• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Die Hard Trilogy - Yippie Ki Yay it's a Christmas game!

VGEsoterica

Growing up Christmas meant two things....1) a tree and 2) my father would insist on watching Die Hard and Die Hard 2 all while explaining why they were "christmas classics" along with things like Christmas Vacation and A Christmas Story. Clearly he was a passionate Die Hard fan and he still asks me yearly whether I've watched them yet or not!

Well it must have stuck with me because every year the movies MUST be watched during December. But little did I know one year I'd get Die Hard Trilogy under the tree as a gift. Honestly I am like 99% sure my dad just wanted to play it but wouldn't admit it and he used me as his cover story to play Die Hard Trilogy without my mom getting mad at him lol. I guess gaming as an adult wasn't as "ok" back then as it was now?

But whatever the reason...Die Hard Trilogy is now an absolute December must play for me. Ok maybe not the third game on the disc but the first two...pure Christmas classics. Nothing like a shoot out at Dulles International Airport while its decorated with Christmas trees and lights. It may seem like one of the strangest games to pick to play during Christmas but it's just one of those memories that's intrinsically tied to the holiday. Toss in some Die Hard (less christmas decorations but still taking place at christmas) and you have a very dumb and very fun holiday gaming experience!

Same with Crash Bandicoot and the PS1 in general...I got the system and the game for Xmas and now I'll always think of them as tied to the holidays. (Even if my PS1 was broken out of the box christmas day lolol...worst discovery ever!)

Happy Holidays everyone. Anyone watch Die Hard yet?

VGEsoterica

oh and as proof :

I even changed the music to Christmas music lolol. Also I am doing an xmas giveaway of a Neo Geo mini cause I love giving gifts. So check that out if you want

Mods : If the link is an issue I can delete it. Or you can. I just want to talk Die Hard

Last edited:

Bragr

Banned
Remember this back in the day, played the hell out of it. There is still an awesome Die Hard game out there waiting to be made, it's perfect videogame material.

Had a ton of fun with this game when I was young. Had that mad catz blaster for the light gun parts.

Fart Knight

Al Pachinko, Konami President
tenor.gif

Allforce

This game got a lot of play in high school, I remember nobody in our friend group could even come close to beating Die Hard 2 until one night I went into a zen-like trance and finished it in one sitting to everyone's amazement.

VGEsoterica

This game got a lot of play in high school, I remember nobody in our friend group could even come close to beating Die Hard 2 until one night I went into a zen-like trance and finished it in one sitting to everyone's amazement.

It's hands down the hardest game on the disc. It's also my favorite. Like the first Die Hard movie vs 2 more, but enjoy 2 more as a game

I remember my Momma picking this up for me randomly when it was a "Greatest Hits" release. I remember thinking it was pretty terrible, but I did enjoy the 3rd in the trilogy when you are racing around New York trying to defuse bombs. I should replay it and see how it's aged.

nemiroff

Gold Member
It doesn't quite look like I remember it, LOL. Anyway, as a light gun game that part was great, loved it.

VGEsoterica

I remember my Momma picking this up for me randomly when it was a "Greatest Hits" release. I remember thinking it was pretty terrible, but I did enjoy the 3rd in the trilogy when you are racing around New York trying to defuse bombs. I should replay it and see how it's aged.

truth be told it’s aged decently IMO. Better than some other PS1 era games

MiguelItUp

Gold Member
Loved this game so much as a kid, the soundtrack actually rules too!

I loved all the weird cheats and quirks the game had, it was full of all kinds of weird stuff, lol.

alienator

i have been playing it the last few days after i patched the psx version to work with my GunCon 1 , its a blast!! (the virtuacop part :D )

Incredible amount of content this game had. Once it became part of Greatest Hits, I bought it and felt like it was the best bargain I ever got lol

Enjoyed all three games and the music was pretty memorable. Cool explosions in With a Vengeance, too.

If anyone hasn't seen it yet, here's a documentary about the making of the game

Last edited:
Absolutely loved Die Hard Trilogy when I was kid.

If I remember right the GunCon didn't have enough buttons to play the second one properly? It really sucked because it was awesome lightgun. I played Time Crisis with it a lot.

I didn't like the third one except driving over people in first person and see John McClane using the windshield wipers to wash away the blood and bodies.

Tazzu

Played it with a turbo controller and it was still too hard.

The PS1 game was fun, but man when I found the PC game Die Hard: Nakatomi Plaza I was super fucking stoked. It's essentially just playing through the first movie in a FPS video game. Janky as a mother fucker but still I loved the hell out of it.

Grinchy

Banned
Loved this game. The airport level was available on a demo disc and I played it 100 times before buying the full game.

I remember eating like pounds of Whoppers candy while playing the 3rd movies game on the trilogy and I cant look at it without associating the taste of whoppers.

Allforce

Played it with a turbo controller and it was still too hard.

I might be wrong but I believe this game was out before the "Dual Analog" controller made it's debut. So you were basically playing a rail shooter with just the d-pad on a standard PS1 controller which made that Die Hard 2 section super difficult.

Cravis

I really dug the debug mode for part 2 where you could literally change the entire path the game took you down and then switch to play that new path you had made. Surprised that was left in there but was very cool to tinker with.

DrJohnGalt

Banned
Die Hard Challenge Accepted!

Replaced my busted Namco Guncon on black friday (also picked up Area 51, Crypt Killer, and Maximum Force) and actually pulled Die Hard off the shelf but haven't tried it yet. Never played it with the gun back in the day, so I'm looking forward to it!

SegaManAU

Gold Member
I love this game so much. Especially the light gun sections.

Because I was a Sega fanboy in the arcades, but never had a Saturn this would be my Virtua Cop replacement. Haha. I still have my copy, you're making me want to get it out over the Xmas break.

VGEsoterica

I love this game so much. Especially the light gun sections.

Because I was a Sega fanboy in the arcades, but never had a Saturn this would be my Virtua Cop replacement. Haha. I still have my copy, you're making me want to get it out over the Xmas break.

that’s my goal with these fun and strange topics. Get people playing a favorite game again or discovering something new they can enjoy!

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
There are two types of people in this world, those who say die hard is a Christmas movie, and those who do not.

Nymphae

Banned
They are not Christmas movies they are action movies set at Christmas which have absolutely nothing meaningful to say about the holidays whatsoever. I watched them on the weekend good movies though.

VGEsoterica

They are not Christmas movies they are action movies set at Christmas which have absolutely nothing meaningful to say about the holidays whatsoever. I watched them on the weekend good movies though.

I think Christmas movies are what you make them. Home Alone is more of a comedy heist movie than a Christmas movie if you really think about it. Sure it’s set at Christmas but the real story is how he deals with the Wet Bandits.

thats what’s so fun about memories around holidays. We all have unique ones and for me it’s Die Hard. My father watched it every Christmas and I watched it with him. I love those memories

I'm hearing jingling bells all over in the music, though

Reactions: Gp1
Top Bottom