• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How can gaming customers be fixed?

RevenantKioku said:
I just don't see why it's so hard to politely smile and say "No." That's what I do. But I don't take abuse either. One time, the guy kept bugging me and I said "I'm sorry, but I already told you no. I'd like you to cancel this sale and I'll take my business elsewhere." And I did.

I've done that and do that regardless of what sector, no need to me to spend money with a store that doesnt sit well with me. The problem is that I've done that at the 3 EBs and 3 GSs that are near my home or work. All I have left is ONE GameCrazy and their selection is shit. I had to take my little brother to return something at a GameStop this past weekend and it was an absolute hell.

border

They have free magazine subscriptions that I imagine quietly switch over to "Not being free" after a couple months.

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
And by "quietly" it's probably in the paperwork they give you (I'd imagine they do give you paperwork, if they don't forget what I'm saying). Sure they're being deceptive, but you as a consumer should also have enough balls to make sure you're as informed as you can be about anything you're taking part of.
That said, I buy online, Best Buy/Target/Circuit City who ever has the best deal. I only go GS/EB when it's stupid not to. ($5 for used Metroid Prime compared to $20 new)

If you hate it that much, quit and get a job working in the back at a Target or something. You probably get paid the same without having to deal with customers.

Mr Toast

Dont do retail - do drugs instead.

I personally find the type of customer most likely to post on GAF is also the most pleasant to deal with. Oddly, considering this thread.

1. It's easier for me to get a sealed copy from out the back than fill a gutted copy up, then go get a sealed copy, gut and sticker rape it.

2. Theyre more informed, so I dont have to listen to shit about how good the new wrestling/nfs/hunting game is.

3. They look after their games so they get traded in in good condition.

4. They dont spout out uninformed shit like "I heard the new Sony Three is out in Japan, my mate already has one".

oh, and

5. They dont threaten to slit my throat, and then take offense when I tell them to get the **** out.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
bdoughty said:
* If an average looking girl comes in to purchase Anime or and RPG they are still off limits, because two people who love Anime and RPG's really should not bee hooking up and breeding.

Damn, go in for the low blow :(

What's with your anti RPGer attitude?

bdoughty

Banned
djtiesto said:
Damn, go in for the low blow :(

What's with your anti RPGer attitude?

nerds.jpg

Cabf11.jpg

Well something like that.

bdoughty

Banned
PhoncipleBone said:
This thread is not laced with enough bitterness for it to truly be good. I am coming from ten years retail experience, most of it around movies and gaming. All my previous jobs had websites run by anonymous employees for us to whine and bitch about customers, and today driving home right before writing this I was thinking of making a similar thread.

I think there should be a sticky thread somewhere for us retail slaves, and have all posts limited to just bitching and moaning about customers. Would make for some interesting stories. There is more than enough bitching about employees, its time to see both sides.

Agreed and this was one of my favorites in the 6 months I trolled behind the Gamestop counter.

(recalls favorite conversation on phone and true story)

Customer: Yea how much is Madden 05?

Me: That game is $49.99 (this was just shortly after it was released)

Customer: Walmart has it $49.92

Me: Okay, we have them in stock for $49.99

Customer: Can you price match?

Me: We do not price match without a flyer. If you bring in a flyer with the price on it we can call and verify the price and verify they have it in stock.

Customer: Man that sounds time consuming and I don't recall if they had a flyer and they were out of stock.

Me: Okay would you like me to hold one for you?

Customer: No , do you know anyone in town that has it cheaper?

Me: I only have access to our prices, where I am employeed at.

Customer: Well I bet you know places that sell it cheaper but won't tell me.

(this is where being polite had to take a backseat to an education)

Me: Look sir, I just work for Gamestop. They set the prices and it is my job to sell the products at the price the computer lists.

Customer: I bet you guys get discounts. Can't you get me an employee discount?

Me: Do you work at a Gamestop?

Customer: No I mean you buy it and sell it to me what you pay for it.

Me: Ahh very clever sir, except for the fact I have already purchased the game and if I was to buy another it could get me fired. The corporate office audits employee purchases to ensure we do not start our own little Gamestop Lite.

Customer: Well at least tell me how much I can get for the PS2 version of Madden 2001 for trade in.

Me: (realizes this will not end good) We are giving .50 store credit for that game.

Customer (enraged): But I payed $49.99 for the game.

Me: Yes, four years ago you would have seen around $20-25 in store credit. Unfortuantely at this time the supply has far exceeded the demand

Customer (stutters as that went way over his head): You... are just screwing me. Do you know what a rip off this is?

Me: We do not force anyone to purchase Gamestop products and or service. You are free to purchase Madden 05 wherever you please.

Customer: Yea well it darn sure won't be for $49.99.

Me: Do you by any chance shop at Dollar General and if so do you ask their employees where they can get stuff for fifty cents?

Customer (Confused by the advanced math involved - a few seconds later)

FU and then hangs up.

LOL

yeah, I've got some interesting consumer experiences too. In my case, a guy would ask for Madden 5000 instead of Madden 2005 :lol

But one of the weirdest experiences was when this older black woman (this will be relevant later in the story, heh) was trying to buy a GBA SP for her son.

her: "Can I see that GBA SP?"

me: (even though I'm really not supposed to do this) *hands her the package*

her: "hmm. Let me open it so I can see what it looks like"

me: "um, it looks just like that unit right over there, so you can play that to get an idea of what it's like" *points at demo unit for GBA SP that's 2 feet away*

her: "But I want to see what this one looks like. I'm gonna pay for it anyway, it's not like I'm gonna steal it or something"

me: "Well, I can go ahead and ring you up for the sale, and then you can do whatever you like with it ma'am"

her: "What are you racist? If I was white you'd let me open it I bet!"

my black ass looking on in confusion: "Um, it has nothing to do with race ma'am, and there's a demo unit right next to you if you want to see what it looks like. Like I said, once you pay for it, you can whatever you want with the packaging. Same thing applies to any other customer."

her: *buys the GBA SP and walks away disgusted*

me: "oooookaaay..."

terrene

Banned
PezRadar said:
Once again.. Im not a counter monkey at gamestop..

I work at gamestop but I do not work behind a counter..

I make good money too.
I wasn't even referring to you, retard. See post #41. Not that being a manager at Gamestop is super-cool, either. (Let me guess, first you make sure your halfwit employees are shoving used games down everyone's throat, then you supervise game re-sealing, then it's off to snort coke out of a Brazillian stripper's asscrack, right?)

Razoric

Banned
All I ask GS/EB employees is quit PUSHING shit on me. You ask me if I have any used games and/or want a used copy of a game once that's cool, it's your job. You ask me 2-3 more times, push stratagy guides, game insurence (LOL), and whatever other shit you have in your store is a bit much.

And I'm not any of those customers you speak of. I go in the store to buy what I want, not to chit chat with the clerk behind the counter.

And again... NO I DO NOT WANT YOUR USED GAMES SHUT THE HELL UP. :D

bdoughty said:
Trust me I could also have a field day being a jerk to someone who has worked at a Gamestop. Has nothing to do with the point of the thread and not limited to game employees but humans in general. But like those kids from Kansas sang, "Carry on my wayward son."

Some late teener here sounds bitter because he can't get a real job.

Stop being an ass, you make a little above minimum wage. The lowest guys on the food chain (you) get all the shit. Deal with it or go into another line of work.

terrene said:
I wasn't even referring to you, retard. See post #41. Not that being a manager at Gamestop is super-cool, either. (Let me guess, first you make sure your halfwit employees are shoving used games down everyone's throat, then you supervise game re-sealing, then it's off to snort coke out of a Brazillian stripper's asscrack, right?)

um, I'm guessing he could work at the corporate headquarters in IT or something, lol. Wouldn't have to do any "used game shoving" in that case.

and lol at this (what I assumed to be relatively lighthearted) thread being shot to hell

Ranger X

Razoric said:
All I ask GS/EB employees is quit PUSHING shit on me. You ask me if I have any used games and/or want a used copy of a game once that's cool, it's your job. You ask me 2-3 more times, push stratagy guides, game insurence (LOL), and whatever other shit you have in your store is a bit much.

And I'm not any of those customers you speak of. I go in the store to buy what I want, not to chit chat with the clerk behind the counter.

And again... NO I DO NOT WANT YOUR USED GAMES SHUT THE HELL UP. :D

But then again the clerks can't read your mind and they have to offer their services because people don't know jack shit about pretty much anything.
I won't tell you how many times i've received thanks for asking them if they want the insurance or and Edge Card and such.
If you always go at the same store and same employee is answering you then ok, he could remember what type of consumer you are and he shouldn't waste his time asking you all the stuff again. But otherwise, you're supposed to understand why the clerks are asking you stuff. And what's frustrating about answering a simple and polite "no" to a question really. Either you're kidding or you sound like the guy that is angry waiting for 2-5 minutes at the grocery store.

Razoric

Banned
Ranger X said:
But then again the clerks can't read your mind and they have to offer their services because people don't know jack shit about pretty much anything.
I won't tell you how many times i've received thanks for asking them if they want the insurance or and Edge Card and such.
If you always go at the same store and same employee is answering you then ok, he could remember what type of consumer you are and he shouldn't waste his time asking you all the stuff again. But otherwise, you're supposed to understand why the clerks are asking you stuff. And what's frustrating about answering a simple and polite "no" to a question really. Either you're kidding or you sound like the guy that is angry waiting for 2-5 minutes at the grocery store.

Nah I'm always nice, it's just my thought process on the inside. I always think to myself "oh here we go" the second I walk into EB. "HEY USED GAMES YOU HAVE ANY?!?!?" "WE HAVE A USED VERSION OF THAT GAME YOU ARE LOOKING AT! HE HE!!"

Overall though I don't care it's more funny than anything. Just making a global statement... Razoric does not want your used games. :p

MoxManiac

* If an average looking girl comes in to purchase Anime or and RPG they are still off limits, because two people who love Anime and RPG's really should not bee hooking up and breeding.

I hate anime, but I ask, why is it bad that two people with similar interests get together?

MoxManiac said:
I hate anime, but I ask, why is it bad that two people with similar interests get together?

Don't mind him, he's just a smug prick with a superiority complex because he works in a game store.

Wow, how I wish I could make minimum wage by wroking behind a counter.....

Gio_CoD

Banned
The first time a clerk tried to sell me game insurance I literally laughed out loud at the absurdity of it. I understand everyone's out to make a buck, but come on... ****ing game insurance?

Plus, I think it's hilarious how accepting the general public has become to 3rd party extended warranties and such. The company selling you the product is basically saying it's a piece of shit that will probably break, and as such, you should give them more money to fix the piece of shit that they sold you. It used to be thought that companies would have some sort of confidence in the products they sell. That's why I buy pretty much everything at Walmart. When I bought a PSP at Walmart that had dead pixels, I just kept returning the bitch until I got one I could live with. I didn't need an extended warranty from EB or BestBuy.

****ing game insurance... lol.

aoi tsuki

Haleon said:
The first time a clerk tried to sell me game insurance I literally laughed out loud at the absurdity of it. I understand everyone's out to make a buck, but come on... ****ing game insurance?

Plus, I think it's hilarious how accepting the general public has become to 3rd party extended warranties and such. The company selling you the product is basically saying it's a piece of shit that will probably break, and as such, you should give them more money to fix the piece of shit that they sold you. It used to be thought that companies would have some sort of confidence in the products they sell. That's why I buy pretty much everything at Walmart. When I bought a PSP at Walmart that had dead pixels, I just kept returning the bitch until I got one I could live with. I didn't need an extended warranty from EB or BestBuy.

****ing game insurance... lol.
i got an extended warranty from EB for my PSP because it was a launch system. i'm generally against buying extended warranties unless the product is expensive and something i can't fix myself, and if i agree with the terms of the coverage. You better believe i'm getting some sort of coverage on my PS3.

But those game protection gaurantees are simply laughable. i remember when the EB manager tried to sell me on the idea. "I get one on all my games, and when I let one of my friends borrow a game, I charge 'em three bucks. If the game is scratched up when I get it back, I just get a new one!" How 'bout you have friends who aren't douches and take care of other people's things or just don't loan them games?

Ranger X

Razoric said:
Nah I'm always nice, it's just my thought process on the inside. I always think to myself "oh here we go" the second I walk into EB. "HEY USED GAMES YOU HAVE ANY?!?!?" "WE HAVE A USED VERSION OF THAT GAME YOU ARE LOOKING AT! HE HE!!"

Overall though I don't care it's more funny than anything. Just making a global statement... Razoric does not want your used games. :p

ahh i see ;)

Google

So, one question...

How are the Gamestop/EBGames employees meant to know that you detest Insurance and pre-owned games?

There simply must be a market for the above services, so why the hell are some of you so against them?

Its a shop, you walk in, buy something, walk away...They ask you a couple of questions, you say no thanks, you walk out!

Stop overreacting to simple sales spiel!

Google said:
So, one question...

How are the Gamestop/EBGames employees meant to know that you detest Insurance and pre-owned games?

There simply must be a market for the above services, so why the hell are some of you so against them?

Its a shop, you walk in, buy something, walk away...They ask you a couple of questions, you say no thanks, you walk out!

Stop overreacting to simple sales spiel!

It's a constant LENGTHY sales spiel that they feed you no matter how many times you are in there. And to top it off half these register monkeys can't take NO for an answer. If I tell you no to your shitty services, don't fire me a dirty look or question why.

The only market for your services is for the stupid who can't see through the BS. BAsically the same people who willingly buy the gutted games for the price of a new game.... even though it fits the store's policy for USED and should be priced as such.

YOU WORK IN A SHITTY VIDEO GAME STORE MAKING SLIGHTLY ABOVE SLAVE WAGES, DROP THE DAMN ATTITUDE. GET A REAL JOB AND GET OUT OF YOUR PARENT'S BASEMENT YOU SNARKY ASSWIPES.

bdoughty

Banned
Outcast2004 said:
Some late teener here sounds bitter because he can't get a real job.

Stop being an ass, you make a little above minimum wage. The lowest guys on the food chain (you) get all the shit. Deal with it or go into another line of work.

Had you payed attention to post #1 I clearly state on that I only did it part time and just for the discounts, which ended up dropping from 20% to 15%. I do just fine thank you and have nothing to do with retail in my full time job.

It also has nothing to do with being the lowest man on the food chain. It has to do with working retail. There are people who do make a descent living. Based on your logic it is okay to drive by an heckle roofers and janitors because they are on the low end of the pay spectrum. They make less money then you so they deserve it am I rite???? (/sigh)

The after effect of dealing with some of you guys behind the counter.

509021.jpg

bdoughty

Banned
Outcast2004 said:
Don't mind him, he's just a smug prick with a superiority complex because he works in a game store.

Wow, how I wish I could make minimum wage by wroking behind a counter.....

Oh how I wished they taught reading comprehension at your High School. Top to bottom going left to right. Give it a try as it will benefit you in future threads.

If only we could all be Gordlike...

http://www.actsofgord.com/

Reality is we all have (things/groups of people) we despise. Call it whatever you want but my list is pretty simple on the top end of the scale.

RPG/Anime fan, Nascar Fan, Dallas Cowboy Fan & Wraslin' Fan

When two of the above become married and procreate there is a high statistical % that their young un's will follow suit.

bdoughty said:
Reality is we all have (things/groups of people) we despise. Call it whatever you want but my list is pretty simple on the top end of the scale.

RPG/Anime fan, Nascar Fan, Dallas Cowboy Fan & Wraslin' Fan

When two of the above become married and procreate there is a high statistical % that their young un's will follow suit.

You're not doing anything to disprove the opinion of you being a smug prick with a superiority complex. You have insulted EVERYONE in this thread for their gaming choices and/or the WAY they buy their games.

If you hate people so much, why even bother with getting a job where you have to interact with *shock* people! And God forbid they buy something YOU don't like.... even though if it weren't for them buying their Maddens, WWE and Nascar games YOUR JOB (and the entire industry as a whole) wouldn't exist.

Besides, why the hell should you care WHAT they buy? Not like you're playing them. I assure you of this, if I was your employer and you came off with that attitude to ANY customer(phone or in person, deosn't matter) you'd be fired on the spot. I'm sure someone else has said that as well though.

Ranger X

Outcast2004 said:
You're not doing anything to disprove the opinion of you being a smug prick with a superiority complex.

If you hate people so much, why even bother with getting a job where you have to interact with *shock* people! And God forbid they buy something YOU don't like.... even though if it weren't for them buying their Maddens, WWE and Nascar games YOUR JOB (and the entire industry as a whole) wouldn't exist.

"At GAF, Bdoughty cannot humorise his posts and it's impossible to talk about the 2 sides of a coin. About retail, you don't have the right to make a thread about THE REALITY that many customers are jerks or annoying but only thread about clerks being jerks or being annoying."

Seriously man, why do you post here?? Do you not understand the subject of the thread and it's thread starter? Or maybe i'm all wrong here and it's only the clerks that are assholes heh?

Ranger X said:
Seriously man, why do you post here?? Do you not understand the subject of the thread and it's thread starter? Or maybe i'm all wrong here and it's only the clerks that are assholes heh?

In his case yes. He sounds like an utterly miserable person who has a general distaste for EVERY customer.

His attempts at "humorizing" were shot down when he started insulting what everyone bought and if they should reproduce or not. I just find it ironic that a former counter monkey such as himself is calling out someone else for being an anime or gaming nerd.

Pot, meet kettle.

bdoughty

Banned
Ranger X said:
"At GAF, Bdoughty cannot humorise his posts and it's impossible to talk about the 2 sides of a coin. About retail, you don't have the right to make a thread about THE REALITY that many customers are jerks or annoying but only thread about clerks being jerks or being annoying."

It's that WWE stuff. Rots the brain worse the heroin. Of course some guys love watching sweaty men grapple each other in tight spandex. Just not my thing.

Until the NEOGaffer figures out that the guy behind the counter is simply a puppet and throw their endless bitches and complaints to the puppetmaster (Corporate HQ) they are just blowing hot air and wasting bandwith. I mean is it really that hard to say "No thanks, I apprecaite that you are doing what your company requests of you to stay employeed but I do not need the extra service you offer."

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
bdoughty said:
It's that WWE stuff. Rots the brain worse the heroin. Of course some guys love watching sweaty men grapple each other in tight spandex. Just not my thing.

Until the NEOGaffer figures out that the guy behind the counter is simply a puppet and throw their endless bitches and complaints to the puppetmaster (Corporate HQ) they are just blowing hot air and wasting bandwith. I mean is it really that hard to say "No thanks, I apprecaite that you are doing what your company requests of you to stay employeed but I do not need the extra service you offer."

You wouldn't believe how many GS/EB employees seem to take it as a personal insult when you deny the warranty/strat.guide sale/prerder/used game sale.

bdoughty

Banned
Outcast2004 said:
In his case yes. He sounds like an utterly miserable person who has a general distaste for EVERY customer.

His attempts at "humorizing" were shot down when he started insulting what everyone bought and if they should reproduce or not. I just find it ironic that a former counter monkey such as himself is calling out someone else for being an anime or gaming nerd.

Pot, meet kettle.

Outcast, meet Reading for dummies.

I never once mentioned anything about mocking a person at the counter who purchased an RPG or Nascar game. I was always professional with the customer and let them buy what they wanted and only offer game suggestions when they asked. As for mocking them after the fact and when they are out of the building oh hell yes I did. I surely was not the first and I know I wont be the last.

Someone should strap your ingnorant ass into a chair and force you "Clockwork Orange style" to watch movies like Clerks and Office Space.

bdoughty

Banned
djtiesto said:
You wouldn't believe how many GS/EB employees seem to take it as a personal insult when you deny the warranty/strat.guide sale/prerder/used game sale.

This should affect you how? I am sure Mayor McCheese dies a little every time I do not get the delicious apple pie they try and sell me after placing the order. I still say no and can go on with life in a clear conscious.

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
Note to Gamestop/EB employees: Do not look like I just gut-punched your momma when I refuse to pre-order a game for the 3rd time when I am picking up a game I preordered.

Ranger X

Outcast2004 said:

I still think it's you judging very fast and getting upset of nothing.
It's a thread about BAD customers god damned it. Of course we are going to bring out the clichés and the worse cases. We are not going to explain what we love about customer service here just so you can judge us right you know.

I'm a positive person. I can talk to you only about the negative aspect of my life if i want. In this case again you would judge me as a negative person and you would be wrong.

Here it's to talk about bad customers. Why do you care so much about the person bdoughty could be?? We read your posts and it's so funny because you sound so much like you feel targeted.

bdoughty said:

I never once mentioned anything about mocking a person at the counter who purchased an RPG or Nascar game. I was always professional with the customer and let them buy what they wanted and only offer game suggestions when they asked. As for mocking them after the fact and when they are out of the building oh hell yes I do. I surely wont be the first and I know I wont be the last.

You need to follow your own advice, skippy.
Did I say you said it to their face? No, not at all. I said IN THIS THREAD you've insulted them. Take a look back at your posts, you bitter codger. Bububu reading comprehension...

Bascially I'm calling you out as being a hypocrite. Once agian, why the hell do you care what they buy?

Ranger X said:
I still think it's you judging very fast and getting upset of nothing.
It's a thread about BAD customers god damned it. Of course we are going to bring out the clichés and the worse cases. We are not going to explain what we love about customer service here just so you can judge us right you know.

I'm a positive person. I can talk to you only about the negative aspect of my life if i want. In this case again you would judge me as a negative person and you would be wrong.

Here it's to talk about bad customers. Why do you care so much about the person bdoughty could be?? We read your posts and it's so funny because you sound so much like you feel targeted.

Actually if you'd have taken the time to read his posts, he pretty much insulted everyone who buys a game in those stores. EVERYONE.

bdoughty said:

I never once mentioned anything about mocking a person at the counter who purchased an RPG or Nascar game. I was always professional with the customer and let them buy what they wanted and only offer game suggestions when they asked. As for mocking them after the fact and when they are out of the building oh hell yes I did. I surely was not the first and I know I wont be the last.

Someone should strap your ingnorant ass into a chair and force you "Clockwork Orange style" to watch movies like Clerks and Office Space.

You do realize that the characters in "Clerks" and "Office Space" are pretty much all giant assholes, right?

bdoughty

Banned
Outcast2004 said:
You need to follow your own advice, skippy.
Did I say you said it to their face? No, not at all. I said IN THIS THREAD you've insulted them. Take a look back at your posts, you bitter codger. Bububu reading comprehension...

Bascially I'm calling you out as being a hypocrite. Once agian, why the hell do you care what they buy?

OMG someone on the internet insulted another persons favorite video game genre. Someone pull the plug on the servers.

If I had a nickel for every post here at GAF that mocked sports games and/or gamers I could buy an NFL franchise. Rolls of back because not everyone likes sports games. Let them have the Pikachu.

------------- GAF Serach -------------

* Insert 4,034,459 replies of

You are just buying yearly roster updates, har har you morons.

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
taking a shitty part time job for a discount on video games is about the stupidest thing I've ever read about.

But please tell us more about why you hate WWE.

bdoughty

Banned
ghostlyjoe said:
You do realize that the characters in "Clerks" and "Office Space" are pretty much all giant assholes, right?

Yes and it can all be summed up by a quote from Randal.

"Cute cat, whats its name?"

"Annoying customer."

Simple solution... Stop being so damn annoying.

bdoughty

Banned
levious said:
taking a shitty part time job for a discount on video games is about the stupidest thing I've ever read about.

But please tell us more about why you hate WWE.

Yes having some free time + the ability to take free games home (rental) + 20% discount on new games + employee apprecaition discounts and only working 5-10 hours a week was just flat out moronic. When I could have been spending that time perfecting my WWE animated gif's to impress all my friends on internet forums.

Why do you care for the reasons I hate Wraslin'? Just keep posting doozies like the one above and you will have your answer.

Ranger X

Outcast2004 said:
Actually if you'd have taken the time to read his posts, he pretty much insulted everyone who buys a game in those stores. EVERYONE.

Everyone but me as it seems. I don't give a shit about anybody who would not like the games i like. Why should i care and debate during a whole thread about it??
Start a thread about prejudices towards game genres if you like. Also, It's gonna be alot more relevant to have this discussion there.

Top Bottom