• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

That swift sense of feeling stupid when you crack your phone's screen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
Ten years. I've had almost every iPhone model since the original's launch, and I've made it almost ten years without cracking a screen. No screen protectors. No case. Naked.

But today, I was running late to the airport and when I slid out of my driver's seat, I heard the horrific clank of my iPhone 7 Plus hitting the ground. Dammit! I had it sitting between my legs - not my cup holder like I normally do.

Face down.

I'd been here a couple times before but had gotten lucky.

I picked it up. And my luck has run out.

Just a catastrophe. Cracked on both sides at the top - a spider web of pain pushing its way toward the center. It's apparent to anyone sitting near me, now, that I'm one of those people. "It just happened, I swear!" It's like driving down the freeway with your door crushed in and your bumper dragging as you pray your car can make it home after a wreck.

I'm thankful, though, that it's still *usable." I can still do my job. I can capably do my tasks on this work trip. But man, had I just stopped to think for one second. Had I put my phone in the right place. Had I grabbed it before I got out of my car. The last thing I wanted to do was wake up at 4am for a flight away from home; but this makes the anger a little more tactile.

Anyway. Share your phone-ruining horror stories.

obin_gam

I saw retroactively in slow motion my hand being out of control, moving the fingers so they would touch, just slightly, the mint green phone on the edge closest to the wall.

The weak force of the fingers, was enough to make the glossy glass back of the machine swivel in a direction were I did not want it to move.

I couldn't do anything. I had no power of speed enough in my hands to place them underneath the object's path, downwards, 20 centimeter, to the floor.

It stopped down there. On the upper right corner, and slowly fell down to its backside again.

A small crack appeared. A small crack that, because of the manufacturers idiocy, made the damage total.

From "The 2 second Horror", by obin_gam

I'm thankful, though, that it's still *usable." I can still do my job. I can capably do my tasks on this work trip. But man, had I just stopped to think for one second. Had I put my phone in the right place. Had I grabbed it before I got out of my car. The last thing I wanted to do was wake up at 4am for a flight away from home; but this makes the anger a little more tactile.

Or had you spent $15 on a tempered glass screen protector.

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
Or had you spent $15 on a tempered glass screen protector.

I've made fun of my co-worker that I share an office with, cause his phone screen has cracked twice since the 7 came out, and he uses one.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
I think I've cracked three screens in the past 2 years. I've never been stuck with a cracked phone for more than a week though. I'm rough with my toys. Stay away from tequila and 151 if you don't want to break your phone.

VAD

Of all the times I dropped my phones, it landed on their back. I also use a case and now that I have been robbed of one out of my hands, I always hold it cautiously and firmly when outside. So I never have had an accident
yet

my LGG3 has been dropped to the ground screen first countless times (almost weekly), it has fallen from upwards of 5 meters, this thing has not cracked. i dunno what magic they used in that one.

i'm very clumsy

Ishan

My first iphone didn't have any issues inspite of me drinking , running around with it etc and my friends insisting I get a case for a year and a half . The way it cracked was me playing baseball as a joke with friends while wearing a long indian shirt (kurta) mid afternoon fully sober.. That swing sent my iphone flying out the shirt pocket onto the road and cue my buds saying I told you so ... And me looking annoyed at their smug faces :)

Lum1n3s

I'm right here with you OP, my iPhone 6s+ didn't make it through Christmas and I've always made sure to never let anything bad happen. Was playing a video game and kept on dying which got me salty and well, I let the anger get the best of me so I slammed my controller on my bed and my iPhone just so happened to be next to me :L. Still usable and I had tempered glass on my phone but it didn't save it sadly.

I've made fun of my co-worker that I share an office with, cause his phone screen has cracked twice since the 7 came out, and he uses one.

Is he a careless moron? A careless moron can break anything. You get a good tempered glass protector and 9 times out of 10 it'll crack before the screen itself does.

I've owned an iPhone since the 3GS and I now use the 7, never cracked a screen. Always had tempered glass screen protectors and cases on my phones. I've dropped my phones several times face first while I had them sitting on my lap and getting out of my car. Hate when I do that, lol.

el jacko

It's happened once, even though I've always had cases. Fell facedown on an uneven street, onto a pebble! Now I have cases with a cover flap, which is also great because it can hold subway cards and the like.

A different time, however, it fell in the toilet, right out of my back pocket, as I was flushing! Somehow, I don't know why, it still worked afterwards.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Is he a careless moron? A careless moron can break anything. You get a good tempered glass protector and 9 times out of 10 it'll crack before the screen itself does.

Are there good ones for the coreved screen edges of the iPhone 6 onwards? They all seem too conspicuous to me so I'm managing with just a case with a small lip, and crossed fingers

Ray Wonder

Founder of the Wounded Tagless Children
I was at a football game with my stepdad, and he dropped his iPhone 5 on the concrete at our feet, it slid forward under the rails in front of us, and dropped about 10' to the walkway below. The phone survived with a ding on the corner, and it had no case on. I was baffled.

TheBowen

Sat alone in a boggy marsh
Never cracked a screen, but have dropped it multiple times in clubs. And dropped it down a toilet in a club 3 weeks ago

The feeling is horrible

jadedm17

I think I've cracked three screens in the past 2 years. I've never been stuck with a cracked phone for more than a week though. I'm rough with my toys. Stay away from tequila and 151 if you don't want to break your phone.

Zero cracked and i drink all the time, but admittedly i hardly go anywhere.

I have lost several pieces to my Xbox Elite Controller; Sober obsession with the magnetic pieces translated to drunkenly misplacing a few one night. They didnt leave my house but they havent been seen since.

Spenny

I have never cracked a screen by dropping my phone. In the few times I have dropped one I always break the fall with my foot (even when completely wasted). My SO on the other hand has dropped and cracked the screen of every phone she's had over the past five years. It's insane.

mf.luder

OP, same as you. Every model since the OG and I finally cracked a screen this summer. Hasn't made me put a case on though.

When I cracked my iPad 4's screen due to a compromised (damaged) case. The shame. The regret. :(

Replace your badly damaged cases folks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom