• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How PS4 Pro enhances Horizon: Zero Dawn

Lmfao I like how they make it sound like there's only the odd person with a 1080p set kicking around still in this day and age. Isn't 4k like 1-2% of the market?!

But ya good to see we will get good improvements using the Pro hardware.

Better be a rock solid 30fps if playing at 1080p on the Pro. Anyone who still thinks shaky performance is a worth while trade of for super sampling having just invested in a new console really needs to get their priorities straight.

Melchiah

As a 1080p TV only owner...

Downsampled Horizon sounds so damn good.

Seems like the price of Pro justified right there for me.

Agreed, especially if that's something that most, if not all, 1st party developers will do as well.

I'm very happy about the 1080p enhancements, as I'm not going to switch to 4K any time soon.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
For starters, for players who still possess standard 1080p HDTVs, we’re able to offer far better image quality. We’ve got a number of techniques at our disposal. The most logical one is supersampling. This is a very high-quality anti-aliasing technique, which basically means we internally render at a higher resolution (close to 4K) before shrinking it down to the final 1080p resolution.

Say no mo fam!

Guerilla are really something. Most devs are checkerboarding to 1800p, but they are checkerboarding to 2160p, that's definitely more demanding ......(to checkerboard to full 4k that is)....No wonder people were immensely impressed by this title.....

It seems also that they still have lots of legroom to do much more with the Pro, this bodes well with titles that will be developed day one on the Pro.......

Just give us Shadowfall checkerboarded to 2160p when you have some downtime GG....60fps should be quite doable too.

LOL hold up. So most devs are checkerboarding up to 1800p? So what's gapping the rest of the way to 2160p?

I thought the games rendered at 1800p and then checkerboarded up to 2160p.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
LOL hold up. So most devs are checkerboarding up to 1800p? So what's gapping the rest of the way to 2160p?

Checkerboarding is with two 1080p images and the rest of the pixels are filled automatically via an algorithm, effectively checkerboarding is giving the full 4K pixels.

At least that's what I understood by it.

That's what I thought was happening too. I'm really confused. Why checkerboard only to 1800p?

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
That's what I thought was happening too. I'm really confused. Why checkerboard only to 1800p?
Checkerboard rendering needs to be an even scale to work. It is NOT the same as standard upscaling and can't be done from arbitrary resolutions. Cerny mentioned that most of the titles using it to hit 4K were something like 1920x2160 then checkerboarded. For 1080p the base res would just be lower. I expect checkerboard 1800 to be the 900p equivalent on the Pro.

John from DF has remarked that even checkerboard 1800p looks excellent on 4K displays.

Planet

Checkerboard 1800p compared to checkerboard 2160p is the same difference as 900p is to 1080p. If devs go for the former, it is because the power doesn't suffice for higher resolution. After the checkerboard process it is then upscaled in a traditional way to 4K output. Should still look good at regular viewing distances.

Checkerboard rendering needs to be an even scale to work. It is NOT the same as standard upscaling and can't be done from arbitrary resolutions. Cerny mentioned that most of the titles using it to hit 4K were something like 1920x2160 then checkerboarded. For 1080p the base res would just be lower. I expect checkerboard 1800 to be the 900p equivalent on the Pro.

John from DF has remarked that even checkerboard 1800p looks excellent on 4K displays.
So it's not possible to checkerboard to full 2160p? Apologies if it's a dumb question, but I assumed 1800p was the equivalent of 900p today, i.e. render 1800p native and reconstruct (not upscale in the traditional sense) to 2160p.

I'm not too knowledgable about this, obviously.

So it's not possible to checkerboard to full 2160p? Apologies if it's a dumb question, but I assumed 1800p was the equivalent of 900p today, i.e. render 1800p native and reconstruct (not upscale in the traditional sense) to 2160p.

I'm not too knowledgable about this, obviously.

Checkerboard 2160p is an image reconstructed to 2160p. Native 2160p is brute force with the full 3840x2160 pixel count no tricks. On normal tv viewing distances the differences are minimal

1800p checkerboard is not 3200x1800 full pixel count, it is also 1800p reconstructed.
(What I have concluded based on everything provided thus far )

Top Bottom