• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How do you approach a parent that has been brainwashed by right-wing extremism?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, my story is the same as many here, my dad started consuming more and more right-wing extremist media via Facebook as the years went by, becoming more and more of a extremist himself in the process.

I've already done the usual things as unfollowing his posts on social media (I have family on facebook and on a whatsapp group only) and such, but I still find myself going into his FB profile from time to time to see wtf he's been posting, since you know, I do care about family.

The thing is, it makes me miserable seeing him spewing this baseless, toxic rhetoric. The thing with right-wing extremism is that is completely devoid of base in reality and that scares me to the point that I begin to wonder if he's slowly fading into dementia or Alzheimer's (family has a history). He is not that old (55) so I keep that concern out of my mind for now.

What boggles my mind most of anything is that when I was a kid he was all "don't believe everything you read on the internet, do your research, know your sources, etc" and I've taken that shit to heart (had internet access since really early age) and I kinda proud myself on my ability to discern things that are and aren't real on the internet. Now, years later, he keeps posting those bullshit blogs with fake news and shit. Like, wtf, has he even heard himself years ago? He's worked with IT all his life also, so he's not technologically illiterate, that's not the problem.

I was brought up to think rationally about things, not let my emotions get the best of me etc etc, and that ended up bringing me to the left. Academia and evidence-based research does that to you I guess.

How do you approach a parent to make them discern what they read and the opinions they form? How best to educate them about what's wrong on these shitposts that they keep sharing?

The way I see, the issues with this spewed rhetoric emblazed in false cognitions and lack of evidence are so deep that I don't even know where to begin. Maybe I just wanted to vent, I don't know.

I didn't want to confront on Facebook but we see eachother so little now (we live 250km apart) that I don't think there's another way to start doing it. I guess there's always private chat.

My biggest fear that he is so deep on the rabbit hole that it will come a point in our lives that we won't be able to see eye to eye on life and I really don't want that to happen. I guess I already don't respect him in many ways now as I did in the past.

That and he developing dementia/Alzheimer's, heh.

(Redirect me to Breitbart and vote for Le Pen if there's already a topic about that)

I am in a similar situation with my Grandmother. Wish I could give you a real answer here, but I hit a wall with her, and I've basically given up for the most part. She really has no willingness to want to hear the other side, and she dismisses everything that I try to show her from reputable sources. Applying logic to her views has proven just as pointless, she just kind of rectons anything and everything to her side.

ZOONAMI

Put a Fox News sticker over the MSNBC logo on his tv and just keep MSNBC on all the time and see if he notices.

I am in a similar situation with my Grandmother. Wish I could give you a real answer here, but I hit a wall with her, and I've basically given up for the most part. She really has no willingness to want to hear the other side, and she dismisses everything that I try to show her from reputable sources. Applying logic to her views has proven just as pointless, she just kind of rectons anything and everything to her side.

This really gets me, all politics rhetoric that I see in social media is blind hatred for the other side now, the bubble effect seems quite real. It seemed to be mostly one-sided from the right at first but most of my leftist friends bought on this hate-induced politics also, albeit in a slightly different way that right-wing folks do, the root is the same.

Some people are discussing such pedestrian things disguised as politics on the internet, buying all this false rhetoric that I can't even.

Put a Fox News sticker over the MSNBC logo on his tv and just keep MSNBC on all the time and see if he notices.

We are not americans tho.
He does not have cable television on his house, only uses the internet.

Javaman

I don't even bother trying to convert people or family members. I have ones on both extremes and realized a long time ago that it's not worth trying. They all have different life experiences and bubbles that they live in that are different than my own. I don't let their political or religious beliefs define them to me. Stop trying to convert people into your own way of thinking and just accept them for who they are.

linkboy

I avoid talking about politics with my dad. It just leads to way to many issues between us.

Pisses me off so much since it's ruined our relationship.

Dabanton

His opinions are probably hardened now unfortunately. Any attempt to discuss things will probably lead to fraught exchanges.

Dementia/Alzheimer's doesn't make you Alt-Right.

Being Alt-Right is a combination of conscious choice, peer influence, personal fear/anxiety and personal prejudice.

Iorv3th

Try to get him to spend less time on facebook. Facebook is a terrible echo chamber.

I have family/friends that are on both sides and some of them post/share the most absolutely fake and vile stuff on the left and right. They always have people cheering them on too that believe them.

They also probably get a lot of attention with likes and comments on it so they are more likely to post more of that stuff.

I don't even bother trying to convert people or family members. I have ones on both extremes and realized a long time ago that it's not worth trying. They all have different life experiences and bubbles that they live in that are different than my own. I don't let their political or religious beliefs define them.

There's a point that it does tho, since every aspect of life is permeated with politics.

Try to get him to spend less time on facebook. Facebook is a terrible echo chamber.

I have family/friends that are on both sides and some of them post/share the most absolutely fake and vile stuff on the left and right. They always have people cheering them on too that believe them.

They also probably get a lot of attention with likes and comments on it so they are more likely to post more of that stuff.

I did try.

He did get more attention before, but since last year or so I've noticed that less and less people share and likes these posts that he shares.
Unless is about corruption, people here are crazy like corruption is the one and only cause our country is like this.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
I mean, you don't. They're an adult. They've formed an opinion. They are not asking for your help or to be rescued. They have agency. Yes, this stuff is toxic garbage that makes them a miserable person and hurts their relationships, but that's part of what being an adult is -- making choices. It's all well and good to look at this from the perspective that they need to wake up and face facts, but they're probably looking at it from the perspective that you need to do the same. It doesn't matter that you're factually right and they're wrong, because we're interested in human behaviour and the motivations behind it, not winning Cosmic Truth and Rationality Points.

You can try to find some common ground on things you still agree with them about. If that doesn't work, you make it very clear that you are not interested in engaging with them on political issues and you stop the derail when the conversation turns to politics. "I love you, Dad, but my life is stressful enough and I don't want to have arguments or debates about politics." They probably don't want to hear your opinion either.

You set boundaries. If necessary, you unfollow them on Facebook (you should be unfollowing anyone who spams your Facebook with aggressive political opinions, whether you agree or not). If it is prolonged and intense and abusive, you begin ratcheting down your level of contact with them in general.

This isn't just a left-right thing, and it's not just a child-parent thing. There's always a struggle when someone is close to you but is a quack when it comes to one specific thing and just won't drop the issue.

guek

Banned
Dementia/Alzheimer's doesn't make you Alt-Right.

Being Alt-Right is a combination of conscious choice, peer influence, personal fear/anxiety and personal prejudice.

No one is saying it does. It's hard enough to change someone's mind about politics though. Dementia is going to make it exponentially more difficult if not impossible.

Javaman

There's a point that it does tho, since every aspect of life is permeated with politics.

Not in everyday life. The only time it really matters is when they vote, but due to the electorate system it doesn't really matter that much anyways.

I'm agnostic and my father in law is a retired baptist minister. If we can get along just fine, then I can get along with anyone. It's all about minimizing the political and religious talk and focusing on the more important things. It blows me away when I read about someone ditching their friends or family due to differing opinions. People go so wrapped up in themselves being right and everyone else that doesn't agree being wrong. Trying to convince someone to think like you is just a waste of time. They automatically put up walls and get defensive. Why even bother.

I don't even bother trying to convert people or family members. I have ones on both extremes and realized a long time ago that it's not worth trying. They all have different life experiences and bubbles that they live in that are different than my own. I don't let their political or religious beliefs define them to me. Stop trying to convert people into your own way of thinking and just accept them for who they are.

I guess that depends if you think racism, sexism, etc. are debatable as political beliefs. I'm fine if someone has a different fiscal policy than me, but I'm not going to accept or associate with someone that hates minorities just because they're family.

First I'd say think about yourself first, its of course extremely hard to read nuance on the Internet but you sound a bit disrespectful of your dad. Do his current views erase his past accomplishments? Was he a good dad and provided a stable life for you growing up? Calling him brainwashed, saying you don't respect him in many ways now, etc all kinda sound a bit harsh.

He thinks there is no way he is wrong and anyone who disagrees with him is an idiot (I assume). Well... are you that different? Sure, you may have current popular opinion on your side, but that doesn't mean you are right. Allowing the possibility that he is right and you are wrong, even though it may only be a 1% chance, is the first step towards treating someone else's opinions as opinions and not as brainwashed propaganda.

Lastly I think its just fine to disagree with someone politically and still love them. I lean more conservative, especially than on people here on GAF. My wife and daughters are very liberal. I don't consider them brainwashed or idiots or about to enter dementia. They have their opinions, I have mine, and their political views have no impact whatsoever on how much I love them and what I would do for them. I don't understand people who require other people to agree with them as some sort of familial or friend purity test. To me, the world would be extremely boring if you only hung out with people who agreed on everything with you.

Sure, if someone has abhorrent (racist, sexist, etc) views you may tell them that those views are evil and you don't agree and will leave every time they bring it up, but you can still love the person and hope they change. Telling someone they are wrong and emailing links rarely works though, best way I have found is just exposing them to different people and cultures.

My grandpa was pretty racist, just the world he grew up in. I married someone who is half asian, and he eventually sorta turned around his views on asians as he got more exposed to her, her family, and even visited China and loved the place. Most of the die hard fox viewing conservatives usually have zero exposure to other cultures, maybe changing that is the first step instead of adopting a "you change or you are cut out of my life" attitude.

I mean, you don't. They're an adult. They've formed an opinion. They are not asking for your help or to be rescued. They have agency. Yes, this stuff is toxic garbage that makes them a miserable person and hurts their relationships, but that's part of what being an adult is -- making choices. It's all well and good to look at this from the perspective that they need to wake up and face facts, but they're probably looking at it from the perspective that you need to do the same. It doesn't matter that you're factually right and they're wrong, because we're interested in human behaviour and the motivations behind it, not winning Cosmic Truth and Rationality Points.

You can try to find some common ground on things you still agree with them about. If that doesn't work, you make it very clear that you are not interested in engaging with them on political issues and you stop the derail when the conversation turns to politics. "I love you, Dad, but my life is stressful enough and I don't want to have arguments or debates about politics." They probably don't want to hear your opinion either.

You set boundaries. If necessary, you unfollow them on Facebook (you should be unfollowing anyone who spams your Facebook with aggressive political opinions, whether you agree or not). If it is prolonged and intense and abusive, you begin ratcheting down your level of contact with them in general.

This isn't just a left-right thing, and it's not just a child-parent thing. There's always a struggle when someone is close to you but is a quack when it comes to one specific thing and just won't drop the issue.

This is really good, thanks for this post.

First I'd say think about yourself first, its of course extremely hard to read nuance on the Internet but you sound a bit disrespectful of your dad. Do his current views erase his past accomplishments? Was he a good dad and provided a stable life for you growing up? Calling him brainwashed, saying you don't respect him in many ways now, etc all kinda sound a bit harsh.

He thinks there is no way he is wrong and anyone who disagrees with him is an idiot (I assume). Well... are you that different? Sure, you may have current popular opinion on your side, but that doesn't mean you are right. Allowing the possibility that he is right and you are wrong, even though it may only be a 1% chance, is the first step towards treating someone else's opinions as opinions and not as brainwashed propaganda.

Lastly I think its just fine to disagree with someone politically and still love them. I lean more conservative, especially than on people here on GAF. My wife and daughters are very liberal. I don't consider them brainwashed or idiots or about to enter dementia. They have their opinions, I have mine, and their political views have no impact whatsoever on how much I love them and what I would do for them. I don't understand people who require other people to agree with them as some sort of familial or friend purity test. To me, the world would be extremely boring if you only hung out with people who agreed on everything with you.

Sure, if someone has abhorrent (racist, sexist, etc) views you may tell them that those views are evil and you don't agree and will leave every time they bring it up, but you can still love the person and hope they change. Telling someone they are wrong and emailing links rarely works though, best way I have found is just exposing them to different people and cultures.

My grandpa was pretty racist, just the world he grew up in. I married someone who is half asian, and he eventually sorta turned around his views on asians as he got more exposed to her, her family, and even visited China and loved the place. Most of the die hard fox viewing conservatives usually have zero exposure to other cultures, maybe changing that is the first step instead of adopting a "you change or you are cut out of my life" attitude.

It doesn't and he did. I had an almost perfect childhood and teenage years, I really really have almost nothing to complain about my upbringing. Didn't mean to say the inverse.
I guess that is what makes it more difficult in general, I do still love my dad very much, as much as I ever did. I just fear losing that as time goes by.

The bolded happens also and it's not only a culture exposure thing, he traveled to a lot of places and met a lot of different people over the years.

I guess that depends if you think racism, sexism, etc. are debatable as political beliefs. I'm fine if someone has a different fiscal policy than me, but I'm not going to accept or associate with someone that hates minorities just because they're family.

Exactly. I don't see how you can handwave things like racism, sexism, or any kind of bigotry as "difference of opinion/politics.

Asking me to accept an alt-right friend, as a black person, is asking me to check my self respect at the door. Not gonna happen.

RinsFury

Some people won't accept change. During the past election my parents revealed themselves to be Trump supporters, most vocally my father. The atmosphere in the house became incredibly toxic, no amount of well reasoned arguments were sufficient to sway them from voting for that hateful monster. They also began to resent me for challenging their beliefs. In the end I was basically forced out of the house, and I doubt I'll talk to either of them ever again. Hopefully things go better for you, OP.

Javaman

/snip

You put it much better than I ever could.

Make it known that he'll lose you if he continues down that path.

That is the absolute worst thing you could do.

Link

The Autumn Wind
Unfortunately, there's not much you can do about it. If it's anything like my mom, who is now a vile, hateful Trump supporter, you'll just grow more and more distant. I talk to her maybe once or twice a month these days, and I haven't been to her house since Christmas.

Staccat0

Fail out bailed
Acknowledging the other side and then asking questions is the only thing that works. You won't change their mind completely, but it CAN mellow people out. It requires you bend a little, but people usually reciprocate if you come from an angle of "Interesting. Can you clarify?"

Schattenjäger

Gabriel Knight
They also began to resent me for challenging their beliefs. In the end I was basically forced out of the house, and I doubt I'll talk to either of them ever again.
My apologies if this is a sensitive topic for you but how could parents kick out a child because of political beliefs? This boggles my mind.

I'm dealing with this myself. Outlets like Fox News are cultlike in that they inoculate their viewers against outside viewpoints by casting them as insane, ridiculous, corrupt, etc. None of us should have to become experts in reprogramming brainwashing, so it's probably best to just avoid discussing politics as much as possible.

Fisty

Take every opportunity to openly mock and disprove points he presents. Same thing happened with my dad, honestly it won't change his mind but he knows I disagree vehemently and it makes me feel better. I re-followed him just to singularly pick apart his posts and cover his wall with Occupy Democrats stuff

Acknowledging the other side and then asking questions is the only thing that works. You won't change their mind completely, but it CAN mellow people out. It requires you bend a little, but people usually reciprocate if you come from an angle of "Interesting. Can you clarify?"

And it barely, if ever, works, either.

RinsFury

Schattenjäger;234674995 said:
My apologies if this is a sensitive topic for you but how could parents kick out a child because of political beliefs? This boggles my mind.

I was staying with them after I lost my job this past year because of mental health issues that I have been working through. I was helping out with chores and whatever needed to be done, but yes, apparently challenging them politically like that was enough to justify throwing me out on my ass with barely a dollar to my name. It was a really dark time for me. Thankfully I have my sister to stay with.

platocplx

if people aren't able to abandon others with toxic views there will never be real progress. Its incredible that some people really feel like they can separate peoples political views and still look at them as some loving person etc.

I cant do it, and I refuse to do it regardless of who it is family or not. Its the same reason today the only people see bad people being steaming at the mouth racists, bigots, etc rather than complex people who can love their kids, love their wives be apart of their community and will have extreme views about people who they dont see as equal worthy etc which still means yes they are bad people despite some expressions of feeling to their own personal group.

This is the largest problem in society today and honestly if you aren't willing to go as far as leaving people behind for their abhorrent views they will never get the message and in the end you will suffer as well for it.

And OP you really cant approach or appeal to someone who is clearly emotionally invested with anything but a strong emotional response in return which goes as far as just severing ties with them. Its like arguing with someone who has strong religious beliefs no amount of logical dialogue can counteract intangible beliefs.

So its up to you to see them as a complicated father who has terrible views against anyone other than his own kin and accept it or be the change you seek and go on with your life with not as much to do with them to help break the chain of poor views.

Maybe they will understand how you feel when you arent around to listen anymore and if those kind of views are worth not having their child around anymore and maybe with that kind of emotional impact they get out of the crazy hole of conspiracy.

Schattenjäger;234674995 said:

This is a prime example of it from the opposite way.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nati...50061aa9fae_story.html?utm_term=.5b215eb7ffdb

this kid was as toxic as his parents and his family with white supremacist views and many of them disowned him when he gave up those beliefs.

bionic77

The rise of the extreme right is based on fear of the other. Mostly fear of muslims but also supplemented by fears of various others as well (i.e mexicans, gay frogs, etc).

I don't think you can have a rational debate with someone who has these irrational fears.

I have close to zero tolerance for that shit so I would just leave but that is easier said then done when it comes to family.

Schattenjäger

Gabriel Knight
I was staying with them after I lost my job this past year because of mental issues that I have been working through. I was helping out with chores and whatever needed to be done, but yes, apparently challenging them politically like that was enough to justify throwing me out on my ass with barely a dollar to my name. It was a really dark time for me. Thankfully I have my sister to stay with.
Well sorry for your troubles
your parents sound pretty extreme

I have family that loves Fox News including O'Reilly (who I tolerate and can listen to) and Hannity (not a fan of)
I Ike to challenge them on some things and then we get to a point where we agree to disagree

My parents have always voted for whoever had the R next to their name. After college I started diverging from that extremely simplistic and lazy POV, and my parents are convinced I have been "brainwashed."

The Lamp

Can truth be aggressive in nature by virtue of its content? Then why is that useful advice?

1960s Facebook: "ugh, this Dr King guy is so annoying with his in-your-face political opinions. Unfollow!"

You'd probably argue that Dr King actually participated in activism offline, but that doesn't mean that people with blunt political opinions online don't do the same.

It's easier to adopt this virtuous generosity with social spaces when you have privilege. But some of us have to wonder if we're actually going to be safe or valued with people who hold certain political views.

Some people are fine telling me they value me as a friend and don't mind our differences but are also fine advocating to legally block me from marrying the love of my life as if it personally effects them. ¯_(ツ)_/¯

Ogodei

If they're good people at heart who just believe crazy things, just ignore it as much as you can. If they're doing bad stuff because of it, then unfortunately you have to drop them like a hot potato.

And it barely, if ever, works, either.

I don't think I've heard a single success story, to be honest. Just vague "we agreed to disagree on some things, and found common ground on others." Never going into specifics, but the specifics are deal breakers for many of us.

I lost one of my best friends last year because of his alt-right views. I tried engaging with him countless times, but the more we spoke, the more is became apparent that his views were irreconcilable with worldview. My "worldview" being my very civil rights. That may be fine for some to "agree to disagree" with, but I just don't have that privilege.

I wish people would stop trying to make this a "Left vs Right" war of ideals. It's more complicated than that.

not a parent but a long-time friend.

my friend has jump off the Far-Right cliff... there is nothing to do. There is no reasoning, nada.

Just best nod and go ah-huh and talk about sports instead

Fisty

not a parent but a long-time friend.

my friend has jump off the Far-Right cliff... there is nothing to do. There is no reasoning, nada.

Just best nod and go ah-huh and talk about sports instead

Same happened to me, friend went nuts for that crap. Dropped him like a sack of flour covered in engine oil, ain't nobody got time for that

platocplx

I wish people would stop trying to make this a "Left vs Right" war of ideals. It's more complicated than that.

exactly, it stops being that when you are actively against or cant comprehend why people deserve equal treatment etc.

Sure arguing about how govt should be run is an age old thing. But when it comes to human rights there is a right and wrong answer and history has shown regardless of peoples views there is one view point that progresses through slow as fuck, sometimes stumbles but it goes through which is a slow march towards equality for all.

Like everyone else does... by waiting for them to die, being thankful you have less awkward family gatherings at holidays and politely leaving out how horrible they were from their obituary.

LakeEarth

I know an early 30s woman who's like this. We got into a Facebook arguement about Pizzagate, tried everything I could think of to try to persuade her. It is a mental issue that facts and logic have no effect on.

I don't think I've heard a single success story, to be honest. Just vague "we agreed to disagree on some things, and found common ground on others." Never going into specifics, but the specifics are deal breakers for many of us.

I lost one of my best friends last year because of his alt-right views. I tried engaging with him countless times, but the more we spoke, the more is became apparent that his views were irreconcilable with worldview. My "worldview" being my very civil rights. That may be fine for some to "agree to disagree" with, but I just don't have that privilege.

I think the only thing that really works, from what I have heard and read from people, is personal experience. I know there was a video from...Vice, maybe (I forget now) about a guy who was pretty racist and hardline anti-immigration, but got an immigrate neighbor who he and his family had a lot of interaction with that gradually changed his views.

I mean, it is hard to lose sight of it with the alt-right and emboldened racists and fascists right now, but there are Archie Bunker's out there, too. The only way they'll probably change that is through a life experience.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom