• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How cracked does your phone screen have to get before you replace it?

How cracked is more than you can take?

• Who needs a screen, I'll just remote in from another phone!

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

jason10mm

Gold Member
Had a nice scratch right in the middle from a zipper, but then it fell all of 2 inches but caught the handle of some metal scissors so now I have a nice chip off an edge and spiderweb cracks across a third of the screen. I'm assuming that now more cracks are easier since the gorilla glass is compromised. Dammit Samsung, why have the fingerprint sensor on the screen? It was sooooo nice on the back so you could have a good screen protector and still unlock the phone quickly. No insurance since AT&T dropped me for 2 claims on my last phone. I feel like screen destruction is the inevitable fate of all phones, especially since they are now the size of a small book and thick cases are just....ick.

Here's hoping Samsung does another generous trade-in promo with the '24 models :p

Mistake

I have a fully enclosed case with a screen cover, so I don't worry too much about scratches. It has a lot now, but it's not unbearable or anything, and I find comfort knowing I can swap it out for something new. Legit cracks in the screen would drive me crazy

Last edited:

ReBurn

Gold Member
I haven't had a cracked screen in years. Last one was an IPhone 6 I think. I always use a tempered glass screen protector to take the damage and I'll change that when it gets cracked.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Been lucky. Never had a cracked screen ever. And only with company iphones do I even use a rubbery protective case. Before that, every Nokia, Samsung or Blackberry I never even used a case.

Last edited:

Kadve

Never cracked a screen. Guess ive been good when it comes to picking out quality smartphone brands.

Laptop1991

I've always used cases and screen protectors, so ,so far i'm lucky enough to never having had a cracked screen, i don't take my phone out a lot but i've dropped it on quite a few occasion's at home, i probably shouldn't have said this now, i'm tempting fate.

jason10mm

Gold Member
Good grief, I've cracked the screen of ever phone I've had since smartphones began, how an I the oddity here?

I feel like all you guys are using this
ZulNmnE.jpg

Or one of these...
XHTc15G.jpg

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
Why would I pay for this bullshit Apple Care+ if not to replace my entire phone at the slightest visual inconvenience?
JZTeNbp.jpg

Blade2.0

I'm cool with small cracks that can't be seen when it's on. Anything past that and I need a new phone. I keep my stuff in relatively good condition, though, so hopefully it wont come to that.

Good grief, I've cracked the screen of ever phone I've had since smartphones began, how an I the oddity here?

I feel like all you guys are using this
ZulNmnE.jpg

Or one of these...
XHTc15G.jpg
Let me guess, even though you've broken every phone you've ever owned, it's never occurred to you to use a case and screen protector

Sleepwalker

Ive cracked a few phones by dropping them at the gym, just ride for them a bit cracked if they work then swap them.

My last phone wasnt cracked but developed a black mark down the middle of the screen so it had to go anyway

jason10mm

Gold Member
Let me guess, even though you've broken every phone you've ever owned, it's never occurred to you to use a case and screen protector
Sure, I keep a case on every phone. But as I mentioned, with the increasing use of on screen fingerprint readers and overall larger size of the phone, that stuff has downsides. Given the "gorilla glass 25! 5x harder than diamond" marketing for these screens you'd think they could hack a 2 inch fall.

Sure, I keep a case on every phone. But as I mentioned, with the increasing use of on screen fingerprint readers and overall larger size of the phone, that stuff has downsides. Given the "gorilla glass 25! 5x harder than diamond" marketing for these screens you'd think they could hack a 2 inch fall.
Materials science is actually kind of fascinating. You might be interested to know that hardness and brittleness are correlated. It makes sense, the less flexible something is, the harder it is to bend. But if you bend it hard enough, it will simply snap in half. Conversely, if something is hard, it's difficult to scratch. If it is soft, it's way easier to scratch.

So phone glass has to strike a hardness balance. If it's too hard, it shatters easily. If it's too soft, it scratches easily. And while Gorilla Glass is more durable than the glass in your window panes, it can't be too hard or too soft. What I'm saying is use a fucking screen protector.

My OnePlus 10T has an under screen fingerprint reader and reads my finger through the screen protector just fine.

Last edited:

Gp1

The right option is... "Is the touch fully operational and the glass ain't going to cut my finger?"

The Stig

once the hybrid film screen protector (that costs like 10 bucks) gets cracked.

then I replace the screen protector.

replacing the screen was something I did back in the iphone 3gs days, it was expensive and time consuming.
buy decent screen protectors, kids.

eddie4

Genuinely Generous
Screen protector and an ok case, nothing too crazy. I just have the case on for resale value once I'm done with it. Screen protector helps. My wife has dropped her phone twice and cracked the screen protector. Rather spend $10 on a screen protector then $300 for a new screen.

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
A few years ago I got a new phone and it picked up a scratch in a week. You couldn't see it most of the time, but I knew it was there and it really bothered me.

Since then, I always get a screen protector for scratches and a case with a raised lip around the screen.

It really surprises me how many phone cases seem designed to protect as little of the phone as possible. I want to be able to keep the screen looking good for as long as I want to use the phone for.

When I got my current phone I sold my old one and it was perfect once I took the case off, which meant it was worth having to the buyer and easier for me to sell.

winjer

Gold Member
I never cracked any of my phones screen.
I always use a nice good case. And it's extremely rare for me to drop my phones.

But this thread reminds me of a friend I had a few years ago. Dude bought a brand new iPhone, top of the line. And everyone was telling him to put a case on it.
Just a week after he bought it, he dropped it and cracked the screen. The damage was spread out across 1/3 of the screen. But it still worked.
The funny thing is that he didn't have money left to replace it or fix the iPhone.

Days like these...

Have a Blessed Day
Had a nice scratch right in the middle from a zipper, but then it fell all of 2 inches but caught the handle of some metal scissors so now I have a nice chip off an edge and spiderweb cracks across a third of the screen. I'm assuming that now more cracks are easier since the gorilla glass is compromised. Dammit Samsung, why have the fingerprint sensor on the screen? It was sooooo nice on the back so you could have a good screen protector and still unlock the phone quickly. No insurance since AT&T dropped me for 2 claims on my last phone. I feel like screen destruction is the inevitable fate of all phones, especially since they are now the size of a small book and thick cases are just....ick.

Here's hoping Samsung does another generous trade-in promo with the '24 models :p
I've never cracked or broken a phone. No insurance no case.

Get a Huawei

Last edited:

Banjo64

cumsessed
I just make sure I keep my phones for 2 years - usually by that time there’s some cracks appearing but not enough to render the phone unusable. Currently on an iPhone 12 mini that I only bought in April and it’s still in pristine condition.

Last edited:

Banjo64

cumsessed
I've never cracked my phone screen. What the fuck are you guys doing with your phones?
Dropping them? 😭 I dunno man. I try and be careful and have cases and screen protectors but all it takes is one slip of the grip on the ground outside or on a tiled floor and you’re in the hands of god.

Hudo

Dropping them? 😭 I dunno man. I try and be careful and have cases and screen protectors but all it takes is one slip of the grip on the ground outside or on a tiled floor and you’re in the hands of god.
Then it seems that I've been blessed with luck*: Even though I rarely drop my phone, it never once cracked or got visibly damaged when in the cases where I dropped it.

*now that I have talked about it, I probably jinxed it...

nush

I've never had a cracked screen, ever, I don't have some fancy cover on my phone either; fix your grip.
Same, it’s just carelessness AND phone addiction that makes most of these broken screens.

I personally think that's probably because I had handhelds back in the day Lynx, Gamegear, PC Engine GT. They were damn expensive for a young guy so you made sure nothing happened to them. I certainly wasn't walking around everywhere fixated on them.

Trunx81

I recently made the mistake and used my cracked iPhone longer than it was good for .. Suddenly the screen started to make inputs by itself, like pushing in the wrong PIN. Long story short, it got completely blocked, so that after the screen change I had to reset it to factory level. That REALLY sucked.
Get your screens replaced! It´s also not that difficult to do it yourself, depending on your phone. Already replaced an iPhone 6s+ screen two times (my daughter is using it)

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
Ive never cracked a phone screen and I still dont get how you fools do it so often. Learn to handle your liquor and stop being a such a klutz. Jesus :messenger_grinning_smiling:

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
All phones and technology gets beat up over time, I thought Apple phones were on borrowed time regardless as it’s speculated battery life regresses over time.

Top Bottom