• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How can anyone hate Christmas music?

Status
Not open for further replies.
A lot of it was written in the 1950s and 40s and it shows. There are weird touches like orchestral backdrops and crooning that left pop music decades ago for a reason.

Also no one really bothers to make "new" songs they just cover the same 20 or so songs ad nausium.

Maybe that is why I like it. I love orchestral music. I was a fan of Symphony long before I started enjoying rock and other genres.

To the person who says that Christmas is too positive... what's wrong with that? Beats hearing how most music is about fucking or wanting to fuck like it is the rest of the year.

RDreamer

I guess I can understand retail workers... but like... I just don't know about everyone else.

I think a lot of people were workers at some point where they had to hear that tripe over and over again. I worked at a grocery store where I swear they did a playlist of about 45 minutes worth of music. During the holidays sometimes you'd pull 10-12 hour shifts... yeah... you wanted to blow your brains out pretty quickly.

I'll agree with everyone saying that it's way overplayed. I always found that Christmas has all this stress added to it since you're expected to drop a lot of money at once to get all these gifts for people. And on top of that it's hard to get people stuff that they actually like. I'm glad my family stopped with giving gifts and we just celebrate with a nice meal. Usually my dad will work on Christmas so that the people with young kids don't have to so we usually celebrate the day before or after.

Don't get me wrong it's totally fine if you enjoy everything about Christmas and I myself like how everyone puts up lights and how pretty it can look. And it's definitely good that it gets people to make time to spend together. But the music can get really grating even if you celebrate the holiday.

Mr.Mike

tradition.png

Because there's like 3 actually good Christmas songs and then 30000 shitty contemporary remakes of the classics you're already sick of.

Growing up, I used to get this kind of warm, comforting feeling upon hearing Christmas songs. The season was special. It was just one part of the sort-of collective excitement you'd get from the holidays, and it sort of enveloped you in the best possible way.

Then, a bunch of people realized how to bank on this, and have really dragged that sense of splendor through the mud and back. Why are there only like thirty classic Christmas songs that we have to be subjected to endlessly, with an infinite number of covers and remixes? Why does the season have to start in what seems like September? I don't loathe the season or anything, but the whole experience has really just been soured over the years.

/ Old man yells at cloud

Funny enough, having worked at the same store for the past 3 Christmas seasons, I actually now look forward to the Christmas music, as I have grown sick of the song list my store usually plays all the time.

It's just the same overplayed shit, year after year. In the UK some music channels started playing the first Christmas songs in October.

There's probably some deep rooted, psychological reason why people love it... maybe it invokes memories of their childhood, a care-free time, and people want to cling on to anything that gives them that warm, fuzzy feeling. But I'm 33 and I'm just bored of Christmas music.

And it probably says something that the best Christmas song contains the lyrics "You scumbag, you maggot, you cheap lousy faggot".

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
I'm not a religious person by any means, but religious Christmas music is honestly pretty awesome---love "Do You Hear What I Hear". It's really the secular stuff I find bothersome, except for Wonderful Christmastime and Last Christmas just because of how goofy and over-the-top they are.

The only religious Christmas song that bothers me is when you hear the second verse of Here Comes Santa Claus which suddenly starts to preach. Weirded me out the first time I heard the whole song since it always struck me as being a pretty simple, non-denominational song, and the movie I first heard it in, Rankin-Bass' Here Comes Santa Claus, pretty much brushed over all the specific religious elements.

I'm not a religious person by any means, but religious Christmas music is honestly pretty awesome---love "Do You Hear What I Hear". It's really the secular stuff I find bothersome, except for Wonderful Christmastime and Last Christmas just because of how goofy and over-the-top they are.

The only religious Christmas song that bothers me is when you hear the second verse of Here Comes Santa Claus which suddenly starts to preach. Weirded me out the first time I heard the whole song since it always struck me as being a pretty simple, non-denominational song, and the movie I first heard it in, Rankin-Bass' Here Comes Santa Claus, pretty much brushed over all the specific religious elements.

Gregorian chant Christmas music is the best, really. My dad used to play it all the time.

Alphahawk

Maybe that is why I like it. I love orchestral music. I was a fan of Symphony long before I started enjoying rock and other genres.

Makes sense, but realize that that type of music is a really small niche at this point. Essentially it's a niche that is forced on the entire country for one and a half months.

Ultratech

I think a lot of people were workers at some point where they had to hear that tripe over and over again.
I worked at a grocery store where I swear they did a playlist of about 45 minutes worth of music.
During the holidays sometimes you'd pull 10-12 hour shifts... yeah... you wanted to blow your brains out pretty quickly.

A pain I know all too well...

There are only so many times I can listen to Little Drummer Boy et al before I snap. Plus contemporary Christmas music just plain sucks.

rpmurphy

Same, at least as I get older, the secular ones somehow feels more kitschy and can't stand to listen to them too much during the season aside from a few like White Christmas.

Now the choral songs, they just have class.

Christmas music is the best. I usually hate cheese but Christmas cheese is the best cheese.

Kinda off the subject, but I just found Run The Jewels' 'Christmas' song whilst searching for some Christmas music. Got to the abortion line and noped the fuck out. I was just starting to like them :|

Sheroking

There are four types of Christmas music:

1) Classic, innocuous tunes for kids (Rudolph, Jingle Bells, etc)
2) Religious, repetitive tunes for boring people (Little Drummer Boy, We Three Kings, etc).
3) Contemporary pop vomit, usually country (not listing any of this shit)

And then there's Carol of the Bells, which kicks all of the ass.

Monocle

I'll tell you how: forced cheer can be annoying as fuck. Sometimes I don't wan't to hear awful sexed up cloying renditions of Christmas classics.

I never mind choirs though, unless they're singing an especially hackneyed song.

The religious music is usually the only stuff I can stand, but more because of the classical melodies and instrumentals than the subject matter.

I'm also not remotely religious.

I just want to make a point about how obnoxious this forced holiday is.

You could have easily made this topic about how you love christmas / christmas songs without trying to make a point about how broken people are who don't agree with you.

It's fine in small doses. Problem is places turn it on 24/7 starting on Thanksgiving and don't turn it off til Christmas. And then it gets shitty.

I'm glad my family stopped with giving gifts and we just celebrate with a nice meal.

Man I wish my family would do the same. We all can afford to buy the stuff we want anyway, and the children are too young to understand what's going on. I don't mind having a nice meal and all, but trying to buy gifts that people actually want every year makes me stressed out as fuck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom