• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon Zero Dawn on PC (Same guy that "predicted" Death Stranding)

Status
Not open for further replies.
You'd have to be kidding yourself if you think they're going to this with the thought of Hzd 2 to be ps5 exclusive, thinking ppl will buy a ps5 after that.

They're just going to do exactly what ms is doing.
Yeah it might be a slower burn to start out but the eventuality is day and date releases.

Now that you guys know I'm not a fraud, perhaps I can repeat myself with my words sinking in:

1) PC is the primary development platform for nearly ALL games 1st party and 3rd party. Believe it or not, it's been that way for quite some time I'm told.
2) Sony's shift into the PC realm is going to get bigger and that means going from a hardware selling model to a game selling model (ala Microsoft).
3) There is no such thing as porting backwards. PC version is the de facto best vision of the director and assets/shaders, etc.. get ported DOWN. So releasing on the PC has always been a corporate decision. All assets are created so that they can't possibly run on a console.

NOTE: Watch the PS5 released games and keep in mind a PC version could lurk in the corner giving even better fidelity given the correct hardware.
FUCK ME !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:O

Last edited:
Good to hear. And this goes for MS too. Now if only Nintnedo did it. More games that can be played across platforms, the more money the company makes and the more the studio makes. Win win.

Unless you are one of these people................

Isn't it great how everyone's stereo can play the same disc or media player? And even better, you can even mix and match the unit, speakers and subwoofer from different brands and it still works.

Isn't it great how every car and gas station works where no matter what type of gas you need, the gas station has it?

But when it comes to video games, fuck that. I want only my piece of hardware to play certain games. It raises my self esteem when I sit in the living room playing a game in the dark in my walled ecosystem, knowing random people can't play the same game halfway around the world. Who gives a shit about jobs, buying a house and making sure my family is fed, walled garden gaming is of utmost priority to prevent personal depression.
I love you man. I love the way you think and couldn't have said it any better.

I long for a unified gaming community. Shit tickles my bottom everytime i think of it.

VFXVeteran

Banned
Dont see that anywhere

1080 - 1080Ti performance. TFLOPs is a dreamworld term. I can't even use it with my CUDA programming at work. Calculating the theoretical bandwidth and then seeing it orders of magnitude less in practice has convinced me it all depends on how talented a developer can create his own Leonardo DeVinci memory management pipeline that can take advantage of all the layers of memory available (VRAM, L2, L1, Unified Memory banks, Shared memory pool, and registers), what their limits are and how to keep the pipeline from wasting cycles, and/or too many fetches to main memory. It's an art for sure.

thelastword

Banned
Cheers on this one VFXVeteran VFXVeteran , we will see what else comes, but you did say many will come, so we shall see...……..As long as SP games don't come day 1 to PC, I think the extra revenue Sony will make of this is worth it.....to fund sequels, future projects et al...…..

I'm thinking Sony might want to expand PSVR to PC too, which makes sense...….PC gamers will buy Sony hardware and buy Sony's VR games, win win.....

It's crazy, but recently I was reading a piece on how important it is for consoles to really expand their base, their coverage and revenue stream...…. and Sony was sifting through ideas...….I think this is one way, it may not limit console adoption if done right, it might actually expand it, but one thing is essential, people will need to want to play your games...…..At the end of the day,no matter what service you offer and no matter how much you want to expand your reach, if you don't have the games, nobody will come...….Ask Stadia if old...….

if Sony starts to release all their first party stuff on PC (like MS) I might just sit this next gen out and put more money into my next PC build which I'm planning on doing in about 6-7 months. I am completely cool with that

I have so many questions about why Sony thinks now is the right time to do this... Did they think they were going to lose ground to MS in platform agnostic subscriptions that they couldn't recoup by the end of nextgen?

Ever since MS went this route I was like 'big woop I'll just get a PS5 and build a pc to play any MS exclusives I may want' but now... Do I just not get a console? It's weird to think about that possibility.

It also doesn't quite make sense for them to make this move yet. It's going to completely undermine the release of PS5. In fact, it seems like with both MS and Sony on PC the big winners are going to be... Nvidia and Steam. It even adds value back into the Xbox hardware because now either console is a viable secondary to a PC.

If this is the route both are going how do they recoup lost PSN and Xbox live subs as millions migrate to PC? Or the 30% cut on 3rd party sales in their closed ecosystem?

Further, what's the point of the separate consoles anymore? If they are okay with open systems they should just share R&D and release a single baseline thats a pseudo closed box HTPC every 5 years.

This happening before either new console is released is just bizarre to me.

slade

I wonder if they are doing this because adoption of next Gen consoles is expected to be slow. Meaning, we are looking at 600 dollar consoles again. Might as well make a buck wherever you can since AAA game budgets are so huge now.

Also, they could work out some deal with Epic; make their games Epic Game Store exclusive and get some sort of timed exclusivity from Epic Games.

meirl

Banned
Now that you guys know I'm not a fraud, perhaps I can repeat myself with my words sinking in:

1) PC is the primary development platform for nearly ALL games 1st party and 3rd party. Believe it or not, it's been that way for quite some time I'm told.
2) Sony's shift into the PC realm is going to get bigger and that means going from a hardware selling model to a game selling model (ala Microsoft).
3) There is no such thing as porting backwards. PC version is the de facto best vision of the director and assets/shaders, etc.. get ported DOWN. So releasing on the PC has always been a corporate decision. All assets are created so that they can't possibly run on a console.

NOTE: Watch the PS5 released games and keep in mind a PC version could lurk in the corner giving even better fidelity given the correct hardware.

yeah. This makes perfectly sense.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
I'm not saying it will not happen,. learn how to read. I'm saying there's no evidence and you have failed to present any, you both just throw shit around to be able to say I told you so if it does or forget it happened if it doesn't, after all you're not even giving a time frame now, just an "eventually", lol. Great, very diplomatic of you, gg.
I will just say this. My sources have verified to me that this article is true. I'll leave it at that.
So, it's no longer February, any more excuses? Something like, it was gonna be announced but coronavirus made them postpone this? No? >_>

Last edited:

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
No idea what you're trying to say. I don't want anyone to do anything on my behalf, good or bad, you're free to make your own choices :d

Just weird that they were already celebrating over more rumor mongering as if it confirmed it but the deadline has passed and?

Maybe they had it planned for Feb 31st and just realized Feb is cut short so it has to be March 2nd? Fingers crossed?

Last edited:

Nickolaidas

I don't see older games coming to PC a big deal.
Same here.

MS: all 1st party games arrives on both XSex and PC day one
Sony: All 1st party games arrive on PC half a gen later

Not all people will be willing to wait three years to play a timed exclusive on PC

However, Sony could just as easily wake up the next day and say the same thing with MS. We'll see.

Geki-D

Banned
I don’t see games coming to PC on the same day a big deal. Why people are even slightly upset about this prospect?
Why would I buy a Series X if I can just play the games on my PC? Or even just get X Cloud and stream it to my PC or (going off latest news) to my Samsung TV?

Are we really pretending exclusives on a single platform aren't a massive advantage for said platform? Please, don't insult your own intelligence.

Geki-D

Banned
Because … it would cost less?
? To who? For me it would. For MS, however they just undercut their own console business. So not only do they miss out on the sale of a console but also on the individual sale of the game I would have gotten for it seeing as I'd rather, in the case of X Cloud, stream it within my monthly sub.

I'm not sure if you've heard, but lower revenue tends to actually affect a company. In the case of Sony, the reason most of the highest rated games this gen, last gen, and not doubt the gen before that were by them, was because they were motivated to push good exclusives to in turn push console sales. I'd rather that trend keep up, rather than them doing something like, say buying a few junk to middling tier game studios to quickly pump out games to fill a multiplatform streaming service.

Nickolaidas

I can’t even imagine how it is to to think that way. What a sad bunch of people. :messenger_hushed:
All diehard fans think that way - want to have something others don't in order to lord it over others. PC fanboys will cling to their MAX graphic cards neglecting their tremendous prices, console fanboys will cling to exclusives neglecting their consoles' mid-low specs, etc.

Nickolaidas

? To who? For me it would. For MS, however they just undercut their own console business. So not only do they miss out on the sale of a console but also on the individual sale of the game I would have gotten for it seeing as I'd rather, in the case of X Cloud, stream it within my monthly sub.

There are some people who would like to buy Halo, but not to the point of buying an X1X for it. X games coming to PC guarantees MS to get a Halo sale from those people.

There are people who don't want to pay 1000$ to play Halo on a strong PC, but are willing to pay 500$ (XSex) to play MS exclusives, which guarantees MS multiple console and software sales.

One way or another, MS gets your money, which is the point.

Why would I buy a Series X if I can just play the games on my PC? Or even just get X Cloud and stream it to my PC or (going off latest news) to my Samsung TV?

Are we really pretending exclusives on a single platform aren't a massive advantage for said platform? Please, don't insult your own intelligence.

Are you a platform or are you a customer? All the things you listed are good for you. I would be worried about intelligence of people who fail to understand it. I’m just fine, thank you.:messenger_grinning_sweat:

It is kinda funny considering the guy with this rumor was puffing out his chest as someone in the know, I mean, you can say it'll be me with egg on my face when this is announced but it could be 3 years from now and that'd still be the argument, with all the rumors that were swirling people claimed Sony would crush the rumor but wouldn't you also assume if it was true someone ought to have confirmed it by now? The thing is the guy in the thread was using this news as evidence of further rumored exclusives hitting PC, so if even this can't be confirmed still we definitely shouldn't have bought the further rumor.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
Are you a platform or are you a customer? All the things you listed are good for you. I would be worried about intelligence of people who fail to understand it. I’m just fine, thank you.:messenger_grinning_sweat:
I hope you understand, that gaming PC it's not something cheap. If you have one good enough, then good. But a lot of people simply does not have that luxury.

Edit:
What the fuck you are laughing at bois? : D

Last edited:

Sussoloc

Why do people buy a PS4 if they can play most Sony games on a pc with PS Now? In the first place of course because most people simply buy XB/PS for 3rd party games. Then you can't compare a pc to a console. It's just like cars and motorcycles. Both drive, make fun and get you from A to B. But the feeling is completely different.

psorcerer

Banned

Which "customer"?
The ones that likes a shitload of $3 bargain bin shovelware?
Nope. I'm not that customer.
And having platform exclusives is the only way to keep that "it's pile of shit, but it's a lot of games!" out.

HolyTruth

Banned
There are some people who would like to buy Halo, but not to the point of buying an X1X for it. X games coming to PC guarantees MS to get a Halo sale from those people.

There are people who don't want to pay 1000$ to play Halo on a strong PC, but are willing to pay 500$ (XSex) to play MS exclusives, which guarantees MS multiple console and software sales.

One way or another, MS gets your money, which is the point.

there a billion more people who want to play games but don’t know shit about how to configure a PC. Don’t know shit about drivers and shit.
There are also working people that DONT HAVE THE TIME for this shit and just WANT TO PLAY.

the lost sales to MS are so damn minimal. They don’t give a flying fuck.

Neofire

Same here.

MS: all 1st party games arrives on both XSex and PC day one
Sony: All 1st party games arrive on PC half a gen later

Not all people will be willing to wait three years to play a timed exclusive on PC

However, Sony could just as easily wake up the next day and say the same thing with MS. We'll see.
Noone is saying a few 3 year old games coming to the pc is bad, but all their 1st party games? Again this hurts attach rate on the Playstation, a good bit of pc gamers are stubborn so waiting a few years for a port is no big deal to them. I've seen it for years.

VS them knowing that a port is never coming to pc and breaking down and getting the game on its intended platform because they know the game is worth playing.

Last edited:
Because one of the cards diehard Sony fanboys want to play is the 'I have Horizon Dawn - you don't! Nyah nyah nyahanyah nyah!'. These news ruin it.

For me, there is a lot more to it than this.

+ Sony (and other console manufacturers) want you to get onto their platform.
+ In order to get you onto their platform, they need to provide a great gaming experience.
+ One way to do this is to create unique games and that aren't found elsewhere.
+ Therefore, we get Uncharted, God of War, Bloodbourne, Horizon Zero Dawn, The Last of Us, Gravity Rush, etc.

Now consider what would happen if we started throwing all the games onto every available platform. After a few years, there's not going to be much point in creating something special and unique, because you're not trying to draw gamers to one place anymore.

You're probably reading the above and thinking, but if you create something unique and put it out there lots of gamers will buy it and it'll be a great success, bringing in a lot of money in the process.

Yes, that's true. But there's something else one needs to consider: creating something unique is a massive, massive financial risk; just look at the way Hollywood keeps throwing out the remakes and sequels. It's because in the main it's safer than trying something new. Companies have and do go bankrupt in their quest to deliver something special and ultimately failing hard. Sony actually bankroll a lot of games that are risky but just may well pay off by making gamers buy a PlayStation to play them.

In short: this industry has been built on platform exclusives and needs to remain that way.

Tomeru

In short: this industry has been built on platform exclusives and needs to remain that way.

Its turning into hardware exclusives (if you will). You like one console because its design is more to your liking, the controller is more to your liking, you get extra bits of hardware (ex vr), you like the services more - and best of all its practically p&p.

Or you could get it on pc if you dont mind the 'hussle'. I dont. I'll get the game on pc if its available, but will still get a ps5 because I like their take on things. Always have.

In short, we are still not at the available everywhere point, only available also on pc (and streamable to your tablet or phone lmao. Useless stuff).

Nickolaidas

Why buy multiple machines if the same games can be played on each?

It's a big deal

It's an option: Either fork out 1500 bucks and play both PS5 & XSex games at (nearly) MAX settings, or fork out 500 bucks to play Sony or MS exclusives and have access to their store deals and offers.

Panaphonics

Banned
It's an option: Either fork out 1500 bucks and play both PS5 & XSex games at (nearly) MAX settings, or fork out 500 bucks to play Sony or MS exclusives and have access to their store deals and offers.

well, with Xbox you could get 3 years of gold and gamepass for ~$150 and would get all exclusives and a lot of other games included without extra pay - even Japanese games like Kingdom Hearts 3 and Final Fantasy 15 are in there.
So, from a price perspective MS easily wins.
But we will see what the final price of the consoles will be.

yurinka

The guy said Horizon for PC was going to be announced 'very soon' and was going to be released February 2020.

We're in March 2020, where is Horizon for PC outside PS Now and Remote Play? Oh wait, it's just another fake rumor.

Sussoloc

The guy said Horizon for PC was going to be announced 'very soon' and was going to be released February 2020.

We're in March 2020, where is Horizon for PC outside PS Now and Remote Play? Oh wait, it's just another fake rumor.
Who knows? Maybe it is fake, maybe they will announce it together with the PS5.

Last edited:

Why would I fork out 1500$ for a PC to get shitty unstable ports, keep up with the latest versions of drivers and tinker in the settings menu to adjust graphics when I can can do the same, without the hassle for 499$?

My point is 90% of console gamers will never become PC gamers and MS's knows this.

Last edited:

Kenpachii

Guess horizon zero dawn finally got out of beta testing, nice.
Why would I fork out 1500$ for a PC to get shitty unstable ports, keep up with the latest versions of drivers and tinker in the settings menu to adjust graphics when I can can do the same, without the hassle for 499$?

My point is 90% of console gamers will never become PC gamers and MS's knows this.

3r4e3h.jpg

vkbest

Would be the most dumbest move Sony could do. In fact if this rumor is true, is dumb make this strategy to port to PC the same year you need market your new hardware.

SleepDoctor

Banned
Would be the most dumbest move Sony could do. In fact if this rumor is true, is dumb make this strategy to port to PC the same year you need market your new hardware.

The outrage would be hilarious tho and Sony killed their forums of so people would have to resort to Twitter to demand answers (that they wouldn't get).

I really don't see what this fad of releasing on pc. You're killing the incentive of people wanting your console.

Sussoloc

It's on pc anyways via PS Now, i don't think a port would be that much of an impact. Sure, a few die hard fanboys would cry their eyes out, but who cares?

yurinka

'Maybe'? C'mon, we're in March.

According to that rumor it was supposed to be released on PC last month and they don't even announced it. There are two options:
1) It's fake bullshit
2) It was a mistake and whoever told them meant that they were going to include it on PS Now (so 'playable on PC') and in the chain of people who were telling the rumor one to another one of them changed the news saying it was going to be releasing in PC stores.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom