• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon Zero Dawn |OT| The Land After Time

Status
Not open for further replies.
When your mount is tired of the Scrapper's shit

source.gif

Okada

Has anyone else had issues with their PS4 (Pro) fans going crazy on the map screen?

Similar to what happens at the Blacksmith on Nioh.

Damn, I think i missed the first audio log, because the "press triangle to listen" was not triggered. I couldn't return to it, after listening to the next one, because it was behind the metal door, which is closed after going through it.
Can I go back later?
Is there a trophy for every audio log?
Hope i did not fucked up and can not get every audio log anymore.

I haven't gotten to spend much time with Horizon yet, but I'm really goddamn impressed, which is a pleasant surprise considering that I was still feeling wary that Horizon would be my kind of game even after the reviews came out. I have such a love/hate relationship with open world games, as the lack of focus usually really annoys me, often at the sacrifice of pacing and story. I'm pleased that Horizon has a really strong narrative throughline, and the pacing is great thus far. There has been some genuine nuance with the dialogue and character dynamics, I'm pleasantly surprised and intrigued by it all. The game runs beautifully too on OG PS4, it's legit fucking sorcery.

More than anything else, the absolute highlight for me is the level design, which is completely organic and naturalistic. It's not too cluttered, and not too sparse. I've played a lot of open world games/RPGs over the years, and I don't think I'm being too hyperbolic when I say this is the most impressed I've been. I love the story telling through level design, too, I spent waaaaaay too long in the prologue.

re: the prologue -
a miracle, a child in a video that is well acted, especially the end interacting with Rost. 'Follow!'

Also, re: Rost, this is me:
tumblr_o1ni0fbxRY1qc8jh0o4_540.gif

I'm watching you, GG.

spekkeh

Banned
FYI if you have a game suspended, it sometimes takes forever to download anything. I had Fallout 4 suspended while I DL'd a bunch of shit and as soon as I closed the application, my speeds were much better.

Hmm that's a good tip, but I think I already rebooted during one of my rages this afternoon.

tumblr_inline_n37jihjgQM1ra8e0x.gif

Any tips to playing with no HUD? I always play with a HUD but this game is so beautiful I don't want to cover anything up. How will I know where my health is at? Does it basically turn it into hard mode?

Excited to try this tonight. I loved the world building of Witcher 3, but the game play caused me to bail on it. If this has even half the world building of Witcher 3 but better game play mechanics I'm sure I'll love it

Okada

Any tips to playing with no HUD? I always play with a HUD but this game is so beautiful I don't want to cover anything up. How will I know where my health is at? Does it basically turn it into hard mode?

You can just rest your thumb on the touch pad to temporarily bring the hud back.

The Lamp

Damn, I think i missed the first audio log, because the "press triangle to listen" was not triggered. I couldn't return to it, after listening to the next one, because it was behind the metal door, which is closed after going through it.
Can I go back later?
Is there a trophy for every audio log?
Hope i did not fucked up and can not get every audio log anymore.

You can access all of it later, no worries

ClearData

Set your hud to dynamic and it disappears and only reappers to give you damage, health, do notification. Then disappears again.

____

I was banned for a flippant comment about Guerilla when I first heard the concept of this game and how much Sony was going to pour into it.

Well deserved banning. I was so wrong. Guerilla have more than delivered, this game is simply fucking outstanding. I have never enjoyed a videogame story as much as this. Everything about this game is fucking insane.

You glorious Dutch bastards.

Haha, these kind of comments are pretty cool. When crow is this delicious, it's a win/win.

nOoblet16

There aren't enough big robots in main quest. They reuse the some multiple times while they use some only once. One of the big ones infact from near the end of the game you don't even have to fight since you can sneak past it like the other robots before in the same level and you are better of doing that.

Jobbs

Banned
I'm enjoying the game but the human combat is super janky -- "janky" doesn't even begin to describe it... Especially melee combat vs. humans. It's almost like they didn't even try. Not sure how that went so wrong

valkyre

Can someone help me withthese 2?

A) is it possible to advance the time in this game (like rest or something)?

B) I cannot find any weapons better than the starting ones. All merchants sell the same stuff. I still use my main starting bow and i am level 15... what am i doing wrong?

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
Make sure you activate the quest, if you don't it won't register as completing it. It's annoying, should be automatic.

yeaaaaaah that was super annoying to me too.

Also, the beasts were surprisingly smart. I tried setting a tripcaster and they refuse to charge me through the wire :(

B) I cannot find any weapons better than the starting ones. All merchants sell the same stuff. I still use my main starting bow and i am level 15... what am i doing wrong?

A) I don't think so, but you can freely for photo mode.

B) Leave the damn Hinterlands :p

Jinroh

Damn this game is beautiful and plays well. I'm mainly a PC gamer but soon after I started it on my ps4 pro my jaw was on the floor.

nOoblet16

You need to go out of the starting area so that you find better merchants. Better equipments also lets you use different ammo types, you won't find one bow which has access to all ammo and infact you'd need multiple bows if you want to be able to use any ammo you want. The best weapons cost 700-1000 shards...Same for armour.

Also you need the hunter bow for heavy arrows which can OHK humans on headshot and once you get heavy arrows you should stop using normal arrows.

Eklesp

For those that finished Cauldron Sigma, what level were you at?
I am level 9 and have not purchased anything additional. Feeling way weak even when using
shock traps and trips

Sitting at work, not working, can't wait to get home and play this game. Been a while since i've had this feeling.

This is me. Not off til 4 and UPS screwed me over last night by not delivering on Tuesday like they were supposed to.

So now just sitting here, doing nothing. Time is dragging!

JJShadow

Are you guys playing with aim assist on or off? I've tried both, if I turn it on it's incredibly easy to hit weak points, whereas without it I'm failing all my shots lol

So you manage to take control of a machine, make it a mount and it's this really cool moment where all of a sudden the world opens up. Then you ride past fellow braves on it and no one gives a fuck.

They couldn't record a handful of voice lines for that first sighting from the NPCs? The disconnect there felt really weird. Considering how polished the game is in most areas it makes stuff like that all the more bizarre.

Hmm weird in one of the playthroughs I saw during the previews, the person you speak to mentions it. I believe it had different dialog if you come through the gate with it or if you get off the mount before you walk through and then come through

Dinda

Loving the game. I'm still in the first area and really looking forward to it opening up.

But i just lost like half an hour of playtime because i got stuck on a creature i killed with melee. No way to free myself. If i could at least try to save the game and reload (which sometimes helps in other games) but yeah....

Are you guys playing with aim assist on or off? I've tried both, if I turn it on it's incredibly easy to hit weak points, whereas without it I'm failing all my shots lol

In particular it could at least transition smoother. I've had instances where it will go from rain to sun to rain all in a few seconds. Even when it doesn't randomly yoyo it's still very immediate and jarring. It would be nice if the lens flare as the sun or moon dips behind a mountain were a bit smoother too.

This is me being ultra nitpicky though. Even the shadows are rendered at a good rate compared to numerous open world games. The only thing I've seen rendering below the overall fps yet was a fire breathers torch.

tmac456

finally taking a break today. over 11 hours of play and at 21% level 18 i believe. this game is easily 9/10 probably more in the range of 9.5 for me. I never sink this much time into a game this quickly.

bought a new outfit/armor and another bow that has the tear arrows. need to eat an actual meal before i dive back into this tonight

Zakalwe

Banned
While I do like the story overall, the writing is a little too hammy/overly earnest at times for my tastes, and some of the dialogue's pretty corny. I'll admit, coming from Yakuza 0 to this is a little jarring (60fps and the tone in general).

Still, Aloy is a great character and the game itself is very good. It's not really wowing me like some here as it does have a very familiar open world feel to it which I'm, kind of exhausted with, but so far it definitely deserves the high praise. The various systems and mechanics are all top tier. I think y0 just feels so much more inventive which is dampening the effect of this a little.

Looks a little blurry in motion on OG ps4m but it's still gorgeous.

I think Y0 us still standing as my GOTY so far, with RE7 and this a joint second currently. We'll see how it pans out.

Played up until the night before the proving. Fantastic introduction imo, if bland in terms of the actual objectives.

Probly won't be able to play again now until the weekend 😣

Truant

The opening hours of this game makes it feel like I'm in for this huge sprawling adventure. I hope there's a lot more after the Provening or whatever it's called.

My only gripe so far is that it's kinda hard to compare weapons. Should I be buying new bows?

carlsojo

I actually enjoy the human combat and clearing bandit camps. It's a nice change of pace to fight things that are so squishy lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom