• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How much gaming time do you have a week?

How much gaming time do you have a week on average?

• Less than 2 hours

Votes: 7 5.0%
  • 2-10 hours

Votes: 40 28.8%
  • 10-20 hours

Votes: 62 44.6%
  • 30-40 hours

Votes: 15 10.8%
  • 40-50 hours

Votes: 6 4.3%
  • 50-60 hours

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • 60 hours plus

Votes: 6 4.3%

• Total voters

JORMBO

Darkness no more
Depends on the release schedule. Xenoblade is out tomorrow so I will be playing a lot of hours. The past two weeks I've barely played anything. I can go through stretches where I game a lot each day and stretches where I don't game at all or only a small amount.

Doom85

Probably around 30-40 hours. Being single with no kids does seem to greatly expand your options of what to do with your time generally it seems.

MetalRain

Steams says about 39h for past 2 weeks and I don't think I've played more than usual. There are times when highly anticipated game arrives and it might be more like 30.

When thinking it like this I do play games a lot, it has essentially consumed all "TV-time" for me except some weekend Netflix binges.

Aidah

As much as I want basically. I don't work long that much, and thankfully I don't have kids. So from zero to as much as I want a week.

Back when I worked a lot I had limited gaming time.

JOEVIAL

Has a voluptuous plastic labia
Over the past 3 weeks it's been about 30hrs each week. I dislocated my shoulder out mountain biking, so I haven't been able to do much since then. Couldn't even hold a controller for the first few days which was awful, but yeah once I could hold a controller it was game time! I've seriously completed like 10 games in the past couple weeks. It's been amazing! But yeah, it's usually 10-15hrs a week... depends on the week and my mood.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
I Think I am lucky. I work 8am-4pm.
Have 5 minute car commute.
Apartment is not too big so not a lot of chores (almost none)
Have no kids
Lady don't care if I sit in front of a computer - we have no problem having our own free time
I can sit however long I can

Shai-Tan

Banned
I feel like I don't have time but then I look at Screen Time and I watch between 15-20 hours a week of YouTube. If that's even half accurate I need to find a way to squeeze that time into gaming, actually worthwhile tv, exercise, some other hobby.

teezzy

Banned
Just free time in general? I work 8 hours a day,and divide my remaining time between chores, errands, exercise, and social obligations. I like to wind down with TV or video games but dont make either a priority.

Moogle11

Banned
10-20 hours most weeks. Some times less or even none, sometimes more if I’m really into something and not as busy with work and other things.

IKSTUGA

I don't really have other hobbies, so 30-40 at least. Even when I'm hanging with friends were doing stuff like jackbox, mario kart or fighting games.

Hostile_18

Banned
Just free time in general? I work 8 hours a day,and divide my remaining time between chores, errands, exercise, and social obligations. I like to wind down with TV or video games but dont make either a priority.

Interesting. I find tv shows I can wind down with but with games my mind will be racing if I played them just before bed. 😊

Moogle11

Banned
Interesting. I find tv shows I can wind down with but with games my mind will be racing if I played them just before bed. 😊

For me it varies a lot by what I play. I mostly play easier (or turn down the difficulty) story-driven stuff and that's pretty good for winding down. If I'm playing something more challenging, then I usually try to quit earlier and have time to read a little on my Kindle in bed before trying to sleep.

Last edited:

Appleprosy

The wife and I are teachers with one kindergartener. I don't know how much I play, but I've been on break since the second week of March due to Spring Break and COVID-19. I have beaten a few Switch games, played a lot of Animal Crossing, and beat Days Gone. I'm currently playing inFamous: Second Son (again) and have about three PS4 games on standby. Even with other hobbies and laziness, I'm getting a lot of game time. Honestly, I'd say more than I need. Wife plays Animal Crossing a lot, and at times... we just have to stop playing for our sanity. So, i would hate to keep or get a count of actual time. Some days it's a lot. Some days it's none.

Mossybrew

During a normal full time work week I'd say in the neighborhood of 30 hours, just varying depending on what games I have going and what current shows might be taking chunks of my free time. Single, two kids but they're older and spend most of their time doing their own thing, so I have plenty of time outside of work hours.

Last edited:

Zero7

All depends on work, motivation and other life things.
Sometimes it could be 10 hrs a week, sometime it could be 30 hrs. I put 20hrs alone into FF7 Remake on it's first weekend of release

Arkam

Said 10-20. Have about 2 hours a night during the week and usually one whole day on the weekend. That said there are many times where I use this time to read or watch movies.... or just dick around on the net.

I have a lot of free time, but I find myself only gaming a couple hours a day at most, usually, although there are exceptions where I'll binge over stretches.

Variety is the spice of life.

It's funny, when I was married with a child and had tons of family responsibility (and a nagging wife :p) I always thought that if I was single I would game like a mad-man, and while I probably game a little more, it's not as much as I imagined.

Joe T.

It would be a wild guess if I averaged it out, gaming just isn't what it used to be for me - big studios gravitating towards story-driven content played a big role in that. I can go weeks/months without touching a game and then spend 60+ hours in a single week.

Moderation is key, I'm just not very good at it.

Fbh

Realistically I'd say around 15-20.
But if I'm really REALLY into a game and start dedicating it most of me free time I could probably do like 30 or 35

devDemonik

Neo Member
I've got a rule - 1 new game per month, no exceptions. 15-20 hours seems to be just right to be able to finish the avg game in that time.

Lately with covid and being laid off though that rule isn't holding up very well.

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
I probably average 5-15 hours depending on available time and what I'm playing.

Abear21

Banned
I’m 15 hours a week when working, wife no kids but work 55 hours a week.

Now that I’m on furlough bc of Covid it’s 50 hours a week lol, with the caveat I game between 12-5am 7 days a week, my backlog is finally shrinking and I knew I was hoarding all the games for something!

Havoc2049

I’m married, have a kid and work 50 hrs per week. I usually game about 1-3 hours per day on the days that I work. I work a swing shift (2PM-midnight) right now, so it’s easy to game before and after work. On my days off, I usually game anywhere from 1-10 hours per day, depending on what I have going on IRL. So overall, I game about 10-30 hours per week.

Stuart360

I picked 40-50 hours, but really its as much as i want as i split up with my girlfriend in Jan, and i'm single and live on my own.
Loving the freedom by the way lol.

Garnox

2-10 is the average for me.

I usually play from 8pm-10pm. That's right after we put the wee one down and before I crash for the night. Those two hours are our time.

If the missus wants to watch one of her shows, I'm playing my Switch Lite for those two hours. It's a pretty solid routine.

I used to wake up and play from 6am-8am to get in some game time on the weekends, but now that I'm playing more during the week due to working from home/Covid, don't really do that much anymore.

Last edited:

Phase

I'm very streaky with game time. My interest seems to come in waves. When I'm into it I can play upwards of 30hrs a week. But when I'm not it can be almost no play time at all for weeks.

Like right now, for example. I've gotten back into skateboarding and the past two weeks I've only had a couple gaming sessions.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
4 years ago I was probably hitting at 35-40 hours. I got married and that went down to maybe 15 or so. It’s gotten longer after having a baby. I wake up with the kiddo about every night after he gets fed. I either go to sleep or I go play. It’s been a lot more lately, especially if my wife plays. I typically range about 20-30 a week. I can typically finish a 30 hour campaign in a week if I plan it right. If I had it my way, my step daughter and I would play every single day after work. That’s unrealistic. My step daughter and I also wake up early on weekends and play all morning.

I use to have the baby in a carrier on my chest. I finished Death Stranding that way. It was fine and the baby was comforted. It was interesting playing while standing up. My wife and I do co-op when we can. I want to show her games and have her play them.

Her ex is an Xbox fan and played a bunch of stuff. I actually want her to play the games and have her own story. I got her Horizon Zero Dawn, BioShock Infinite, Diablo 3, and other various games. I’m currently watching her play FFVIIR. I dislike it when it’s just a one sided story of what she’s heard about. I typically get my work done and play while my wife gets her own time. Sometimes I just need rest without screens too.

Ceallach

Smells like fresh rosebuds
I have little time. I'm actively on deployment right now. I get like an hour in before I hit my rack sometimes.

njean777

about an hour or so a day after I get home from work/cook/take care of my dog. On the weekends it really depends on what I am doing. Some weekends I have all weekend, some I do not. Usually though I play most on weekends.

YukiOnna

Currently 30-40 hours or more, but of course it'll vary depending on how much I'm in the mood. I'm sure it'll drop significantly once university starts.

junguler

Banned
i have a stay at home job and alot of free time on my hands so i always play as much or as little as i want, it depends really, some weeks are movie/tv weeks (10-20 hours of gaming) and some are gaming weeks (30-45 hours of gaming).

Top Bottom