• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon Zero Dawn |OT| The Land After Time

Status
Not open for further replies.

Humdinger

Won't read the thread because there's too much I haven't seen being discussed, but just wanted to pop in and say, I'm really enjoying the game. Reminds me of Mass Effect in some ways (the way the dialog is handled), but it feels completely fresh. Best new RPG I've played in years. I hope the sales numbers are good -- they deserve it.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
The game appears to have sprinkled tramples everywhere. I didn't come across any until around meridian, but now I'm backtracking for some cauldron and hunting lodge stuff and they're all over the place

AngryMoth

how is the story from beginning to end? I expect a really good story since the setting is really interesting.
The main story is really great, one of my favourites in a game for a good while. There's kind of a slump after the first 5 hours but it really ramps up again for the 2nd half.

I dont know if this already posted but yeah

Ravage from Tranformers movie

400px-ROTF_Ravage_promo.jpg

Ravager

ravager.jpg

Both have their own mounted weapon on their back.

Yeah, but the Ravager looks infinitely cooler. The piece-by-piece armored robotic design is much more aesthetically pleasing than jagged-spike-edgelord robot.

Allonym

There should be more tampons in gaming
I turned off enemy health bar, enemy awareness and compass.
Enemy health and awareness you can tell by looking at the models.

What's cool about all those things is that they are so intuitively told by the machines that it doesn't really impair your ability to combat them and remain undetected. Game is so good. It's on par with Souls and other great action games. If they just refine the formula a little and expand on some things...Jesus! Other people in the industry had better watch out, I mean they should be on notice now.

Since I beat the story I turned off the compass. I already had the whole HUD set to Dynamic, but man. It really is glorious with no HUD.

I don't have a single Platinum trophy, and I am going to change that. This game deserves it.

Dame

Just beat the game and had a blast doing so. It deserves its high praises 7 is greatly ambitious. Here are some non-spoiler annoyances though:

Aloy constantly asking plot pivotal questions that honestly should be internal. It is there for us stupid audience members to ask ourselves, which the writing shouldn't be doing. She often says to herself out loud why she needs to do what she needs to do & what the next plot point is. This will become glaringly clear and more obvious during Meridian. For a brilliant game that doesn't try and hold your hand mechanics-wise, it certainly does so in terms of plot and making you ask questions you would've otherwise asked, without Aloy telling you to.

The latter part of the game gets bogged down with expository storytelling & a lot of audio codexes placed one after another.

For as decent as the voice acting is, one can never escape those actors who 1. put on a tone & 2. constantly break the natural flow of speech by making random dramatic cuts in their speaking pattern for effect. Aloy's voice actor avoids this through the earlier half of the game, but a certain antagonist who tells you to stare at the sun is littered with bad anime villain voice acting.

What's cool about all those things is that they are so intuitively told by the machines that it doesn't really impair your ability to combat them and remain undetected. Game is so good. It's on par with Souls and other great action games. If they just refine the formula a little and expand on some things...Jesus! Other people in the industry had better watch out, I mean they should be on notice now.

I love how most of the machines are unique and they all have their own weaknesses. Definitely never came across as bullet sponges (except Deathbringer)

ferunnico

Neo Member
how is the story from beginning to end? I expect a really good story since the setting is really interesting.

It seems like I'm in the minority here, but I didn't like the story at all. As someone else mentionend, it does get a bit more interesting when you discover what's really going on, but overall I didn't feel invested in the story or any of the characters. I would still recommend this game, though. The gameplay and the world are amazing, I just think the story, the characters, the dialogue and the writing in general are pretty weak.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Any tips for the 'tie down' lodge trial? Glinthawks are bad enough as-is, but with tramplers joining the party it's a nightmare

Edit: phew - did it. Ended up sprinting to the nearest trampled and overriding it, then killing the other two as soon as possible so I could focus on the glinthawks. Still not a fun challenge as inhate flying enemies generally and tracking them with a stick can be annoying

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I generally give games/movies a pass when it comes to the language, nobody wants to listen to people blabbering on in a made up language for 30-40 hours.
I actually like it in The Expanse. lol

I agree, the language should have evolved at least a bit (it didn't for obvious gameplay reasons). But there is actually a story reason why it is so close to our language.
Sure, but why specifically American English with American colloquialisms? Why would someone have a Southern accent?

Any tips for the 'tie down' lodge trial? Glinthawks are bad enough as-is, but with tramplers joining the party it's a nightmare
Stay near the edge on the slope and hope they don't fly out of bounds.
There's probably a way to do it legitimately down on the ground, but I couldn't do it since the Tramplers kept killing the Glinthawks.

Allonym

I love how most of the machines are unique and they all have their own weaknesses. Definitely never came across as bullet sponges (except Deathbringer)
It too has those heat fins and radiators that can be shot along with its weapons but then again it makes sense why it was a bullet sponge. It was created by the ancient ones and meant to be a war machine so maybe that's why it's devoid of any glaring weaknesses unlike the other, later machines.

Alastor3

It seems like I'm in the minority here, but I didn't like the story at all. As someone else mentionend, it does get a bit more interesting when you discover what's really going on, but overall I didn't feel invested in the story or any of the characters. I would still recommend this game, though. The gameplay and the world are amazing, I just think the story, the characters, the dialogue and the writing in general are pretty weak.

hmmm since i study in creative writing, we critic a lot of texts (in french tho) so my judgement got sharper over the years, I might feel like you once I play the game

Allonym

I actually like it in The Expanse. lol

Sure, but why specifically American English with American colloquialisms? Why would someone have a Southern accent?

Stay near the edge on the slope and hope they don't fly out of bounds.
There's probably a way to do it legitimately down on the ground, but I couldn't do it since the Tramplers kept killing the Glinthawks.
I haven't completed the game but maybe some southerners survived and the people originated from those survivors who remained in that area.

Yayyyyy got all the blazing suns!

If you aggro them off to the right side where the path slopes down from the trial master oppose to sliding down the ropes, the tramplers either won't aggro or will get stuff on the other side of the path. Then just tie them, blow their ice pouch on the front and let them have it!

the most recent patch made it noticeably worse

I noticed too, but I wasn't sure if it was the patch, or something about moving the game to an external hdd.

I haven't completed the game but maybe some southerners survived and the people originated from those survivors who remained in that area.

I'm gonna spoiler tag this, but I'd HIGHLY suggest clicking it. It doesn't spoil the end of the game, only one aspect of exactly what happened during the robot... Stuff.

Literally nothing survived. No plant, animal, or anything organic.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
What skills should I level up first?
After stealth takedowns and lure, I think it depends on how you like to play. I found the ability to fire 3 arrows useful early on, but you might be a melee player and that skill that lets you stun enemies with a strong attack is really useful if you are surrounded.

I don't get want to get into spoilers for such a minor point, but let's just say
that wouldn't matter given how the new humans are created.

-Amon-

I really think some of you guys are spoiling some important things here.

Not everybody has already finished the game.

Keep those things for the spoiler thread, it's not that hard, for fuck sake.

hydruxo

Listening to the soundtrack on spotify after beating the game has made me appreciate it a lot more. While playing I felt like a lot of the songs were fairly understated and ambient, but there are some really great stand out tracks. I love the one that plays during the beginning of the final mission
when Aloy gets woken up by one of the soldiers then her and Avad are standing on the balcony when the machines start attacking. Really gets your blood pumping for when they throw you in to fight Helis.

So what are everyone's HUD configurations in terms of always on / dynamic / always off.
Everything off except for the weapon and ammo display. I'm trying to play the game as organically as possible. It's especially exciting fighting robots and having to rely on visual cues for their health (which the game provides aplenty) but never knowing quite when they'll go down.

ferunnico

Neo Member
Everything off except for the weapon and ammo display. I'm trying to play the game as organically as possible. It's especially exciting fighting robots and having to rely on visual cues for their health (which the game provides aplenty) but never knowing quite when they'll go down.

Oh man, I didn't even think about turning off enemy health bars. That does indeed sound pretty exciting. Should I ever return to this game, I will definitely try playing it with a minimalist HUD.

Xeteh

I just left the HUD on, strangely enough the game still looks pretty with it taking up almost zero real estate on the screen.

Oh man, I didn't even think about turning off enemy health bars. That does indeed sound pretty exciting. Should I ever return to this game, I will definitely try playing it with a minimalist HUD.
For sure. There is a massive "holy crap I did it!!" thrill when a robot finally collapses after an intense encounter. Health bars totally rob the player of that exhilaration by telegraphing precisely when the battle will be over. Having a behemoth rushing at you and not knowing if your last arrow will down it and it does is a serious rush. Every encounter is exciting, which is probably why I accidentally over-leveled to 50 when the game was calling for me to do level 12 quests. I've spent an insane amount of time just hunting.

This.

Allonym

I'm gonna spoiler tag this, but I'd HIGHLY suggest clicking it. It doesn't spoil the end of the game, only one aspect of exactly what happened during the robot... Stuff.

Literally nothing survived. No plant, animal, or anything organic.

After stealth takedowns and lure, I think it depends on how you like to play. I found the ability to fire 3 arrows useful early on, but you might be a melee player and that skill that lets you stun enemies with a strong attack is really useful if you are surrounded.

I don't get want to get into spoilers for such a minor point, but let's just say
that wouldn't matter given how the new humans are created.

LMAO, I'm sorry but I'm not reading any of these

EDIT: and my blackass while quoting you saw what you wrote. Oh well, not a big surprise...actually it is a big surprise. lol

hope

Banned
Started today.

Holy Shit.What an Opening.Superb Stuff.Cutscenes are superbly done.Music is simply Awesome and goosebumpy.

Gameplay is Nailed here.So good to Hunt Machines.They are truly awesome to fight with.

That fight with Sawtooth was tense for me.

Excited for the Proving now.

Great Start to the Game must say.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom