• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon Zero Dawn: What they didn't show at the conference + Interview (PS Access)

It's mentioned somewhere there will be melee combat. Also, there's no way you're only fighting animal robots in this game. With multiple tribes in the world, human enemy seems very likely.

I guess I'm still hoping that this game won't just be a third person shooter, but does the fact that they specify that Aloy's class is machine huntress imply that there might be other classes?

I really hope they focus on gameplay first. Seems like killzone were always graphics first, everything else second.

Really hope they don't make that mistake again.
Interview with Shu mention that the game has been playable state for a year, the team want to get playable state early and continue reiterating so the moment to moment gameplay is great

EGOMON

FIVE HUNDRED AND FIFTY THOUSAND POLYGONS!?

That's more polygons than any moving object in any game ever isn't it!?

And that's just one enemy in the game...
This^
I don't think people realize how massive is that just for reference The Order character poly count was just over 100k iirc

fedexpeon

Banned
Same reason I will likely be crying through every second of Trico, I can feel more for animals (robots or otherwise) than humans lol

Are you serious?
You are saying that if you see someone dies in front of you that you will be more indifferent or less emotional invested than a dead pigeon?

And for gaming, it is easier to kill a person but not a robo-dino due to lack of emotional ties to the human race?

Imru’ al-Qays;169528252 said:
I guess I'm still hoping that this game won't just be a third person shooter, but does the fact that they specify that Aloy's class is machine huntress imply that there might be other classes?
I think that's just her job in the story, other article I read just said she's a hunter.

Also apparently she's some kind of an outcast in her tribe. Probably something happen in the story early on that make her go travel.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
That makes it a great RPG. Let's hope it is more DD or witcher and less fallout or skyrim.
They've cited Dragon's Dogma as an inspiration according to some other enthusiast press outlet that recollected the behind the scenes talk.

Imru’ al-Qays;169530026 said:
Dragon's Dogma had nine classes with distinct playstyles.
Yeah, that is extremely unlikely to happen in this game based on them saying this is a singleplayer only game and Aloy is the protagonist.

This is a game about a person with a bow shooting robotic creatures with RPG elements such as crafting and quests.

Daingurse

They namedropped Monster Hunter, Dragon Dogma, and Binary Domain as inspiration.

I wonder if the Binary Domain name-drop is related to the amount of feedback the robot enemies in that game gave. They were extremely fun to shoot because shit would just start falling off them as you fought. Having enemies that give satisfying feedback would be great.

Squalor

I wonder if the Binary Domain name-drop is related to the amount of feedback the robot enemies in that game gave. They were extremely fun to shoot because shit would just start falling off them as you fought. Having enemies that give satisfying feedback would be great.
It's a possibility. The developer said you have to be careful how you attack the enemies because you can destroy their parts/materials, which you will need for looting.

I was hoping binary domain namedrop is for npc party member.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
It's a possibility. The developer said you have to be careful how you attack the enemies because you can destroy their parts/materials, which you will need for looting.
Interesting.

I always found it a bit weird in Monster Hunter, how you'd need to, for example, smash and break a monster's horn with a giant hammer to have a better chance of a drop of... its horn. Cutting the tail off to carve the tail part, sure. But breaking the horn to get the horn? Wut? xD It's not a big deal and just an amusing "gamey" thing, but yeah it's not very logical.

Interesting.

I always found it a bit weird in Monster Hunter, how you'd need to, for example, smash and break a monster's horn with a giant hammer to have a better chance of a drop of... its horn. Cutting the tail off to carve the tail part, sure. But breaking the horn to get the horn? Wut? xD It's not a big deal and just an amusing "gamey" thing, but yeah it's not very logical.
In the demo, you shoot the green liquid canister to make them drop the canister.

Kevyt

FIVE HUNDRED AND FIFTY THOUSAND POLYGONS!?

That's more polygons than any moving object in any game ever isn't it!?

And that's just one enemy in the game...

IT'S OVER 9,000!!

Amazing. Horizon being open world and having such NPC with that polygon count running on the PS4 is simply amazing.

What dark magic is GG using?

IT'S OVER 9,000!!

Amazing. Horizon being open world and having such NPC with that polygon count running on the PS4 is simply amazing.

METAL MAGIC

I'm hyped to see a sunrise / sunset in the game. Hopefully they go nuts with the skyboxes. Especially at night. So many games have disappointing night skyboxes.

Night skies look like this

night-sky_1-jpg.jpg

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
IT'S OVER 9,000!!

I guess having generic PC parts doesn't diminish the power they can bring out of the PS4 working at that spec. Its all about that closed box i suppose.

Its 1080p apparently and looks pretty clean already. The only defects i saw in the trailer were background pop in of trees, which they can hopefully clean up by release

IcyEyes

Playstation Access just uploaded those two videos for Horizon Zero Dawn.

Interview:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D_p4u8xIQxo

What they didn't show at the conference:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gdGgeGY6nLc

- The Thunderjaw has 550k polygons.
- It has 93 plates of armor that can be attacked individually.
- It has two major weak points, the "power core" in the heart, & "AI Core" in the head.
- The game is "very much an RPG".
- You can "quick craft" arrow heads for the bow.
- There's towns, villages, & quests.
- Crafting is a major component of the game.
- The game is targeting 2016.
- The combat is described as "tactical".
- Every single location seen in the trailer is explorable.
- The RPG elements will not slow down the combat.
- Aloy's "job" is a machine huntress.
- The "Combat" & "RPG" are both very big parts of the game.

A lot of that is old info, but there's some new info as well.

Everything sounds pretty exciting and yeah, 550k poly for one model is pretty awesome.

Are you serious?
You are saying that if you see someone dies in front of you that you will be more indifferent or less emotional invested than a dead pigeon?

And for gaming, it is easier to kill a person but not a robo-dino due to lack of emotional ties to the human race?

Given the amount of dead bodies I've seen in real life is decidedly deficient to form an opinion.

Its similar as to why I dislike hunting. Yes it can and will feed people. Yes there are times when one needs to defend themselves, the dino's in the trailer being a case of this. But slaughtering a grazing animal (dino/robot whatever) and shooting someone who is actively shooting/attempting to kill me are two different things.

In gaming.

Well fuck, "targeting" 2016 almost certainly means delay into 2017.

Not really. Just means if things go as planned it will release in 20016, but they won't release until it's ready. Sony seems to have made a conscious decision to not push games out early any more. This IP has too much potential to fuck it up by releasing by some mandatory date.

Raide

If this game turns out to be an interesting mix of Monster Hunter and Sc-fi and also more than about 8 hours of gameplay, I will probably buy a PS4 for it. Loving the overall style but I need to see a bit more in the coming months.

Sirim

It got old during the E3 gameplay. I kept wishing she'd shut up.

Maybe it was just increased for presentation's sake, though. At the least, hopefully there's a setting.
She could've passed as a Pawn in Dragon's Dogma. Doesn't help that the voice acting wasn't too great.

It will be like FC or ME.
Arrow skill tree, aim/bow skill tree, spear tree, stats tree.
I hope it isn't anything like FO though.

Nothing wrong with it because in the end, you will be killing robo-dino to create badass shit.
I am more interest in the hunting and crafting element since RPG is almost in every genre and game now.
Idk what ME is like but hearing its like FC is disappointing.

RPG is in almost every genre, yes, but its almost always a bastardization; leveling up equipment is only one facet of RPG mechanics. It'll be a shame if Aloy herself doesn't have a stat screen. Thats what I want.

METAL MAGIC

I'm hyped to see a sunrise / sunset in the game. Hopefully they go nuts with the skyboxes. Especially at night. So many games have disappointing night skyboxes.

Night skies look like this

night-sky_1-jpg.jpg
I agree...especially since the game looks to take place in a world with little to no electricity that could cause light pollution. Let's hope they use the opportunity to create some truly beautiful night skies!!!

Top Bottom