exclusives generally have not followed this path

Arun1910

Exclusives generally have not followed this path
Sure, generally, but the 2:1 in sales is a big factor for wanting to market cross gen for a while, that is a LOT of money not being made if they cut off the PS4 player base straight away.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Why? Fuck so I guess GoW 5 will be the first true next-gen game??
You mean that Ragnarok game.

Definitely not if it really does come out in 2021, which I already doubt. Then again, maybe it's a gimped Spiderman MM kind of game at a discount price.

But if it is a bonafide sequal, there is no way Sony is going to release it in 2021. Maybe 2023 if you're lucky. Sony typically releases their heavy hitter exclusives for next gen consoles only when there's a decent install base.

If it does come out in 2021 like a Mile Morales game, 100% it is for PS4 too.

Last edited:
It's recession time everybody. I for one am glad I have even less reason to look into a PS5. But this really leaves Sony in a much closer place to MS. I have a feeling cross gen is is going to be quite a bit longer this time around... But hey, it's all about the games right?

Chromata

There has to be some sort of mistranslation here. There's no way this is true.

If it is, looks like I'm not buying a PS5 any time soon lol.

Top Bottom