• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon Zero Dawn |OT| The Land After Time

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just completed the game, it lives up to my most anticipated game of the year and then some.

Guerilla Games has outclassed so many devs with this one - what a fantastic ride.

I'm finding hard to go back to the game after finishing the story. I feel like there is nothing meaningful to strife for.
I played the game on Very Hard. Focused on the story only doing a few side quest along the way yet I feel like I've seen all the game has to offer from a gameplay stand point.
I finished with lvl36 with almost all skill unlocked. The weapons I see from the vendors are only a little bit better than the ones I have.
Is there a hidden "boss" to challenge a lvl50 character?

I guess what I'm saying is: I'm having a hard time finding a meaningful the End Game...

Any side quests or errands that you guys thought were particularly great?
The Vantages, if they count. Days 10-12 got a lot of emotion out of me. Bashar Mati's story personalizes the lore and the history of the world in a way nothing else does in the game. And they make the reveals down the road have that much more impact.

Okay boys try not to spoil me too hard but I'm trying to play a certain way, I want my first fight with a Thunderjaw to be epic and hopefully part of a main mission. Does this happen? The reason I ask is cause I believe the next Lodge mission has me hunting them yet I haven't really seen one yet. I want to be introduced to one in a boss like fashion.

Also I just got gifted a Tearblaster, lol no joke I didn't know it was even a weapon in the game. Sweet!! New toys to mess around with.

well that
ancient armor
is super disapointing :/

I expected some sort of Halo suit judging from what it looked like in the rack :(

anyway, so what are the "unknown" activities? DLC?

Its super OP. It has a recharging shield.

You are invincible while the shield is up.

Okay boys try not to spoil me too hard but I'm trying to play a certain way, I want my first fight with a Thunderjaw to be epic and hopefully part of a main mission. Does this happen? The reason I ask is cause I believe the next Lodge mission has me hunting them yet I haven't really seen one yet. I want to be introduced to one in a boss like fashion.

Also I just got gifted a Tearblaster, lol no joke I didn't know it was even a weapon in the game. Sweet!! New toys to mess around with.

It happens in a side mission

I would recommend you complete the hunters lodge and get yourself a sponsor.

Horizon Zero Dawn |OT2| Enduring Victory

Winner.

Ehh... several side quest has the Thunderjaw as a boss, it happens in the story but
really late.
I would recommend to do the Hunter's Lodge side quest for your first Thunderjaw, it's pretty awesome.

This is the quest I would recommend if you want the best first Thunderjaw battle possible:

Hunter’s Blind - Deadliest Game - Redmaw.

Applesauce

Boom! Bitch-slapped!

Cauldron Zeta

ElyrionX

When you start encountering the bigger enemies, are the standard hunter arrows even of any use? Or do you use hardpoint or precision arrows to deal damage outside of elemental damage?

Zackat

Just visited the Mass Effect gif thread.
I take it all back Horizon. Your dialogue animations are fine.

yeah lol. I am so fucking bummed about ME though.

When you start encountering the bigger enemies, are the standard hunter arrows even of any use? Or do you use hardpoint or precision arrows to deal damage outside of elemental damage?

I kind of use them as filler when I don't have the "bullet time" up, since they are the cheapest to make.

Applesauce

Boom! Bitch-slapped!

Always use the hardpoint arrows once you get the weapon, unless you are going for animals. Hardpoint arrows knock armor off and deal more damage to sensitive areas on machines.

GNOSIS

Okay, I'm joining the club!

Just bought this with a PS4 last night. Will play it tonight.

Anything I should know before I dive in?

I am not quite good at action games. Well, I don't play many of them. But this one is too hard to resist with all the dinosaur robots. So hopefully it isn't too hard for me.

Styles

Game is still stable at 89 on MC with 107 reviews. I think it moved up a few positions on the all time points chart.

giphy.gif

LiK

Man, Zelda's water effects look better than Horizon. Seriously, I griped about the water so much in this game. That's all they need to fix and it would be god-tier.

Game is still stable at 89 on MC with 107 reviews. I think it moved up a few positions on the all time points chart.

It's impossible that it moves either up or down, it's right in the middle of 89. It should get like five 10s at the very least to get to 90 and a similar quantity of 8s to go down.

Not that many reviews left, possibly two or three more.

Applesauce

Boom! Bitch-slapped!
Blood drinking?

You're not talking about Nil, are you?

No

Brin is the dude who drinks machine blood, the quest is called "Acquired Taste". Weirdest character in the game easily. That quest ends fighting 2 Thunderjaws.

Nil is the dude obsessed with bandit camps

It happens in a side mission

I would recommend you complete the hunters lodge and get yourself a sponsor.

I already have a sponsor.

Winner.

Ehh... several side quest has the Thunderjaw as a boss, it happens in the story but
really late.
I would recommend to do the Hunter's Lodge side quest for your first Thunderjaw, it's pretty awesome.

This is the quest I would recommend if you want the best first Thunderjaw battle possible:

Hunter’s Blind - Deadliest Game - Redmaw.
I haven't started the quest yet, I still need to talk to the girl, Talanah I think, but I'm not sure if I get that mission before I have to just hunt them for trophies? I'll find out later tonight.

Muffdraul

Did they nerf the ropecaster in 1.04 or something? I'm playing through the game a second time, and it seems like more than half of the shots I make with it don't stick. I'm not out of range, they hit the target and I hear them snap immediately. I didn't notice that happening at all during my first play through.

Mifune

Mehmber

I haven't started the quest yet, I still need to talk to the girl, Talanah I think, but I'm not sure if I get that mission before I have to just hunt them for trophies? I'll find out later tonight.

Yep, you hunt one first to get the opportunity to go after
Redmaw
. I'm at the same spot. And that strikes me as a strange way to structure a mission.

Yeah sorry, Talanah ask you to battle a Thunderjaw before the main event. :/

My other recommendation would be: Traitor's Bounty -> Queen's Gambit. That's the other awesome side quest you'll get.

No

Brin is the dude who drinks machine blood, the quest is called "Acquired Taste". Weirdest character in the game easily. That quest ends fighting 2 Thunderjaws.

Nil is the dude obsessed with bandit camps

Thanks for the info. What area is this character in?

I know about Nil, he's one of my favourite twisted characters.

That's good. Speak to her, you'll enjoy the quest.

Jacob4815

The story was so good and interesting at the beginning, then I went to Meridiana and it suddenly became boring and disappointing.

Just defeated Dervhal.
Fuck that Sun King, so boring...

Will the story be better later?

NeoRausch

Man, Zelda's water effects look better than Horizon. Seriously, I griped about the water so much in this game. That's all they need to fix and it would be god-tier.

Yeah, this game is stunner, a real looker! But the water effects and some of the NPC animations drag it down on the gratuity graphics side
The chicken/ostrich ones are very annoying.

Rip their airsacks and they are almost done. Shot the coils on their back after that and you got yourself a McNugget.

Roussow

That late game secret super armor was crazy good. You could probably call it overpowered, as it made healing completely trivial. But I won't lie I actually had a peak amount of fun wrapping up everything to get the Platinum while wearing that dope outfit, it really changed the game flow in a way I enjoyed.

If I do replay Horizon any time soon, I'm straight up skipping the side quests, maybe with the exception of some of the longer more interesting quest chains. Cauldrons and Hunting Challenges are more than enough entertaining side content to maintain a playthrough. Plus throw in all the hunting of animals you'll want to do and that's plenty of objectives.

I turned off a bunch of HUD elements on my first run, I'll probably try to turn off more on a second run -- the only frustrating part of the dynamic HUD is that brushing the touchpad brings up ALL of the HUD elements, including ones set to turned off and not just set to dynamic, which is frustrating. I don't need that fucking sound indicator! Who needs a sound indicator? Also, turned off the little floating alert indicators, too. The robots indicate it pretty fucking clearly with their faces.

The story was so good and interesting at the beginning, then I went to Meridiana and it suddenly became boring and disappointing.

Just defeated Dervhal.

Will the story be better later?

It kind of gets dropped after that for a good long while, and focuses more on the sci-fi stuff.

Mifune

Mehmber

Just defeated Dervhal.

The story will be better?

Yeah, I wasn't a big fan of all the Carja stuff either.

Honestly, I found the storytelling up until The Proving and its immediate aftermath to be pretty much perfect. After that it's a lot of info dumps. But I'm not done yet, just got to a mission that everyone says is great in the story department, so I'm hopeful it picks up before the end.

That late game secret super armor was crazy good. You could probably call it overpowered, as it made healing completely trivial. But I won't lie I actually had a peak amount of fun wrapping up everything to get the Platinum while wearing that dope outfit, it really changed the game flow in a way I enjoyed.

If I do replay Horizon any time soon, I'm straight up skipping the side quests, maybe with the exception of some of the longer more interesting quest chains. Cauldrons and Hunting Challenges are more than enough entertaining side content to maintain a playthrough. Plus throw in all the hunting of animals you'll want to do and that's plenty of objectives.

I turned off a bunch of HUD elements on my first run, I'll probably try to turn off more on a second run -- the only frustrating part of the dynamic HUD is that brushing the touchpad brings up ALL of the HUD elements, including ones set to turned off and not just set to dynamic, which is frustrating. I don't need that fucking sound indicator! Who needs a sound indicator? Also, turned off the little floating alert indicators, too. The robots indicate it pretty fucking clearly with their faces.

If the armor didn't look so dank I'd wear it too. Makes some of the bigger machines more engaging to fight when I'm not getting gobsmacked around.

Agree with the sidequest thing. Frankly, they're really boring, and I'm just about to start a new playthrough because the game is very front loaded, and apparently designed for you to finish all the side quests before you beat the game.

HUD should have a permanent disable. I thought it was nice and concise the first time around, but now I find it intrusive, and in many cases redundant. There is enough visual and rumble feedback to tell what is going on without it.

Zackat

Did they nerf the ropecaster in 1.04 or something? I'm playing through the game a second time, and it seems like more than half of the shots I make with it don't stick. I'm not out of range, they hit the target and I hear them snap immediately. I didn't notice that happening at all during my first play through.

Ropecaster can tear pieces of armor off I believe. See if that is what is going on.

Someone asked before and I'll post it again so anyone can take an opinion from someone (me :p)

These are the best sidequest and errands the game has in my opinion (for different reasons).

- A Daughter’s Vengeance (great story and journey)
- A Moment’s Peace (great story and concept)

- Underequipped (great early battles)
- Traitor’s Bounty - Queen’s Gambit (good story, battles and characters)
- Honor the Fallen (great story and meaning)
- Fatal Inheritence (good story and battle)
- Hunter’s Blind - Deadliest Game - Redmaw (great story and battles)
- Death from the Skies (great battles)
- Blood on Stone (cool battles)
- Sunstone Rock (cool mission)
- Acquired Taste (great character and misteries)

Bloded the best ones, but the others are pretty cool either because of the story, meaning, or combat scenarios.

Zackat

Someone asked before and I'll post it again so anyone can take an opinion from someone (me :p)

These are the best sidequest and errands the game has in my opinion (for different reasons).

- A Daughter’s Vengeance (great story and journey)
- A Moment’s Peace (great story and concept)

- Underequipped (great early battles)
- Traitor’s Bounty - Queen’s Gambit (good story, battles and characters)
- Honor the Fallen (great story and meaning)
- Fatal Inheritence (good story and battle)
- Hunter’s Blind - Deadliest Game - Redmaw (great story and battles)
- Death from the Skies (great battles)
- Blood on Stone (cool battles)
- Sunstone Rock (cool mission)
- Acquired Taste (great character and misteries)

Bloded the best ones, but the others are pretty cool either because of the story, meaning, or combat scenarios.

I really liked Acquired Taste, that VA did a good job.

Does anyone know if the dialog cutscenes are procedural generated in any way? Maybe it's the wrong term but the way characters move their heads randomly while talking looks very awkward. Obviously the game has lip syncing issues, but the animations are largely fine aside from the unnatural body language.

SlickVic

Finally took down my first Thunderjaw today. To see that last sliver of health dwindle down, I admit, made me feel powerful. I am the huntress, nothing can stand in my way.

I think I am enjoying this too much.

Chamber

love on your sleeve

Zelda also drops to 20fps, something has to give somewhere. People rag on the water and grass physics in this game but it runs at 1080p/4K with the most rock solid framerate of any open world game out there. You have to sacrifice something.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom