• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How Do You Feel About XBox 360 Live!

I think its way better than what I experienced on the original Xbox. The integration of games and the dashboard interface is just pulled off so well. For example in one match of DoA4 Live I was saying how Kameo sucks and this guys like No Kameo rox and im like gimme ur gamer tag and he did, so between matches I sent him a message that Kameo did indeed suck and when he got it he vowed to destroy me the next round.

I will say there are still some nagging issues like setting up private chat with multiple people, and sometimes I get tired of watching Tabris join and leave join and leave join and leave. I will dub this the Tabris Effect.

The Acheivements shit DOES keep me playing sadly, and adds a weird LOOK AT ME feelings to playing the 360. Battling whiteman with our own personal Geo Wars scores has been a lot of fun but I know there's a lot of people who can nail my score in their sleep.

DoA4 is pulled off pretty well, but still suffers from weird bouts of lag even tho things were totally smooth a few minutes earlier. I havent tried PGR3 online yet, but I hope to this weekend.

Geo Wars is my current favorite game on 360 haha :( What does that say about the library? I dunno, but I do know I LUV ME SOME GEOWARZ.

I cant wait to get a hard drive so I can play the older xbox titles on Live360, I wonder if Crimson Skies still has a following, cause that game rocked. I know the WWII game for 360 looks awesome hope it has some good multiplayer.

Jonnyram

I was surprised how good it was, and it makes me a big fan of the console.
The ability to compare scores is great for competition, and I'm also a big fan of the achievements. It just adds that much more incentive to not give up if you can't get it right first time.

Wario64 said:
Am I the #1 person for Geo Wars on your friends list? I better be.
hyp is #1 on mine.

Mrbob

Achievements are great. Gives you extra incentive to play the game. Can't wait to see the achievement list for Oblivion.

The online setup is something Sony and Nintendo have to rip off. It is so sleek and easy to use. The way Xbox Live is now integrated into each game between single player and multiplayer is amazing. You're connected with everyone else even if you are playing a single player game by yourself. Then you can hop onto an online match, even if it is another game, in under a minute and get into the online game lobby! Add in Live Arcade and you have the components for the ultimate next gen gaming console.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
It's what sets this console apart from every previous generation. The Live integration as it stands now is just amazing.

When I read about it initially, I didn't think it was a big deal.

Once you actually start earning achievements, play arcade games, try to beat your friends' scores and play demos on demand... the entire scope starts to set in.

Sony has a lot on their plate as far as what Live has brought to the table. They can't afford to give out the half-assed online implementation that they've gotten away with in the past.

Personally, I really hope that this drives Sony to make an even more amazing online service. Given how good Live is, I'd love to see something even better.

B'z-chan

Banned
I love the fact that i can use my wifi laptop to stream music to my 360 instead of having to put shit on CD's.

But were talking about live not that. Live is incredible, yeah its got its problems but they'll work out. And while they work it out i'll be enjoying a smoother playing experiance.

I disliked the original live, but i did like playing people online. It was the first step in the right direction. But this is the first true step to making games online for everyone in the community. Cant wait to see what else we'll get out of this awosme experiance.

Oh and i'm on live RIGHT NOW!!! thank you wifi router :D

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Drinky Crow said:
Wario, you haven't accept my Friends request. :mad:

i don't have my own x360 so i'll probably add you in like 2 weeks :p

i have like 8 people who want to add me...

Wario64 said:
i don't have my own x360 so i'll probably add you in like 2 weeks :p

i have like 8 people who want to add me...

Add me on your original Xbox!
After all, I don't have my 360 yet either!

_Angelus_

Banned
The downloading of game demos simply owns. Its already saved me money from renting games I've been mildly curious about.

Sho Nuff

Banned
Live is the best thing since breadmakers.

MP3 streaming off my 200GB hard disk FTW
Chat and messaging in any game FTW
Demos of games FTW
That big beautiful Xbox Guide button FTW
XBOX FTW

Angelus said:
The downloading of game demos simply owns. Its already saved me money from renting games I've been mildly curious about.

QFT.

A friend of mine is absolutely sold on Fight Night Round 3 after being on the fence from watching the videos.

B'z-chan

Banned
You know i totaly forgot to talk about achievements they fucking own and i've had the exact opposite reaction to demos. I've actually wanted games i wouldnt have normally played but played cause of the demos. Fight Night will be mine, and maybe full auto if that slowdown can be fixed.

Oh and dont get me started on live arcade that shit is ace. I already have two games that just simly rox. Geowars is just fucking amazing.

I'm going back to playing games rather than talking about them.

SuperPac

Can't wait till more games start implementing downloadable replays. DOA4 has them for some matches / people, but I'd like to see how some of the top times on some of those Marble Blast Ultra levels are done or watch how the top Hexic players play. I guess youtube and google video are good enough for that, but it'd be nice to have it integrated all in the 360.

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
I just hope that Microsoft can work some magic and we get some E3 demos for download the same time of the expo. How cool would that be?

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
XBL is absolutely THE killer app for the 360. Non-gamer friends of mine often ask my opinion of the system only to be confused and surprised to hear me rave about the social implications over the expected "HALO 3 GRAFIX R GUNNA LOOK SICK DUDER!"

On the other-hand, the system can be a hard sell or recommendation for the anti-social set. Being a member of GAF does have it's perk if only to have instant access to a pretty friendly community with a common goal of fun. I've actually had a difficult time recommending the box to some solely curious about the HD-era and not 'JUMPing IN" so to speak.

Oh and fuck Namco again for embracing crappy minigames over online for SC3. Coulda been epic on 360.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
I also sometimes turn on the system without the intention of playing anything other than checking my friends' list and letting you tards dictate what I spend the next hour or two playing.

demi

I have a shitty 20" Composite TV right now, so 360 will look hideos...

I need to get my new TV and fast once I get a 360

SO SUPPORT THE DEMI 360 FUND AND BUY MY GAMES FUCKERS

I think achievements are one of the best things. I've never been one of those gamers who like to unlock everyting in a game looking for secrets and so on, but now i find myself watching to the achievements list and feeling the urge to get more and more points! :D

And all the downloads system rocks. I'm waiting for the first game that will permit you to create content and sell it in the Marketplace for points... this should rock!

I've read somwhere that they still have got some totally unannounced surprises, I'm really courious to see what will it be.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
I only like achivements when they're real achivements....like beating a game on the hardest difficulty and not crap like collect-a-thons. It still wont change my playing habits though

DaCocoBrova

Finally bought a new PSP, but then pushed the demon onto someone else. Jesus.
I was playing RR6 last night on Live. What a rush that was.

DoA4 was a lag fest.

123rl

Xbox Live (360) = best thing to happen to games in years. I doubt Nintendo will try and match their service but I expect Sony to at least try and beat it.

Acosta

I haven´t explored too much the multiplayer features, because until some days ago I just had Kameo (don´t know if it has multiplayer). The other day I bougt DOA 4 and I played some math in multiplayer, it looked quite solid.

I had to add a lot of people here yet, I have been working and I didn´t have time to send invites. I´m a little worried about the spoken communication, don´t know if I will be understood trough microphone neither if I can deal without problems understanding casual english trhough headphones. For DOA 4 there is no problem, but I´m thinking in MMORPGs or games that requiere certain ammount of comunication (I have the same feeling for WoW, I don´t know if I will have to use teamspeak when I arrive to big raids and I don´t know If I can use it in the right way).

The implemention is great. What I´m more impressed for (apart of the interface that is fantastic) are the demos and trailers. I haven´t purchased anything yet from Arcade, but I have downloaded all the demos and most of the Xbox 360 games demos. Having that service is fantastic.

I need some work for the PC-Xbox 360 connection, it seems to have some problem to stream some of the songs I download from Itunes.

Generally, I think it works really nice. There is potential for great things here, hope MS know how to add the content to fullfill that promise.

kurisu74

Banned
yeah it has potential, but it's not the killer app like some here make it out to be.

the online service is the infrastructural groundwork that might be used host a killer app if ms decides to create a fun and original online game.

until that happens, i suspect the ps3 will shit all over the 360 AND it's online services once it's out.

Professor K

m0dus jr
I've had my 360 since launch day. I have Kameo, Condemned, PGR3, PDZ and DoA4.

I've barely playd my 360. The only game I've beaten and played extensively is DoA4. I haven't even opened Condemned.

The only thing I've really played (that is until GR:AW) are the XBOXLive Arcade games and downloadable demos. That says all that needs to be said about XBL. It's just a masterstroke to have it available to ALL USERS from day one. I really hope Sony follows suit.

Anyway, GR:AW and Oblivion will be the first two games that has me surgically attached to my 360 controller.

Professor K

m0dus jr
demi said:
I have a shitty 20" Composite TV right now, so 360 will look hideos...

I need to get my new TV and fast once I get a 360

SO SUPPORT THE DEMI 360 FUND AND BUY MY GAMES FUCKERS

Actually, more than the HDTV (which is great), it's the 5.1 surround that has made gaming (and movie watching) a much better experience. And make sure you get a 7.1 surround system to "future proof" yourself.

demi

Mehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh I don't really care for surround sound and all that... maybe in the future.

I have a small room, no point in there being surround sound anyway...

I don't get the Live hype.. why pay for something your PC has been able to do for over 10 years?

sure, might be good for people living 500000000 miles from their friends and that has to play the newest Halo or whatever but other than that, meh..

araganekyassuru said:
I don't get the Live hype.. why pay for something your PC has been able to do for over 10 years?
Comparing achievements between gamers isn't something PCs have done, AFAIK. And even having an unified friends list between all games. You can obviously use MSN or some other PC matchmaking system, but what makes XBL great is that these things are all in one unique environment, easily useable for everyone.

And, some of the things that people here are talking about (achievements, downloads) are done via Live Silver, which is FREE.

Professor K

m0dus jr
demi said:
Mehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh I don't really care for surround sound and all that... maybe in the future.

I have a small room, no point in there being surround sound anyway...

Everyone says that until they experience it.

Professor K

m0dus jr
araganekyassuru said:

sure, might be good for people living 500000000 miles from their friends and that has to play the newest Halo or whatever but other than that, meh..

Gonna point out something obvious.

Console gaming is different from PC gaming. I mean really think about the differences before you get defensive.

Dr_Cogent

Banned
As far as Live goes, it's fucking awesome and I am sure it will only get better.

The disconnect between games and Live is fucking sweet. MS is really on a roll as far as online goes. If Sony doesn't get with the program, I can really see MS as the market leader at least by the gen following this new one. Online will be huge by then, and Sony better get with it if they don't want to be left behind.

Dr_Cogent said:
As far as Live goes, it's fucking awesome and I am sure it will only get better.

The disconnect between games and Live is fucking sweet. MS is really on a roll as far as online goes. If Sony doesn't get with the program, I can really see MS as the market leader at least by the gen following this new one. Online will be huge by then, and Sony better get with it if they don't want to be left behind.

not even 10% of the Xbox owners had Live

online isn't as big as most seem to think.. not for consoles anyway

Top Bottom