• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How PS4 Pro enhances Horizon: Zero Dawn

As we showed at the PlayStation 4 Pro reveal event last month in New York City, the extra power of the new hardware allows us to get even closer to our vision for a lush and vibrant living world. The extra detail in the natural environment and the enhanced colors really add to the experience.

We’ve used the PS4 Pro’s enhanced hardware to do some exciting things for Horizon Zero Dawn’s art style. For us, Horizon Zero Dawn is all about scope, scale and visual splendor. Though the game is technically post-apocalyptic (or perhaps more accurately, post-post apocalyptic) we wanted to create a vision of nature reclaiming the Earth. PS4 Pro’s power afforded us a number of interesting possibilities to expand this vision even further.

For starters, for players who still possess standard 1080p HDTVs, we’re able to offer far better image quality. We’ve got a number of techniques at our disposal. The most logical one is supersampling. This is a very high-quality anti-aliasing technique, which basically means we internally render at a higher resolution (close to 4K) before shrinking it down to the final 1080p resolution.
As our internal calculations are done at a resolution much higher than 1080p, more detail survives before we shrink it down to 1080p, resulting in smoother edges – virtually no jaggies – and a more stable image.

We’re also looking at enhancing the quality of our shadow maps and increasing the quality of our anisotropic filtering. This is a technique which increases the quality of texture sampling, resulting in more detailed environment textures. We still have to tweak these elements of the 1080p output quality for the final game, but we have quite a bit of power yet to play with.

In addition, Horizon Zero Dawn on PS4 Pro will fully support users with 4KTVs, outputting at a much higher resolution. We’re rendering 2160p checkerboard, which is a special technique that looks incredibly good on a 4K TV. You’re going to notice a ton of subtle details, from stitching on Aloy’s outfit, individual leafs and branches swaying in the wind, kilometers away in the distance and more detail in all machines and NPCs in the world.
Then there’s HDR, or high dynamic range, which is a brand-new feature that enhances the range of colours we can display. It’s very exciting and hard to explain, as it’s something which most people haven’t ever seen before, so they don’t know what to expect. You can’t print it, it’s not in cinemas, your phone’s screen can’t do it. The only thing that you can compare HDR with is reality.

We normally have to do a lot of work in the engine to take an internal high dynamic range image and then make it suitable to be displayed on a normal TV. A lot of colour fidelity gets lost in the process. If you own an HDR-enabled TV, we don’t have to lose that data and you’re looking at the image in its full glory, with brighter and deeper colours, more contrast and vibrancy, in its pristine state. The benefits are truly awesome. For me as a developer, the most exciting thing about the PS4 Pro is that it provides a lot of extra processing power. It will be interesting to come up with different ways to put that additional horsepower to use – from finding more efficient ways to output at high resolution, to giving non-4K players more display options, and much more.
https://blog.eu.playstation.com/201...id=793452904854065152&adbpl=tw&adbpr=36969785

As a 1080p TV only owner...

Downsampled Horizon sounds so damn good.

Seems like the price of Pro justified right there for me.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
Seeing footage of this in 4K has made me a serious believer in the PS4 Pro, it looked absolutely stunning.

Ooo baby that 1080p doesn't sound too bad. This was my entry to the pro and a 4ktv maybe I'll wait even longer I'll have to see.(on the tv not the pro)

Can't wait to see what Guerilla Games can achieve by throwing more power at their engine because what they already have going on is insane!

psychotron

I'll be very happy if a lot of games offer the downsampled approach, with a nice stable framerate. I won't be going 4k for a little while, so it's nice not to be left out.

As our internal calculations are done at a resolution much higher than 1080p, more detail survives before we shrink it down to 1080p, resulting in smoother edges – virtually no jaggies – and a more stable image.

We’re also looking at enhancing the quality of our shadow maps and increasing the quality of our anisotropic filtering. This is a technique which increases the quality of texture sampling, resulting in more detailed environment textures. We still have to tweak these elements of the 1080p output quality for the final game, but we have quite a bit of power yet to play with.

That's all I need to know.

Sounds good. Looking forward to trying PS4 Pro soon. I won't be able to play mine until the last week of the month, but very excited to see FFXV on it. Horizon will stunning I am sure when it is released.

Mokubba

Saw the game running on a 4K TV with HDR at EGX earlier this year.

It was a sight to behold and it hit me even more when i played the same footage on my computer monitor and it just looked washed out.

Adam M

Looking forward to those colors. most games looks unrealistic because of the lame colors.

Colors are so underrated by most people, not just in games, movies as well. Realistic colors can boost the experience very much

bombshell

As a 1080p TV only owner...

Downsampled Horizon sounds so damn good.

Seems like the price of Pro justified right there for me.

That will be the automatic effect in all games that don't provide a specific 1080p mode.

When the game is rendered in above 1080p resolution, but played on a 1080p TV, the IQ will benefit tremendously from the downsampling.

That will be the automatic effect in all games that don't provide a specific 1080p mode.

When the game is rendered in above 1080p resolution, but played on a 1080p TV, the IQ will benefit tremendously from the downsampling.

For sure. But in an open world game like Horizon, I hold that effect to a higher value just because of the difference in sheer number of things and area being rendered.

To summarize

Standard 1080p

- Supersampling means virtually no jaggies
- Better shadow maps
- Better AF

PS4 Pro

- 2160p Checkboard rendering to 4K

Gator86

Have they said that officially? It would make sense, but it pays not to assume.

dugdug

Banned
Not to sound like a Debbie-downer, but, are Pro versions of games just gonna boil down to less jaggies and brighter colors? Granted, I haven't seen the Pro in person, but, none of this really entices me to upgrade.

Savantcore

Unconfirmed Member
I've seen this in person, and inFamous First Light, and holy smokes I wasn't ready for that kind of upgrade. It's been parroted plenty already, but it's something you certainly need to see in person.

BigEmil

This and Nioh are the main ones tempting me to buy PS4 Pro.
Nioh Alpha had three modes, movie mode 30fps 1080p, action mode 60fps lower res and I think lower effects not too sure, and last one was called Variable mode which is 1080p with unlocked fps likely mostly for PS4 Pro to run at 1080p 60fps. Ah both Horizon and Nioh is on my top priority list can't wait.
Horizon on 1080p TV enhancements sounds alright, downsample + higher AF, don't care about shadows hardly notice that.

jrcbandit

Sounds great for 1080p, I don't game on my 4k tv so I'm all for better 1080p support with super sampling and better frame rates.

JP

Hell yes, as a 1080p user this is exactly the sort of thing I want as an option in games.

I don't feel that it's sensible for me to get a 4K TV for about two or three years when things have started settling down with the technology and I don't ever wish that I did have a 4K TV at all, but, I'll be honest and say that after experiencing a good 4K TV I really do feel that I'm missing out on something pretty significant by not having a good quality HDR setup to play these games on.

It's one of those things that is so difficult to explain to people who haven't experienced it but it really is transformative.

Then there’s HDR,..................., your phone’s screen can’t do it

wait, but my Samsung S7 has the HDR Option when i take pictures!? Doesnt my screen show that picture in HDR? that would make no sense.

JP

wait, but my Samsung S7 has the HDR Option when i take pictures!? Doesnt my screen show that picture in HDR? that would make no sense.
I don't know anything about your screen but HDR in photography isn't really related to HDR in TVs, they're very different things although they are ever so slightly related. It's really unfortunate that both have ended up with the same name as it can be really misleading.

Love all this talk of 1080p improvements. as someone who has a 1080p Plasma and is getting the Pro. Think I will stay at 1080 until the PS5 or my TV dies, which ever comes first.

Angel_DvA

Still no comparaison screens ? I'll take 1080p with better details/performance over 4Kinda anyday, without screens from both version, it's difficult to say which one is better, the differences between both of them must be minimal.

To summarize

Standard 1080p

- Supersampling means virtually no jaggies
- Better shadow maps
- Better AF

PS4 Pro

- 2160p Checkboard rendering to 4K

the interesting thing about this is that it implies that the 4K mode on PS4 Pro will see the better shadow maps and AF as well. If they are already rendering the 4K output and then supersamping down to 1080p with those added improvements then they can also include those and just output the 2160p checkerboard in 4K. it seems they are finding quite a bit of extra horsepower in the new gpu which is awesome.

alarre1

Neo Member
Thinking about returning my PSVR now and getting a Samsung KS8500 with PS4 Pro. I can see myself using the TV and PS4 Pro a lot more than the PSVR.

Still no comparaison screens ? I'll take 1080p with better details/performance over 4Kinda anyday, without screens from both version, it's difficult to say which one is better, the differences between both of them must be minimal.

4K kinda should look better than image downsampled to 1080p and then upscaled to 4K for 4K TV

I need some way of saving about £1000 for a PS4 Pro and a decent 4K TV before this game launches... any ideas would be appreciated!

EDIT - I saw a guy playing this on PS4 Pro at a PSVR event I went to a few weeks ago, and it looked absolutely fucking outrageous for an open world game. Like, the level of detail and fidelity to the visuals was amazing.

Can I have the option for 1080 60fps? That would be too good to be true. Hope they focus on performance first over graphics. At least have a stable 30fps please.

Moodz

I don't really understand, and it has been bothering me for a while as a 4k TV owner.
I read that as 1080p will look better except for resolution.
Is that really the case? Will we see jaggies in 4k? Will 1080p have details we don't have in 4k?

I really hope we can choose the mode when on a 4k TV.

i'm completely fine with the scaling down for 1080p tv.

makes me want to get a Pro. Might give it a year or so though. def not going to be an early adopter as it's not 100% necessary

Can I have the option for 1080 60fps? That would be too good to be true. Hope they focus on performance first over graphics. At least have a stable 30fps please.

The entire purpose of the Pro is pretty much improved visuals though. Some mentions of smoother frame rates, but not frame rate boosts. At least, not for regular games; PSVR will definitely benefit!

Gator86

Love all this talk of 1080p improvements. as someone who has a 1080p Plasma and is getting the Pro. Think I will stay at 1080 until the PS5 or my TV dies, which ever comes first.

100% me. I just can't convince myself to get a new TV right now.

Also, I mean improved AF means the presence of AF given the PS4's struggles.

I'm extremely happy to see confirmation that the "Pro" mode for Horizon is focusing on image quality. Seems like an absolute dream for those who are interested in that kind of stuff. At the same time, it means people like me won't feel like we're getting the "downgraded" version of the game.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Not to sound like a Debbie-downer, but, are Pro versions of games just gonna boil down to less jaggies and brighter colors? Granted, I haven't seen the Pro in person, but, none of this really entices me to upgrade.

It depends on the developer. What else do you expect generally? Better graphics are only available to a point. Horizon was built specifically for PS4, so they aren't going to have significantly better assets ready to put into the game like a PC game would, their development pipeline isn't built like that.

Sounds nice but I'd still take a 1080p native + lesser AA and all bells and whistles version over that

There is no 'all bells and whistles'. This game is the same game as the PS4 version but refined.

1080p and any traditional non SSAA solution you could think of would be inferior to SSAA by default.

The CPU won't allow that. And their engine doesnt even support 60fps. So stable 30 is what you will get.

As an owner of a 1080p TV with plans to get a Pro next week, this is exactly what I wanted to hear.

I will eventually upgrade next year, but I'm a little worried I'll pick it up next week and not really have anything to show it off.

Still, it's all about future-proofing.

Top Bottom