• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I have no idea how anyone could like their burger medium rare

I am preparing burgers at least once a week at home, and those are medium rare.
The more you overcook those patties, the less you can taste the beef.

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
Someone who is a chef once told me if you go to a restaurant and order meat well done they will give you their worst cut of meat they have.

GymWolf

The opposite for me, i enjoy bloody meat but bloody ground meat is a turn off.

Mostly depends on the meat, i had very juicy medium burger in the past.

Bwesh

That patty should be as thin and crispy as possible. Then double it.

95btyIH.gif

I was a manager at a bar and we also had burgers. I had nightmare time sometimes with the staff or should I say customers to staff because of these in-between options like medium rare etc. Everyone has their own vision of how something should look like. Keep it RARE, MEDIUM, WELL DONE. Fuck this shit in between thats a 30 second difference longer on the grill. If it was up to me, Id just offer Medium or Well Done. If you want rare go to a butcher shop for full effect.

Super Mario

Banned
I love burgers. They're probably one of my favorite foods. I've gotten food poisoning before and diarhea plenty of times from undercooked ground beef. Now, I always order it medium well. I can't remember the last time it wasn't still juicy. The char on it is also super-tasty. It takes a lot of cooking to dry out the standard 80/20 they use. Plus, with all of the toppings, it's even more negligible.

For steak, it depends on the cut and the definition what the chef says what is what. Pink/bright pink is the absolutely best. Great char, flavor, and juice. Red is disgusting. Too chewy, and underdeveloped flavor. No pink is dry.

Thaedolus

I love burgers. They're probably one of my favorite foods. I've gotten food poisoning before and diarhea plenty of times from undercooked ground beef. Now, I always order it medium well. I can't remember the last time it wasn't still juicy. The char on it is also super-tasty. It takes a lot of cooking to dry out the standard 80/20 they use. Plus, with all of the toppings, it's even more negligible.

For steak, it depends on the cut and the definition what the chef says what is what. Pink/bright pink is the absolutely best. Great char, flavor, and juice. Red is disgusting. Too chewy, and underdeveloped flavor. No pink is dry.

Get a sous vide steak rare sometime and tell me it’s chewy and underdeveloped. You still get a well formed crust on the outside due to the Maillard reaction when searing and the inside keeps all its moist flavor, is warm all the way through and the connective tissue has been allowed to break down so it’s incredibly tender without turning it into flavorless gray matter.

Oh god I need to go buy some ribeyes

Davey Cakes

People don't understand you can have well done food that isn't dry.
Agreed. The best steak I ever had was medium-well.

It's just hard to trust cooks to get it right. A portion of the populace DOES enjoy hockey puck burgers after all.

Last edited:

V2Tommy

With you, OP. The smell of ground meat is simply disgusting. As someone that grew up poor and made sausages from scratch, I also like my damn food cooked really well.

for steak I'm a rare or medium rare guy but I don't usually ask for anything different for my burgers outside of maybe a little more or little less of some stuff (pickles or tomatoes etc). but I've tried In N Out burger medium rare before and they're great! shame they don't do medium rare no more.

I_D

So many of you guys need to learn how to cook.

* Color does not indicate doneness. Smoking, sous vide, grilling, marinading, etc. all produce different colors for the same amount of doneness.

* Rare and mid-rare meat does not have any blood in it.

* Rare and mid-rare meat is still super crispy/crusty if done correctly.

Mid-rare is the best way to cook meat because it brings out the most amount of flavor while still maintaining proper tenderness. Cooking less than mid-rare increased the tenderness, but eliminates flavor. Cooking beyond mid-rare doesn't add any flavor at all, and destroys the tenderness.
Medium is kinda-sorta okay on a burger, but on anything else it's too much. And for those who like well-done... you might as well just eat the ashes from the bottom of the grill.

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
I don't like thick burgers and I like a touch of char so typically do make them fairly well done; but I also always use 80/20 beef so there's still plenty of flavor/juiciness. It's not really a "I don't like pink meat" thing for me it's just I like a thin burger and it's inevitably going to get cooked through.

Steak mid-rare with a hard sear all the way.

Azzurri

When it comes to burgers I get them well done or medium well since ground beef has more of a risk when it isn't cooked.

But with steak it's always medium or sometimes medium rare.

Last edited:
I'm scared to ask what that is!

I have never had it, but seen it in food challenges from competitive eating YTs

according to wikipedia

Black pudding is a distinct regional type of blood sausage originating in the United Kingdom and Ireland. It is made from pork blood, with pork fat or beef suet, and a cereal, usually oatmeal, oat groats or barley groats. The high proportion of cereal, along with the use of certain herbs such as pennyroyal, serves to distinguish black pudding from blood sausages eaten in other parts of the world.[1]

black_pudding_16x9.jpg

Last edited:
When ever I watch those cooking constant shows, I'm flabbergasted as to how bloody a burger/steak has to be for it to rate highly. Cook that shit through ffs

Last edited:

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
I prefer medium rare but medium is fine. The seasoning and a good sear is more important than the slight difference between the difference of mid or mid rare to me.

And another thing. What's the obsession with Tall hamburgers? You can barely eat those damn things, and when you finally manage to bite it, half the hamburger slides out the other side! Make your hamburger short and wide, FFS!

Top Bottom