• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon Zero Dawn |OT| The Land After Time

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tecnniqe

Banned
Fair enough. I was just curious as to which open world RPG looks as good as Horizon on the PC but never mind.

The closest you are getting with the same setting will be The Witcher for a open world RPG game.

The Witcher in my opinion does outshine Horizon even with downgrades and maintain a higher frame rate, bare in mind also higher system settings by default. It's impressive for the current console generation, no doubt, but more visually impressive? Neeh.

After all its the same old same old argument and nobody will agree.

Look we have shiny!
But we have shiny too!

Does the engine work outside the PSOS? Anyone knows?

Not considering 2014 indie game have this
ethan_carter_rocky_path.gif

but there is no way a console beat PC visually, ever.

For the hardware its impressive, sure, but lets not get ahead of ourselves.
Hey can you post a gif of that 2014 indie game with its robot dinosaur combat included?

-Amon-

Preloaded and ready to go.

I've succeeded in going in completely unspoiled, hope my expectections will be met.

I'm a big fan of guerrilla's work.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
Hey can you post a gif of that 2014 indie game with its robot dinosaur combat included?
Or an actually modelled main character
Lol for real but let's not digress. This game is easily a technical marvel and achievement in today's video game market if the DF videos and reviews are anything to go by. Just look at it in motion on a Pro. Just jaw dropping at times.

AtkO

Not considering 2014 indie game have this
ethan_carter_rocky_path.gif

but there is no way a console beat PC visually, ever.

For the hardware its impressive, sure, but lets not get ahead of ourselves.

It has nothing besides the beautiful graphics, not a single thing is moving on those trees, that grass is moving in the same way, the whole patch of grass. There's very little interaction with the wind in that game. You can't compare HZD to whatever this is. Come on now...

Tovarisc

Just realized that EU release date is weirdly 1st, Wednesday. Kinda nice considering it's earlier than Friday, but still frustrating that can't get copies tomorrow.

Edit: Kinda amazing how few have seen maxed out TW3 on PC. Horizon looks nice, but TW3 still looks fucking amazing too.

Strakt

im a pc fanboy.. but god damn horizon looks stunning on the pro in 4k.. best looking console game hands down while running at a playable frame rate

so how's hard mode? and can you switch after you start?

Yeah, you can switch. Not a perfect answer, but I found Normal to be legitimately challenging (at times, frustrating and hard) front to back. Really great balance, kind of a rarity today.

I'm going to start a Very Hard playthrough specifically looking for a Soulsborne experience.

shingi70

Banned
Gah the wait for a PS4 this summer is going to be boggling. Should be able to play a bt on my buddy's PS4.

Game is beautiful and the world.looks amazing with different animals in Different places.

Tyaren

Guys, that gif is from the Vanishing of Ethan Carter.
And it is indeed a very, very limited game. It's by the way also on PS4 and looks just as good as the PC version...

Just realized that EU release date is weirdly 1st, Wednesday. Kinda nice considering it's earlier than Friday, but still frustrating that can't get copies tomorrow.

Edit: Kinda amazing how few have seen maxed out TW3 on PC. Horizon looks nice, but TW3 still looks fucking amazing too.
Yeah, when I got it digitally I suddenly realised it was unlocking in just over a day. And as a night shift worker I'll be ready at 00:00 Wednesday for a nice long play through until my shift the following day.

Stiler

It has nothing besides the beautiful graphics, not a single thing is moving on those trees, that grass is moving in the same way, the whole patch of grass. There's very little interaction with the wind in that game. You can't compare HZD to whatever this is. Come on now...

It's the Vanishing of Ethan Carter, it uses photogrammetry, which imo is something that can drastically help any game, indie or a big AAA game. EA used it for Battlefront and Battlefield 1 and Kojima has said he's going to use it for Death Stranding.

It basically takes real-world objects, everything from trees/foliage to objects like weapons/furniture, etc and then you photograph them at multiple angles and use the software to make a 3d model of that object in game. Which allows for a higher quality model quicker then what an artist can do and often with a lot more detail (they usually scale it down so it's actually able to fit in the game and not be huge or too taxing).

Horizon has amazing graphics, certainly top tier for an open world game, especially its use of lighting, however photogrammetry could still have added to this, in terms of them using it to model the objects that they could have scanned for in-game models which would have given them more tiny details and things an artist simply wouldn't have thought about or had the time to spend on a single model to do that.

The closest you are getting with the same setting will be The Witcher for a open world RPG game.

The Witcher in my opinion does outshine Horizon even with downgrades and maintain a higher frame rate, bare in mind also higher system settings by default. It's impressive for the current console generation, no doubt, but more visually impressive? Neeh.

After all its the same old same old argument and nobody will agree.

I don't agree with you, I have seen The Witcher 3 maxed out on a gaming PC and it doesn't look as good as Horizon, especially on the PS4 Pro.

I'm not even questioning the frame-rate advantage, so I'm not sure why you brought that up.

Guys, that gif is from the Vanishing of Ethan Carter.
And it is indeed a very, very limited game. It's by the way also on PS4 and looks just as good as the PC version...

Yep. I really enjoyed the game and you're right, it does look similar on the PS4.

teaveee

Anyone preorder the game in store at Best Buy? I just got a email saying my order is read to pick up but I thought this was out Feb 28th. Is Best Buy letting peolle pick it up today ?

Same thing happened to me, they even called me to tell me it was available. Kind of hesitant to drive out there though since I doubt they'll give it to me.

Tyaren

It's the Vanishing of Ethan Carter, it uses photogrammetry, which imo is something that can drastically help any game, indie or a big AAA game. EA used it for Battlefront and Battlefield 1 and Kojima has said he's going to use it for Death Stranding.

It basically takes real-world objects, everything from trees/foliage to objects like weapons/furniture, etc and then you photograph them at multiple angles and use the software to make a 3d model of that object in game. Which allows for a higher quality model quicker then what an artist can do and often with a lot more detail (they usually scale it down so it's actually able to fit in the game and not be huge or too taxing).

Horizon has amazing graphics, certainly top tier for an open world game, especially its use of lighting, however photogrammetry could still have added to this, in terms of them using it to model the objects that they could have scanned for in-game models which would have given them more tiny details and things an artist simply wouldn't have thought about or had the time to spend on a single model to do that.

Photogrammetry looks always pretty generic realistic however. Horizon Zero Dawn isn't going for realism, it's stylized, a piece of art.
I am glad they didn't go for a super realistic look but instead for these exaggerated sceneries and brilliant colors.

Tecnniqe

Banned
dat draw distance 0o

Those images does not do the game justice.

WL is showing better draw distance quality and honestly, that texture in the first shot especially is horrible.
Code:
[IMG]https://c1.staticflickr.com/1/578/32554208522_a2c89452e1_o.png[/IMG]
They nailed the greens and foliage but rocks and those things seem very low quality in comparison.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom