• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How often do you think about the Roman Empire?

Men of GAF, how often do you think about the Roman Empire?

• Every day

Votes: 45 22.6%
  • Every week

Votes: 45 22.6%
  • Every month

Votes: 28 14.1%
  • Rarely

Votes: 46 23.1%
  • Never

Votes: 33 16.6%
  • Not a man

Votes: 2 1.0%

• Total voters

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
The latest social media contagion. Women are in shock at how often men think about the Roman Empire.

lLaTiM7.png

(their actual names)

There's an interesting point to be made in how this highlights how the differences in the inner thoughts of men and women are likely greater than the differences in our outward interactions.

Mossybrew

I've also seen this meme making the rounds the last few days. I have to admit I rarely, if ever, dedicate thoughts to the Roman Empire of old.

diffusionx

Gold Member
I hate social media and I hate the simp men (like Zuck of course) playing along with this. I've read a lot of books on the RE/RR and have more to read. The last one I read was Luttvak's which I know has its criticisms but I thought it was insightful. These days I probably think more about the Greeks and the early Church when I do think about antiquity.

bitbydeath

Probably not every month as I tend to look forward more than I do backward but it definitely has the appeal of a simpler time.

6ac514b9c2c4283bbcc1f99fe102eb721b00ffa3.gif

Muffdraul

I honestly do think about it a lot. It wasn't that long ago that I learned the cool factoid that we here in "the West" are to this day essentially still living in the vestiges of the Roman Empire. The empire itself collapsed, but many of the countries of Western Europe never really veered off the tracks they were on. If the empire had somehow held together, the world we live in today probably wouldn't be all that different. We are still in fact in the historical era of the Roman Empire, we haven't moved on to the next era yet. Blows my mind!

I'm still holding out for an Assassin's Creed game set in ANCIENT ROME. Not Renaissance era Rome like Brotherhood, with a few nasty old ruins laying about the place. Ancient Rome proper, circa 100 BC to 100 AD, when those ruins were brand sparkling new. I like to think it's still coming, because I remember the first rumors of "Assassins Creed Empire" that was supposedly going to take place in Ancient Egypt, Ancient Greece, and Ancient Rome. We got Egypt and Greece... now give us ROME!

Last edited:
Huh, funny enough, I did actually think of it a few times. I think I saw a Caligula re-release trailer? Then I saw some memes a few days ago. This probably happens more often than I thought. what the fuck

I would guess that I think of the song Roam by the B-52s more than I think about Rome or it's empire.

The next closest thing would probably be one of the best scenes in The Life of Brian "what have the romans ever done for us?"

Aesius

I honestly do think about it a lot. It wasn't that long ago that I learned the cool factoid that we here in "the West" are to this day essentially still living in the vestiges of the Roman Empire. The empire itself collapsed, but many of the countries of Western Europe never really veered off the tracks they were on. If the empire had somehow held together, the world we live in today probably wouldn't be all that different. We are still in fact in the historical era of the Roman Empire, we haven't moved on to the next era yet. Blows my mind!

I'm still holding out for an Assassin's Creed game set in ANCIENT ROME. Not Renaissance era Rome like Brotherhood, with a few nasty old ruins laying about the place. Ancient Rome proper, circa 100 BC to 100 AD, when those ruins were brand sparkling new. I like to think it's still coming, because I remember the first rumors of "Assassins Creed Empire" that was supposedly going to take place in Ancient Egypt, Ancient Greece, and Ancient Rome. We got Egypt and Greece... now give us ROME!
Was gonna say the same thing. The Rome sections of AC: Origins were a tease. A massive, sprawling game set at the height of the Empire would be amazing.

-Minsc-

Rarely. The only times I think of it is when something references it, such as now. I do not think deeply.

Sleepwalker

Funnily enough I was reminded of spartacus earlier today and that sent me on a roman empire rabbit hole for a couple hours. I do seem to think about it (and greece) rather frequently.

AJUMP23

I probably think about it every day. I have a major interest in history and I enjoy Roman history and our own society has many similarities to roman.

jason10mm

Gold Member
At least once a week, but that's because it vies for brain ram with the viking conquest, the crusades, the reformation, the renaissance, hollow earth, egyptian engineering prowess, south pacific oceanic astronavigation, atlantis, the irish struggles, Mayan apocalypse prophesies, the connection between loch ness and south american dinosaur sightings, why Napolean went so far East, what really happened the Alexander the Great, how many astronauts visited Peru 600 years ago, and whether or not Jack the Ripper was really the court physician.

You know, all things equally valid and worthy of contemplation :p

Doom85

Excuse Me What GIF by Bounce

As a guy, can’t say I think of it much even when thinking of history. Like, Gladiator was a cool movie, a bunch of mostly made up shit, but still, but I’m not thinking about it every day.

Raonak

Banned
Almost never. I find human history a bit mundane.

But amongst the civilisations, I think about from time to time; indian, greek, persian, myan interest me a lot more.

I do spend a stupid amount of time thinking about space and cells.

Last edited:

bitbydeath

Excuse Me What GIF by Bounce

As a guy, can’t say I think of it much even when thinking of history. Like, Gladiator was a cool movie, a bunch of mostly made up shit, but still, but I’m not thinking about it every day.
Tell me you haven’t watched Spartacus without saying you haven’t watched Spartacus.

Kenpachii

multiple times a month.

its pretty cool to think about living in the roman empire and then question yourself where will we be in 2000 years from now, and that's where we life right now. We are living in the future.

poodaddy

I've never once considered it at all for any reason beyond a class in which we were specifically studying it, and I have absolutely no interest in the topic whatsoever. Do ya one more, I'm a bit surprised by this and I can't for the life of me imagine why anyone would randomly think about it throughout their day.

Kurotri

Hate to break it to you, but AC Empire was the internal codename for Valhalla.

Top Bottom