• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How Americans Order Their Steak (Rare 2.5%, Well Done 11.7%)

Based on a year's worth of data from Longhorn Steakhouse.

hickeydottle-steak-1-rd.png

FiveThirtyEight said:
Longhorn Steakhouse hooked us up here, agreeing to share aggregated data about how Americans prefer their steak. Longhorn shared a year’s worth of steak orders1 from all of its 491 U.S. locations, revealing how Americans ordered all different cuts of steak. It turns out that Americans claim to like their steak a lot rarer than they actually do!

There are serious differences in how people order different cuts, and we wanted to know why.

“Every steak has a different fiber,” said Jens Dahlmann, the executive chef at Longhorn. “If you look at the most tender steak, it’s the tenderloin. That’s a steak that lends itself to barely cooking it. It’s got a very soft fiber and very sweet flavors to it. It works great for rare and medium-rare.”

Prime rib also works great on the rarer side. Because it’s cooked slowly and at low temperatures, a rare order of prime rib can come out without the bloodiness that turns off many rare-averse people. Other steaks can handle more heat.

“Steaks that still perform very well even if you go to a medium-well temperature, those would be the highly marbled steaks, the ribeye, even the porterhouse or T-bone,” Dahlmann said. “There is a bone running through the middle, and around the bone retains more moisture and flavor.”

David Berson, director of operations at Peter Luger Steak House in Brooklyn, agreed. “Some people like a ribeye rare, but I would recommend cooking it a little longer. It’s got a lot of fat.”

I'm a medium-rare guy myself.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Medium Rare is the best. Well done us the pineapple pizza of the steak world

Oh I'm with the 37% I guess.

You'd think with how evangelical GAF is about rare/medium-rare steak though, they'd make up more than 25%.

Of course more people are going to order ruined, overcooked steak at Longhorn.

Fucking disgusting. I bet they asked for ketchup too.

Aurongel

Not at all what I was expecting. Then again, my mom growing up would always demand her steaks be as well done as possible and would hilariously complain that it was "too dry" 95% of the time.

bigkrev

I will never understand the Well-done people. Can't you save money and just order a Hamburger without the bun instead?

zbarron

Guess we gotta ask 11.7 percent of the steak-eating population politely, but firmly, to leave.

Well they are eating steak at Longhorn. I assume if you went to a more high end steak house the numbers would be different.

I'm impressed that the article goes into how different steaks are better at different temperatures. It's something few realize and would rather just order everything at medium rare because they heard it's best and look down on all other temperatures.

I always order mine rare. Although, I literally say "Bloody as all hell" when I order so they know I'm not kidding. Occasionally, I'll get the cook who will come out and confirm with me that I want a cool bloody center. My dad was always the guy to ask the cook to put the steak on the grill for 20 seconds on each side and then right to the plate. I'm not that bad.

Timeaisis

If it's a chain steak place, I go medium every time. I ain't taking no chances, and lots of the time it's "chef's choice" with medium, anyway, and you'll end up getting a medium-rare steak either way. I don't want a bloody steak, and medium-rare means something different to everyone, it seems.

If it's a nice steak restaurant, I'll go medium-rare or just do whatever the chef recommends.

ThisGuy

I think we need to take into account certain restaurants don't have great cooks. I love medium rare. But if I go to the roadhouse near me, I'll order medium. And they'll bring out something in between the two. If I order medium rare, I'm cutting into artery lol.

HeySeuss

Medium-well beating medium-rare is a travesty.

I'm convinced that people order their steak this way (and well done) out of ignorance of thinking red meat is inherently bad for you or dangerous an will make you sick. It just has to be.

Medium rare ftw

Top Bottom