• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How 2014 Japanese games sold on Steam

It would be better to see good visual novels do well.
That game is absolute trash and the translation is awful.

well, someone needs to get the Zero Escape games onto steam already. Hell, i'll take a dangaropapopo too, just stuff that's not so heavy on the fan service and with stories worth reading through.

I'll take the Ace Attorney games, too, but for whatever reason Capcom is really weird about how it handles those games.

Rand6

So FROM must be weeping about Bloodborne exclusivity right around now right?

Thats almost a million sales they are letting go by not releasing on PC.

Sony is helping them with making the game and marketing. I'm sure FromSoftware is happy :)

ezodagrom

Noticed some games are listed in the wrong place in the chart, for example Naruto Revolution, where it's sitting in the table, it has the developer and publisher for The Culling Of The Cows, while that game has the developer and publisher for Naruto, so I'm thinking the number of players in the culling of the cows listing may actually be for naruto (196,775 owners).
There may be several others like that, though a bit too busy to check atm.

I don't think LR release will be affected, but I do think that the drop off might have more to do with the bad port of 13 rather than the "bad rep" of 13.

I think it has to do with both.
Plus, 13-2 also had problems with the best sellers chart on Steam... it didn't appeared due to a glitch.

I'm not a PC gamer but these are some really positive numbers all round. I definitely think, going forward, niche Japanese games on consoles should include a PC SKU rather than just PS4/Vita like they usually do. I know it's not as simple as that since SKUs cost money, but there's clearly a market which Japanese developers should take advantage of. PC gamers are among some of the most 'hardcore' after all.

baterism

VC literally came out at the end of the year with barely any advertising outside of people going nuts on Twitter. It did pretty well considering that fact.

We should really consider tweeting this list to the PR accounts of some Japanese publishers. It might give some people who are willing to push for some franchises getting localized & ported over here some ammo to sway the stodgy execs.

Yeah, VC and most of those games basically old games without any advertising except from Steam pop-up and some articles. VC 2 and 3 really need to happen. To whom should I send my prayer to? Seeeeggaaaaa!!!!

I was most interested in this but forgot it wouldn't be counted for 2014. Hoping IFI gets enough money/interest to start localizing non-game merch and fully voice acting all future Neptunia games. I don't understand how the spinoffs are fully voiced and reb 1 is 80% silent, reb 2 40% silent. Also gonna need better limited editions

Only English VA that not full right? I played it on Japanese, I didn't notice any non-voiced part.

Agarest: Generations of War: 138,622
Idea Factory should be really happy with that number. The game was... so-so and appeared pretty low-budget imho.

I'm not a PC gamer but these are some really positive numbers all round. I definitely think, going forward, niche Japanese games on consoles should include a PC SKU rather than just PS4/Vita like they usually do. I know it's not as simple as that since SKUs cost money, but there's clearly a market which Japanese developers should take advantage of. PC gamers are among some of the most 'hardcore' after all.

This. I'm exclusively PC gamer, but I'm not under illusion that PC would have enough pull to save a rather niche JRPG devs alone. If the pubs/devs think Japanese console market can't sustain the genre, why not combine console sales and PC sales from the whole world? Going multi-plat to minimize risk.

Ninja Dom

Half a million combined Metal Slug 3 & Metal Slug X sales!!!

Superb considering their age and content and that emulating these games on PC can't be difficult.

Noticed some games are listed in the wrong place in the chart, for example Naruto Revolution, where it's sitting in the table, it has the developer and publisher for The Culling Of The Cows, while that game has the developer and publisher for Naruto, so I'm thinking the number of players in the culling of the cows listing may actually be for naruto (196,775 owners).
There may be several others like that, though a bit too busy to check atm.

Trails in the Sky lists SOE as the developer and publisher but City of Steam: Arkadia, which is right above Trails, lists Falcom as the developer and Xseed as the publisher.

Rising sold so well that it annoys me that MGSV isn't coming day one on PC too, I know it's only two weeks but I don't think I'll be able to wait.

Rising sold so well that it annoys me that MGSV isn't coming day one on PC too, I know it's only two weeks but I don't think I'll be able to wait.

Think about it: Rising sold so well it's the reason why we're getting MGSV in the first place.
Also, 2 weeks is to be fair not that much... reasonnable people could've expected 6 months.

Sakura

You would be wondering why isn't Capcom trying...

well, someone needs to get the Zero Escape games onto steam already. Hell, i'll take a dangaropapopo too, just stuff that's not so heavy on the fan service and with stories worth reading through.

I'll take the Ace Attorney games, too, but for whatever reason Capcom is really weird about how it handles those games.

Seems like a missed opportunity really. I mean, they're already translated. They probably would take that much time or manpower to port (for the VNs without gameplay at least). Throw Phoenix Wright on there for 5~10 bucks and I'm sure they'd get 100,000 sales out of it.

Wasn't Clannad or Steins;Gate or something coming to Steam?

Those Trails in the Sky sales really warm my heart. I'm glad to see a variety of Japanese games selling well on Steam. Hopefully we'll continue to see great Japanese games on the platform.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Think about it: Rising sold so well it's the reason why we're getting MGSV in the first place.
Also, 2 weeks is to be fair not that much... reasonnable people could've expected 6 months.

Rising's numbers are kind of astonishing given how this isn't exactly the healthiest genre in the world these days either.

Awesome to see games like Trails and VC do those numbers but I can't help but think that they should be higher.
It's a shame to see such a big drop from FFXIII to XIII-2 considering the latter is the superior game by far.
Revengeance and Dark Souls 2 did very well, so happy to see that.

Rising's numbers are kind of astonishing given how this isn't exactly the healthiest genre in the world these days either.

Indeed. And to be fair, I think Ground Zeroes' numbers also are impressive considering it's less than a month... I wouldn't be surprised if it sold more than, let's say, Xbox 360 version.

And the only ninja gaiden game on PC is Yaiba. Someone at koei tecmo needs to get their shit together, if the vita has two mainline ninja gaiden games and steam has 0 then someone over there is sleeping on the job.

Orayn

I'm so happy that Dark Souls has found a home on PC. From Software discovered a new audience that buys nearly as many copies of their games as either established console.

LX_Theo

Banned
The true hero of this story.

Good to see visual novels doing well

Meh. VNs as a genre shine much better on portables. Just work better to be able to carry them around and jump in and out of them as I need to, imo. VNs on PC have never been able to grab me in the same way.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Considering this includes retail activations, those numbers are off for games like ours. Interesting to check out all the same.

Tizoc

That Metal Slug 3 O_O
Can i get a high five?
tarma-laugh.gif

Can i get a high five!

The fact that Half-minute Hero 2 was missing probably means we don't want to know how much it sold. Shame, because I had a good time with it.

Same here, honestly one of my absolute favorite games of 2014. I'm hoping it did well but it's probably one of those games that's doomed to failure. =(

Durante

Considering this includes retail activations, those numbers are off for games like ours. Interesting to check out all the same.
Do you mean "off" as in "not accurately representing only Steam sales", but rather sales across all distribution methods that can be activated on Steam, or completely off?

Producer

Meh. VNs as a genre shine much better on portables. Just work better to be able to carry them around and jump in and out of them as I need to, imo. VNs on PC have never been able to grab me in the same way.

the thing is there are so few localized VNs on portables. With PC you have the option of fan translations. And even then, there are already a good number of localized VNs, with much more coming over this year. PC is the platform for VNs, hell Clannad raised half a million alone on kickstarter.

TronLight

Everybody is Mikkelsexual
How do sales compare to consoles? Especially for those more niche titles that "pc players aren't interested in".

Pretty good numbers, these devs must be happy. Seems like a no brainer to port japanese games to PC. A lot of stuff that shouldn't be too expensive to port over would probably do good enough as well, like the Ace Attorney games and Danganronpa.

FFXIII to XIII-2 drop was expected, same as the console versions and really, that's Square's fault, a lot of people don't care if the second game is superior if they got tired of the first.

Dark Souls 2 sales are incredible, it's a shame that the rising in popularity of these games was soon after met with the exclusivity of Bloodborne, but what can a guy do. Almost 200k for Ground Zeroes is pretty decent as well, considering it's the first MGS on PC in ages and the game was very criticized for it's length. Almost 500k for Rising... Konami has to be happy with the PC market so far. Keep showing the love and we'll keep throwing the money.

Opiate

You have to actively turn on privacy, so I'd imagine the vast majority.

You could make a selection bias case, though. That is, it's possible that private accounts have more games than average, as only active users would even think of turning on privacy in the first place.

Ambition

I'm so happy that Dark Souls has found a home on PC. From Software discovered a new audience that buys nearly as many copies of their games as either established console.

Well to be fair, a lot of those numbers come from some pretty high discounts.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Do you mean "off" as in "not accurately representing only Steam sales", but rather sales across all distribution methods that can be activated on Steam, or completely off?

Fairly accurate actually, but yeah, includes Humble/Playism retail activations, rather than straight steam sales.

Opiate

Serious question: which of these games are available on other PC platforms? Is Dark Souls on GoG? Is Street Fighter on Origin? Is FFXIII on Green Man Gaming?

kswiston

Serious question: which of these games are available on other PC platforms? Is Dark Souls on GoG? Is Street Fighter on Origin? Is FFXIII on Green Man Gaming?

Most of the games using Steamworks are sold on Amazon, Gamersgate, Green Man Gaming, etc. However, they all register through Steam. Unless things have changed drastically since I checked, that would at least include everything from Square-Enix (and probably Namco, Konami, and Capcom).

LiK

I doubt GoG will get them anytime soon since they offer DRM-free. GMG offers Steam codes so most likely if they're allowed to resell them. Origin is possible altho I don't think Japanese pubs would bother with them.

Considering the various factors that can add significantly to the margin of error, those are damn close to the reality for us.

Ars Technica never fails to impress!

Top Bottom