• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How does Fallout 4 compare to 3 and new Vegas? Spoilers allowed

sappyday

I really wish they remastered New Vegas. Playing it on my crummy PS3 is the only thing stopping me from dropping Fallout 4 and going back to that.

THE SHROUD DISAGREES WITH YOUR UNJUST ASSERTION!

The Dark Brotherhood is probably the best questline Bethesda's ever made, though. Getting locked into the casket with that possessed corpse of the old mother of the Dark Brotherhood... yeesh. I haven't played or thought about Skyrim much in 4 years and I still remember that quest vividly.

What was great about the Shroud quest? The only actual quest that got me intrigued was Jack Cobalt's.

kamineko

Does his best thinking in the flying car
I had a long (but certainly not exhaustive playthrough) of F4. Did the
Railroad version of the murder all the everybody ending

I guess it depends on what you want in a game. I've played a lot of Fallout over the years. Multiple playthroughs of 1-3 and NV, and I've found something to love about all of them.

The paucity of Fallout 4's writing in is a league all its own, easily eclipsing the frequent silliness of Fallout 3's plot. The new dialog system is terrible. The "systems," such as they are, really aren't much more complicated than the point system in, say, Tomb Raider or Resident Evil Revelations 2. It's barely an RPG.

Now, there's a whole market for customers that like the idea of RPGs, but hate the mechanics that were once considered inherent to the genre. It's a pretty huge market, too. I don't really get it. I prefer the gunplay in REREV2 or RotTR to F4. To me, F4 sits in this weird middle place where it's both a bad shooter and a bad RPG.

Given these shortcomings, the entire value proposition seems to depend on how interesting the world is, which is going to vary from player to player. I thought F3's world was more interesting (though admittedly a little uglier). Some of the vaults were cool, and there were some great sidequests. I'm going to sidestep the whole NV vs. F3 controversy, simply because it isn't necessary to go there. To me, it was a step back from 3. So comparing a Beth title to another Beth title. For me, as an avid fan of the RPG genre, the world and story (lol) aren't enough to compensate for the compromises made in terms of systems, and the "better" gunplay wouldn't pass muster in any other title.

The crafting is cool but honestly doesn't compensate for the horrible weapon variety. I think I played the last quarter of the game carrying mostly the same shit.

I'm sure I have more replays of 1-3 and NV ahead of me, but it's hard to see ever returning to F4. It's my biggest disappointment of the year, and of this generation so far.

None of this matters, though, because Beth is printing money with it. So there will be more of the same. I wish Beth would throw RPG fans a bone and let somebody make a mid-to-low budget old-school RPG, the way SE has done with Bravely Default.

The dialogue system is keeping me from wanting to do another playthrough. It sucks when you know all the lines of response even if your playing a new "character". My Rick Deckard talks like any Joe Schmo's T-1000. It really killed my enjoyment. Fun world to explore though. It's probably my favorite of the 3 games to just walk around in. New Vegas is still the king.

It's next to Battlefront as my biggest disappointment of the year that I was very excited to play.

Guevara

From my perspective, this game is great and fixes most of the problems that existed in prior Bethesda games. (Note: I only casually played FO3 and Oblivion, and I'm not really a fan of the series or the developer until this game):

Gameplay overall/Gun play

Fallout 3 and NV were RPG with some shooting mechanics. Fallout 4 is a shooter with some RPG mechanics

Not happy with the change

This is totally true, but I like it. At the end of the day, shooting is (my) primary means of interacting with the world. Shooting enemies with guns is finally fun to do. I think making VATS slow motion is a good move, as well. It feels like a shooter, with some strategic elements. I get how fans of the series might not like it, however.​

Loot:

Settlements is the great answer to the loot problem that has existed in gaming since inception. Games have long had pile of junk to collect, the question has always been why and what to do with it? Sell it for peanuts? Pile it in your house? Finally there is a reason to collect that desk fan, there is a reason to collect that oven mitt. Everything is now at least a little useful.

Same with gun upgrades; I really appreciate how every gun might now have some component I want: a better scope, better magazine, or whatever. Or even just scrap it. If you are early- to mid-game, and if you neglected to put points into Gun Nut and Science, being able to mix and match parts is tremendously fun, and gives you a reason to collect drops. I just wish there were a similar system for armor.​

Building Settlements

I found this to be tremendously fun. Saving baby... Sam, was it? Steve? Who cares, I don't really find that motivating. But continuing to find settlements, building them up, establish supply lines, and turn them into money- and resource-producers gave me a reason to explore the wasteland. I really did want to make my people happy, and I really did want to make their settlements safe and defensible.

One other point about settlements: many of them were oddly laid out, or weirdly situated. At first this bothered me: why would you hole up in tiny Oberland Station, or that awful farm down by the swamp? But then I began to appreciate it. Each settlement has its own challenge. With some creativity I was able to make Oberland Station a nice little productive and safe settlement, even Hangman's Alley and Jamaica Plain have turned out pretty well. Each have had their own issues, each were solved in different ways. Bethesda could have made similar settlements with similar resources, but I'm very glad they differentiated them. The idea of scrounging and doing the best you can also fit thematically with the game.​

Graphics and Art Design

Mostly this game looks great to me. I really appreciate the, ahem, wider range of color, and I like the slightly cartoony look. There are some obvious poor textures and and glitches, but they don't bother me. Finally the wasteland doesn't have to be uniformly ugly.​

More to do

This said, settlements are still clearly very rough and I hope Bethesda invests in the system. Likewise, after saving the same settlement the 2nd time, the magic starts to fade.​

Grief.exe

The irony is Obsidian develops the better game, yet gets blasted for technical reasons which are ubiquitous with Bethesda's use of Gamebyro while Bethesda gets a pass on everything.

I really wish they remastered New Vegas. Playing it on my crummy PS3 is the only thing stopping me from dropping Fallout 4 and going back to that.

Bruh

2eys3i.png

439s40.png

ant_

not characteristic of ants at all
The irony is Obsidian develops the better game, yet gets blasted for technical reasons which are ubiquitous with Bethesda's use of Gamebyro while Bethesda gets a pass on everything.

Bethesda is getting a pass? Don't know how you came to that conclusion. I've seen tons of articles and threads on bugs present in the game.

Regardless, FO4 is one of their best products to date. Way less buggy than any other Bethesda game.

THE SHROUD DISAGREES WITH YOUR UNJUST ASSERTION!

The Dark Brotherhood is probably the best questline Bethesda's ever made, though. Getting locked into the casket with that possessed corpse of the old mother of the Dark Brotherhood... yeesh. I haven't played or thought about Skyrim much in 4 years and I still remember that quest vividly.

Really? I thought Oblivion's was like 10 times better.

What was great about the Shroud quest? The only actual quest that got me intrigued was Jack Cobalt's.

I played as a female character, and I loved her quotes.

Now that I've wrapped up the game, it had a lot of amazing things. I could never rank my favorite between 3 and NV, however I would place 4 slightly below them. They improved a lot of things, but the dialog and what I feel to be a genuine lack of story branches really hurt things for me. Overall gameplay and mechanics felt great.

adamy

Banned
fo nv > fo 4 > fo 3

and overall

fo 2 > fo nv > fo 1 > fo 4 > fo 3

don't feel like ranking the spin-off games

Two thing that stick out most for me.

- Level locking armour/weapon mod perks is shit and holds you back.

Without a skill system you don't feel like you're getting stronger, it's because you're actually not until you reach the level for that next weapon damage perk/new mod. Plus stealth takes fucking ages to get enough perks to be effective, in FO3/NV could tag stealth and dump points into it early to be effective quick.

- Doesn't seem to be much choice

Not just for conversations which are 'Yes', 'Yes with more info', 'Sacastic' and 'No' over and over, but with missions and outcomes too, not much freedom for the player, and when there is it is usually insignificant, aside from near story end.

I don't see myself replaying FO4 as much as the others.

Yam's

I loved the hundred of hours I spend in Fallout 4, but I think anyone will agree that New Vegas is stronger on almost all levels.

I still have mixed feelings about dialogues though. On one hand I must say that I really enjoyed hearing my character and it gave him a lot of life which was lacking in New Vegas/3, but on the other hand the sacrifice needed for voices was too important. But I can understand that offering voices and as many choices as the previous entries would be impossible... That being said I also feel like there were sometimes too many options in New Vegas and they weren't always that different too. I still think they need to reach a better middle ground next game.

Gameplay wise, 4 is stronger and more fun. I'm one of the few who like the new perks tree even though they clearly didn't balance it well enough. You could always reach a God-like level in other entries, but I feel like this is even more easier in 4. So I hope they continue on that direction, but better re-think it.

Story-wise is where 4 is sadly a lot behind New Vegas (but it's not like we didn't know they could never equal Obsidian). I really miss the coherent world of New Vegas, the different factions and some of the fantastic Vaults it had. It's a real shame they didn't do any mysterious Vault in 4 and I really missed those. However, one thing that got me good in 4 was the turning point in the story. If in New Vegas factions were well written and interesting as a whole, I didn't really have any attachment to them. In Fallout 4, quests built some connection with them and I really felt bad about betraying them. The moment I saw some characters I worked with a few hours ago appearing on my VATS, I really felt bad about it and this was in my opinion well done. Paladin Vanse and Cait quests were also very well written I think.

They also dropped the ball a bit on the world variety. As stated above, Vaults are lacking, but there isn't enough of weird places or funny moments in my taste. Glowing Sea was fantastic at first, but they should've gone more crazy in there, I think this was a wasted opportunity. That being said it took me more than 100 hours to feel tired about the world, so it's hard to say they're doing it wrong too. I just wished they put more crazy stuff in there. Maybe in the DLCs.

Anyway, I still enjoyed F4 a LOT, but I pray real hard that Obsidian would make another Fallout using F4 assets.

Grief.exe

Bethesda is getting a pass? Don't know how you came to that conclusion. I've seen tons of articles and threads on bugs present in the game.

Regardless, FO4 is one of their best products to date. Way less buggy than any other Bethesda game.

Mainly referring to mainstream journalists, where I'm a huge advocate of critics actually applying more objective critique, similarly to other entertainment mediums.

The Fallout 4 reviews I read from the mainstream have been more synonymous to a PR advertised from Bethesda themselves rather than an actual review. Many journalists either ignored technical issues or only touched on them lightly and many ignored the lack of innovation entirely.

Time Magazine actually had a more objective review than any that I read in the industry. I think that is all I need to say about the current state of gaming journalism.

The reception in GAF has actually been more tepid than past Bethesda games. Generally we have to wait months for the infatuation period to end before we can have valid discussion. Already seems to be many critical threads and opinions popping up which is atypical.
Skyrim, for example, the year itnwas released it vaulted up to the top 3 RPGs of all time list on GAF, fast forward to 2015 and it's out of the top 30.

damn, what mods are those?

What mods are those Grief ? Looks fabulous.

I have this Gaffer's ENB bookmarked and the screenshots come with the post. I've asked him before and the mods are just common graphical ones apparently, but they are obviously numerous.

here is the link

I've heard there is a mod that makes the gunplay more viable, so you don't have to rely on VATs. Makes a replay of New Vegas more dynamic.

NBtoaster

Mainly referring to mainstream journalists, where I'm a huge advocate of critics actually applying more objective critique, similarly to other entertainment mediums.

The Fallout 4 reviews I read from the mainstream have been more synonymous to a PR advertised from Bethesda themselves rather than an actual review. Many journalists either ignored technical issues or only touched on them lightly and many ignored the lack of innovation entirely.

Time Magazine actually had a more objective review than any that I read in the industry. I think that is all I need tonsay about the current state of gaming journalism.

The reception in GAF has actually been more tepid than past Bethesda games. Generally we have to wait months for the infatuation period to end before we can have valid discussion. Already seems to be many critical threads and opinions popping up already which is atypical.
Skyrim, for example, the year itnwas released it vaulted up to the top 3 RPGs of all time list on GAF, fast forward to 2015 and it's out of the top 30.

You should read more reviews. It has the lowest metascore of any modern Bethesda title, and its mainly because of criticism of technical issues.

And Skyrim earned plenty of critical discussion in the first month. It didn't even win GOTY here.

The screens you posted are from Fallout 3, btw.

BizzyBum

I have this Gaffer's ENB bookmarked and the screenshots come with the post. I've asked him before and the mods are just common graphical ones apparently, but they are obviously numerous.

here is the link

I've heard there is a mod that makes the gunplay more viable, so you don't have to rely on VATs. Makes a replay of New Vegas more dynamic.

Considering how good mods make Fallout 3 and NV look now I can't imagine what we'll see a modded Fallout 4 will look like a year or two from now.

mujun

Veronica sucks. She's awful. Her girlfriend is cool, but not her. Everything about her is annoying. I'm never going to give her a dress nor am I going to give her Elijah's message. She can unlock it, but it's all mine. Fuck her.

She's awesome! The way she is fearless (and badass) with her powerfist is very helpful. I find her to be the most effective in combat.

foxtrot3d

Banned
Veronica sucks. She's awful. Her girlfriend is cool, but not her. Everything about her is annoying. I'm never going to give her a dress nor am I going to give her Elijah's message. She can unlock it, but it's all mine. Fuck her.

You deserve a Power Punch for speaking such lies.

That said, everyone knows that Cass is the best.
"Quiet, we're hunting shitheads."

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member

here is the link

Cool, cheers :)

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.

Let me blow your mind here. I, personally, did not consider Fallout 4 to be a game to have significant technical issues. I did notice the occasional framerate drop here and there, but never not once did it bother me so much that I got frustrated.

I realize the experiences vary from person to person and some are far more sensitive to it, but I am living proof that there are some people who are perfectly okay with a few framerate drops here and there as long as the overall game is playable and enjoyable.

Is it maybe, just maybe, that the reviewers reviewing the game might be of that same opinion that the game is perfectly playable and they didn't feel the need to comment on technical issues, because they werent affected by it?

Bio

Fallout 4 looks so amazing to me. Just wandering around with the way the light hits the trees out in the wasteland...it's special.

The dialogue system is basically unacceptable to me. Like WTF were they thinking???

They were thinking something like "Man this dialogue shit is too hard, let's just jam some Rust building system in there instead that's what people want right??"

ant_

not characteristic of ants at all
They were thinking something like "Man this dialogue shit is too hard, let's just jam some Rust building system in there instead that's what people want right??"
Or... They wanted to have a voiced protagonist, which inherently limits the amount of dialogue options you can have. It was a design decision.

Grief.exe

Let me blow your mind here. I, personally, did not consider Fallout 4 to be a game to have significant technical issues. I did notice the occasional framerate drop here and there, but never not once did it bother me so much that I got frustrated.

I realize the experiences vary from person to person and some are far more sensitive to it, but I am living proof that there are some people who are perfectly okay with a few framerate drops here and there as long as the overall game is playable and enjoyable.

Is it maybe, just maybe, that the reviewers reviewing the game might be of that same opinion that the game is perfectly playable and they didn't feel the need to comment on technical issues, because they werent affected by it?

That's why I advocate for more objective critique.

It's subjective whether the performance issues and technical concerns effect your enjoyment, but it is objective that they are present. It isn't your job to provide critique, but it is a journalists job to provide that information to their readers.

Pretty obvious product of focus group design.

Kids in the 10-16 range enjoy building and simplistic mechanics, directly target that demographic.

GOTY.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
That's why I advocate for more objective critique.

It's subjective whether the performance issues and technical concerns effect your enjoyment, but it is objective that they are present. It isn't your job to provide critique, but it is a journalists job to provide that information to their readers.
GOTY.

And Im disagreeing about that. In 100+ hours of a gameplay and the experiences of framerate drops are so small I do not feel that any reviewer is obligated to mention them.

They are easily forgotten about and not noticed. Again, in my playthrough i experienced a few framerate drops, but I only recalled them after the "framerate police" on GAF reminded me.

Fallout 4 looks so amazing to me. Just wandering around with the way the light hits the trees out in the wasteland...it's special.

The dialogue system is basically unacceptable to me. Like WTF were they thinking???

This pretty much mirrors my thoughts. Seriously, WHAT WERE YOU THINKING?! If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Ogimachi

That's not Fallout related, Obsidian uses states as codenames for their projects. This is Project Louisiana, most likely Pillars of Eternity II.

dlauv

Every time a Bethesda game is released, people shit all over the technical failings and pretend modders have to do all of the work for Bethesda.

These same people pretend the same doesn't apply to the utmost celebrated CRPGs, when these CRPGs usually share the same fate, and usually to a more extreme degree.

New Vegas was in a more dire technical state than any other Bethesda Softworks game before it. Obsidian fixed some, but not nearly all of the bugs. It also took more effort from the "average" player to derive "fun (engaging gameplay)" out of the mostly barren game world. That's not saying New Vegas is worse than any BS game, because it isn't. Far from.

I just think it stinks of sour grapes over Bethesda being an indisputable industry titan/leader of these backwards-thinking "RPGs" that provide a poor example of/to the kinds of games they love. This isn't a sentiment wholly unable to be understood (at all), but it bugs the hell out of me that these same people championing this disingenuous, victimized disposition seem to be many of the more thoughtful posters who I look forward to reading more from. I would have figured everyone knew what time it was after the mechanical leaps from Morrowind>Oblivion>Fallout 3>Skyrim. It's focus-tested, watered down, AAA aRPG for the non-hardcore. Todd tries to care about the hardcore too (even though they're a niche), but the truth is he will never be able to unless they get a better writer. And even then, amazing dialogue isn't going to settle peoples' qualms concerning depth.

Personally I agree with Errant Signal on how he views Bethesda's games (and this game) to be, and I coin my own term for them: VRPGS: virtual reality rpgs. Or, as others like to say: a LARPing Power Fantasy. As if LARPing isn't a legitimate form of RPG because the people that LARP are "lame." Bethesda is imperfect and suffer from flavorless android writing and sentimentality for sure tho. But I'd argue that Pillars of Eternity had less convincing writing and VA, and a bad case of logorrhea, which isn't a good thing when your product nearly lives and dies by its writing.

I feel like the more successful RPG developers are struggling to find ways to satisfy RPG fans and retain their cosmic powerhouse sales figures. Witcher 3 did well, but many RPG fans feel it's more a telltale game than an RPG.

FGMPR

Banned
It looks quite nice and The Commonwealth is an outstanding example of world building, but like others have said, there are huge issues with Fallout 4. Bethesda still can't write interesting story arcs, yet they are great at providing small fragments which make the history of the place come alive. I feel like it would better suit their talents to create a game with a minimalistic style of narrative ala 'Dark Souls' or 'Myst', where you explore an abandoned world and discover its past via sifting through the scattered remnants of the past.

Meanwhile, the companions are now much more interesting, so that's great, and yet the way you can interact with them has been stripped down to the bone. The dialogue system eliminates so much of the role-playing from this 'RPG' and for what? so we can hear these (mostly) ordinary lines being read by actors who sound entirely aware of how bland the script is? It was a terrible design choice, and one which is so much more damaging than any of the other numerous changes Bethesda have made in the past.

The STALKER thread going around on neogaf at the moment also puts certain things into perspective. That is a game which is now 8 years old and yet it does things which should have been aimed for with Bethesda's first attempt at a next-gen RPG. Building settlements is... OK, but its so disconnected as an activity compared to the rest of the game; its like its taken a completely different genre of game and thrown it into an rpg and I just don't quite understand why. It makes no sense in the context of the wider narrative, it adds nothing to the rest of the game--its just so mechanical. Where is the organic feeling of the world ala STALKER'S 'a-life' system?

There are few surprising moments left to discover in Bethesda's RPG's because they don't evolve in any meaningful way; in my 25 hours it feels like I've played this game too many times before already and, therefore, I'm struggling to continue.

HagiG7

Having a charisma build and coming from NV, I was very disappointed with the shallow dialogue system.
Also there were hardly any memorable quests, mostly fetch quests.
The main story and it's resolution lacked the appropriate impact but that's common with the latest Fallout games. It gave me some Mass Effect 3 vibes.
But at least the gunplay is vastly improved and it finally feels right.
Also the game looks great and it makes you want to keep exploring its beautiful world.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Every time a Bethesda game is released, people shit all over the technical failings and pretend modders have to do all of the work for Bethesda.

These same people pretend the same doesn't apply to the utmost celebrated CRPGs, when these CRPGs usually share the same fate, and usually to a more extreme degree.

New Vegas was in a more dire technical state than any other Bethesda Softworks game before it. Obsidian fixed some, but not nearly all of the bugs. It also took more effort from the "average" player to derive "fun (engaging gameplay)" out of the mostly barren game world. That's not saying New Vegas is worse than any BS game, because it isn't. Far from.

I just think it stinks of sour grapes over Bethesda being an indisputable industry titan/leader of these backwards-thinking "RPGs" that provide a poor example of/to the kinds of games they love. This isn't a sentiment wholly unable to be understood (at all), but it bugs the hell out of me that these same people championing this disingenuous, victimized disposition seem to be many of the more thoughtful posters who I look forward to reading more from. I would have figured everyone knew what time it was after the mechanical leaps from Morrowind>Oblivion>Fallout 3>Skyrim. It's focus-tested, watered down, AAA aRPG for the non-hardcore. Todd tries to care about the hardcore too (even though they're a niche), but the truth is he will never be able to unless they get a better writer. And even then, amazing dialogue isn't going to settle peoples' qualms concerning depth.

Personally I agree with Errant Signal on how he views Bethesda's games (and this game) to be, and I coin my own term for them: VRPGS: virtual reality rpgs. Or, as others like to say: a LARPing Power Fantasy. As if LARPing isn't a legitimate form of RPG because the people that LARP are "lame." Bethesda is imperfect and suffer from flavorless android writing and sentimentality for sure tho. But I'd argue that Pillars of Eternity had less convincing writing and VA, and a bad case of logorrhea, which isn't a good thing when your product nearly lives and dies by its writing.

I feel like the more successful RPG developers are struggling to find ways to satisfy RPG fans and retain their cosmic powerhouse sales figures. Witcher 3 did well, but many RPG fans feel it's more a telltale game than an RPG.

Its much easier to fix Obsidian's technical shortcomings than Bethesda's terrible writing, dialogue systems and simplistic questlines in addition to their technical shortcomings .

Also Fallout 4 is a pretty pathetic excuse for a LARP, even as a power fantasy.

And PoE had better writing despite the fact that they need to tone down the loquaciousness. I didnt expect as good VA from a kickstarter project as a AAA monster franchise.

Kallor

New Vegas was in a more dire technical state than any other Bethesda Softworks game before it. Obsidian fixed some, but not nearly all of the bugs.

New Vegas's bugs were Bethesda's bugs. They were responsible for the QA on New Vegas. Bethesda rushed and released the game before it was ready.

Its much easier to fix Obsidian's technical shortcomings than Bethesda's terrible writing, dialogue systems and simplistic questlines in addition to their technical shortcomings .

dlauv

Agreed, but that's really besides the point of it being hypocritical.

New Vegas's bugs were Bethesda's bugs. They were responsible for the QA on New Vegas. Bethesda rushed and released the game before it was ready.

I mean, I'd like to believe that, but the list of credits I can find for NV include only Obsidian QA. I can't seem to find any official sources. The only reason I checked is because Obsidian has had constant QA problems in the past.

Seyavesh

Agreed, but that's really besides the point of it being hypocritical.

I mean, I'd like to believe that, but the list of credits I can find for NV include only Obsidian QA. I can't seem to find any official sources. The only reason I checked is because Obsidian has had constant QA problems in the past.

it's pretty commonly known that QA for NV was bethesda's job

but if you want it straight from the mouth (rope kid is j. sawyer)

scarlet

For someone who never played Fallout series and hates Skyrim cuz the world is too large and similar dungeons. Will I like this game?

Top Bottom