• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon Zero Dawn |OT| The Land After Time

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is anyone experiencing a glitch with the Kill all Recon Robots trophy?

I'm positive I've killed all types of robots and this one isn't showing, im only a few more off the platinum too :(

I could be wrong, but I think only
watchers and redeye watchers
fall into this category. The latter looks very similar to the former so it's possible you might not have killed one yet? Check your stats on that one.

Bunga

I don't like Far Cry at all and I love Horizon. Engaging story with great lore. Good characters and stories. Side quest are good but no The Witcher III level (some are really close tho), spectacular combat and enemy designs.
The tower thing, there's only 5 of them, and are much more interesting to face than any tower ever in any other game (that I've played).
The game is a mix between Far Cry and The Witcher III (in a reductive way of course, it has its own appeal too) but the rpg aspect is really friendly.

Thanks, that about sells it for me! Soon as I start seeing Witcher 3 comparisons, I'm pretty much in lol.

Thanks, that about sells it for me! Soon as I start seeing Witcher 3 comparisons, I'm pretty much in lol.

Haha cool but again, you won't have systems as complex as The Witcher III, Horizon is like The Witcher III lite edition but if you liked that game, Horizon is the next best similar thing.

Not Drake

I was able to sit with the console for three straight hours yesterday for the first time in months. After completing the Maker's End main quest I just explored the map for the rest of the evening. Managed to grab almost all collectibles (2 flowers aside), cleared Bandit Camps and had a good time hunting and learning to use weapons I didn't have a chance to try before. I feel pretty damn powerful now too. Earlier I had problems with Ravagers and Glinthawks. Now they pose no threat to me. The game is far from easy though. I met my first Stormbird and a Behemoth. They feel like freaking boss battles while playing on hard. Still yet to fight a Thunderjaw. I've seen a few of them, but didn't try to fight them. Really excited for the weekend. I'm taking a free day on Friday so I'll have another lenghty Horizon session in the morning.

Redders

Platinumed at the weekend after 49 hours of playtime, only my second Platinum first was one of the Sly Cooper games. Probably the first game where I actually wanted to listen/read all the datapoints etc that I came across due to how much I bought into the story/world, in most games I look at a few but not bother with most of them.

Day 1 for any expansion which is needed fast!

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
just finished there. really enjoyed it. definitely hope they make a sequel.

i got to lvl 43 and bang on 39 hours total time. i think i might have missed out some side quests but i did all the ones i found except for tutorials/hunting lodge.

Griss

I'm about 17 hours in, just cleared the Maker's End quest and then spent some time exploring.

I don't know, it's pretty good, but... It's not quite as good as I was expecting. When Gravity Rush 2 went on sale (EU) this morning my instinctive reaction was 'maybe I'll buy that and drop Horizon', which surprised me, as by and large I'm having a lot of fun with the game.

I mean, I'm glad I bought it. The combat feels great, enemy designs are fantastic, and the world is utterly stunning digital art. But a lot of the complaints people have with Ubiworld games that typically don't bother me too much actually bother me in this game. Some of my biggest issues would be:

The Quest markers - Constantly following a marker on the screen that never goes away, even if you turn the whole hub off. It means you never feel like you're freely exploring, that marker is always spinning away on the screen somewhere. Arrive at a new town? Expect to see 2 to 3 green arrows cluttering your screen, pretty much forcing you to go pick up those quests to get rid of that annoyance even if you're not interested in doing the quests right now. The idea that you'd find people to talk to naturally and pick up quests that way is alien to this game.

Then when you do decide that it's time to go do a quest, that unavoidable marker will make it a case of simply navigating from A to B in a rote fashion. It's the opposite of exciting. At least give me the option of using my map to navigate to my destination. Speaking of which...

The map - The map is cluttered with so many icons that it's an absolute eyesore, and makes you feel like you're not exploring the wild at all. In most open world games turning all of these icons off is the very first thing I do but you can't here. It's just a cluttered mess of warp points, activities and quest objectives, and boils them all down to points on a map. Why is the map telling me what creatures are in a location I haven't quite discovered yet? Why can't I discover that those machines are there on my own first? I really hate the way the map robs the game of a feeling of organic exploration. For example, I have never stumbled upon a cauldron without seeing it on the map first. That's really, really lame.

The inventory / crafting systems - Nothing you pick up ever feels of any real value. It feels as if the game wants getting the requisite items to trade to be as easy as possible - so easy you won't need to notice it or pay attention, you'll have picked up plenty of resources along the way. But in that case, why include it? Why force me to loot all these guys when I've never had a single 'aha, yes, one of those items' moments? It's also totally unclear what I should be selling as most of the items indicate that they are used for trading with merchants and yet I never see a use for them at merchants. As for crafting, I always have more than enough to craft almost infinite ammo and items. Yet plenty of time is spent dealing with this busywork system. Why not just give me infinite items and save me from dealing with this meaningless system?

Not only that, but the constant foraging for wood and medicine feels like busy work that just interrupts my passage through the world. Once I have enough, the intrusive markers for this stuff should disappear. Even the marker for rocks doesn't disappear when your inventory is full, you now just have red markers to contend with. Turning all of this off would be such a huge improvement.

So far almost all of my problems with the game have been UI related, honestly, but...

The story / characters - I'm just not invested in this world very much, I'm afraid. Aloy is nice but dull, and her interesting backstory has given way to a bland superhero type character whose sense of being an outsider rarely seems to matter emotionally, and whose defining trait appears to me to be her ability to tell people she's sorry for their loss and sound like she means it.

The voice acting of characters other than Aloy is mixed and the facial animations are very strange, with most characters not having natural 'resting' animations for their faces. The datalogs aren't particularly interesting, and are used instead of a more natural environmental storytelling (the vantages, on the other hand, are pretty great for this and I wish there was more of this kind of thing). I'm interested in finding out about Aloy's provenance but everything else about the world? I'm afraid I just don't care. The tribal nature of the Nora is hokey and lame, imo, and the lack of an engaging villain also hurts the plot significantly - it feels like Aloy has no foil.

The pacing of the story early on up until and after the Proving was fantastic, but since then it has dipped hard for me.

Anyway, the game is pretty good, I'm just surprised at how many of the open world pitfalls it has fell into, how derivative of other games it feels. It's good enough to see me to the end, though, so hopefully the game makes it worth it.

Mathieran

Banned
I'm level 23, what outfits should I aim for now?

My favorites are the Nora Protector for melee damage, the Nora stealth one, and the Oseram ranged one for when I get into trouble with humans. You can also buy the ones that have 3 mod slots, think it's Carja Silk something. I'm pretty good at avoiding most of the robots ranged attacks so I don't usually wear the environmental protection outfits.

The one thing I don't like is that I have so much money and nothing to spend it on. Got the outfits I want and nothing really to spend my dollar on! Got like 9k!

I didn't even spend much time grabbing material or shards either!

I've completed the game now and mopping up sidequests but pretty much through most of my playthrough I just wish there had been more things to buy with my copious amounts of cash.

The one thing I don't like is that I have so much money and nothing to spend it on. Got the outfits I want and nothing really to spend my dollar on! Got like 9k!

I didn't even spend much time grabbing material or shards either!

I've completed the game now and mopping up sidequests but pretty much through most of my playthrough I just wish there had been more things to buy with my copious amounts of cash.

Try to get the best very rare coils.
The ones with almost 50% of the main perk, around 20% of the secondary perk and 10% of a third perk.

They are really rare and the boxes are 1350 shards a piece.
I'm so full of very rare coils that I'm selling them, but I still only have a hand full of those best very rare coils.

"
Two side quests.

Thanks. BUt goddamn, how am I going to find them?

I'm level 23, what outfits should I aim for now?
Whatever you think looks good. For the most part I'm just in fashion souls mode these days. Running around in the desert? Carja Blaze light, snowy mountaintop? Banuk Heavy. Sometimes walk around in Carja Silks heavy, currently rocking the Shadow Carja Light set, usually running around in the medium Nora stealth set though cause I like not alerting stuff. I usually get annoyed watching a Lets Play and seeing people not in stealth gear and they just get randomly spotted.

Try to get the best very rare coils.
The ones with almost 50% of the main perk, around 20% of the secondary perk and 10% of a third perk.

They are really rare and the boxes are 1350 shards a piece.
I'm so full of very rare coils that I'm selling them, but I still only have a hand full of those best very rare coils.

"

Thanks. BUt goddamn, how am I going to find them?

Ahh ok cool will buy a few of those boxes then. At least that's something!

TsuWave

you can just go with dynamic HUD and deactivate quest. there, no markers.

also, horizon's loot system is more about getting great mods than anything else, i've had plenty "ah aha. this is a great item!" moments when looting 3 stat mods.

also aloy is definitely not dull.

Jacob4815

I
The pacing of the story early on up until and after the Proving was fantastic, but since then it has dipped hard for me.

Absolutely.
Story was great until the Proving, since that it's huge disappointment. No interesting characters and bland missions with too many audio and text logs.

alexbull_uk

Absolutely.
Story was great until the Proving, since that it's huge disappointment. No interesting characters and bland missions with too many audio and text logs.

How far in are you? I've not heard anyone say they're disappointed with the actual main quest line (which starts in Meridian).

I'm about 17 hours in, just cleared the Maker's End quest and then spent some time exploring.

I don't know, it's pretty good, but... It's not quite as good as I was expecting. When Gravity Rush 2 went on sale (EU) this morning my instinctive reaction was 'maybe I'll buy that and drop Horizon', which surprised me, as by and large I'm having a lot of fun with the game.

I mean, I'm glad I bought it. The combat feels great, enemy designs are fantastic, and the world is utterly stunning digital art. But a lot of the complaints people have with Ubiworld games that typically don't bother me too much actually bother me in this game. Some of my biggest issues would be:

The Quest markers - Constantly following a marker on the screen that never goes away, even if you turn the whole hub off. It means you never feel like you're freely exploring, that marker is always spinning away on the screen somewhere. Arrive at a new town? Expect to see 2 to 3 green arrows cluttering your screen, pretty much forcing you to go pick up those quests to get rid of that annoyance even if you're not interested in doing the quests right now. The idea that you'd find people to talk to naturally and pick up quests that way is alien to this game.

Then when you do decide that it's time to go do a quest, that unavoidable marker will make it a case of simply navigating from A to B in a rote fashion. It's the opposite of exciting. At least give me the option of using my map to navigate to my destination. Speaking of which...

The map - The map is cluttered with so many icons that it's an absolute eyesore, and makes you feel like you're not exploring the wild at all. In most open world games turning all of these icons off is the very first thing I do but you can't here. It's just a cluttered mess of warp points, activities and quest objectives, and boils them all down to points on a map. Why is the map telling me what creatures are in a location I haven't quite discovered yet? Why can't I discover that those machines are there on my own first? I really hate the way the map robs the game of a feeling of organic exploration. For example, I have never stumbled upon a cauldron without seeing it on the map first. That's really, really lame.

The inventory / crafting systems - Nothing you pick up ever feels of any real value. It feels as if the game wants getting the requisite items to trade to be as easy as possible - so easy you won't need to notice it or pay attention, you'll have picked up plenty of resources along the way. But in that case, why include it? Why force me to loot all these guys when I've never had a single 'aha, yes, one of those items' moments? It's also totally unclear what I should be selling as most of the items indicate that they are used for trading with merchants and yet I never see a use for them at merchants. As for crafting, I always have more than enough to craft almost infinite ammo and items. Yet plenty of time is spent dealing with this busywork system. Why not just give me infinite items and save me from dealing with this meaningless system?

Not only that, but the constant foraging for wood and medicine feels like busy work that just interrupts my passage through the world. Once I have enough, the intrusive markers for this stuff should disappear. Even the marker for rocks doesn't disappear when your inventory is full, you now just have red markers to contend with. Turning all of this off would be such a huge improvement.

So far almost all of my problems with the game have been UI related, honestly, but...

The story / characters - I'm just not invested in this world very much, I'm afraid. Aloy is nice but dull, and her interesting backstory has given way to a bland superhero type character whose sense of being an outsider rarely seems to matter emotionally, and whose defining trait appears to me to be her ability to tell people she's sorry for their loss and sound like she means it.

The voice acting of characters other than Aloy is mixed and the facial animations are very strange, with most characters not having natural 'resting' animations for their faces. The datalogs aren't particularly interesting, and are used instead of a more natural environmental storytelling (the vantages, on the other hand, are pretty great for this and I wish there was more of this kind of thing). I'm interested in finding out about Aloy's provenance but everything else about the world? I'm afraid I just don't care. The tribal nature of the Nora is hokey and lame, imo, and the lack of an engaging villain also hurts the plot significantly - it feels like Aloy has no foil.

Anyway, the game is pretty good, I'm just surprised at how many of the open world pitfalls it has fell into, how derivative of other games it feels. It's good enough to see me to the end, though, so hopefully the game makes it worth it.

You can deactivate the quest markers, just deactivate the active one and it will go away. I agree with filtering the map, though, most icons (the machine ones) aren't that relevant, imo.

Absolutely.

I agree but the story gets infinitely better toward the end. The story ends up being one of the best RPG stories in years. But it def suffers from pacing issues in that regard.

Griss

You can deactivate de quest markers, just deactivate your active quest and it will go away. I agree with filtering the map, though, most icons (the machine ones) aren't that relevant, imo.

Ah, fuck, don't tell me it's that simple. Just click on it again and it goes away? FUCK. I assumed you had to have at least one quest selected, or that it auto-selected. Seriously upset that I've played the last 17 hours like this. Fuck fuck fuck.

Ah, fuck, don't tell me it's that simple. Just click on it again and it goes away? FUCK. I assumed you had to have at least one quest selected, or that it auto-selected. Seriously upset that I've played the last 17 hours like this. Fuck fuck fuck.

Not your fault, IMO. They should've added an option in the hud options. It also took me a while to realize that.

Yup.
Set your hud to dynamic en disable the quest. Complete immersion :)

Skeletron

Not your fault, IMO. They should've added an option in the hud options. It also took me a while to realize that.
It is still an annoyance since every time you pickup a new quest it automatically becomes active, so you have to go deactivate it again. Easy enough to do but definitely should be a HUD option.

Well... one of them is probably Acquired Taste.
The other... have you finished the Hunting Lodge? or the Armor? Sunstone Rock? Free Heap?

I have the armor, if you mean the shield weaver.
I completed Sunstone Rock and Free Heap (Questline is called Heap Of Trouble?)
I think I have completed the hunting lodge. I have all lodge weapons and I completed all quests with my Hawk, I think.

Is there a liste somewhere with all the quests so I can go through them an see what I've missed.
Acquired Taste is one of them.

k1t4j

I have dumped 30h into this game so far, and the graphics still amaze me.

It looks ridiculously good for an open world game of this scope. It has a great amount of detail, you can go pretty much wherever you want and I have managed to find ways into top of mountains that I thought it was not possible.

It has a fantastic detail and lighting on the robots, you can destroy cactus, trees, rocks, cover and amor plate from the robots.

The story manages to be interesting, there's loads of side quests to do and places to explore.

What a fantastic game...

I also really highly recommend to deactivate enemy awareness icons. It should be an easy-mode option only, IMO lol
Stealth is so OP that half the time I'm not fighting something unless I want to. I think my rating is like 128, walked in front of a Long Leg 3ft away, ducked into some bushes afterwards and he didn't even know what happened.

vivekTO

I got spoiled and now I feel sad. :( someone put a huge end game spoiler as a title.

I got you!!

yBzpnr4.gif

Venture

Stealth is so OP that half the time I'm not fighting something unless I want to. I think my rating is like 128, walked in front of a Long Leg 3ft away, ducked into some bushes afterwards and he didn't even know what happened.
Did they nerf the stealth outfits a bit? My heavy Nora Silent Hunter with 15% and 16% mods has a rating of 77 now. I could've sworn it used to be higher. Maybe over 100.

Did they nerf the stealth outfits a bit? My heavy Nora Silent Hunter with 15% and 16% mods has a rating of 77 now. I could've sworn it used to be higher. Maybe over 100.
Maybe, the last time I played was before the most recent patch and I think that was my exact combination, which I'm going to miss if that's the case cause I loved sneaking past Stalkers in their jungle area.

BigDug13

How do you get your rating to 128? I think stealth armor is 50 and you can slot 2 50% stealth modules. Is there something else I'm missing?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom