• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How is the PC version of Metal Gear Rising Revengeance?

I already played it on PS3 but It's currently for sale on Steam for $7.49. Tempted to bite at that price.
How is this version of the game? Any locked 30 FPS nonsense I need to worry about?
Any bad issues in general?

EDIT:

Well I already ran into 3 issues at the beginning of the game.

-The part where you are chasing Sundowner, I managed to slip past him and he somehow got stuck behind me and was running in place with half of his body in the ground texture.

-During the 2nd part of the Ray fight (on the rooftop), after jumping from missile to missile and then chopping off it's arm, it grabs Raiden with it's mouth and throws him into a clock tower. Well that clock tower didn't appear and Raiden was stuck in the pose at the moment he hits the wall (which was invisible). This caused a soft lock. The next scripted sequence didn't continue, but the music did, and I was able to access the start menu.

-Upon restarting the game, it got stuck in a infinite load screen...

Not feeling to great about this so far. Only 10 minutes in and I already came across 3 really annoying issues.

Awcko

Neo Member
There's some easily fixable fps issues in fullscreen if you're running hdmi-in, but otherwise it's basically flawless.

DonMigs85

It has a weird resolution and 24fps bug if you use an HDMI connection, but there's a software tool to fix that. And other than being able to run at 1080p it doesn't look dramatically better than the console versions.

Nillansan

I already played it on PS3 but It's currently for sale on Steam for $7.49. Tempted to bite at that price.
How is this version of the game? Any locked 30 FPS nonsense I need to worry about?
Any bad issues in general?

It's a great port besides the resolution lock, which can circumvented by using a mod. The mod made by GAF member, I would have provided you with a link, but I am on mobile.

It won't go over 60FPS, and you need to do a bit of tweaking to get it over 1080p, but other than that it's flawless. It includes the Blade Wolf and Jetstream Sam DLCs, and has a feature that lets you skip straight to the bossfights from the main menu (which isn't present in the console versions).

Also, the game itself is straight up amazing, so yes you should absolutely, 100% buy it for $7.50 :p

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
No issues, it also has additional content where you play as Blade Wolf and Samuel.
There are still issues but you can work around them.

1) When using a display connected via HDMI, many users have found that the game locks to 1080p24 when using full-screen mode. There are workarounds for this, of course, but it's annoying that the problem exists.

2) The game is limited to 1920x1080 maximum resolution and, of course, requires tweaking to bypass as well.

These two issues really gave me a one, two punch. My monitor is 1440p, which the game does not support out of the 'box', while my TV was starting in 1080p24. Ultimately I just worked around the 24hz bug and was able to achieve 1080p60 there.

I had almost forgotten until sitting down the other night in front of my TV to play it again - had my pad, started up the game, and...1080p24. Didn't feel like going back to the PC to fix it again so I just played something else. :\

Stevey

I couldn't get it to run at 1080p, just some weird 1080i mode which I didn't even know my monitor had.
Gave up on it.

There are still issues but you can work around them.

1) When using a display connected via HDMI, many users have found that the game locks to 1080p24 when using full-screen mode. There are workarounds for this, of course, but it's annoying that the problem exists.

2) The game is limited to 1920x1080 maximum resolution and, of course, requires tweaking to bypass as well.

These two issues really gave me a one, two punch. My monitor is 1440p, which the game does not support out of the 'box', while my TV was starting in 1080p24. Ultimately I just worked around the 24hz bug and was able to achieve 1080p60 there.

I had almost forgotten until sitting down the other night in front of my TV to play it again - had my pad, started up the game, and...1080p24. Didn't feel like going back to the PC to fix it again so I just played something else. :\

Ahh k. Well 1080/60 is fine by me. That's already like double the console version anyway. If I have too many issues within the first 2 hours of the game, I'll just refund it I suppose.

I have strange performance issues, on a i5-4690k and GTX 970 I'm almost always at ~45fps, even when staring at a blank wall. Never seen anyone else comment about such issues so I assume it's a problem unique to me.
I did soldier through it to beat the game once but barely touched it since because of that.

Isn't that free DLC on consoles?

I think it is free now, but it wasn't initially. I definitely paid for it (though I don't regret it at all).

There's some weird situation with the VR Mission DLC, too. It was free on PS3 but paid on 360, or something? Free in one region but not another? I can't remember any more :p

I think it is free now, but it wasn't initially. I definitely paid for it (though I don't regret it at all).

There's some weird situation with the VR Mission DLC, too. It was free on PS3 but paid on 360, or something? Free in one region but not another? I can't remember any more :p

Some DLC were free in Japan, some exclusive even.

Hypron

I had to buy all 3 DLCs on Xbox so it probably was a PS3 thing.

Also, I don't have my old avatar anymore but this game is so effin good.

ZeroX03

Banned

The DLC in the US on PS3 is free, but in EU it's still paid (and not discounted). Weird and annoying.

-The part where you are chasing Sundowner, I managed to slip past him and he somehow got stuck behind me and was running in place with half of his body in the ground texture.

-During the 2nd part of the Ray fight (on the rooftop), after jumping from missile to missile and then chopping off it's arm, it grabs Raiden with it's mouth and throws him into a clock tower. Well that clock tower didn't appear and Raiden was stuck in the pose at the moment he hits the wall (which was invisible). This caused a soft lock. The next scripted sequence didn't continue, but the music did, and I was able to access the start menu.

Not feeling too great about this so far. Only 10 minutes in and I already came across 3 really annoying issues.

Some bizarre, mildly annoying decision with exiting to the desktop.
You can't do it from in-game or the title screen... you have to select your save file, then it gives you the option to exit.

Well, now I wish I waited for it to be cheaper. I would refund, but, fuck it. It was $7.50. I'll swallow these initial issues in hoping nothing similar happens again, just so I can play in 60 FPS. Oh and the higher resolution isn't doing the game any favors. Now I notice how low detail the game is.

I've never had problems with it. Runs flawlessly. No glitches either.

No, no it doesn't. I already had to use an external source in order to get it running properly through HDMI.

I am encountering issues I have never seen in the PS3 version.

Great port. Runs well and I never had a single bug/glitch. Maybe OP should verify game file integrity?

*Runs well if not using HDMI.

This is not a great PC port.

Guess Who

Banned

Not feeling too great about this so far. Only 10 minutes in and I already came across 3 really annoying issues.

I played the whole game at launch, and went back quite a few times, and never had anywhere near this degree of issues. Not a high-spec PC either (Phenom II X4 955 BE, GTX 560 Ti, 4GB of RAM, 1080p).

The only real issue I ever had was when I went to hook it up to my TV and it ran at 24Hz, but third parties fixed that handily.

dawid

Played it alot just after the Steam-release with no problems other than the mouse cursor not disappearing. Easily fixed.

Please tell me more than just "flawless" it ran "great". What set up were you using?

Windowed mode+Borderless Gaming, done. A super small issue easily fixed, other than that, it runs beautifully on basically a toaster. Is it a perfect port? Not really. But shitting on it just because of that? Oh boy.

KHlover

Banned
Please tell me more than just "flawless" it ran "great". What set up were you using?
DVI monitor. Did also play it on my TV though. Running that tool isn't much of a hassle.

What else do you want to know?

My rig at the time was

GTX 770
Core i7 4790k
8GB RAM

Oh ya controller was WiiU Pro in Xbox mode via Mayswitch adapter.

Ran great/flawless/[...] whatever

EDIT:

Thanks to the poster below me for the mention of resolution. Pretty sure I also played in 4K, not sure if that was via Gedosato, NVIDIA DSR or sth else entirely. Still no bugs tho.

Windowed mode+Borderless Gaming, done. A super small issue easily fixed, other than that, it runs beautifully on basically a toaster. Is it a perfect port? Not really. But shitting on it just because of that? Oh boy.

Thanks for your dismissive post. Now run along to another thread and bother someone else.

Top Bottom