• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How is Otogi?

Solid

81% at Gamerankings but I wanna hear your opinions. I'm currently hangin' at http://www.sega-europe.com/otogi/ - and admiring the great art. The game looks bad-ass!

I might add that I really like ZOE2 (if Otogi plays something like it).

otogi_wall02_800x600.jpg

wipeout364

I didn't find it much like Zone of the Enders. I really liked it though, it certainly has its own feel. It is fast, good camera and pretty frantic. Levels start to repeat half way through as you enter the darkside which is a bit of a downer. Lots of collectable weapons. I can't off the top of my head think of a game it really is like. It is great though pick it up.

Solid

So it's hard, long and repetitive? Then I think it's nothing for me. I might get it if I find it for a good price though. I can't stay away completely with such an awesome design! :B

Thanks.

BuG

It's not that long, I think I finished it in around 15 hours with everything unlocked. I'm pretty sure it was close to 15, either way I know it's not that long. Like belgurdo said, it does get kind of hard towards the latter half of the game, but it's nothing which can't be overcome by just re-doing the earlier levels in order to buy more powerful shit. Repetitive it is, but. I mean, there's Light and Heavy attacks plus Magic, and the combos consist of three button presses (combinations of Light, Heavy and Magic) which can be chained together, but that's about it as far as combat goes. It's fun, though, which is the main part (and quite prettiful).

I paid full price for mine and I didn't feel ripped off.

edit: Oh, and as for the levels which get repeated, I'd call them remixed. You play them in reverse, they look somewhat different, and it makes sense in the story as to why you return to these locations. That might be a cheap way out to try and explain why levels are repeated/remixed, but it's the explanation I like the best. :)

bloke

Or you could wait for PAL release of sequel i.e. Otogi 2, arguably better game in lot of ways, and less repetetive too. And yes both Otogis have some of the most inspired art in action games this generation.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
It's more of a 'collectathon' platformer than an action game... Not the most visceral experience around, but it's dripping with style and has great presentation.

Each level has a few objectives to consider:

-Accomplish whatever primary objective finishes the level(Kill a certain foe, reach the exit, etc...it varies)

-Destroy enough of the environment to release hidden souls trapped within trees, walls, jars, houses(ie. the collecting) You can re-visit levels as much as you desire to fulfill this requirement and continue breaking stuff. Game saves your progress, so you don't have to re-destroy everything if you are looking for that last standing tree somewhere.

-Unlock hidden weapons/spells/items by performing -optional- bonus objectives in each level. (Beat in 3:00, land a 700-hit combo, etc...) You pretty much need a faq to figure out what these hidden objectives are, but the rewards are usually nice and the challenges are generally enjoyable.

It's a pretty cool game, but the combat lacks depth. You can equip 40 or so weapons, but they all function the same outside of elemental and stat properties. You will spend most of the game using the exact same button string over and over. It is quite beautiful though, and worth a playthrough.

Supposedly Otogi 2 is quite overhauled.

RiZ III

When I first played it, I thought it sucked but I gave it another chance and realiized that its not too bad. It can be a bit repititive and hard, but still cool and pretty fun.

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
Yeah, it's a fun game. The camera can make the game confusing though, and the controls are a bit loose. But it's fun to just run around destroying stuff, since just about everything can be destroyed. And you can also find a lot of different weapons and accessories (although I found most of them kind of pointless/not much different from each other). Some stages are really tough (not only because the actual difficulty), which made the experience somewhat tedious.

Top Bottom