• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon Zero Dawn |OT| The Land After Time

Status
Not open for further replies.

Minordeth

Neo Member
Game is uh, pretty great. I turned the difficulty up without realizing how hard even low level machines would hit. The feeling that you can get straight murdered by a small gang of basic machines if you aren't careful is pretty thrilling. Especially when encountering... bigger things.

tmac456

wow.

just had that side quest tracking
Lakhir to that island. fought 4 snapmaws at once

first time fighting them. i think i said 'oh my fucking god' about 15 times throughout the battle.

ValfarHL

Game is uh, pretty great. I turned the difficulty up without realizing how hard even low level machines would hit. The feeling that you can get straight murdered by a small gang of basic machines if you aren't careful is pretty thrilling. Especially when encountering... bigger things.

I'm playing on hard, and every encounter is potentially deadly if I screw something up. I God damn love it.

The hunting lodge trials seem weird. You don't get the rewards of the lower tier successes. So it's better to go half sun, full sun, blazing sun if you want the experience and rewards.

VanWinkle

I was expecting something more like The Witcher 3 since that's what it's been compared to.

People saying it was TW3 with better combat.

It's structured like a Witcher 3 type of RPG, but the gameplay isn't the exact same by any means.

I don't know how completely skipping stealth would hold up further in the game, but it's a fairly important part of the gameplay. Why do you dislike it so much? I feel like it fits what you would do in this world as a hunter.

Drackhorn

Just been playing for the first two hours. It feels unreal how fluid the combat and the graphics are and still play an openworld rpg. The view distance is also amazing. What a game.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
it is. the combat is about 10x better than witcher 3

TW3 never really forced much, if any, stealth on me.

I don't know how completely skipping stealth would hold up further in the game, but it's a fairly important part of the gameplay. Why do you dislike it so much? I feel like it fits what you would do in this world as a hunter.

Stealth bores me. I have no patience for games that force you to sneak around.

Mik2121

I've skipped most trailers and I feel I'm going to spoil myself because I'm at one of the Horizon sessions at GDC right now. With so many people saying "this game!" and the actual game delivered home already, can't wait for GDC to be over, lol!

... I feel like I shouldnt have attempted it, now - cause I dont think I have most of those things.

I attempted the level 25 camp for the focus read all the enemes at level 8-10. One my first try, I got all the bandits to rush the door, went around, freed the captives, got everyone BUT the last dude with the heavy machine.

2 shock bombs, 2 green bombs, 10 fire arrow.

Dude turns around and 2HKO, now I have to do it all over again.

Bombs and fire arrows dont do much damage to anything for me. If anything, only the precision spear does any real type of damage (regular arrows are okay against machines, at least). Some of these bandits take 5 headshots to kill.

It's better to take them out with melee hits, and the best way to do that is by applying a debilitator to them. Shock or Cryo them from afar and then go in for the kill. Getting the damage increase perk also helps a lot.

It's better to take them out with melee hits, and the best way to do that is by applying a debilitator to them. Shock or Cryo them from afar and then go in for the kill. Getting the damage increase perk also helps a lot.

Thanks. While I have your attention how do I override more powerful machines?

xCobalt

For the collectable maps you buy from vendors, are there multiple maps for each collectable? Just got to meridian and there are some maps for sale but I bought a set previously before.

Exquisik

TW3 never really forced much, if any, stealth on me.

Stealth bores me. I have no patience for games that force you to sneak around.

If that's the case, then I honestly don't think this game is for you. I was going to recommend you setting up traps before running in and killing the mobs, but that would require sneaking around to set up traps. You don't need to sneak around and can basically just run and gun, but expect to die a lot later on. Also, from my playthrough thus far, this game combat is more focused on the range than melee and some mobs are difficult to defeat with just melee combat.

I find the mounts mostly annoying tbh :p

I don't find it annoying, but I tend to run around more than using the mount. I just love exploring every nook and cranny of the world, and I can't do that with the mount.

Basketball

I have always noticed a sign of a good game with combat

is one where you want to encounter an enemy

this is a good game.

one other cool part of the game is looking at the mountain in the distance .. thinking wow it probably just some back drop you can't reach then 5/10 minutes later .. holy shit im on top of the mountain. Skyrim climbing ftw

RedHill

Banned
Is anyone else really bad at this game? During the bigger fights I find myself just spamming the same shit over and over while trying to evade. Aloy's recovery time when getting hit by a machine pretty much welcomes another immediate hit too.

Zakalwe

Banned
People are dumb.

Like I said on the previous page it's nothing like The Witcher.

It's an RPG that leans more toward action but shares a lot of similar systems and mechanics with TW3. You're being silly if you think there isn't value in a comparison.

Holy shit. I thought the story was alright, but everything after the Proving is incredible. How is this game so good?

"That's not a goddess, that's a door!"
I love Aloy lol

Is anyone else really bad at this game? During the bigger fights I find myself just spamming the same shit over and over while trying to evade. Aloy's recovery time when getting hit by a machine pretty much welcomes another immediate hit too.
Yeah, I feel like I missed some tutorial with the combat.

When some part of a creature is weak to say electricity, does that mean I want to hit that spot enough to fill the lightning bolt or what? I always get mixed results.

Skeletron

I'm only a few hours in but the story premise reminds me a bit of Nausicaa. Female protaganist set in a
distant future after a technological collapse
, environmental themes, etc.

FeD.nL

Does it tie everything together or does it leave things for a possible sequel? Or both (concludes Aloy story but creates a huge universe to explore on possible sequels)?

I'll do different tags, so you decide what you want to know.

Mild ending spoilers:

Aloy gets a nice ending, it does come with a stinger that opens up the story for sequels, though they don't have to include Aloy for that. Her story is pretty much wrapped

MAJOR ending spoilers:

Basically the stinger is Sylens "capturing" Hades and wanting to know where the signal came from that set the events of this game in motion while they are heading towards a dormant titan. Aloy finds Elisabet's body on her family range, while a data file is playing with a conversation between elisabet and Gaia.

Sequel speculation, includes MAJOR spoilers:

What I think is that the Odyssey made it and Far Zenith succesfully started a colony somewhere on a distant planet. They could even make a sequel that shows life there while also explaining why they send the signal. The Odyssey was also carrying a build of Apollo so that way they could introduce the knowledge of the human race back into this world.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
If that's the case, then I honestly don't think this game is for you. I was going to recommend you setting up traps before running in and killing the mobs, but that would require sneaking around to set up traps. You don't need to sneak around and can basically just run and gun, but expect to die a lot later on. Also, from my playthrough thus far, this game combat is more focused on the range than melee and some mobs are difficult to defeat with just melee combat.

I've set the game to easy and I'll give it some more time. But I expected it to be more like TW3 where you're an unstoppable killing machine that slaughters everything in your path. I might end up selling the game again, but if so I'll just put the money towards Nier 2 (which also won't be as good as TW3).

when you think about it, almost every game is not the Witcher 3.

That's why almost every game is not as good as The Witcher 3.

I think the last time I ran from something screaming was bloodborne. I had been slaying watchers and striders, and thought the sawtooth can easily be taken down by a headshot.... NOT!

That mofo chased me around for like 10 minutes, on my ass! Then I rolled into a tree and It looked like Aloy got hit by a semi..

I had to cut it off at that point. Amazing freaking game man.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
Man I'm loving this game! Still early, just finished the proving and taking a break for dinner. Can't wait to play more. Just blown away by the story and characters, loving the combat and easily the best looking game I've ever played.

Exquisik

Holy shit. I thought the story was alright, but everything after the Proving is incredible. How is this game so good?

"That's not a goddess, that's a door!"
I love Aloy lol

My favorite quote of the game thus far is this one.

Bast: You'll be the one surprised tomorrow, outcast. Not me.
Aloy: Oh, are you going to shut your mouth? Because that would be a surprise.

I laughed so hard.

Exquisik

Quoting myself cause I don't think anyone answered.

If you can override a strider, that means you can also override watcher, tallneck, charger, and broadneck. But if you would like to override other robots, then you will need to complete other cauldrons. There are five cauldrons total counting the first one, PSI, Sigma, RHO, XI and Zeta.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom