• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How many video game bosses are trees?

Falk

that puzzling face
This is his next to final form.

8ycxTi3.png

Would you say that's his

peniletimate form

??

this thread got wood

KingBroly

Banned
Flaahgra? I guess that might be a Flower more than anything, even though it has roots.

Huh...I thought it was Flaagra. An internet search tells me otherwise. Weird.

Maou

If you want to get technical. Exdeath isn't so much the free as it is the countless demons that were sealed within a tree.
My inner pedant loves you. Even more technically, I guess he's "the dark mage who was born from the clustering of evil thoughts and spirits into a tree." He's still the evil tree par excellence in my book.

But what about a sexy evil tree? Lunar~Eternal Blue accomplished this only two years later with a boss whose roots attempt to drag NPCs underground to be devoured. Fortunately, the party gets to the root of the problem.

LUNAR%20%20ETERNAL%20BLUE_461.jpg

mclem

Oakheart in the Darkheart Thicket dungeon of WoW.

I think I'd argue that Ents aren't quite the same thing. But then, I would say that Il'gynoth from Emerald Nightmare counts, who is an old god who corrupted a tree... so YMMV.

While in real terms it's structured more as a puzzle than a combat encounter, the final antagonist in the original Alone In The Dark is basically a Cthulhu-flavoured tree.

Kangi

Several other as-of-yet unmentioned examples from WoW. Tendris Warpwood from Dire Maul West, Warp Splinter from Botanica, the three Elders in Ulduar, Witherbark from Everbloom... and of course, Ivus in Alterac Valley.

Tree-like "Ancients" are significant figures with Druids, so naturally a bunch of big, burly trees are associated with nature-themed dungeons and areas.

Sudowoodo technically counts as a boss to me. He's way overleveled by the time you find him in GSC/HGSS (Lv20 compared to wilds being Lv13-ish iirc), and he blocks your path after Violet City until you can beat Whitney and get the squirtbottle.

Though afaik he's actually not a tree at all and is really made of rock, so i might be cheating here.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
terr_mon_10249.jpg

Normal enemy, but this is a pretty sinister looking tree from Lineage 2

Justinh

I couldn't think of any tree bosses besides Dark Souls. I had no idea there were so many. The only thing that would come to mind were like... Treants from Wow, but those guys aren't bosses.

Would you say that's his
peniletimate form
lloKuip.gif

I'm going to go ahead and make like a tree...

ToastyFrog

Inexplicable Treasure Hate
I find the lack of etrian odyssey disturbing. The whole game revolves around uh trees.
Yeah. The ultimate secret bosses are often people who have attempted to merge with Yggsdrasil in some capacity. You don't get more "tree" than that.

Durthu from Total Warhammer's Realm of the Wood Elves DLC.
GIF4.jpg

He's a Legendary Lord, basically a faction leader, for the Wood Elves. He's one of the strongest units in the game--a total boss.

He's one of the few "tree bosses" I can think of that's also playable.

Top Bottom