• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

House Intelligence Russia Probe Now Investigating Cambridge Analytica

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
https://www.thedailybeast.com/russi...dge-analytica-trumps-psychographic-data-gurus

A data firm backed by some of Donald Trump’s closest allies is now facing scrutiny as part of an investigation into possible collusion between the president’s team and Russian operatives, The Daily Beast has learned.

The House Permanent Select Committee on Intelligence (HPSCI) is looking at Cambridge Analytica’s work for President Donald Trump’s campaign as part of its investigation into Russian efforts to meddle in the 2016 race, according to sources familiar with the probe.

The company is in the process of turning over documents to HPSCI, according to a source familiar with the committee’s work. Another source close to the investigation said that the probe’s focus on Cambridge Analytica is “fruitful.”

2-Home-Alone-2-Lost-in-New-York-quotes.jpg

NHale

I wonder if Brexit will happen to be caught in this investigation as well.

If you want to build a case against CA, you can't ignore the ties between US and UK politicians via CA......

Shard

XBLAnnoyance

If you want to build a case against CA, you can't ignore the ties between US and UK politicians via CA......

From the article:

The congressional inquiry is not the only one Cambridge Analytica is facing. The UK Information Commissioner, Britain’s privacy watchdog, in March began examining the firm’s role in the successful 2016 push to persuade British voters to “Brexit” the European Union. But Cambridge has said it never actually advised the Leave.eu campaign beyond initial discussions, despite Leave.eu’s own statements that the firm “will be helping us map the British electorate and what they believe in, enabling us to better engage with voters.”

In May, the Guardian’s Sunday Observer reported that Cambridge Analytica and its UK affiliate SCL––which owns 10 percent of Cambridge Analytica to Mercer’s 90 percent––have worked in Russia, Lithuania, Latvia, Ukraine, Iran and Moldova.

WhatNXt

They were massively influential in the Leave campaign. Very interested to see what kind of backers and dealings CA have

androvsky

It's the House Intel Committee though. The same one headed up by fucking Devin Nunes. :/

That's why they leak like crazy, it's the only way anything they gather will be useful. This and Facebook opening up about the free posts from the Russian accounts should make for an interesting week.

Jeremy

That's why they leak like crazy, it's the only way anything they gather will be useful. This and Facebook opening up about the free posts from the Russian accounts should make for an interesting week.

Link? I may have already seen this and missed the part about free posts.

nvm on the second part

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
BOOOM!!!

This is the one I've been waiting for. it's the glue that ties everyone together and always has been.

Almost certainly evidence that Mueller has already been arms deep in their effluent for months. House is always a day late and a dollar short.

With all the news of Russian micro-targeting across social media, this was only a matter of time.

And wasn't Jared Kushner considered the brains behind the Trump campaign's data operation?

Whoops.

avaya

BOOOM!!!

This is the one I've been waiting for. it's the glue that ties everyone together and always has been.

Almost certainly evidence that Mueller has already been arms deep in their effluent for months. House is always a day late and a dollar short.

I'm intrigued, how do you mean?

A House Intelligence Commitee with little actual intelligence.

These things are a dog and pony show but maybe something interesting will leak.

androvsky

Link? I may have already seen this and missed the part about free posts.

nvm on the second part

Can you sum up the free post thing?

Sorry, I thought the other thread had more traction.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1446458

Rep. Adam Schiff, the top Democrat on the House Intelligence Committee, said Wednesday that Facebook is "committed to providing" information related to the free content published by the same Russian pages that bought 3,000 ads focused on divisive issues before and after the election. A second source close to the situation confirmed Facebook had committed to providing the information.

Why it matters: The ads bought by the pages were one half of the puzzle. The "organic" content posted by the pages — and information on who saw and engaged with it — is the other. Some believe those posts may have been seen by far more people than the estimated 10 million that Facebook says viewed the ads.

NHale

I'm intrigued, how do you mean?

This is the part where it gets revealed how Cambridge Analytica manipulated the Brexit and US election via targeted advertisement towards every registered voters with a social media account and how they keep track of all your personal opinions, purchases and anything you do online that helps them create your ID and how you were leaning to vote.

What they did? In the US election they created 4 big groups of registered voters, those that would always vote Hillary, those that would always vote Trump and undecided towards Trump and undecided towards Hillary and created a constant stream of social media posts in your feed that tried to lead voters to either not show up because Hillary already won, that 3rd party was a good option because Trump was evil but Hillary wasn't a saint either, how to rile up Trump base into believing fake news and polls were faked to try to make you not going to vote because they wanted to manipulate you and the memes and lies towards undecided voters leaning Trump to make them make the final jump and not go 3rd party.

Kushner didn't do anything. He's completely worthless and couldn't create anything remotely like this. Cambridge Analytica did this because they are creating this system for years.

Interesting:

Daily Beast said:
The congressional inquiry is not the only one Cambridge Analytica is facing. The UK Information Commissioner, Britain’s privacy watchdog, in March began examining the firm’s role in the successful 2016 push to persuade British voters to “Brexit” the European Union. But Cambridge has said it never actually advised the Leave.eu campaign beyond initial discussions, despite Leave.eu’s own statements that the firm “will be helping us map the British electorate and what they believe in, enabling us to better engage with voters.”

Would it be that surprising?
Nope

Vice said:
The SimilarWeb traffic data shows that from February through July, 8chan was the ninth-largest source of referral traffic for Trump's website, clocking in at about 2.3 percent of all such traffic. This puts it just below Breitbart.com (whose CEO is now Trump's campaign chief) and a few places above the Washington Post and New York Times.

By comparison, SimilarWeb data shows Hillary Clinton's top five referrers include CNN, hillaryspeeches.com, the Drudge Report and the video gaming forum NeoGAF.

WhatNXt

Good. Palantir next?

For some background (with a tinfoil bent tbh) reading : https://www.theguardian.com/technol...eat-british-brexit-robbery-hijacked-democracy

You say tinfoil bent, but I believe quite a lot of it

I can't express how badly I want to see feds and police on both sides of the pond busting down doors and carting people off to prison. CA would say they do nothing wrong, they exploit readily available data, but when you see the web of interconnected interests acting in unison like this, something ain't right. The kind of money we're talking about, the kind of political motives behind that money.. the people deserve to know and dole out consequences.

Top Bottom