• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon Zero Dawn |OT| The Land After Time

Status
Not open for further replies.

Unknown?

This has passed up Zelda on the best selling video games of the year! That's just the one sku not to mention the collectors edition. Pretty successful if you ask me!

Oxn

Man the game is just getting better and deeper the more i play, and im just over 6hours in.

Sadly i can only play about an hour per week day.

This has passed up Zelda on the best selling video games of the year! That's just the one sku not to mention the collectors edition. Pretty successful if you ask me!

Where are you seeing sales number.

Dinjooh

Played a good 4-5 hours and wanted to take a break from it now.

I fucking love the gameplay. Like. Feels really tight and the bow combat just works.

The story so far is .. I want to like it but it just seems odd quite often. Also wasn't really a fan of the whole as a kid intro. Much prefer her adult version.

Other than that; really really solid so far, just hope that I will start to care more about the story.

DrBo42

Hmm weird in one of the playthroughs I saw during the previews, the person you speak to mentions it. I believe it had different dialog if you come through the gate with it or if you get off the mount before you walk through and then come through

I rode it through the gate and was no longer mounted in the cutscene. No dialogue mention of it.

Ferr986

Ok, done for today. Just killed the Sab
ertooth
robo.

That was easier than expected. Setup a trap, make him fall and burn his container with fire arrows, that dealt like 70% or so of his HP, rest I just roll and melee DS style.

Roll is really good here.

xCobalt

When you override a machine that's used as a mount, does it last forever? I saw an ability that you can unlock for longer duration but it seems to be for combat machines only.

This game is really good like I was really waiting for Zelda but now I dont want to put this down

You know what the great thing is?

You'll have a blast with this game, and then you'll likely have a blast with Zelda. We're quite lucky to get these two games so close together.

Well, not me since I won't get a Switch for a while. But if Odyssey comes out this year and delivers, I MIGHT bite.

Just put the game down for bed. Must have been four hours, haven't done a great deal, just tried the first
saw tooth fight
and died a lot, on hard.

It's been a slow start, young Aloy was a bit of a pain, and I don't think anything about the game suits exploring corridors. But it's an RPG, it's allowed to have a slow start, and everything has been engaging and high quality enough to make the promise of more and better a truly alluring one.

The lighting can make absurdly beautiful scenes sometimes, my favourite has been approaching a grassy bank with the sun ahead. I love that at any point you could just goof off and wander around, gazing at the scenery, and be amazed.

I do feel like a klutz in combat at the moment, but turning that around is surely an important part of the fun. Anyway it's early early days, but a compelling experience so far, looking forward to more tomorrow.

By the way could somebody give me some tips on using the rope caster? I'm not getting the use I expected from it. For instance I expected it to hurt the weaponry of the bot that
controls others
since its weak to tear but it did either nothing or was too hard to get enough shots on. It didn't stay down for very long at all either when I downed it and the bolts did very little as well.

Do I just need better gear or should it drain my mats this much to fight?

Ricker

By the way could somebody give me some tips on using the rope caster? I'm not getting the use I expected from it. For instance I expected it to hurt the weaponry of the bot that
controls others
since its weak to tear but it did either nothing or was too hard to get enough shots on. It didn't stay down for very long at all either when I downed it and the bolts did very little as well.

Did you try the level 8 tutorial quest...? this should help,you can do the same with the Tripcaster.(it also gives about 1500 exp)

Alucrid

Banned
controls others

ropecaster just ties down enemies. you won't be ripping stuff off with it. tie it down then fire on the parts you want with another weapon.

controls others

It's just meant to immobilize enemies. It's actually quite useful since most machines leap around likeach crazy.

Arondight

Loving the game so far. Combat is brilliant, visuals are absolutely amazing probably the best I've ever seen for an open world. The combination of weather/day/night cycles and the huge distances seen to the point you can see tallnecks moving is pretty astounding while also maintaining a very strong art direction. The only major visual issue I see with the game is probably the water effects.

Cauldron Rho was my first and it was pretty difficult. It felt terrible that they decided to add the Sawtooth along with the Snapmaw that I eventually got sick of it and planted a total of 15 different traps before I deactivated the field.

The most amazing thing thing I feel is how alive the game feels though and the constant three-way battles which get hilarious or frustrating depending on which side is getting stomped.

I do kind of wish that activating crafting quests did a bit more. They're mostly menial tasks so could of been nice if it were easier to track down animals rather than wondering around aimlessly.

I do hope GG explore platforming a bit more. More precision, less automation more places to climb around with less designated spots, I kind of like the areas with ropes around but wish they could expand on that much more with larger areas with more climbing, ropes, around to tackle situations.

I feel that shooting on a rope, grabbing enemies on from a ledge should really be part of the core mechanics rather than a bonus skill set because it really adds a lot to what you can do.

I encountered a giant machine and I can barely make a dent. Had to run away LOL

Did something similar. Saw four tramplers, decided to see if I could take one down. Didn't work out and got chased by all four.

So far, it looks to be one of my top favorite games this generation which is surprising given how utterly terrible Killzone SF was and how I usually don't like open world games much anymore.

TheMan

Damn, Zelda coming Friday and I've got work backed up, but I'm close to saying fuck it and picking this up today. I need more self restraint.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
ggme6npn8viy.jpg

MRW I'm outcast from the tribe and nobody will tell me why

totally going to replace the Arthur's Fist meme

sneas78

Banned
I took a side quest for a guy who injured his foot ..looking his daughter .. she says " I'm stuck up here" I hear her but I have no idea where she is stuck.. been looking for 30 minutes .. drives me nuts.

I took a side quest for a guy who injured his foot ..looking his daughter .. she says " I'm stuck up here" I hear her but I have no idea where she is stuck.. been looking for 30 minutes .. drives me nuts.
She should be above you in the area where she is calling you. A few Watchers should be circling below her.

The Map is 3D, I never knew this was the case. How come no previews mentioned this and how well it's done and determining depth.
Digital Foundry mentioned it.

I've just started it
well, I've finished the kid Aloy section and reached my first campfire
, and I was wondering if there was anyway to cancel firing the bow once I draw the string aside from rolling?

Just fought three
Fire Bellow Backs
at the same time. So intense!

I think this game hits the right balance for approaching a fight. I thought the Witcher was a bit too much with looking up the opponent, making the potion, putting it on your blade, etc. but I do like the idea of preparing for a fight unlike something like Skyrim where everything just gets hacked to death. This is just using different elements to your advantage, targeting weak spots, getting the kill. It's super rewarding and doesn't slow down the action at all, it's SO fun.

The game is incredible. Watching two Sawtooths fight eachother is so cool. That's some next gen shit.

I can't believe Guerilla actually did it. The highest of props to them.

broony

Anyone getting an issue with highlighting enemy paths? I'm using focus and then r1 to select to highlight track but nothing appears. It worked in the first tutorial and once again briefly but other than that nothing shows.

MaKTaiL

Anyone getting an issue with highlighting enemy paths? I'm using focus and then r1 to select to highlight track but nothing appears. It worked in the first tutorial and once again briefly but other than that nothing shows.

You need to be closer to the path to see it.

Ricker

What's this touchpad thing where the map appears for 5 seconds I read earlier...I tried this after reading this and it does nothing...you need to swap slightly in one direction or something...?

TMC

I can't decide if I should play this or Zelda first. I don't really like the idea of playing both simultaneously. Anyone else in this boat?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom