• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Die Hard Trilogy - Yippie Ki Yay it's a Christmas game!

PooBone

I remember the commercials for this back in the day when I had an N64. I eventually got a PS1 for the Resident Evil games and never saw Die Hard Trilogy for sale. Going back with emulators doesn't do the game justice considering how early in 3D this was developed.

But I love that it's a holiday classic. And OP, your dad's cool.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
vQsJQPw.jpg

Nymphae

Banned

lol the marketing team told me it's a Christmas movie, therefore it is

They are merely capitalizing on the bugman obsession with it being a Christmas movie, that packaging has more Christmas imagery than the entirety of the movie. Again the movie has almost no content that is meaningfully about the holidays, it is merely an action movie set at Christmas with all but the most fleeting mentions of the holiday.

Zero7

Great game, I used to play the light gun part all the time at my cousins. DieHard Arcade on the saturn was pretty bad ass too.

There was a Die Hard Trilogy 2, that wasn't based on any of the movies. But it's best not to talk about that one 😀

Nymphae

Banned
I'm hearing jingling bells all over in the music, though

It's not super noticeable in the soundtrack while I watched it, there are a few Christmas tunes but I think the point that the script and content overall basically have nothing to do with the holidays is the important factor.

Nymphae

Banned
I think Christmas movies are what you make them. Home Alone is more of a comedy heist movie than a Christmas movie if you really think about it. Sure it’s set at Christmas but the real story is how he deals with the Wet Bandits.

I would agree to some extent, but to um ackshually Home Alone as not a Chrsitmas movie seems a little obtuse to me, it's chock full of Christmas imagery set during the holidays, about the Christmas vacation, like, it's not hard to understand why this movie is a Christmas classic. Die Hard is one on the thinnest of margins, for me not enough to be categorized as being about Christmas at all.

They are not Christmas movies they are action movies set at Christmas which have absolutely nothing meaningful to say about the holidays whatsoever. I watched them on the weekend good movies though.
I tend to agree with you but I really don't care either way. This will be forever argued amongst film lovers. Especially with dudes who see this as "a mans Christmas movie". Sure. Great. Have at it. It's a classic after all.

Last edited:

Kerlurk

Banned

Last edited:

Breakage

I only enjoyed the first game in the trilogy. DH2 was barely playable for me because I didn't have a G-Con. And the vehicle handling in DH3 was too frustrating to tolerate.

VGEsoterica

LOL!

Every other station is playing "'It's a Wonderful Life" (movie that I have seen like 20 times), and gun shots and explosions can be heard coming from your home.

Funny, but I agree with your Dad, as they are Christmas movies, and I think they are classics.

Not Christmas related, but when it comes to the genre, Virtua Cop was so much fun on my Saturn. My roommates and I would take turns playing that. SEGA really nailed the timing in that game.
Virtua Cop and 2 were both awesome games. It’s unfortunate 3 never got the Xbox port it was supposed to have. Granted you can mod your Xbox with more ram to get it to run if you have custom firmware on your console even I’ve never done it lol

Last edited:

Phobos Base

I would agree to some extent, but to um ackshually Home Alone as not a Chrsitmas movie seems a little obtuse to me, it's chock full of Christmas imagery set during the holidays, about the Christmas vacation, like, it's not hard to understand why this movie is a Christmas classic. Die Hard is one on the thinnest of margins, for me not enough to be categorized as being about Christmas at all.

The fact it's Christmas plays a part in the storyline, so for me it is a Christmas film rather than a film set at Christmas.

Anyway, this along with Formula 1 was the first game I got for my PS1 and I got countless hours of enjoyment from it. 1 was my favourite, once I got a light gun I also had loads of fun with 2. I never managed to complete 3 because the time limits became brutal later on, but again I still liked playing it, not to mention running over pedestrians whilst the wipers clear away the blood, and the fact the bombs still exploded when you disarmed them for some reason.

Another great thing was the sheer amount of cheats they put in. Big head mode, skeleton mode, even a damn level editor in DH2. I miss the days of games coming with stupid visual cheats (like Formula 1, where you could turn the track into lava)

Kerlurk

Banned

Last edited:

VGEsoterica

One could argue that any Christmas movie be only about the birth of Christ, but I think what your meaning, the "spirit of Christmas" as some of the classics like It's a Wonderful Life.

Die Hard has someone risking his life to not only stop criminals (which is a good), but also making a sacrifice to save his marriage/wife, and many other people. One could argue the whole plot is to redeem himself in his wife's eyes in order to save his marriage.

Certainly has strong parallels to It's A Wonderful Life where the main character decides to do the right thing, and save his marriage and an entire town.

One could argue that the scene of walking on glass, is parallel to the difficult passage to Bethlehem. (ok bit of stretch)

Both movies have scenes of charity/generosity/cheerfulness which ties in strongly with the Christmas message of gift giving. Die Hard even starts with a Christmas party, reflecting on the generosity of the host.

And a strong connection to the Christmas message of a savior/redeemer coming into the world (or tower/town).

The LAPD police officer arriving on the scene early to help, obviously a strong parallel to one of the wise Kings.

Hans Gruber (love that name, and may Alan Rickman (1946-2016) rest in Peace), obviously Herod, wanting to ruin Christmas for the McClane's.

I could see the entire Die Hard series being a course in University, where these themes are fully explored. ;)

Hmmm, I never played these games. Never thought much of them at the time.

Fascinating discussion for this time of year. I should track down Die Hard and watch it this Christmas.
This guy Die Hards! Awesome breakdown and makes 100% sense. Def parallels to some classic Christmas movies and stories.

MacReady13

I loved this game so much. Funnily enough even though the original is my fav film, the original in this game I played the least! I especially loved part 2's segment. This trilogy and the Alien Trilogy I adored.

Calverz

Gold Member
Recently played this on my RG350m. Terrific game. Great memories playing it as a kid.
Was always disappointed that my G-CON45 wouldn't work with die hard 2.

Last edited:

VGEsoterica

I loved this game so much. Funnily enough even though the original is my fav film, the original in this game I played the least! I especially loved part 2's segment. This trilogy and the Alien Trilogy I adored.
Oh 100% the first film is the best film but in the trilogy Die Hard 2 and the light gun gameplay is the best here

UnNamed

Banned
I didn't had the full game but just the demo, it was really funny but civilians were so annoying I usually tried to shoot them all. Years before No Russians.

Calverz

Gold Member
Right? They left the best light gun out in the cold
Yea. I remember people saying it was because the game wasnt designed to take that sort of lightgun or something. I remember mates playing it with cheap mp5 looking style lightguns lol.

SkylineRKR

I don't think Trilogy was that good, but I did play it a ton. Mainly the lightgun game. The airport level was great and that music is seriously perfect.

there is fire in the terminal!

It may have been 3 games, but all 3 were repetitive, unfair and had no real ending or anything. Die Hard Arcade was far better.

I'm in the Die Hard is a christmas movie camp. In fact, its my number one x-mas movie probably.

Last edited:
Top Bottom