• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon Zero Dawn |OT| The Land After Time

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've had the thrill of watching my S.O. play through the story after I finished my review. Re-living it through her has been tremendous; I still get chills during those story beats.

From what I'm seeing, spoiler-internet is really bad for this game. Guys: stay off YouTube. Don't look up things about the world. Don't look up tips. Just play. You owe it to yourself.

No I definitely bought it. Got the theme, see it purchased.

It was this. I figured this out about 30 min ago and rolled back.

Interestingly, I wonder if Beta FW prohibits certain updates to games? Because I just got like 15 game updates auto downloading. Battlefield, Headlander, Warframe. Then again, maybe rolling back just reset the "recently played" clock and forced everything to update. Who knows.

I had the same problem where the game failed to preload. I bought it, but the preload never started, and I couldn't find a download button anywhere. When I went to the PSN Store on my phone, my Download Queue said "1 Match" but there weren't any games shown in the queue, which was really weird. I ended up clicking Download to PS4 from my phone and it worked, showing "1-2 of 2 matches" but only 1 game listed in the queue, which was the one that was working. Unfortunately, after the download completed, my Download Queue still shows "1 Match" but the list of games that match is still empty. I hope that doesn't mess anything up in the future. I never could find a way to download it from the console. I am on Beta firmware as well.

Picking between asthetics and functionality of armor is always difficult for me.

Is the pre-order/deluxe stuff in game and you just get it earlier or is it actually exclusive?

vivekTO

fdbeb508_o.png

Something I'm really enjoying so far is the story. The level of escalation at the point I'm in the game has kept me very interested in the story. I also really like Aloy; her sarcastic and witty remarks kill me.

DZ_b_EZ

Preordered that GAME exclusive Limited Edition from Europe. Hopefully they actually ship it. It still fucking says unshipped 😤😤😭

I may grab the strategy guide just for the hell of it.

I've had the thrill of watching my S.O. play through the story after I finished my review. Re-living it through her has been tremendous; I still get chills during those story beats.

From what I'm seeing, spoiler-internet is really bad for this game. Guys: stay off YouTube. Don't look up things about the world. Don't look up tips. Just play. You owe it to yourself.

This cannot be stated enough, figuring out things on your own is one of the greatest joys in this game.

Tovarisc

Maybe Dan and Cohh can't play TPS games very well, but at least early on combat looks just as basic as I though it would be. World and narrative will carry this game and that isn't bad thing, beginning opens so many interesting questions.

Edit: Also crafting is basically from Tomb Raider reboots. Basic, but gets job done.

Are you playing the game? I've seen the comparisons, but to be honest with you I haven't thought of Far Cry once throughout my 15 hours of playtime, especially when it comes to the world.

Everything I have seen screams Far Cry Primal Future. I loved Far Cry 3, loved Blood Dragon, burnt out halfway through 4, and never purchased Primal, so I'm taking a chance with this new IP here.

LoveCake

Also crafting is basically from Tomb Raider reboots. Basic, but gets job done.

This is fine for me, I hate it when it gets way too complicated and it ends up being a chore to get a single particular part to make something that isn't ultra special.

Is there any news on DLC items, weapons and clothing yet, as I have not seen anything.

Everything I have seen screams Far Cry Primal Future. I loved Far Cry 3, loved Blood Dragon, burnt out halfway through 4, and never purchased Primal, so I'm taking a chance with this new IP here.

Some menus look similar, but the gameplay is nowhere near that, neither is the world. Calling it Far Cry Primal Future is doing a huge disservice to this game. When you guys get your hands on it, you'll see. You shouldn't have to worry about the burn out from those games with this one.

X-Frame

I mean I may go to bed really early tonight so that I can play for an hour or so before work tomorrow.

I haven't done that in a long long time. Thank you GG!

16 hours in and I just now notice / realize that the machines can totally destroy trees that get in their way while fighting. Amazing. I'd have thought for such visuals the environments would be super static but nope.

Some menus look similar, but the gameplay is nowhere near that, neither is the world. Calling it Far Cry Primal Future is doing a huge disservice to this game. When you guys get your hands on it, you'll see. You shouldn't have to worry about the burn out from those games with this one.

Ok that is good to hear. I can't wait to get started tonight.

tdrdrgn

I haven't played recent far crys but after 12 hours this game reminds me more of tomb raider with a mix of red dead/witcher( or any other open world game) more than anything else. 3rd person+scavenging+bow+light platforming+crafting, all scream tomb raider to me.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
Amazon hasn't shipped my copy yet ��
Ugh. Had to go Amazon route as well months back cause I wanted to use my discounts/giftcards and luckily I got the shipping email this morning. It'll be here tomorrow night most likely though since they always do that shit. Hope yours gets shipped soon as well man.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Ugh. Had to go Amazon route as well months back cause I wanted to use my discounts/giftcards and luckily I got the shipping email this morning. It'll be here tomorrow night most likely though since they always do that shit. Hope yours gets shipped soon as well man.
I've had this happen before. They usually get it on time. Just a bit nervous since they missed the RE7 date (although I wound up getting multiple copies a few days later for some odd reason).

Amazon just sent me a notification that it shipped my order! It's coming via USPS, they deliver no later than noon at my residence so I'm happy as a pig in shit.

Screw Amazon!!!!

I had to update the CC on file and I did as soon as I got the email, they automatically pushed my shipment back to Thursday!!

Now I can't find the collectors edition anywhere... I called in and they said they couldn't get it to me any sooner cuz its already in shipping status, I preordered in June!!!

This is so b/s! I just want the metal cover for all my special games. Think I'm just gonna say screw it and go digital. What a way to ruin my day

Stiler

Wait, so the camera is locked to the left shoulder side? No way to alter it to the right? This is like a super basic thing that almost any over-the-shoulder camera game has....

I vastly prefer using it on the right side (since I'm right handed).

Really hope that's something they can patch in.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
Wait until you're hiding behind a huge rock and think your safe haha.
Does this game have a lot of sexy physics in terms of destructible environments/objects? Can I break stuff I come across and if yes, does it feel satisfying to break stuff in this game? lol

I've had this happen before. They usually get it on time. Just a bit nervous since they missed the RE7 date (although I wound up getting multiple copies a few days later for some odd reason).
I see. Nioh was and I think still is a shit show on Amazon in terms of getting it out there. Although KT & SIE might share blame as well since they under shipped it.

ajanke

16 hours in and I just now notice / realize that the machines can totally destroy trees that get in their way while fighting. Amazing. I'd have thought for such visuals the environments would be super static but nope.

They do that with big ass boulders and rocks too. I tried hiding behind one...ONCE

Man, the first real challenging fight is tough! I'm only level 5, but that enemy really forces you to pay attention to combat mechanics. I love the combat so far, the world is gorgeous of course, and surprisingly the story is quite engaging, something that GG usually struggles with. I appreciate the fact that Aloy isn't depicted as some supermodel wearing cave girl loincloth; she seems grounded and realistic, with sensible motivations behind her actions. Highly impressed so far!

tdrdrgn

Maybe Dan and Cohh can't play TPS games very well, but at least early on combat looks just as basic as I though it would be. World and narrative will carry this game and that isn't bad thing, beginning opens so many interesting questions.

Edit: Also crafting is basically from Tomb Raider reboots. Basic, but gets job done.

The game doesn't let you change camera sensitivity or aiming sensitivity which is surprising considering its a 3rd person shooter. i'm doing fine as the controls are very responsive but my brother is struggling trying to land precise shots. What happens more often than not is he'll spend more time meleeing than shooting during encounters. Still, he's enjoying the game more than me even though i'm telling him hes playing the game wrong lol.

Tovarisc

Wait, so the camera is locked to the left shoulder side? No way to alter it to the right? This is like a super basic thing that almost any over-the-shoulder camera game has....

I vastly prefer using it on the right side (since I'm right handed).

Really hope that's something they can patch in.

Basic option every 3rd person game has? Since when? Also it isn't locked over left shoulder. Not sure what "rules" are, but at least during scanning and using bow it goes over right shoulder. Then at times seems like centered and in other places over left shoulder slightly.

Does this game have a lot of sexy physics in terms of destructible environments/objects? Can I break stuff I come across and if yes, does it feel satisfying to break stuff in this game? lol

Can't remember if I've broken stuff myself, but I know I've knocked things over. As far as destructible environments are concerned, when you get into battles with enemies that look like they could break stuff, they can break stuff. Trees, boulders, barrels, small houses things like that are all fair game during battles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom