• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How are you dealing with all this bullshit?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jb1234

I don't know. It's hard to compare my suicidal depression before Trump to the suicidal depression after him. Everything that's happening right now certainly isn't helping but I've been in a downward spiral for years now. I'm mostly just sad that people I care about are just as miserable as I am, just for different reasons.

Speely

Banned
I am dealing with it by hating myself for not being more meaningfully-involved in the political process by which my nation operates, beyond trying to vote often and in an informed fashion. I feel like I could have been less complacent and far more active, but instead was just focused on my own shit like so many others.

I also hate that I dove into a progressive bubble and only saw the world around me as a carnival fun house-mirror image through said bubble (that's a really sloppy bit of imagery, but I am burned out by the tsunami of fuckery right now, so whatever.) So I am dealing by considering that fact directly and deciding how to change my life in a way that will never let me feel that again.

That and whisky. And getting involved in local protest. Too little, too late, but hey.

fester

Banned
When was the last time an american president was so hated so quickly? BUSH?

Not even close. I hated both Bushes when they were in office but that took a while to develop. I would welcome Dubyah back with loving, caressing arms right now if I could.

Spenny

I've been getting back into contact with my old anarchist/antifa buddies. Getting ready to stand up to the government. It's what I've done since I was a young teen and haven't done for the last six years since I've met my SO. I've come to the point where I can't just sit back and watch anymore. Last Saturday I marched in peace and while it was fun I can't do that for the for the foreseeable future. Time to start punching Nazis again.

Mifune

Mehmber
Not well.

Anxiety is through the roof. Every single day brings a new nightmare. I can't focus on work. I'm so easily distracted. I'm extra snippy, even here on GAF (apologies to my fellow members). I can't find any measure of peace or relaxation; every little thing annoys the fuck out of me.

Those fleeting moments of solace with my friends or wife are oh-so-fleeting (not to mention we end up discussing this stuff so it ain't fun). Oh, and I can't talk to my family about anything because they're all Republicans. I'm in a pure fuck-everything frame of mind and it's not pretty.

How are you?

I'm trying to stay positive but sometimes it all just comes flooding back to me. I just zone out and try to figure out how any of this is happening.

My family is also dependent on the government not shitting themselves so seeing things like Medicaid get threatened doesn't help ease the fears. My parents will die if anything happens to Medicaid.

But my Trump supporting father seems to think he's going to make America great again for the whites so there's that.

Fox Mulder

The sun goes up and down. We only have so much time to live our life, so fuck the USA really.

I'll go vote when it's time, but trump and the republicans will do whatever they've always wanted until then. Nothing can stop it right now.

mhayes86

Honestly, I've been a bit ignorant of events over the last month. My wife and I have been on our honeymoon in New Zealand and have been enjoying ourselves. We've had limited Internet access and TV since we're out all day, but some local Kiwis have engaged us about stuff. Now we're sitting in the Christchurch airport catching up on events and really don't feel like going home.

RMI

Banned
I used to have terrifying anxiety about dying. The fear, admittedly irrational, about my consciousness being snuffed out and replaced by an eternal black nothingness that I cannot even perceive would keep me up at night sometimes.

Then I had a kid and I started worrying about him more. Now my personal fear of death is more a fear that I won't be there for him when he needs me.

Then this shit... I don't want to be struggling to survive in a nuclear wasteland with an infant. like fuck that. It's not something I "deal with" really, but it's like my tinnitus. Most of the time I don't even notice it is there. But once in a while, there's that fucking ringing in my ears again.

Kenai

I'm getting out of the Rust Belt. Brushing up on my trade skills. Renewing my passport (I can work anywhere, i don't care if i gotta go farther).

Staying by my boyfriend's side. Finishing my master's degree. Networking. Volunteering. Protesting.

Gotta fight back at every opportunity. Every single one. F*ck giving up. I'm not struggling just for me.

Ottaro

My dad just asked me to come to his house and physically fight him over my Facebook posts which are basically just me posting news articles with "this is fine".

So, thats a thing.

