• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How do I utterly destroy Final Fantasy Tactics' balance

Final Fantasy Tactics is a game I've always enjoyed, but I've never managed to beat. The story, the music, the characters are all fantastic. But I just don't have the mind to play an SRPG correctly.

I recently procured the PSP remake and I want to beat the game. I hear there are ways to obliterate Tactics' balance (not counting just spamming TG Cid. I almost beat the game with him, but couldn't finish the final dungeons). So how do I do it? I feel like my life is going to be incomplete until I beat this game.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
1. Get T.G. Cid (a.k.a. Orlandu)

2. Win.

Edit: missed that.. Can't win with Cid?? :(

This is something I've heard before, but whenever I've tried using calculators, they kind of fell flat on their faces.

I have a love-hate relationship with SRPGs. I love the gameplay, but I'm absolutely no good at them. I end up getting discouraged and then dropping them.

Big-E

This is something I've heard before, but whenever I've tried using calculators, they kind of fell flat on their faces.

I have a love-hate relationship with SRPGs. I love the gameplay, but I'm absolutely no good at them. I end up getting discouraged and then dropping them.

Have a few calculators that know holy. Equip them with holy absorb gear. Calculate level even or odd or something like that and watch everything die.

Mikey Jr.

If you kinda want to actually play the game, go ninja. They always fuck shit up. I mean, like, EVERYONE ninja.

Do they have the double hit attack, or was that monk?

5. Ninjas with Thief secondary (Steal Heart) or Monk secondary (Gaia Gear?) pretty much obliterate everything. And it's fast.

But to be honest there are tons of combos to destroy anything. It'd be best if you told with what you have the most trouble.

If you kinda want to actually play the game, go ninja. They always fuck shit up. I mean, like, EVERYONE ninja.

Do they have the double hit attack, or was that monk?

Double hit. Monks are bare hand.

flawfuls

Get a calculator plus at least one super strong attack spell like holy or flare, set it to AI and just watch it win every fight in two turns. Also don't ever actually keep the calculator on the calculator job once you have all of the needed skills. It's an awful awful class stat wise.

Servizio

I don't really need a tag, but I figured I'd get one to make people jealous. Is it working?
Break the game you say?

8ho3EoA.gif

And yes, it involves ninjas.

One thing you can do is putting auto-potion on ramza to cover his defenses, and then running away using Tailwind to raise his speed. After a while you'll get 10 turns each time.

Yeah, I always mastered Ninja for the TwoSwords skill (which lets you attack twice), then go back to Knight or Monk for full attack power and just equip the TwoSwords skill - boom, you're dealing massive damage with every hit now, since every since attack is doubled.

Also, to level up, you can just beat all the enemies in a level until only one is left and instead of attacking it heal it all the time and attack your team mates - that still gives you full XP and AP for each round. You can easily get like 3k XP in one battle that way and quickly master any job.

Oh, and: Don't play the PSP or iOS version, they're just insanely shitty across the bank.

Drek

If you don't want to use Cid and you don't deal with Calcs well the best way to break the game is some extra grinding early on.

Basically, as soon as you get the freedom to move around the world map more than a location or two at once just start moving from random map to town and back. Grind up levels. Focus a couple of your people on the following level up tree:
Chemist Lv2 > Priest Lv2 > Oracle Lv2 > Mediator.

Then you'll have the Invite ability. About the time you do this you should also start seeing humans pop up in the random battles you're fighting. At this point you start actively inviting every human opponent you can. The maps will be a bit of a slog early on but once you recruit a couple people off the map you'll get:
1. some powerful new characters already leveled up.
2. all the scaled up equipment they had, without having to pay for it.

I've done this to a net levels of about 30 for Ramza or so and then rolled over the rest of the game without much effort. Whole lot of one hit kills.

Everyone telling you to use calculators are half right. They can obliterate the entire board in one turn if they choose, however they're slow as all hell. The battle could be over before you get the chance to use them, and they take forever to level in combat.

Take a mage unit (black, white, time), turn them into a calculator and send them out on "jobs" when in town to earn jp that way. They'll max out in no time. switch them back to a mage, then add the calculate skill. they'll be able to cast any spell with no wait time and basically infinite range. just don't blow yourself up and you can cruise through the game with nothing to stop you.

edit: holy absorb gear combined with spamming holy makes it impossible for even blowing yourself up to happen, so yeah- calculate plus holy=win button

Getting a ninja as soon as you can (maybe in the first chapter?) always made the game really easy for me. I could have been all the grinding for me to get there in the first chapter though.

Shinjica

1) Have Ramza learn Heavy armor from knight job
2) Transform him in Monk or ninja
3) equip heavy armor perk
4) ???
5) Profit

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
tbqh monks with double weapon is more dangerous than ninjas with bare fist.

Other notable broken stuff include auto potion -> X Potion, Holy calculation + holy absorb garb, all dancer with invisibility + ramza mime with vanish reaction

Skunkers

Monk
Squire as secondary skill
Two Swords as passive skill
Hamedo as reaction skill (Or Blade Grasp for random battles)
Teleport/Move+X/whatever as move skill

-Use Accumulate/Focus every turn you have nothing to do, even going as far as to stay in place at the beginning of the battle; doing it while you wait for the enemies to come to you.

-Use Wave Fist on single enemies you can't reach for melee, or Earth Slash where two or more are lined up.

-Use normal attacks on anyone you can reach; the bonus from repeatedly raising your attack power with Focus/Accumulate, combined with the innate high physical damage monks do, combined with the fact you hit everything twice with Two Swords, means you will basically one shot everything.

-If your physical attack is high enough, even your Wave Fists will one shot enemies.

-Because you have Hamedo, any enemy that tries to physically attack you will get murdered before they even get a chance to attack, because Two Swords applies to Hamedo as well. I said use Blade Grasp for random battles, because Hamedo doen't work against monsters; most of the story battle have mainly human opponents.

-Chakra lets you self-heal

This build positively wrecks shit through the entire game, with a bit of grinding you can easily have it in Act 1.

It's hard NOT to break FFT (which is a big part of why I love it so much).

But yeah, just give Ramza Blade Grasp, 97 Brave, Two Swords, and Move+3/Teleport and give him two knight swords (absolutely give him the Excalibur as soon as you get Orlandu in your party - sorry, Orlandu!) and he becomes nearly immune to physical attacks and can run around one-hit killing practically everything you encounter.

Also, abuse Yell/Accumulate if you're having a hard time early on. Ramza with both of those skills (and good movement) can pretty much wipe the floor with entire encounters singlehandedly even early in the game once you take a couple of turns to beef him up.

Alias Greed

Neo Member
Just leave 1 enemy alive per battle, heal yourself as required and spam accumulate skill from the squire I think it was. You'll max out all your Job Points in an instant.

Vamphuntr

That fight is so easy if you have squire's skills and high movement. Spam squire skills that increase your stat and kill him in one hit.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Just want to say fuck Wiegraf, that's all.

He breaks the game's balance pretty well...

Wiegraf is very easy to exploit.

Have Ramza be a chemist (so he wields a gun) with auto-pot X pots and equip armor and Squire skills. Spam Accumulate and Yell as you run around.

shark sandwich

tenuously links anime, pedophile and incels
2 Black/White/Time/Summoner mages with calculate ability
1 Ninja (or other melee-type character) with dance ability
2 Mimes

Every calculated spell gets repeated 3 times. Every dance gets repeated 3 times. Use your Ninja to go in and mop up whatever's left of your enemies by the time you reach them.

Notes:
- Holy is the most powerful calculate-able spell
- The only two dances I ever use are slow dance (permanently reduces an enemy's speed by 1 every time it hits), and nameless dance (does a random status effect every time it hits)
- Calculator is the worst class in the game. You should not be playing as a calculator. Just learn all the calculate abilities and put them on a different mage-type class.
- Actually, you can put calculate on whatever class you want. Pretty much nothing can withstand getting nailed by Holy 3 times in a row, regardless of your magic attack power.
- Holy-absorbing gear is great. Then you can indiscriminately fire off Holy and heal your characters at the same time as a bonus.

Top Bottom