• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How long before peanut butter sandwiches go bad??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beergut

...at room temperature?

These are fully-made peanut butter sandwiches -- two pieces of bread with a glob of peanut butter in between -- sitting around at room temperature (in a baggie). Will they go bad quickly??? Will I die if I save them for a day or two and then eat them??

aoi tsuki

i just got through eating a peanut butter sandwich (i do this frequently), and my apartment is around 80 degrees so i'm probably best suited to answer this.

You'll be fine, but it might be better to leave the sandwich in the fridge, and let it "room temperaturize" before eating it. i eat Smucker's Natural Peanut butter, which i keep in my cupboard (refrigerator makes it too firm). My bread's been open for a couple of days. i'll probably move it to the fridge soon, because it tends to go bad much quicker in the heat.

Outside of the occasional surprise of slightly moldy bread (i've found that the slices that have yet to mold are generally okay, but they're going), i've never gotten sick.

Ecrofirt

About the only thing you'll have to worry about is the bread drying out. For whatever reason, it dries out on PB&J sandwiches after a day or so. I don't know if this will happen with plain peanut butter or not, however.

aoi tsuki said:
After eating natural peanut butter for so long, i can't go back to that processed peanut paste they pawn off as peanut butter. Blech.

Seriously. Natty PB is SO much better its rediculous.

It actually tastes like peanuts...amazing, isn't it?

aoi tsuki

Master Shake said:
You didn't have much of a childhood, did you Loverboy? :D
Uh no, i actually grew up on much of the same artificially flavored, chemically infused crap that everyone else did. My mom just had natural healthy alternatives to go along with the other stuff. For the most part, as an adult, i choose the healthier stuff.

Ecrofirt said:
About the only thing you'll have to worry about is the bread drying out. For whatever reason, it dries out on PB&J sandwiches after a day or so. I don't know if this will happen with plain peanut butter or not, however.
Been a while since i've bagged them, but bread shouldn't go too state in a day or two, especially in a bag at room temperature.

aoi tsuki said:
Uh no, i actually grew up on much of the same artificially flavored, chemically infused crap that everyone else did. My mom just had natural healthy alternatives to go along with the other stuff. For the most part, as an adult, i choose the healthier stuff.
Good for you.

Papi

It should be fine. If you get sick then just wait til your mutant healing powers kick in. Or be a man and just walk it off.

xsarien

daedsiluap
Beergut said:
...at room temperature?

These are fully-made peanut butter sandwiches -- two pieces of bread with a glob of peanut butter in between -- sitting around at room temperature (in a baggie). Will they go bad quickly??? Will I die if I save them for a day or two and then eat them??

Why can't you just put them in the fridge?

Memles

Peanut Butter and Chocolate Chips is where it's at, trust me people. I swear by them, and people always love them once actually trying them.

As for the question, I hate peanut butter sandwiches that have been out for like a few hours, but I don't think it will kill you.

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
it's JIF.

And I propose a month-long experiment for White Man, where he makes 30 peanut butter sandwiches at once, wraps them up and leaves them out at room temperature, then eats one a day for 30 days.

aoi tsuki said:
i eat Smucker's Natural Peanut butter, which i keep in my cupboard (refrigerator makes it too firm).
But the jar says to refridgerate after opening. Why is that? Is there some loophole I don't know about? I'd like to hear it, because carving that stuff out and "spreading" it on the bread is an act of futility once the top part with the oil is gone.

aoi tsuki

ConsumerSquare said:
But the jar says to refridgerate after opening. Why is that? Is there some loophole I don't know about? I'd like to hear it, because carving that stuff out and "spreading" it on the bread is an act of futility once the top part with the oil is gone.
Because there's no preservatives in it, so supposedly it'll go rancid faster than JIF, Skippy, etc. But IIRC those brands carry the same warning.

i've had jars in my cabinets for a few months, and they were still fine. i figure if various cooking oils can last months without refrigeration, that PB can last a month without it as well.

i just opened what looks like a 16oz jar a couple of days ago. i'll have it gone before the end of the month.

aoi tsuki said:
Hear hear! I thought I was the only one with natural preference around here. :)

MrToughPants

Brian Burke punched my mom
If you have any doubts throw it in the toaster it should be fine after. The peanut butter will be hot and creamy so it's a plus.

Nester

How about cold pizza from Dominos. Been in the fridge for about a week in a tupperware container. Still good?

aoi tsuki

SpeedRazor said:
How about cold pizza from Dominos. Been in the fridge for about a week in a tupperware container. Still good?
Should be. At least as good as week old pizza can be.

Seriously, everyone should be living alone, broke, and hungry some time in their life. :D

aoi tsuki said:
i've had jars in my cabinets for a few months, and they were still fine. i figure if various cooking oils can last months without refrigeration, that PB can last a month without it as well.
Good point! I'm going straight home and taking mine out of the fridge.

SpeedRazor said:

I ate Domino's leftovers in this condition once. I spent the next two days wanting to ****ing die
because my girlfriend made me feel like shit over something unrelated
. You should be fine.

Attack You said:
I ate Domino's leftovers in this condition once. I spent the next two days wanting to ****ing die
because my girlfriend made me feel like shit over something unrelated
. You should be fine.
I see what you did there ;)

Desperado

MrToughPants said:
If you have any doubts throw it in the toaster it should be fine after. The peanut butter will be hot and creamy so it's a plus.

how do you get a peanut butter sandwich into a toaster?

Desperado said:
how do you get a peanut butter sandwich into a toaster?

By its nuts. (rimshot)

Meanwhile we haven't heard from Beergut since earlier in this thread. We barely knew ye, my good friend.

:lol at this thread.

In all honesty, the sandwiches will go bad whenever the bread goes bad.

The peanut butter itself is definitely not going to go bad in a day or two (or even three).

sefskillz

shitting in the alley outside your window
jenov4 said:
I just made a PB and honey sandwich for a snack due to this thread. Thanks GAF!
natural pb and honey makes for an amazing sandwich. though i do refrigerate my natural pb, i find that it helps with all the oil that's in a new jar, it does start getting pretty hard as the amount of pb decreases though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom