• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon Zero Dawn |OT| The Land After Time

Status
Not open for further replies.

aristotle

Edit: how DO you get the powercells for that sidequest?

Copy and paste from some website:

First – This one is located in the very first cave you fall in when you start the game and are playing as young Aloy. You can only find the item as an adult, so you will have to revisit the location. It's directly east of Mother's Watch, which is in the southeast area of the world map. Drop into the cave and continue through until you come across a passage blocked by sharp, breakable rocks. It will be sitting on a desk.

Second – You'll have to advance at least up to the Womb of the Mountain quest which allows you to explore All-Mother Mountain. As you make your way through, without advancing the mission, you'll find a locked door with a bright red circle on it. You can't open it, but if you look to the left of this area you'll find a tunnel that will lead you to the next cell for the ancient armory. If you didn't get it during this quest, you can return to this area later, after progressing further in the story.

Third – To obtain this next one you'll have to make it up to the Maker's End quest in Horizon Zero Dawn and climb the Faro Skyscraper (this can be done after the quest as well). You will find it all the way at the top after learning about the lady that looks like Aloy. Just look for another path after that scene and you'll be able to go even higher.

Fourth – This one is found during or after the Grave-Hoard quest (which is after the Maker's End quest). When you reach the main area of the ruins, scan your surroundings to find this power cell laying about.

Fifth – The final Power Cell needed for the Ancient Armory quest is found during the quest The Mountain That Fell. During the quest, you'll come across a hologram that shows Faro talking with scientists working on GAIA. As you progress past that point, there will be a zipline that you need to ignore for a moment. Look around and you'll find a passage to a cave nearby that leads down to a Power Cell. Now you can return to the zipline and continue the quest.

HorizonZeroDawn_20170311034933.png

Glad I had the focus to help me follow these tracks.

Even some of the dialog refers to real life locations.

But I don't think we can fault them too much for basically cheating the map. They also cheat the language as well, because why would these people speak like 20th century Americans with different American accents? lol

I generally give games/movies a pass when it comes to the language, nobody wants to listen to people blabbering on in a made up language for 30-40 hours.

Osla

Neo Member
Do you like sci fi stories? Then keep on playing and concentrate on the main story line plus the vantage point collectibles, the cauldrons, maybe the tall necks and general world exploration.

I do like SF and this background story does interest me. In fact a game set in that time would be great haha. Thanks all, I'll carry on!

Copy and paste from some website:

Third – To obtain this next one you’ll have to make it up to the Maker’s End quest in Horizon Zero Dawn and climb the Faro Skyscraper (this can be done after the quest as well). You will find it all the way at the top after learning about the lady that looks like Aloy. Just look for another path after that scene and you’ll be able to go even higher.
So how do I do this after the quest? Do I reenter the building and make my way to the top again?

I wonder if Gorilla was a Sly Cooper fan? The Thunderbirds gave me this Clockwerk vibe. I kept on expecting an Easter Egg where I'd have to save a family of raccoons from either Glinthawks or a Thunderbird. Oh well. I was also hoping they'd do a Songbird Easter Egg where a Thunderbird was guarding a girl or something.

This game is so cool though. Having completed the majority of the side quests, some are real interesting. For instance, I just ran into a
Banuk Shaman in the middle of the desert that drinks oil and reveals the secrets of the machines.

I've also explored almost every inch of this landscape. Over 70 hours and I'm not even bored yet. This game has just been amazing fun. Devoted my whole Spring Break to it. I can't wait to see where this main story goes as I just ran into
Cedrick from The Wire
and met
Hades

vypek

I wonder if Gorilla was a Sly Cooper fan? The Thunderbirds gave me this Clockwerk vibe. I kept on expecting an Easter Egg where I'd have to save a family of raccoons from either Glinthawks or a Thunderbird. Oh well. I was also hoping they'd do a Songbird Easter Egg where a Thunderbird was guarding a girl or something.

This game is so cool though. Having completed the majority of the side quests, some are real interesting. For instance, I just ran into a Banuk Shaman in the middle of the desert that drinks oil and reveals the secrets of the machines.

There is a shaman in the desert? Guess I need to go search for that mission

ISee

They also cheat the language as well, because why would these people speak like 20th century Americans with different American accents? lol

I agree, the language should have evolved at least a bit (it didn't for obvious gameplay reasons). But there is actually a story reason why it is so close to our language.

vypek

Only found cause I've devoted myself to crossing every inch of this beautiful map. It's one of the better side quests too. I still haven't finished it but I'm excited

Awesome. Guess I need to look around more then. I've run into side quests in plenty of places I didn't expect so far. Thought I was getting them all lol

hbkdx12

I beat the game last week and took some time away from it. I boot it up and I'm in the desert and I see a a group of caja try to ambush a longleg.
It caught my attention because there was a balloon trap in the middle of the road and there was two caja guys Squatting in bushes on opposite sides of the road and then a third caja was running away from the longleg and ran him into the trap. I helped them fight it and they gave me a reward box.
That was pretty dope

Freylis

Quick question regarding Sunfall:
Sylens warns you that you're about to enter a point of no return if you carry on with the main quest, and should finish up any other quests first. Does he just mean the ones near Sunfall, or will the world change after this quest such that all other remaining side quests get closed off? I just want to know which quests I need to do now before progressing the story.
Thanks in advance!

Ivory Samoan

Gold Member
After (many) failed attempts at the 2 Corrupted Rockbreakers, I finally beat them whilst thinking of cheese ways to do it lol....
that rock was there all along, just had to jump on it and ice them breakers up!

What a time we live in, Horizon now, Mass Effect later this week and have Zelda, Nier Automata and Nioh sitting on 80% finished to play after them.

Life is good fam, Gaming is in it's platinum age surely.

leng jai

I really don't like the data point placement in this game. There are barely any in the open world but once you start doing a main mission all of a sudden there's one every 2 seconds. This is mainly an issue when it comes to the audio logs. When there are 5 or 6 of them within the same room it makes it impossible to listen to them organically while playing the game.

Anyone else playing this game in very hard difficulty? Fighting 4 glint hawks and a oversized snapmaw at the same time is tons of fun (and deaths).

I would like to see a turtle, snake and gorilla/monkey type of a machine in the sequel/dlc
Also bring back the damn
suchominus
in the sequel, you bastards

Exquisik

I really don't like the data point placement in this game. There are barely any in the open world but once you start doing a main mission all of a sudden there's one every 2 seconds. This is mainly an issue when it comes to the audio logs. When there are 5 or 6 of them within the same room it makes it impossible to listen to them organically while playing the game.

If they spread the data point/log all over in the open world, then a lot of people would've miss the lore that leads up to the current event. Don't forget that not everyone like to explore every nook and cranny of an open world game.

S

Steve.1981

Unconfirmed Member
I know I'm lttp on this, but I fought my first Thunderjaw last night.

Man... This game...

What a time we live in, Horizon now, Mass Effect later this week and have Zelda, Nier Automata and Nioh sitting on 80% finished to play after them.

Life is good...

It's a great time to be an arpg fan. With those titles you listed, my gaming time is made up for months!

Have you explored the north eastern side of the map? there's a pure laje there where you can swim and lot's of ruins from the old ones. Also is infested of corrupted Snapmaw and if you reach the edge of the map it doesn't tell you that you're going off limit, it tells you that you can't access that location. Half the Snapmaw are way ahead the forbidden are and there are some graphical glitches that looks like tears of the past.

I can upload a video if necessary.

Found some kind of maelstrom too! :O

Would like to see a video and/or map location.

I scoured the full map and can't recall coming across corrupted snapmaws anywhere.

edit: nvm saw your next post

TsuWave

in "grave-hoard"
when Aloy turns on the console and Sylens is like 'that's a map. of our world. its not flat like you thought Aloy" and she's like "why would i think that? during eclipses the shadows cast by the moon are curved so..." it made me chuckle because Sylens really thought Aloy was some dumb ass that thought the earth was flat

After playing it some more i like it more now Maybe a high 7 or low 8/10 game for me :)

I played the combat wrong against most machine mobs where you should engulf some in flames i tried hitting their vulnareble parts instead, and so on.

Havent gotten myself into the story yet really.

The AI is really fucking dumb in this game, weirdly the machines act smarter than human mobs for the most part. Even though sometimes they can get stuck in enviroment. Human AI is among the worst i have seen in a game, no hyperbole. I mean cmon.

After playing Zelda and coming to this where climbing is context sensitive and automatic is feeling like a last gen mechanic.

Mathieran

Banned
I hope they add NG+ if it's not there already. I love this game but don't really want to upgrade all my carrying capacity stuff again.

Also please add a chest to store stuff in. I'm constantly hovering at about 90/100 and have to make stops at merchants all the time now. And I just got to meridian.

bratpack

jesus does zelda need to be brought into every gaming conversation?

zelda invented this and that
zelda will make other games boring
zelda did it first
zelda greatest game of all time

there's zelda threads for all of that talk

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Reworking my weapons now.

Edit: shit - carja warbow doesn't do corruption. And you can't have two of the same type. Keep the shadow warbow with three freeze mods (56 freeze stat), or use carja with two freeze (46 freeze), and shadow with corruption?

I might buy a shadow or carja tripcaster for trap laying - easier than laying the single use traps and can do from cover (plus it can help me keep my items clear so I can get to potions quickly). I currently just have the basic one. Is it worth getting the shadow one, or is carja enough?

Not sure about my shadow hunting setup. should I go for fire or tear mods?

Once I'm done with weapons, can I sell hearts or are they used for anything else? Would help me free up resource slots.

Meantime

Is there any way to drop or sell the maps you can buy from vendors? I've ended up with two or three copies of some of them and it's really annoying me for no good reason.

Blackthorn

"hello?" "this is vagina"
Reworking my weapons now.

Edit: shit - carja warbow doesn't do corruption. And you can't have two of the same type. Keep the shadow warbow with three freeze mods (56 freeze stat), or use carja with two freeze (46 freeze), and shadow with corruption?

I might buy a shadow or carja tripcaster for trap laying - easier than laying the single use traps and can do from cover (plus it can help me keep my items clear so I can get to potions quickly). I currently just have the basic one. Is it worth getting the shadow one, or is carja enough?

Not sure about my shadow hunting setup. should I go for fire or tear mods?

Once I'm done with weapons, can I sell hearts or are they used for anything else? Would help me free up resource slots.
If you complete all hunting trials you'll get (reward spoilers)
another three slot war bow, as well as another blast sling and rope caster.

Baalzebup

Edit: shit - carja warbow doesn't do corruption. And you can't have two of the same type. Keep the shadow warbow with three freeze mods, or use carja with two freeze, and shadow with corruption?.
Can't have two of the same type? Please tell that to my collection of weapons that at one point included 3 Shadow Tripcasters, 3 Shadow elemental slingshots, 3 Shadow War Bows, 2 Shadow "regular" bows, 2 Shadow sharpshooter bows and 2 Shadow Rattlers + the L
odge weapons at one point where I also ditched one of the War Bows for the superior Lodge version.
I didn't switch over mods between the weapons to suit my needs, I just changed the weapons.

Playsage

What are thunderjaw heart, thunderjaw lens, behemoth heart and lens used for? I don't see any outfit or weapon to trade for
About Thunderjaw's heart
a NPC asks for one during anche errand. If you don't have it, the game spawns a TJ with 100% drop rate in a certain location

Quick question regarding Sunfall:
Sylens warns you that you're about to enter a point of no return if you carry on with the main quest, and should finish up any other quests first. Does he just mean the ones near Sunfall, or will the world change after this quest such that all other remaining side quests get closed off? I just want to know which quests I need to do now before progressing the story.
Thanks in advance!

Not sure if anyone answered your question, but the main reason it tells you that is so you can complete Vanesha's side quest before as the story makes more sense that way.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Can't have two of the same type? Please tell that to my collection of weapons that at one point included 3 Shadow Tripcasters, 3 Shadow elemental slingshots, 3 Shadow War Bows, 2 Shadow "regular" bows, 2 Shadow sharpshooter bows and 2 Shadow Rattlers + the L
odge weapons at one point where I also ditched one of the War Bows for the superior Lodge version.
I didn't switch over mods between the weapons to suit my needs, I just changed the weapons.

Strange - if I highlight an already owned weapon in a merchants list the X button is greyed out. Not sure I'll be able to do the lodge trials but might have a go

Baalzebup

Strange - if I highlight an already owned weapon in a merchants list the X button is greyed out. Not sure I'll be able to do the lodge trials but might have a go
Have you upgraded your weapon inventory size? I can't think of any other reason beside a straight up lack of space as to why the game would actively prevent you from buying them, as I've bough multiple copies from the same merchants at the same time.

Popsickles

Is it just me or did the last update effect LOD as it seams the have been lessened especially short grass and road textures. On Pro by the way

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom