• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon Zero Dawn |OT| The Land After Time

Status
Not open for further replies.

JJShadow

So I was just taking a quiet, paceful walk to the nearest camp on top of my Strider, enjoying the views and a beautiful sunset right in front of me WHEN SUDDENLY A FUCKING GIANT THUNDER BIRD CAME OUT OF NOWHERE AND KICKED MY ASS

Holy fuck, didn't expect to find my first Stormbird right there, it's insanely huge as well. Any tips to fight it? I've been thinking about removing that chest component and then tie him down and shoot those canisters on the back

shiba5

Breath of the Wild has taught me that every character looks cooler with a hood

give us a hooded costume to make up for most of the outfits looking wack GG

In the art book they talk about how much work went into getting her hair right. I doubt we will ever see a hood. LOL

sam777

Just finished the main story, pretty good game. I was way underlevelled for the last mission, starting it at level 27 but it didn't seem too difficult.

Razgreez

Holy fuck, didn't expect to find my first Stormbird right there, it's insanely huge as well. Any tips to fight it? I've been thinking about removing that chest component and then tie him down and shoot those canisters on the back

That's pretty much it but it's still quite tanky so you'll likely need to spam hardpoint arrows from short range or triple shot precision arrows from medium range to finish it off - damage mods help quite a bit

mileS

I also just went with fashion over practicality, didn't really run into much trouble doing so playing on hard and very hard either, the resistant potions were much better than any mod anyways.

I just hate all the helmets, loved pretty much everything else about them though.

*brofist* Gotta 'fashion souls' as they say now. When you get up to a higher level the purple mods make up for some of it.

Ok, just a question for all of you here. I bought a Nintendo Switch on the first day of release with Zelda, but returned it by the end of the day since I don't have enough time for gaming as I did before. However, I'm now kind of kicking myself. I don't feel like going out there hunting for Zelda and the Switch again.

For those who have both or just Horizon, is this game good enough to forget about Zelda for now?

Note, I don't want to start an argument, I'd just simply like to know what people think of the games and if Horizon is more than worth playing for a person who's thinking of Zelda right now.

Holy crap, 6.5 hours in I remembered that you can turn off the pathfinding/quest markers so that they only point to the finish and the game got like 100 times better instantly. The waypoint markers were just confusing at best and terribly broken at best.

That said I really do like the game, even though I can still feel the Witcher 3 fatigue and the game is veeeeeeee---eeeery similar to TW3. My biggest grievances, simple quest design and bad voice acting are in their worst in the side missions, so I did consider just skipping all of them altogether. But then again there might be some cool ones so I just need to endure through them (like I did in TW3).

Loving this game. Draw distance if phenomenal as well! I was watching a long neck strutting around in the horizon over 1800 steps(?) away. Looked great too.

jdstorm

Banned
Ok, just a question for all of you here. I bought a Nintendo Switch on the first day of release with Zelda, but returned it by the end of the day since I don't have enough time for gaming as I did before. However, I'm now kind of kicking myself. I don't feel like going out there hunting for Zelda and the Switch again.

For those who have both or just Horizon, is this game good enough to forget about Zelda for now?

Note, I don't want to start an argument, I'd just simply like to know what people think of the games and if Horizon is more than worth playing for a person who's thinking of Zelda right now.

Horizon is a great game. Whether it scratches that same itch who knows. I personally finished Horizon before starting on Zelda and had a blast with Horizon.

Horizon is 100% worth playing. Besides it might be worth waiting for the GOTY version of Zelda with all DLC included that will potentially release later this year.

Ammogeddon

I have both and they are both great.

Personally I am spread a bit thin between the two. Both deserve your attention so it may be worth playing through one then going onto the other.

mokeyjoe

I haven't played Zelda, but I think the games are quite different in many ways. Zelda seems more like an epic open world, this is more of an action game happening to take place in an open world.

There's too much comparing of the two. Play each on its own merits.

On the other hand, if you want to forget about Zelda you can at least be satisfied with the fact that this is the most incredible looking game ever created and Zelda is a generation or two behind in that regard. In that regard at least, Zelda is a big downgrade.

Also the game is a ton of fun btw, it's not just a technical masterpiece. If you want something awesome and open world, Horizon delivers. It's the birth of an important new IP, without a doubt.

jdstorm

Banned
Holy crap, 6.5 hours in I remembered that you can turn off the pathfinding/quest markers so that they only point to the finish and the game got like 100 times better instantly. The waypoint markers were just confusing at best and terribly broken at best.

That said I really do like the game, even though I can still feel the Witcher 3 fatigue and the game is veeeeeeee---eeeery similar to TW3. My biggest grievances, simple quest design and bad voice acting are in their worst in the side missions, so I did consider just skipping all of them altogether. But then again there might be some cool ones so I just need to endure through them (like I did in TW3).

Try changing the defult language. Gurella Games did an amazing job with allowing the player multiple audio options. (And keeping it seperate from the Menu language) If the english bothers you that much try one of the others.

played through it in German despite not speaking it. 100% would recomend it.

Try changing the defult language. Gurella Games did an amazing job with allowing the player multiple audio options. (And keeping it seperate from the Menu language) If the english bothers you that much try one of the others.

played through it in German despite not speaking it. 100% would recomend it.

I am coming from Yakuza 0 so that might actually be an idea. Shame that finnish seems to be only subtitled.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes

no turn that off as well. It sits right in the middle of the screen and your eyes are trained to focus on it instead of looking at the amazing scenery around you. just remove it altogether and use the map to make sure you are going in the right direction. been playing with no hud except during battle and it's made me appreciate the world design so much more.

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
I just encountered my second Sawtooth and dismantled it in less than 15 seconds.

This is a far cry from the drawn out battle I had with the first one you're forced to fight early on.

That, to me, is one of my favorite aspects of the game: the sense of progression. It is fantastic so far. I've also just unlocked the Tinker trait (I'm level 13), and it's like a huge weight lifted off my shoulders not having to be concerned about mods anymore. I can just swap them whenever I see fit.

Question: What items should I absolutely sell to merchants? Can I sell special items, like Ancient Vessels, free of worry?

Kaiken

Banned

Played 20 mins of Zelda and it's been taking a back seat ever since.

Horizon is a great game. Whether it scratches that same itch who knows. I personally finished Horizon before starting on Zelda and had a blast with Horizon.

Horizon is 100% worth playing. Besides it might be worth waiting for the GOTY version of Zelda with all DLC included that will potentially release later this year.

I have both and they are both great.

Personally I am spread a bit thin between the two. Both deserve your attention so it may be worth playing through one then going onto the other.

I haven't played Zelda, but I think the games are quite different in many ways. Zelda seems more like an epic open world, this is more of an action game happening to take place in an open world.

There's too much comparing of the two. Play each on its own merits.

On the other hand, if you want to forget about Zelda you can at least be satisfied with the fact that this is the most incredible looking game ever created and Zelda is a generation or two behind in that regard. In that regard at least, Zelda is a big downgrade.

Also the game is a ton of fun btw, it's not just a technical masterpiece. If you want something awesome and open world, Horizon delivers. It's the birth of an important new IP, without a doubt.

Played 20 mins of Zelda and it's been taking a back seat ever since.

Thanks, everyone. I'll check out Horizon first then. Hopefully it'll get my mind off of Zelda for now. My rational side says to forget the Nintendo Switch until a better bundle or revision happens. I like the Wii U, but I barely touched it for the past 2 years and I think the same will happen with Nintendo Switch for me except for specific games. But Zelda is one of my favorite franchises.

Horizon looks great though. I didn't like Witcher 3 very much in the end because of how exhausting it is, so hopefully Horizon won't be as exhausting.

gow3isben

So I was just taking a quiet, paceful walk to the nearest camp on top of my Strider, enjoying the views and a beautiful sunset right in front of me WHEN SUDDENLY A FUCKING GIANT THUNDER BIRD CAME OUT OF NOWHERE AND KICKED MY ASS

Thats a good frikkin plan man go for it.

no turn that off as well. It sits right in the middle of the screen and your eyes are trained to focus on it instead of looking at the amazing scenery around you. just remove it altogether and use the map to make sure you are going in the right direction. been playing with no hud except during battle and it's made me appreciate the world design so much more.

How do you turn those off?

GReeeeN

could someone confirm or deny that increasing the difficulty also increases the chances of getting stronger mods with higher dmg bonuses?

MaKTaiL

could someone confirm or deny that increasing the difficulty also increases the chances of getting stronger mods with higher dmg bonuses?
It's actually harder. I've seen people playing on normal with way better mods than me. I don't mind though. I like the increased difficulty.

I just encountered my second Sawtooth and dismantled it in less than 15 seconds.

This is a far cry from the drawn out battle I had with the first one you're forced to fight early on.

That, to me, is one of my favorite aspects of the game: the sense of progression. It is fantastic so far. I've also just unlocked the Tinker trait (I'm level 13), and it's like a huge weight lifted off my shoulders not having to be concerned about mods anymore. I can just swap them whenever I see fit.

Question: What items should I absolutely sell to merchants? Can I sell special items, like Ancient Vessels, free of worry?

you can always buy items back.

legbone

There's a specific merchant in meridian that will take the vessels off your hands. I don't think you can sell them, but if you can, don't.

Man, I am nowhere near finishing the game; I'm amazed that some of you have finished or even gotten a plat. I'm just taking my time or not putting in the same hours per day as some of ya.

BTW, this must look amazing on a Pro because on a regular PS4, it looks beautiful in every aspect.

Give them a chance, I found that most voices were actually pretty good. Design is simple tho but some quest are pretty interesting with great journeys through the map and some good stories. Besides, you'll face some fantastic battles in them.

Man, I am nowhere near finishing the game; I'm amazed that some of you have finished or even gotten a plat. I'm just taking my time or not putting in the same hours per day as some of ya.

BTW, this must look amazing on a Pro because on a regular PS4, it looks beautiful in every aspect.

I did the irresponsible thing and took a week off from work to play and finish Horizon and it really does look amazing on the Pro although I can say it looks amazing on the PS4 as I went over to my brother's house and my nephew was playing it on a regular PS4.

Horizon looks great though. I didn't like Witcher 3 very much in the end because of how exhausting it is, so hopefully Horizon won't be as exhausting.

Good thing about Horizon is that, while open world, you can play it fairly linearly if you fancy it, going straight for the story quests, or go nuts and explore. The game is very flexible and doesn't absolutely require you to grind or anything like that (you can buy most stuff you'll need for upgrades from vendors, for instance). The systems in the game are fairly lightweight, as well, so you won't need to be overly worried about stats and whatnot.

All that said, combat is fun, a bliss, and the best part of the game. I frequently find myself getting into fights just because they're so goddamn fun.

Just defeated my first thunderjaw. Shit was intense. Died 3 times before I finally nailed it. I definitely had to stay away from it's tail. That shit is just 1 hit dead. Decided to go for the guns on the front and two disc launchers. Ropecasted his body to the ground, ran towards one of the launchers and just went to town on it. Damn. That was one amazing and satisfying battle. I can't wait to witness another crazy ass encounter with two of them.

silva1991

Some random pics I took today

cwP8RYB.jpg

EuXjlHt.jpg

apflaqO.jpg

Lkfltjr.jpg

Cxwiml0.jpg

PgLXzNz.jpg

k1Dk49h.jpg

What a great game! I'm sure I'll get back to it alter, but it's Zelda time now.

Maybe I'll get the platinum when I get back to it since there are only 3 left.

Good thing about Horizon is that, while open world, you can play it fairly linearly if you fancy it, going straight for the story quests, or go nuts and explore. The game is very flexible and doesn't absolutely require you to grind or anything like that (you can buy most stuff you'll need for upgrades from vendors, for instance). The systems in the game are fairly lightweight, as well, so you won't need to be overly worried about stats and whatnot.

All that said, combat is fun, a bliss, and the best part of the game. I frequently find myself getting into fights just because they're so goddamn fun.

Wow, that's really a relief to hear. I'll definitely try this game out soon then. I've only heard great things about it, but the fear of how expansive, deep, and time-consuming like Witcher 3 it seems was off-putting to me. It's why Zelda stood out more to me as a game that is way more laid-back.

Oh shit, it's Lieutenant Daniels!

Damn, they barely know each other and he's already going full "In my office...now!" mode on Aloy. She must feel like McNulty lol

burgerdog

Any idea why glyphs, data points etc sometimes don't show up on the compass? I love finding these things and knowing i probably won't find half of them sucks.

Just defeated my first thunderjaw. Shit was intense. Died 3 times before I finally nailed it. I definitely had to stay away from it's tail. That shit is just 1 hit dead. Decided to go for the guns on the front and two disc launchers. Ropecasted his body to the ground, ran towards one of the launchers and just went to town on it. Damn. That was one amazing and satisfying battle. I can't wait to witness another crazy ass encounter with two of them.
Buy a sharpshot bow and use tear arrows!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom