• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

'Trump dossier' (Christopher Steele) on Russia links now part of Mueller's probe

I think this leaked because the Senate Intelligence Committee said today they'd hit a wall with the Dossier. This might just be to reassure people it's not a dead end.

antonz

So with what the Senate Intel committee saying they've hit a wall what does that mean for Mueller? What is the wall they speak of? Is it a constitutional crisis that is stopping them? I'm trying to parse what it all means right now.

By Most accounts The Congress played the spook the spook card and showed up at his company etc. saying come speak to congress. It was a very basic move to cause Steele to be apprehensive and in all likelihood refuse. Congress was far more aggressive than they needed to be with him.

Mueller and his people probably did things through channels that would not be so unusual and were reassuring to Steele.

Is anyone else troubled that Mueller's apparently just now looking into this? This shit should've been week 1.

The thing about the dossier is its contents reveal themselves through the normal means of the investigation. They have been able to determine who sources are etc. just by doing their thing. If anything they want to use that as a secondary influence rather than basing their investigation solely on it as the defense will be its a hit piece by political operatives.

giphy.gif

Nekofrog

Banned
Is that your take away?

I'm saying that it sets a bad example for the IC to oust a President, and if he's not ousted it still hurts out democracy.

I think everyone is so gung ho about rushing this dude to prison when it's like there are consequences to this.

Consequences? Like literal treason? Betraying ones country to it's enemies? Those consequences?

I feel like when Mueller finally comes out and subpoenas Trump I wont need to read it in the news. I'll just feel a disturbance in the force and will just know it.

Jeremy

Can anyone link me to the story or person who said the assumed result of this is going to be a constitutional crisis? I remember the thread and even asking about what they could possibly mean by this.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Burr said on Wednesday that the Senate panel had made several attempts to contact Steele and to meet him and “those offers have gone unaccepted.”

“The committee cannot really decide the credibility of the dossier without understanding things like who paid for it, who are your sources and sub-sources,” Burr said.

Prepare yourselves for disappointment.

Random Human

They were trying to grab your prize. They work for the mercenary. The masked man.
Is anyone else troubled that Mueller's apparently just now looking into this? This shit should've been week 1.
It’s never clear if these “Mueller is looking into X” stories are happing in real time or if they’re strategic leaks after the fact. Either way, despite how much we all like to joke about the piss tape, Mueller is pretty clearly more interested in following the money, which you have to figure is much easier to prove.

HariKari

Prepare yourselves for disappointment.

How'd you read the article and miss that Steele has already met with the FBI? The congressional investigations are just a dog and pony show, there's no upside to dealing with them. Everything is riding on the FBI and Mueller investigation.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
How'd you read the article and miss that Steele has already met with the FBI? The congressional investigations are just a dog and pony show, there's no upside to dealing with them. Everything is riding on the FBI and Mueller investigation.

That's why you should prepare for disappointment.

Relative disappointment, to be more specific.

cameron

By Most accounts The Congress played the spook the spook card and showed up at his company etc. saying come speak to congress. It was a very basic move to cause Steele to be apprehensive and in all likelihood refuse. Congress was far more aggressive than they needed to be with him.

Mueller and his people probably did things through channels that would not be so unusual and were reassuring to Steele.

As a reminder, bit from The Guardian:
Two US congressional staffers who travelled to London in July and tried to contact former British intelligence officer Christopher Steele were sent by a longstanding aide to Devin Nunes, the chairman of the House intelligence committee and a close ally of the White House.

The trip has brought back to the surface a continuing struggle for control of the committee’s investigation into Moscow’s role in the 2016 US election. The reliability of a dossier compiled by Steele, containing explosive allegations of extensive secret collusion between Trump and the Kremlin, is a key part of that investigation.

The two staffers turned up unannounced at Steele’s lawyers’ offices while the former MI6 officer was in the building, according to a report by Politico on Friday. But the committee’s leading Democrat, Adam Schiff, said on Sunday neither he nor his Republican counterpart had been informed about the staffers’ London trip.

HariKari

That's why you should prepare for disappointment.

Relative disappointment, to be more specific.

We should prepare for disappointment because Steele refuses to cooperate with a sham investigation and has instead chosen to work exclusively with the intelligence agencies and the FBI (and therefore Mueller)? Do you even understand the argument you are making?

I like to look at it this way (assuming that he indeed just started looking at the dossier now):

Mueller was able to conduct a comprehensive investigation even without the dossier. He's hired, what, 20 investigators and prosecutors by now? The dossier is probably just icing on the cake for him at this point.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
We should prepare for disappointment because Steele refuses to cooperate with a sham investigation and has instead chosen to work exclusively with the intelligence agencies and the FBI (and therefore Mueller)? Do you even understand the argument you are making?

Yes.

Extollere

Sucks at poetry

Hasn't it been communicated, on more than one occasion, that this investigation is still in its infancy? People keep saying "hurry up Mueller!" but I think we're looking at another year or two before we start hearing about it wrapping up. I'd love to be wrong though.

When this is all said and done, what punishment do you guys think Russia is gonna get and how would we prevent them from doing this stuff again?

Knoxcore

Troubled? No. Mueller is the absence of worry. Mueller is hope.

I feel too many people are relying on...rather...assume that Mueller will bring some sort of indictment or charges against Trump himself. I think we need to take a measured approach here.

Mr Swine

Banned
Hate to burst your fantasy, but they can't charge anyone with treason in this case since we're not at war with Russia.

So even if they find out that Trump has been working with Russia he can safely sit as the president and then rerun for a second term?

So even if they find out that Trump has been working with Russia he can safely sit as the president and then rerun for a second term?

Best case I think is probably espionage related.

He's probably going down with a pile of money laundering and racketeering charges.

Isak_Borg

It's also a bad precedent when the President uses stolen and hacked intelligence to swing an election. I was fine with the Watergate investigation contributing to Nixon's ouster, and if Trump's found to have perverted the electoral process, then he can get kicked out, too.

I'm totally with you and why I said it's a no win situation for American democracy.

As a Puerto Rican whose family lost their homes because of Maria I want this individual to face the harshest punishment possible, having said that I also worry about the precedent it sets.

Not that Trump didn't do anything wrong but that we have opened the door for witch hunts that will escalate in nature.

And for everyone else, YES we are damaged goods but damn do I not believe in this country and what is possible. I say that as a person of color who really thinks this American experiment can work.

antonz

Working with the Russian Government to undermine and ultimately disrupt the Election process of the United States to gain Power would certainly qualify as waging war against the United States or at a minimum its second possibility Adhering to the enemies of the United States.

If they nail his ass to the wall its going to be on a number of financial issues I am sure though to avoid semantics

HariKari

Not that Trump didn't do anything wrong but that we have opened the door for witch hunts that will escalate in nature.

It's not a witch hunt if there's a massive pile of evidence. The reason this will take so long is that it needs to be airtight and it involves taking down a presidency.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Can you expand on it

The hope of an eventual impeachment that many hope for as a result of this is a much more implausible outcome than can be expected from what the public currently knows about the situation. It's overvalued, so that even if it does result in a win of some fashion, it will be disappointing relative to the expectation.

There are also the unknowns currently at play, but given the past pattern of wishful thinking that I've observed over the years, I'm not holding my breath.

It’s never clear if these “Mueller is looking into X” stories are happing in real time or if they’re strategic leaks after the fact. Either way, despite how much we all like to joke about the piss tape, Mueller is pretty clearly more interested in following the money, which you have to figure is much easier to prove.
Yeah. Just last week, for example, we got the news that Mueller met with Pence's lawyer back in June. I think it's clear this story came out now in response to today's Senate Intel update, but I wouldn't assume much about when Mueller took over that aspect of the investigation.

The thing about the dossier is its contents reveal themselves through the normal means of the investigation. They have been able to determine who sources are etc. just by doing their thing. If anything they want to use that as a secondary influence rather than basing their investigation solely on it as the defense will be its a hit piece by political operatives.

Let's not forget that Christopher Steele went into hiding after the dossier became public knowledge in fear of his life. Not the hassle of publicity or inquiries, he apparently believed foreign actors would come after him and his family.

This is a former intelligence professional with connections in all branches of the Russian security apparatus. He's not a paranoid nutjob.

The ridiculously public and heavy handed ways US Congress approached him would have made him an even bigger target.

I'm sure Mueller is going about this in a way that doesn't compromise him and the people close to him.

Extollere

Sucks at poetry
Working with the Russian Government to undermine and ultimately disrupt the Election process of the United States to gain Power would certainly qualify as waging war against the United States or at a minimum its second possibility Adhering to the enemies of the United States.

If they nail his ass to the wall its going to be on a number of financial issues I am sure though to avoid semantics

It's a super star team of some of the best lawyers and prosecutors around. I'm sure they're building the strongest case they can, but IMO... I really do hope they get him on some enemies of the States kinda shit. I hope it's as unambiguous as possible. If it comes down to finances, well then so be it. But I really do want him to be judged by history as a criminal for helping to undermine our democracy, and the Republican party shamed for a generation for allowing this to happen.

pigeon

Banned
Didn't say Trump was a witch hunt saying we have opened that door where Republicans can now instigate events like this, but you could argue this all started with Bill Clinton and Newt Gingrich.

Let me tell you a story about a little town called Benghazi.

Top Bottom