Wow, I am so sorry. What's his justification? I mean, are these news articles of Trump doing something your dad agrees with and he is mad at you for not agreeing they're good, or are they articles of Trump doing things your dad probably knows are bad things and is simply mad that you are posting news that paints Trump in a negative light? I cannot understand how anyone's reaction is a call to violence like that.

Rough situation man.

I'm sure many republican voters would go Libertarian if they weren't concerned with sports team paradigms of winning elections, and I'm sure many Democrats would go Green or something else radical for the same reason.

This is literally the case of "more competition is good" but as a country we are stuck in this two party binary.

Le'ts play out this hypothetical scenario.
Let's say our congress is evenly split between the four parties. Republican, Democrat, Green and Libertarian, 25% control for each. A majority is still needed to pass anything, so, great, that means they'll have to compromise! But who will they compromise with? The party most aligned with them because that's where they will be able to get the most support for their bills. The Republicans and Libertarians will compromise with each other, and the Democrats and Greens will compromise with each other. And from what I understand the Vice President breaks ties right? So whatever party the VP is in will basically have control if congress is split up evenly like that.

So you will either be getting bills that will be more conservative than they would have been with simply a republican congress, or bills that will be more liberal than they would have been with simply a democratic congress (which are both gross simplifications of where they all sit on the political spectrum, but I hope my point comes across. The compromises won't be of the moderate center kind).

And that's with a perfectly even split between the four of them. Reality would be messier and would inevitably provide power to one ideological pair of groups over another while the losing pair feuds with themselves.

Also, by voting third party in the interest of increasing competition as you say, you have to remember you can only vote for one person (for a position). A voter for the green party in that mindset must be relying that there is a 1:1 shared vote ratio between them and someone else voting for a Libertarian to balance the increase in competition to both larger parties. You would have to hope that the exact same number of people that are voting Green are also voting Libertarian. Otherwise, the green party voter is not voting in a way that harms the system but is voting in a way that only harms the democratic party, the party that more closely aligns with their goals.

Sorry, I know this is off topic. I guess you could say this is my own way of coping :p

Composer

I'm so sorry to hear. Do you have alternatives? Maybe your great job can spring you to a different country with less fascism?

We'll see. I've got a pretty high-up job at a massive tech company, so that's the good thing. I don't know what the future holds. The general sentiment of living in the US and thought of as a problem x 2 starts to wear on you, especially after 20 years of it.

Surface of Me

I'm not an NPC. And neither are we.
Ignoring it mostly. I have far too many problems and stress in my personal life and survival I need to deal with before I can devote mental energy towards Trump's BS.

pelicansurf

Needs a Holiday on Gallifrey
I'm having very dark thoughts regarding what I would do if Trump just rolled up in front of me. However, actively getting more involved in the process, when I was a guy who literally did not give a shit about politics (but still voted for Hillary). How times have changed.

fastmower

eh, life goes on. It always does. Disappointment is just part of life.

Still have a career in engineering to continue building upon. A family to take care of. A hot wife to keep happy. A house to maintain.

I "deal" with life as I always have; Continue grinding to better myself and my family.

The sun still shines today, and it will rise again tomorrow.
Sounds like the perfect cookie cutter American life. Good job.

zethren

Banned
Continuing to be involved, pay attention, and stay as well informed as I can. Also keeping my friends informed as well. It's pretty amazing how most folks I know are more politically active now than ever. I am hoping this applies nationwide, and we see some major changes in 2018 and 2020.

I'm trying to maintain my resolve in my trust of the system in place. The people are corrupt and untrustworthy, but I do trust in the constitution and our ability to overcome. I have faith that the people will continue to be involved.

Zen Aku

Thanks modbot for linking this. I was trying to find this thread. Guess I didn't search hard enough.

I'm kind of amazed you made it into a serious long term relationship with someone without similar political or religious leanings, particularly if you're so passionate about one vs the other.
I didn't even think I was so passionate about this whole thing until I see headlines of what's happening popping up all over. I always believe in equality and the freedom of choices. I guess I have never been tested until recently.

I don't think she's a bad person. I told her about waterboarding and how the cut of funding will ultimately hurts or even condemn so many people to death. She says she's against that. That she think Trump is an immature man, but she still would have voted for him. She's about to explain to me her point of views now. Considering how long we've been together. I owe her at least 10 minutes so she can explain to me her side. I'll lets you guys know. We don't always agree on everything but before this year. We have been mostly happy.

Ms.Galaxy

I haven't, to be honest. Been contemplating suicide for days now, everyday makes me feel the urge to finally do it, but I feel like I'm needed to fight against this madness, so I remain alive regardless of such thoughts. I try to fight everyday; volunteer, protest, and talk to people, but when I get home, those thoughts fly in my head. I don't have really anything left to live for, especially not since December.

It's funny too, my friends and even my therapist have all said not to commit suicide, but recently even they are not so sure if that's a bad choice. Even my own mother said she would understand if I go. It's pretty much just depression and hopelessness on my end completely.

MazeHaze

Banned
For the OP of the topic that got closed and redirected here (and wtf gaf?, you got a suicidal gaffer asking for help and you close his topic and link to another? Fuck outta here)

PM me ANY TIME. Been through some shit most people could not even imagine, thought about eating a bullet for a LONG time. I didn't, and after a year or so life got better. DO NOT HESITATE to PM me. I'm here for you bro.

Zen Aku

It's funny too, my friends and even my therapist have all said not to commit suicide, but recently even they are not so sure if that's a bad choice. Even my own mother said she would understand if I go. It's pretty much just depression and hopelessness on my end completely.
Shit man... Even your own mother told you that? I know she must care about you. But I wouldn't listen to them. I'm in the same boat more or less so I understand how you feel.
For the OP of the topic that got closed and redirected here (and wtf gaf?, you got a suicidal gaffer asking for help and you close his topic and link to another? Fuck outta here)

PM me ANY TIME. Been through some shit most people could not even imagine, thought about eating a bullet for a LONG time. I didn't, and after a year or so life got better. DO NOT HESITATE to PM me. I'm here for you bro.
Thanks man, I appreciate the offer. Really, I do. I understand why modbot closed it though. Its better to talk about it in one unified thread than to make 50 different threads for everyone. This way people will find it easier to support one another. Modbot is a good man bot.

Just reading more and more of his shit everyday. Hopefully more pressure is put on him.

you are just filling your head with more of his hateful shit. people - if you feel like shit and all you do is read this stuff constantly then maybe there is a correlation there. take a break!

I didn't even think I was so passionate about this whole thing until I see headlines of what's happening popping up all over.

exactly! the media is exploiting people's fears, just like they always have. if all you read is apocalyptic shit then no wonder that you get super emotional. the tv guys, they have psychologists figure this stuff out for them, they get paid big bucks to do it.

Ms.Galaxy

Shit man... Even your own mother told you that? I know she must care about you. But I wouldn't listen to them. I'm in the same boat more or less so I understand how you feel.

My mother lived a hard life. She grew up under a fascist state and she went against it, going as far as to help women and children run away and cross to the U.S. illegally to protect them from the abuse of the government back in the early 70s. She knows what's coming next, I know it, my entire family does too, which is why they all ran back to Portugal except my mother, who is too poor to leave the U.S. She just wants to make sure I don't suffer because of my gender and sexuality.

That said, she also tells me to fight if I can. She likes to remind me that I was named after her father, a great man, because she believes that I will carry on his legacy and her's. She raised me to be fighter, to stand up for what is right. Well, that's still ingrained into me, which is why I'm still fighting despite my suicidal thoughts.

Keeping my head down, taking care of things at work, reminding myself that I'm a speck of dust that doesn't matter in the grand scheme of things. I don't have a voice, I can't make an impact, just got to pay the bills somehow.

Suicidal thoughts came back at first but now I can't think about doing it at all. I need to see it get better and I will do what I can to see that come true.

I'm a Canadian that's been eyeing New Zealand for a while now as I can see The Great Fuckening America is undergoing will certainly harm this country, the open question is to what degree.

To people living south of the border my heart goes out to you poor devils. No body in my life supports President Piss-Froth and I'm grateful for that.

Zen Aku

So my girlfriend (if anyone read the other thread before it was locked) just finished telling me her point of view. These are her main reasons for supporting Trump. Reminder she is heavily religious.

1) She just told me her primary reason is because she's pro-life and she felt that Trump is the only one who will protect all the unborn. While she know that abortions will still take place even if they ban it. She believe in choice but she draw the line at abortion, she does not want to pay for it or be anyway involve in it.

2) I also told her about the UNDP and what's going to happen when the US cut funding. She told me while she never want someone to not received help. Her reason is because the UNDP is anti-Israel and she believe Trump can help and support Israel and mend the relationship between the two nations, even if it means forsaken helping others.

3) About the Climate Accord situation. She is all about protecting the environment because God gave us this dominion and we should watch over it. But she also doesn't think it's a big issue considering other problems we have.

4) She hate how Trump acts as a person and how he treat people, especially minority. That he is a racist. She would not want a person like that to be in a position of power, but she also believe that God will suddenly lose control because Trump became president. That he has a plan for everything, that he would no forsaken us. She is choosing faith over logic. She has trusted God her whole life and without that trust she believe she wouldn't be here right now. So she's choosing to believe in him this time as well.

I haven't, to be honest. Been contemplating suicide for days now, everyday makes me feel the urge to finally do it, but I feel like I'm needed to fight against this madness, so I remain alive regardless of such thoughts. I try to fight everyday; volunteer, protest, and talk to people, but when I get home, those thoughts fly in my head. I don't have really anything left to live for, especially not since December.

I said it before but goddamn you are a fighter. Your posts are some of the ones that are igniting a fire in my heart, that we can help steer even a little bit away from this bullshit, no matter how hard it is. You've done so much more than you can imagine.

Even then...if it gets to be too much, listen to your therapist, think about disengaging, even if just for a little bit. I don't know how, media blackout, meditation, travel, vacation ect

Also that's REALLY fucked that your friends and MOTHER would even entertain that. REALLY fucked.

I'd love to attend a protest in a big city but I wouldn't know what to do and I've barely traveled before and I don't want to die. So I'm just continuing to absorb news and sentiments and hopefully I'll be able to talk and convince people worth a damn.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
So my girlfriend (if anyone read the other thread before it was locked) just finished telling me her point of view. These are her main reasons for supporting Trump. Reminder she is heavily religious.

Break up with her.

Toxi

Banned
1) She just told me her primary reason is because she's pro-life and she felt that Trump is the only one who will protect all the unborn. While she know that abortions will still take place even if they ban it. She believe in choice but she draw the line at abortion, she does not want to pay for it or be anyway involve in it.
There is literally no way to argue with someone like this. Not because she's "pro-life", but because she's so pro-life she will demonstrably vote for literally anyone with an anti-abortion platform, no matter how horrible they are on anything else.

RDreamer

I mostly try not to think about it on a deeper level. I guess I'm lucky in that I'm a white dude and I can suppress it even as much as I am.

That said, this is actually the first time in my life that I'm actively contemplating not ever having a kid. I just don't see this country or the world getting better and I have such a negative opinion that I just might not, which is astounding to me. I can't really wait 4 or 8 years either if I want to. It has to be within the next year or two if I do since my fiance is getting into her late 30s now.

Hinchy

Echoing precious comments that I'm not really dealing with it. My life has fallen entirely apart and I struggle every day to convince myself that it's not worth it to take my life.

Toxi

Banned
Echoing precious comments that I'm not really dealing with it. My life has fallen entirely apart and I struggle every day to convince myself that it's not worth it to take my life.
It is never worth it to take your life. If you are thinking about hurting yourself, call the national suicide prevention hotline.

1-800-273-8255

I've had terrible times in my life, but it always can get better.

Zen Aku

There is literally no way to argue with someone like this. Not because she's "pro-life", but because she's so pro-life she will demonstrably vote for literally anyone with an anti-abortion platform, no matter how horrible they are on anything else.
Yeah I know that is not an issue she will budge on. Being a woman and a Christian, she hold that belief very close. I believe in life also but my belief in choice is stronger. So this is a hard subject for me too. I'm just glad that i'll never have to make that decision.

People didn't hate Bush until Iraq / Mission Accomplished / Katrina response / etc. years later.
Even though I'm fairly young. I dont even think I've heard of a US president being this hated in recent history, this quickly. Even with Bush and Clinton it was years down the line.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom