• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon Zero Dawn |OT| The Land After Time

Status
Not open for further replies.

TMC

Yeah I'm probably playing Zelda first because I have a feeling Horizon will be much better. It at least won't be a huge graphics downgrade.

I kind of hope one of these games was released in June, so much for spring when I'm busy with university and nothing for summer.

Since Amazon has screwed up shipping my Wii U copy of Zelda, the choice was made for me.

I'd still have played and finished this first.

It would be if a switch was easy to obtain. But if i have to go hunting for one i rather play horizon instead.

Thanks guys. It was a tough decision, but Drewton does make some good points. I think I will play Zelda first. Can't wait to play both though.

Wagram

I hope there's a map that points out the general location of the data point collectables. It's fun to explore in Horizon and see the sights, but it's mostly beaten down ruins with nothing inside. That is a serious time waster.

tmac456

I hope there's a map that points out the general location of the data point collectables. It's fun to explore in Horizon and see the sights, but it's mostly beaten down ruins with nothing inside. That is a serious time waster.

there are maps sold by vendors for the different collectibles.

The first real Sawtooth fight by the first Tallneck on very hard...

HOLY SHIT

That was intense. I died a few times due to poor planning and the Sawtooth just leaping over my traps.

This fucking game man.

valkyre

You need to go out of the starting area so that you find better merchants. Better equipments also lets you use different ammo types, you won't find one bow which has access to all ammo and infact you'd need multiple bows if you want to be able to use any ammo you want. The best weapons cost 700-1000 shards...Same for armour.

Also you need the hunter bow for heavy arrows which can OHK humans on headshot and once you get heavy arrows you should stop using normal arrows.

I am confused as to what is considered "starting area" i would assume that I have long passed this , since I am well off the starting gates. I am actually atm in the location that has been demoed in a conference.

And still i cant find another weapon other than the ones i have been seeing all this time. The same carja hunter bow is for sale the same slingshots ... how far into the game must i be?

Also do weapon change looks at all? Cause the same slingshot pic appears for either green blue and purple versions. Does the in game model change?

nOoblet16

Thunderjaw is by far the best robot to fight against because:

1) It has a LOT of abilities, unlike that Rhinobot for example who just charges at you or throws rocks at you.
2) It can move and shoot both unlike other robots who can't shoot if they move fast or they can't move fast if they shoot.
3) It's big and always visible unlike shit such as Rockbreaker who is just annoying to fight.
4) All the abilities such as ropes, traps, tear, fire work against it unlike Rockbreaker again who doesn't really seem to get affected that much by ropes.
5) You can use its weapons, unlike a lot of other robots. Some robots like Death ringer drop weapons too but most don't.

So yea Thunderjaw is the most fun to fight because of just how many ways you can approach him. I guess that's why they showed him in early showings of this game.

Wagram

I've been in dire need of Metal Wire for a long time. I can spend a ton at the vendor and buy some of course, but they teach you not to waste ammo.

FeD.nL

Just finished the main quest. What a well paced, interesting and great sci-fi story. Was going in expecting a servicable story but they really made it a cohesive thing that ties everything together. And at the same time tackles some really interesting themes.

Now to dive in all the side quests/coudrons etc.

Really? Because at this point being the outcast everyone hates in a game is about as interesting as Bowser captured Peach go find her.

I mean just playing this game is fun as hell but unless they open that door and it's Kojima welcoming me into Death Stranding I'm just not feeling the story.

It was more written from the perspective of Aloy herself... but ok

Felt like forever for today to arrive lol but God damn was it worth the wait, I mean wow this game is just awesome and looks amazing in 4k with HDR.

Gonna be a tough choice as to which game I want to play more of first because Zelda is awesome too, I think I need a month off work lol

Hit the
fire bellowback
with 2 frost bombs from the Carja Sling to freeze it, and the hammer the big dorsal sack and the gullet with precision arrows from the Carja Sharpshot bow until they explode. Double/Triple shot and Concentration are must haves. You might need to reapply frost as well.

The real hard part is doing all of that while also dodging a half dozen Watchers and getting blinded by them.

One thing that I really like about this game is that meeting new machines is an exercise in frantically backpedaling and rolling to avoid being killed and break contact. I pulled the Shellwalker pack by Cauldron Sigma and almost died as I spent 15 minutes running around trying to evade them and accidentally pulled some RedEye Watchers into the fight. (For Shellwalkers: Sonic/Terrorblast Arrow to knock off the claws and then hammer it with fire arrows from range).

I didnt even have a sling when I went in there.

But I found tripcaster wire works great agaist it. The fight went from: there is no way I can beat this now, to: damn, this is easy.

My only class tomorrow was just canceled so it looks like I'll be spending a large portion of this evening/early morning tomorrow playing the game.

I've dabbled with a few sidequests but for the most part, I've dedicated my time to exploring and occasionally dipping into the main storylines. I'm not one to usually sit down and partake in prolonged sessions but Horizon has already sapped at least 16 hours from me this week. As of late, I've been the on lagging behind everyone else in OTs that I lurk so it's odd to be so much further than the masses here.

Spent a solid hour farming for a rare material in order to unlock a different outfit for Aloy. Her Deluxe Edition blue outfit was atrocious and was ruining some of the story beats due to its garishness.

I didnt even have a sling when I went in there.

But I found tripcaster wire works great agaist it. The fight went from: there is no way I can beat this now, to: damn, this is easy.
Shock traps and tripwires worked wonderfully in that fight. Just have to dodge and then get into position when it charges

Ok, fighting bandits for me feels like fighting the hooded street thugs in Division: headshots are like water ballons against these dudes, and they like 10 levels lower than me.

VanWinkle

Come ask in the Y0 OT so we don't derail here.

Y0 is like a theme park of arcade mechanics, it's ridiculous and it revels in it in the best way. It's hugely varied, too. Everyone should be playing both of these games, imo.

Hmm that's cool. I always assumed it was just a simple silly open world brawler. I will look more into it!

How liberally should I apply mods to weapons and gear? I'm still early in the game, but I was wondering if I should hold off on those until I can optimize stuff, or if I should just keep slapping new mods on as the situation calls for

MaKTaiL

Just finished the main quest. What a well paced, interesting and great sci-fi story. Was going in expecting a servicable story but they really made it a cohesive thing that ties everything together. And at the same time tackles some really interesting themes.

Now to dive in all the side quests/coudrons etc.

Does it tie everything together or does it leave things for a possible sequel? Or both (concludes Aloy story but creates a huge universe to explore on possible sequels)?

VanWinkle

Shock traps and tripwires worked wonderfully in that fight. Just have to dodge and then get into position when it charges

How are you enjoying the game, man? I know you were hyped about it too. I hope it's living up to your expectations. I know it is for me.

Does it tie everything together or does it leave things for a possible sequel? Or both (concludes Aloy story but creates a huge universe to explore on possible sequels)?

I kind of don't want to know the answer to this until I beat the game. But it's something I'm VERY curious about.

Ok, fighting bandits for me feels like fighting the hooded street thugs in Division: headshots are like water ballons against these dudes, and they like 10 levels lower than me.

Burn them, bomb them, trap them. Shock works super well for the guys who charge, allowing you to go in for a melee finish. And don't forget about using your focus ability. Mix that with the rapid fire bolt gun and you'll get some serious damage.

witness

Yeah I can barely discern the difference in suoersampled mode vs performance mode on 1080p. My wife couldn't tell either. I'm just very surprised by this considering how dramatic the effect is in Rise of the Tomb Raider.

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
Working on Nioh, have Yakuza ready to go, and I have yet to finish Witcher 3. The fact I have yet to finish Witcher 3 gives me pause regarding Horizon because of their reported similarities. The only open world game I ever finished was Skyrim. Where does Horizon fit in all of these open-world games? I am drawn to this because of the pedigree of the developers from a technical standpoint and because there is a strong female protagonist (love both of the recent Tomb Raiders).

Yeah I can barely discern the difference in suoersampled mode vs performance mode on 1080p. My wife couldn't tell either. I'm just very surprised by this considering how dramatic the effect is in Rise of the Tomb Raider.

Yea, it's not a good mode. And the fact that the base game looks so stunning doesn't help it.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
Oh God, I'm doing the intro now and the game is already throwing shitty stealth sections at me. Please tell me there's not a ton of stealth garbage in the game. If there is, I'm seriously considering selling it to Gamestop tomorrow.

rIsgmMK.gif

Google

Oh God, I'm doing the intro now and the game is already throwing shitty stealth sections at me. Please tell me there's not a ton of stealth garbage in the game. If there is, I'm seriously considering selling it to Gamestop tomorrow.

I mean, you can play the whole game as a shitty stealth section if you want...

You're a hunter with a spear and arrow against robot dinosaurs with missiles and laser cannons. You hide in tall grass a lot.

hydruxo

It's all in how you want to play it. That particular sequence is definitely stealth oriented but you can play however you want.

ValfarHL

How liberally should I apply mods to weapons and gear? I'm still early in the game, but I was wondering if I should hold off on those until I can optimize stuff, or if I should just keep slapping new mods on as the situation calls for

Mod away. There is a skill which lets you remove and reuse mods. You can get it fairly early.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
You're a hunter with a spear and arrow against robot dinosaurs with missiles and laser cannons. You hide in tall grass a lot.

I was promised The Witcher 3. This is not The Witcher 3 :(

It's all in how you want to play it. That particular sequence is definitely stealth oriented but you can play however you want.

Good. I hate stealth games. Well, except MGS, but those I just play at easy and shoot everyone like a regular TPS anyway.

Burn them, bomb them, trap them. Shock works super well for the guys who charge, allowing you to go in for a melee finish. And don't forget about using your focus ability. Mix that with the rapid fire bolt gun and you'll get some serious damage.

... I feel like I shouldnt have attempted it, now - cause I dont think I have most of those things.

I attempted the level 25 camp for the focus read all the enemes at level 8-10. One my first try, I got all the bandits to rush the door, went around, freed the captives, got everyone BUT the last dude with the heavy machine.

2 shock bombs, 2 green bombs, 10 fire arrow.

Dude turns around and 2HKO, now I have to do it all over again.

Bombs and fire arrows dont do much damage to anything for me. If anything, only the precision spear does any real type of damage (regular arrows are okay against machines, at least). Some of these bandits take 5 headshots to kill.

Not sure if this has been asked in here, but has anyone had trouble with the audio? It seems to be all over the place on my 5.1 surround sound set up. Which is weird since I haven't had a problem with any recent game before this.

VanWinkle

Hunting is a big part of the game. Did you think it was just run and gun?

Google

Working on Nioh, have Yakuza ready to go, and I have yet to finish Witcher 3. The fact I have yet to finish Witcher 3 gives me pause regarding Horizon because of their reported similarities. The only open world game I ever finished was Skyrim. Where does Horizon fit in all of these open-world games? I am drawn to this because of the pedigree of the developers from a technical standpoint and because there is a strong female protagonist (love both of the recent Tomb Raiders).

I'm not sure The Witcher has much comparison outside of the fact that it's an open world game built in Europe.

Combat is very different. Story is very different. There's little-to-no platforming in The Witcher.

They're two vastly different games that have very little in common.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom