• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

'Trump dossier' (Christopher Steele) on Russia links now part of Mueller's probe

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-trump-russia-dossier/trump-dossier-on-russia-links-now-part-of-special-counsels-probe-sources-idUSKBN1C92WN?feedType=RSS&feedName=topNews&utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=Social

he special counsel investigating whether Russia tried to sway the 2016 U.S. election has taken over FBI inquiries into a former British spy’s dossier of allegations of Russian financial and personal links to President Donald Trump’s campaign and associates, sources familiar with the inquiry told Reuters.
----------------------------------------------------

Three sources with knowledge of Mueller’s probe said his investigators have assumed control of multiple inquiries into allegations by U.S. intelligence agencies that Russia interfered in the election to benefit Trump, a Republican.

Muellers coming for you

Mueller to Trump

source.gif

So with what the Senate Intel committee saying they've hit a wall what does that mean for Mueller? What is the wall they speak of? Is it a constitutional crisis that is stopping them? I'm trying to parse what it all means right now.

JC Lately

I'm trying not to get excited about this, as everything I've ever really wanted in life has come with some horrible downside and I really don't want to jinx this for the rest of the country.

Surfinn

So with what the House Intel committee saying they've hit a wall what does that mean for Mueller? What is the wall they speak of? Is it a constitutional crisis that is stopping them? I'm trying to parse what it all means right now.

Sounds like they needed info from Steele himself and they were denied that cooperation. Which hopefully means he went straight to Mueller instead and is providing all he can.

Zolo

Sounds like they needed info from Steele himself and they were denied that cooperation. Which hopefully means he went straight to Mueller instead and is providing all he can.

Yeah. The thing about providing sources is that the person needs to make sure they're protected.

norm9

So with what the Senate Intel committee saying they've hit a wall what does that mean for Mueller? What is the wall they speak of? Is it a constitutional crisis that is stopping them? I'm trying to parse what it all means right now.

Sounds like those that should be bringing up articles of impeachment are too busy trying to cram through their tax cuts. Or, those people are directly involved and they aren't talking.

Isak_Borg

I hope this orange turd goes to jail just like everyone else here but is anyone thinking about the consequences to our democracy where the intelligence community ousters a president?

Isn't that a step away from them dictating who runs the state?

I think there is a lot of glad handing without thinking of the long term consequences of something like this, it's a no win situation because Russia has done irreparable harm to our democracy no matter what the outcome.

This just isn't about Trump but the idea that American democracy was the example the free world looked to for guidance and that is now lost, our standing is diminished, and we no longer have the moral high ground.

#sad

norm9

I hope this orange turd goes to jail just like everyone else here but is anyone thinking about the consequences to our democracy where the intelligence community ousters a president?

Isn't that a step away from them dictating how runs the state?

I think there is a lot of glad handing without thinking of the long term consequences of something like this, it's a no win situation because Russia has done irreparable harm to our democracy no matter what the outcome.

This just isn't about Trump but the idea that American democracy was the example the free world looked to for guidance and that is now lost, our standing is diminished, and we no longer have the moral high ground.

#sad

It's the first step in repairing this broken ass country. Can't move forward without it.

Feep

Banned

#sad
The consequences to our democracy when a person who committed treason goes to jail for it?

Uh, okay.

Isak_Borg

The consequences to our democracy when a person who committed treason goes to jail for it?

Uh, okay.

Is that your take away?

I'm saying that it sets a bad example for the IC to oust a President, and if he's not ousted it still hurts out democracy.

I think everyone is so gung ho about rushing this dude to prison when it's like there are consequences to this.

le.phat

#sad

When a reality-TV star can become your president, you're already through the looking glass.

Also, the free world hasn't been looking at the US for guidance for the longest of time. The free world might enjoy having a big bulky dumb brother to throw around muscle if needed, but your democracy has been on a path of self-descruction for decades now. Be grateful that the system isn't broken to the point where an absolute mongrel like trump and his band of cronies are untouchable and can't be held accountable for the irreparable harm they have done to your fellow countrymen.

I thought it did touch his eye, I was sure it was a glass eye but maybe I'm wrong it's been like 7/8 years since I last watched the film.

It did. He tips his glass eye with the knife (it makes an audible sound) to freak someone out (maybe the DiCaprio character, can't remember anymore).

Um the President will oust himself by committing illegal acts?

Intelligence community job is to protect the country.

What does the next step of this investigation look like actually? Would they call a press conference? Would they actually make arrests unannounced? I'm just unfamiliar with this process.

pigeon

Banned
Is that your take away?

I'm saying that it sets a bad example for the IC to oust a President, and if he's not ousted it still hurts out democracy.

I think everyone is so gung ho about rushing this dude to prison when it's like there are consequences to this.

The IC can't oust the president. They would reveal criminal acts he committed, and Congress would then impeach him.

What exactly do you think should happen, if not that?

Geist-

I thought it did touch his eye, I was sure it was a glass eye but maybe I'm wrong it's been like 7/8 years since I last watched the film.
Oh, you're right. It's been too long since I've watched it, now I'm just wondering if the tip is cgi or if DDL got the tip really close to his eye with an added sound effect.

#sad

American democracy hasn't been example to non US people for a long long time.

Dr.Acula

Banned
Is that your take away?

It's also a bad precedent when the President uses stolen and hacked intelligence to swing an election. I was fine with the Watergate investigation contributing to Nixon's ouster, and if Trump's found to have perverted the electoral process, then he can get kicked out, too.

#sad

It would be a sign that checks and balances work that no individual within the government is bigger than the government as a whole.

Is that your take away?

It wouldn't be the IC ousting the President though. Ultimately, it's down to Congress to proceed with an impeachment and that's how it should be from a constitutional standpoint (the legislative overseeing the executive).

However, it goes without saying that the fact that the current Congress is responsible for overseeing the President and step in if necessary fills me with dread and despair for entirely different reasons.

HariKari

Having every arm of the government watching out for this sort of thing has always been the plan and intended. We've just never needed to go this far before. Trump not being brought to justice and all the dirty laundry not aired is a far, far greater threat to our democracy. They can only ouster him with cause.

Top Bottom