• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How often do you think about the Roman Empire?

Men of GAF, how often do you think about the Roman Empire?

• Every day

Votes: 45 22.6%
  • Every week

Votes: 45 22.6%
  • Every month

Votes: 28 14.1%
  • Rarely

Votes: 46 23.1%
  • Never

Votes: 33 16.6%
  • Not a man

Votes: 2 1.0%

• Total voters

FeralEcho

With news like this making the rounds more and more often i rather think of an exterminated human race cuz it seems we're going full on retarded with each passing day.

niilokin

Pretty often but I think more about how badass Mycenean Greek armors looked
FyP-tRcWcAAQItX.jpg

Last edited:

midnightAI

Doesn't it depend on what is on TV, Film, whatever is trending?

When I was watching the Spartacus series it was every day until I finished watching it + a while longer wishing there was more.
Gladiator, Plebs, Life of Brian, Pompeii and Up Pompei, Rome (series, awesome), even 300, although Greeco-Persian, still makes you think of Rome as they look like stereotypical gladiators.

So while I don't think of Rome randomly each day, if films or TV series about Rome come out then I do like to watch them

(I like to watch some reaction channels, especially ones with Americans who react to our British comedies and at the moment an American couple are reacting to Plebs once a week, so at the moment the answer to the poll is once a week for me)

Last edited:

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
Honestly, it is probably every day, especially if you include the Republic and Byzantium eras. This is probably not too surprising when you look at my avatar.

Also, I'm a history scholar and the Roman Empire is one of my favourite historical eras.

Cyberpunkd

Considering the Roman Empire laid the foundation of Europe we have today even if you do not know it you are probably thinking about it in some way each time you think about the European history.

Tams

The latest social media contagion. Women are in shock at how often men think about the Roman Empire.

lLaTiM7.png

(their actual names)

There's an interesting point to be made in how this highlights how the differences in the inner thoughts of men and women are likely greater than the differences in our outward interactions.

Calling one of your daughters 'August' and no 'Augusta'?!

Clearly not a true Roman weeb (reeb?).

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
Considering the Roman Empire laid the foundation of Europe we have today even if you do not know it you are probably thinking about it in some way each time you think about the European history.

I’m not trying to be a prick, but that’s a reductive vision of Europe’s history.

Cyberpunkd

Went back to check my kids' names, I'm at 2 out of 3 (but the third one is derived from Latin one, so I guess 2.5 out of 3).

Conor Mcgregor GIF by UFC

Last edited:

Dazrael

I often think of a fact about the Roman Empire that blows my mind. While the western Roman Empire fell in 476AD the eastern Roman Empire lasted until 1453, a mere 39 years before Columbus discovered America.

Jsisto

Lol stupid men with our introspection, philosophy and learning and caring about the past. Why can’t we do normal things like know what someone’s astrological sign is and what that says about them, and comment on The Dodo videos about how animals are better than us. Such lovable dolts, us men are!

Last edited:

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
I often think of a fact about the Roman Empire that blows my mind. While the western Roman Empire fell in 476AD the eastern Roman Empire lasted until 1453, a mere 39 years before Columbus discovered America.
Well, Islam started eroding the eastern empire’s territories as soon as the middle ‘700s. Constantinople had actually been more or less a mere city-state for about a century when it finally fell, its empire lost to neighboring forces long before.

Dazrael

Well, Islam started eroding the eastern empire’s territories as soon as the middle ‘700s. Constantinople had actually been more or less a mere city-state for about a century when it finally fell, its empire lost to neighboring forces long before.
Yeah that’s understandable, an empire doesn’t go from its greatest height to nothing overnight. At the end there was hardly anything left. Still history does record that date when it finally fell.

Toots

Gold Member
Piping hot take :
We're at the end of the roman empire (the concept of society it represents anyway).
Rome is falling and we as its citizens are afraid.

Extremely mild take :
Zuck is a cuck, who thinks he's Cesar but is in fact Nero. Facebook is his burning of Rome, except he didn't burn some buildings one can build back, he burned our collective mind. Hard to recover from that :/

Stitch

Gold Member
Apart from the sanitation, the medicine, education, wine, public order, irrigation, roads, a fresh water system, and public health, what have the Romans ever done for us?

Nitty_Grimes

Made a crappy phPBB forum once ... once.
EviLore EviLore I'm disappointed you posted an X with Y'ALL in it :(

However I do think about the Romans everyday. I mean what did they ever do for us?

Last edited:

Trunx81

You guys should read the Codex Alera series by Jim Butcher.
Romans with Pokémon against the Zerg. It´s great!

Because it's been romanticized and a source of pride and nationalism from Italians and Europeans alike. The Roman Empire did a lot of good, but it did bad also like any empire in history. The same thing happened to the Spartans of Greece, who are seen as protectors of Europa from the brown-skinned Persians who wanted to conquer them and turn them all into slaves, when in fact the majority of Spartan population were slaves lol.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
once a month. Sometimes multiple times a month.

last time i discussed this with my dad was a couple of weeks ago.

I think men are just into history and sports. I think about sports and video games everyday. History pretty much every other day. World War 2, World War 1, Alexander, Socrates, Plato, Roman Empire, the pyramids! lmao.

Toons

Men dreaming of when men were men.

Yeah, when they'd pair you up as a teen with a much older man who would routinely penetrate you so you could "develop a close bond!"

Ain't nothing manlier than that!

Now, I don't spen a ton of time thinking about the romans... but I spend plenty of time thinking about things derived from their introductions to society so.... I guess that kinds counts but that seems like a rigged scale.

Last edited:

Toons

You'll have to forgive people like him who are super woke and therefore don't acknowledge the explicit gendering of Latin and all it's descendant languages

Zuckerberg definitely knows more about languages than you do lol. He named them exactly what he wanted to make them.

BossLackey

Gold Member
All the time.

I try to practice Stoicism and I love ancient history. I have many books on ancient Rome.

It's amazing what they did and were capable of.

RAÏSanÏa

Considering the importance of Down with the Patriarchy with some women I thought it would've been higher. Particularly to the spiritually inclined with Cleopatra as Deity and the difference between the establishment of Venus Victrix and Venus Genetrix in uniting Rome and Egypt. Perhaps glamour confuses on a larger scale with details still uncertain and muddied. Women in my circle have historical interests and some freedom from survival concerns for creative efforts and introduced me to Roman related things so they are aware if not continuously thinking about it.

I think about the disintegration of the Roman Empire as part of a continuum often.
DaS3ELc.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom